Why So S3ri0us? (((A^T^R)))_old's Avatar
    (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Quick 1 minute oats Versus Old Fashioned Oats

I got both sitting here in front of me in the big Quaker Oats tubs. What I don't understand is how the thinner rolled oats have a higher GI than the old fashioned oats.

Both are identical in ingredients and nutrition facts.

Old
    Fashioned:http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourP...fm?productid=3

How can one have a higher GI than the other?

Quick 1 Minute:http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourP...fm?productid=1

Here is what Alan said in the sticky.

Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    POSTWORKOUT

thinly rolled non-prepacketed oats (which many don't realize have a GI of appx 65-75 as opposed to the low-GI the steel-cut or old-fashioned type)
    I usually grind the oats up real thin in a blender and keep a jug of oats in my truck at school and add them to a shake if I don't have time for a meal. Should I only use Old fashioned or Steel Cut for a MRP. Are the Quick 1-minute too high of a GI carb source.

Or am I just splitting hairs here???

A concise answer would be helpful.

-ATR-

KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000) KryptoKnight is just really nice. (+1000)
    Old fashioned and Steel cut have basically the same GI value, which should be used in a meal. The quick oats can be used PWO since they're a higher GI, but I myself use regular oats PWO. It really doesn't matter which you use PWO, just use the steel cut or old fashioned for meals.

(((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KryptoKnight View Post
    Old fashioned and Steel cut have basically the same GI value, which should be used in a meal. The quick oats can be used PWO since they're a higher GI, but I myself use regular oats PWO. It really doesn't matter which you use PWO, just use the steel cut or old fashioned for meals.
    I grind my oats up in a blender. Would this change the GI of the oats regardless of them being steel cut, old fashioned, or thinly rolled?

I'm still 27 in hex :) Plato458's Avatar
    Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The rough explanation...

GI is about how quickly the foodstuff releases its nutrients ie carbs.

Fast oats are smaller, thinner, more crushed down so they have a bigger surface area = it's easier for them to be digested and cooked.

So whole oats = lowest GI variant > big rolled oats > steel cut > totally crushed and dusty i.e. microwave oats. Depending on how mashed the blender leaves them - they are going to be at the higher GI end.

Px
    Last edited by Plato458; 01-17-2007 at 04:58 PM.
    Never Give Up Never Surrender ;-P

I did once and look what happened - 30% BF

skinnychubbyguy "Hole in my underwear... What is the purpose of the hole on the front? I mean they stitch up the other side, but they leave the one opening on the front open, wtf is the point? My balls don't get that sweaty to air out, and I don't pull my dick through it to piss or anything else, so is there a legit reason for this?"

saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Plato458 View Post
    The rough explanation...

Fast oats are smaller, thinner, more crushed down so they have a bigger surface area = it's easier for them to be digested and cooked.

So whole oats = lowest GI variant > big rolled oats > steel cut > totally crushed and dusty i.e. microwave oats. Depending on how mashed the blender leaves them - they are going to be at the higher GI end.

Px
    good explanation.

Originally Posted by Plato458 View Post
    The rough explanation...

Px
    So your saying if I take the lowest GI variant (big rolled oats) and grind them in a blender where I can down the taste of death a little easier; I'm ultimately turning a slow burning carb into a fast absorbing carb that causes a higer insulin spike just because I changed the physical attributes of the oats by making them smaller?

Please tell me this isn't so.

Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Afraid so - they still won't be as super high as dextrose but they will digest faster. Same effect as protein powders being assimilated more quickly than a chicken breast.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it - unless you're super carb sensitive (which I assume you're not) it won't make a much difference compared to all the other things that you're doing/eating.

Stupid question, how many cups of oats are you trying to disguise in your shakes ? I can't eat them like that BLECH texture. I make porridge and oat cakes with mine and they're a million times better than dry with water or skimmed milk.

Px

skinnychubbyguy "Hole in my underwear... What is the purpose of the hole on the front? I mean they stitch up the other side, but they leave the one opening on the front open, wtf is the point? My balls don't get that sweaty to air out, and I don't pull my dick through it to piss or anything else, so is there a legit reason for this?"

markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I use about 90g of oats to 600ml of skimmed milk to 1 scoop protein powder. Tastes damn fine
    "The hardest part in lifting, is NOT to lift..." - Me

First meet results:
    Squat 140kg (+15kg PR)
    Bench 130kg (+10kg PR)
    Deadlift 185kg (+25kg PR)

Second meet results:
    Squat 175kg (+5kg PR)
    Bench 140kg (= PR)
    Deadlift 210kg (+5kg PR)

There in no disguising the oats death like presence. But I eat them like it is my job.

1.5 cups of oats in morning shake w/ skim milk and 50 grams of protein powder and 10 grams bulk leucine.

3/4 cup oats in MRP shake w/ Tablespoon of flax and 50 grams protein powder
    (w/ skim milk also)

3/4 cup oats in PWO shake along with 50 grams protein powder, 15 grams leucine, and about 20 grams of simple carbs to top it off.

Try some of these to see if you can smother the taste of death

http://www.hamlynsoats.co.uk/indexrecipes.htm

Px

jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jstone28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by (((A^T^R))) View Post
    I got both sitting here in front of me in the big Quaker Oats tubs. What I don't understand is how the thinner rolled oats have a higher GI than the old fashioned oats.

Both are identical in ingredients and nutrition facts.

Old
    Fashioned:http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourP...fm?productid=3

How can one have a higher GI than the other?

Quick 1 Minute:http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourP...fm?productid=1

Here is what Alan said in the sticky.

I usually grind the oats up real thin in a blender and keep a jug of oats in my truck at school and add them to a shake if I don't have time for a meal. Should I only use Old fashioned or Steel Cut for a MRP. Are the Quick 1-minute too high of a GI carb source.

Or am I just splitting hairs here???

A concise answer would be helpful.

-ATR-

if i am not wrong, 65-75 is Medium on the GI index and that is considered "lower".

later in that sticky alan says that worrying about the GI index=waste of time, and IMO it all comes down to the GI load.

the fact that you are taking in Carbs+Protein slows the digestion of the Carbs thus making them digest slower and bringing down the GI score.

if you have the money, you can purchase a Meal-Replacement Powder. they come all pre-mixed and probbably taste a little better. if money is an issue than oats are fine to mix.

hope that helps?!?

AndyKram has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How can you not like oats? Some days, I'll devour 3-4 bowls of oats. Especially Old Fashioned Oats - I can't get enough of those delicious morsels.

Originally Posted by AndyKram View Post
    How can you not like oats? Some days, I'll devour 3-4 bowls of oats. Especially Old Fashioned Oats - I can't get enough of those delicious morsels.
    I could give a sh*t less what they taste like. I can down oats, bulk bcaa's, bulk cissus, and other nasty supps., but my main concern was the GI of the oats when I transform their attributes to a finer form that can be downed in a shake full of good carbs and protein used as a MRP.

For me it's cottage cheese URGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I still can't get the vision of it melted on toast out of my head BLECH

Px