Ryan_Shack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is doing plyometrics, sprints and agility training on workout days ok?

I know that doing cardio on workout days isn't a good idea, but what about plymetrics, agility and sprin training?

I know alot of people use a workout out similar to this:

mon: weight training
    tue: plyometrics, sprints
    wed: weight training
    thur: plyometrics, sprints
    fri: weight training
    sat+sun: off

I prefer to go to the gym 5 days a week and work each muscle group seperate, so I have the most energy possible for each muscle group and to keep time in the gym down.

so I was thinking of a workout similar to this:

mon: (A.M) chest, (P.M) plyometrics, sprints, agility
    tue: back
    wed: (A.M) shoulders, (P.M) plyometrics, sprints, agility
    Thur: legs
    fri: (A.M) arms, (P.M) plyometrics, sprints, agility
    sat+sun: off

Instead of doing plyometrics, sprints, agility three times a week, I coul split it up and do something like this:

mon: (A.M) chest, (P.M) heavy plyometrics (squat jumps, box jumps, etc.), sprints
    tue: back
    wed: (A.M) shoulders, (P.M) light plyometrics (high knees, butt kicks, etc.), agility
    thur: legs
    fri: (A.M) arms, (P.M) heavy plyometrics, sprints
    sat: light plyometrics, agility

thanks in advance
    Ryan

Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Reps n Sets is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's fine.

Do it before you lift, the longer in between the two sessions the better.
    美國海軍陸戰隊 E5, USMC 06'-14'
    ♦ ɴɣϲ ϲrew ♦
    *Misc Photography Crew*

“In order for man to succeed in life, God provided him with two means, education and physical activity. Not separately, one for the soul and the other for the body, but for the two together. With these two means, man can attain perfection.” - Plato

bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bucfan24 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    its almost the exact same scheadule i have. exept i do cleans on tuesdays in the morning and then after practice i do this exercise where i get a 45lb weight and i lift it straight over my head and i squat down and shuffle slowly with it for 2 min. i have no idea what it does but i saw some people do it in the gym about 5 months ago and it makes my back soar as hell so i fugure its doing something

Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000) Vermonta is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just so you know there are far more optimal ways to train for sports than body part splits.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf The Grey

DH87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I Do Plyometrics On Days That I Do Cardio And Lift...

Such A Great Way To Build Agility And Endurance

ChrisBielke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisBielke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisBielke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisBielke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisBielke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ChrisBielke has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Ryan,

How much volume can you handle? Do you recover fast after workouts?

Also, when I look at your split I see something that you might want to think about. It seems like you are trying to combine athletic training and bodybuilding. It can be done, but at the expense of one or the other. In your case, I'm sure you'd rather be stronger, faster, and jump higher, right?

Write down the long term goals that you want to attain athletically and in the weight room. Then break it down to medium term goals. Now, build an 8 weight program (short term) that will get you moving towards your loftier athletic goals. Be specific.

biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I did agility work and lifted weights and ran five days a week. I also ate alot of food. lol. I am no expert either but it did pay off for me.
    ^^FORMER 300+ Pound Crew^^

If you fall down 7 times, stand up 8!

Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ChrisBielke View Post
    Ryan,

Also, when I look at your split I see something that you might want to think about. It seems like you are trying to combine athletic training and bodybuilding. It can be done, but at the expense of one or the other. In your case, I'm sure you'd rather be stronger, faster, and jump higher, right?

Write down the long term goals that you want to attain athletically and in the weight room. Then break it down to medium term goals. Now, build an 8 weight program (short term) that will get you moving towards your loftier athletic goals. Be specific.
    Correct, it can be done, but it is far from optimal.
    LIFES A GARDEN, DIG IT

I deadlifted 475 yesterday, WAY TO GO IDAHO

tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tonester is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ChrisBielke View Post
    Ryan,

Ding ding ding...reps.
    "Adapt and overcome."

"Everything you need is inside you."

Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000) Not So Big is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by chillwithit View Post
    reps dictate everything by the way, and in this guys case (as well as most high school and college athletes) there is no such thing as how fast do you recover, minimum is 36-48 hours, and optimal being 72-96 hours, so really if he does this schedule

high intensity
    high intensity
    high intensity
    high intensity
    high intensity
    high intensity
    off

when the **** does he have any time to recover?

lol
    Lulz
    LIFES A GARDEN, DIG IT

I deadlifted 475 yesterday, WAY TO GO IDAHO

mattmatt22 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you will be fine, just take saturday off also instead of just sunday
    Bench: 285
    Box squat: 415
    Deadlift: 510
    Clean: 245

trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) trackfiend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what is your goal? I agree that bodybuilding and training for sports are two separate things. I trained 3x week with power lifts, cleans, jerks, push press, squats, bench.. and 3x maintenance lifts, lat pulls, biceps, triceps, etc.. Plyos and sprints should be done before lifts, or lift early in the morning and do moderate sprint endurance workout at night. Get your protein and carbs between plyos and weights.
    If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.

No one conquers who doesn't fight.

The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) The_LB_43 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by Vermonta View Post
    Just so you know there are far more optimal ways to train for sports than body part splits.
    x10
    I rep U.S. Marines on sight.

9/26 - 165lb, 245 bench, 345 squat, 430 deadlift ,205 powerclean, 4.75 40, Must haz moar speedz and x-plosion :(

5'6" and completly flat-footed with almost 0% arch
    Rugby right now...hopefully can be a runningback next year for football
    Everyone wants to fight until they get punched in the mouth
    Negged because I refused to nuthug a cocky f*ggot

Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's fine as long as you space it out. For example, if you were to perform a dynamic warmup, then plyometrics for a half hour to 45 minutes and go straight into an hour weight training workout, you're body will most likely be in a catabolic state during your workout. Meaning your body will not have sufficient remaining glycogen stores to be broken down into sugar and used as energy, therefore breaking down proteins ect.. for energy.
    B.S. Exercise Science, CSCS, NASM-CPT, CES

Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigrob45 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    to exasperate fully loaded glycogen stores would be severely hard and in such a short workout frame, dont worry about your glycogen stores if you eat proper nutrition (40/30/30 split or something of that nature), eat 60 minutes before you workout, and take bcaas during your workout, you wont enter a catabolic state, your training for explosion and power buddy, your not running a marathon.
    Actually, if he were running a marathon, fat would be his main source of energy. Also, doing plyometrics for 45 minutes prior to strength training may cause neuromuscular fatigue in athletes as well. Lastly, being at the gym for 2 hours is not a "short workout frame."
    B.S. Exercise Science, CSCS, NASM-CPT, CES

WallBall55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallBall55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallBall55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallBall55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallBall55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallBall55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) WallBall55 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    according to a muscle and fitness magizine that came out a few months ago the minnesota Vikings do their weight training followed directely by either speed/agillity/conditioning

tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10) tkxii is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    reps dictate everything by the way, and in this guys case (as well as most high school and college athletes) there is no such thing as how fast do you recover, minimum is 36-48 hours, and optimal being 72-96 hours, so really if he does this schedule

high intensity
    high intensity
    high intensity
    high intensity
    high intensity
    high intensity
    off

when the **** does he have any time to recover?

lol
    yea, eventually you will just get worse, and worse, and won't be able to finish your workouts. Your levels of cortisol will increase, and testosterone will decrease, and you'll be overtrained in less than 2 weeks. Unless, you supplement with like ZMA at night, eat a ****load, glutamine, HMB, creatine, anything anticatabolic, steroids being the best optin of course, lol, But i'm under the assumption that you're tairning your legs 5 adys a week, that just does not work.