Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to fight off a cold quickly!

EEk i'm sick!!! can feel a cold coming on!

anyone got some kick arse remedies to get rid of a cold?

someone has suggested a glass of vodka, straight, and wrap myself in a doona and sweat it out but i don't drink!!!! lol.
    IT'S NOT HARD, IT HURTS.

Aussie all the way

Anyone can get a life, anyone can lose a life but I will dare to inhabit my life and use it!

JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good thing you don't drink, because alcohol is a bad idea anyway. Alcohol makes you dehydrated. You want to stay hydrated.

Drinking plenty of fluids and getting lots of rest are what you need. You'll probably be a sick for a few days....but hopefully, you'll be better in no time.

Vitamin C and echinacea are debated remedies. Doesn't hurt to try 'em if you want to.

Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50) Komadori will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JVo View Post
    Good thing you don't drink, because alcohol is a bad idea anyway. Alcohol makes you dehydrated. You want to stay hydrated.

Drinking plenty of fluids and getting lots of rest are what you need. You'll probably be a sick for a few days....but hopefully, you'll be better in no time.

Vitamin C and echinacea are debated remedies. Doesn't hurt to try 'em if you want to.
    ^^^^right on the dot.

OJ - Water - OJ - Water seems to do me well. I also use cold eeze (zinc) if it's just the beginnings of a cold. Plenty of rest. Oh, and for some reason, spicy food helps me (although I love spicy food anyway)... Instead of typical chicken soup, I tend towards tom kha (Thai chicken coconut soup). It's comfort food, too. Be sure to eat, even if you don't feel up to it, because your body needs the cals to fight off the bug.

xx
    Back with my nose to the grindstone. Trying only fails when you stop. :)

Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sunshine143 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Water, vitamins, and Afrin!!! It works sooo well for me.
    I rep back.

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Owe reps:

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    in addition to the obvious things like water, multivitamins and antioxidants, garlic and ginger will help you tremendously. Try this:

chop a few cloves of garlic and equal amounts of ginger.
    Add it to a small pot of about a cup of water and bring to a boil.
    Once it starts to boil, turn the down to med/low, throw in a green tea bag [optional] and let it simmer for about 10/15 minutes.
    Then pour it into a glass and mix the juice of a lemon plus a bit of honey.

You can use a strainer to strain out the chunks of garlic and ginger but I usually just man up and take it chunk-and-all for good measure. The garlic will make you drowsy so the best thing to do is to throw on a sweater and a beanie and take a nap. You'll wake up sweaty and stinky but feeling like a million bucks.

TRUST ME!
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Slam the vitamin C! I take 4000mg a day and if I feel a cold coming on I up it to 6000mg. I haven't been sick in ages though and I give all the credit to vitamin C.

JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50) JVo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NightSprite View Post
    Slam the vitamin C! I take 4000mg a day and if I feel a cold coming on I up it to 6000mg. I haven't been sick in ages though and I give all the credit to vitamin C.
    I haven't gotten sick in awhile either. I think maybe it has to do with healthy eating. (Not sure if the regular exercise helps too(?).)

IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IzzyJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome thanks everyone!!

i don't usually get sick haven't had a simple cold in a LOOOOOOOOOONG time but recently i've had a nasty viral infection and so my immune system isn't at its best.

don't wanna get worse so i'll be mixing some ginger and garlic potion and popping panadol and vitamin c like there's no tomorrow.

will let you know if it works!
    IT'S NOT HARD, IT HURTS.

Aussie all the way

Anyone can get a life, anyone can lose a life but I will dare to inhabit my life and use it!

LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10) LoveANurse is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    karvol caps (or anything similar) will help loosen mucus and get the infection out before it gets worse, dont take cold and flu tabs yet cause they'll just dry you up and keep any mucus there to develop into a worse cold.
    behind every great woman...is a man checking out her arse

Chuck Norris can make a woman climax by simply pointing & saying booya

If at first you don't succeed you're not Chuck Norris

When Chuck Norris wants an egg he cracks open a chicken

cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cawagner01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You may want to try Airborne. That, along with Alkazelzer (sp) Plus seems to do the trick for me.
    Government Philosophy: If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
    I rep back!

Stuntin' is a habit Faith Fitness's Avatar
    Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Faith Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Most helpful thread! lol just got the sniffles .. VITAMIN C IT IS!!!!!
    "I knew I was destined for great things. People will say that kind of thinking is totally immodest. I agree. Modesty is not a word that applies to me in any way -I hope it never will. "-Arnold Schwarzenegger

" Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men, who find it easier to live in the world they've been given, than explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion."
    iForce Nutrition Athlete

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

and some honey, lemon and ginger to this and you are good to go.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) aramis_is has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Echinacea is what I take when I feel one coming.
    Tastes like crap but seems to help.

And a hell load of oranges.

javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100)
    Megadose Vitamin C. 3 grams a day here, and when I'm sick, which isn't often anymore, I bump it up to 10+ grams, seriously.

The trick with Vitamin C is you dose it to bowel tolerance, which is, keep taking it until you get diarrhea. Once your stools are loose, decrease the dose by 1 gram, and continue taking that.

Loose stools is your body's way off letting you know it has enough C. The more sick you are, the more C you will be able to tolerate.

Zinc is a great idea too, and anyone who lifts weights should be taking it anyway.

Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by aramis_is View Post
    Echinacea is what I take when I feel one coming.
    Tastes like crap but seems to help.

And a hell load of oranges.
    it's too late to start taking vit C once you have a cold, you should take it all the time.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000) mavrick77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    hope you dont catch what i got, i think something is going around....i have been sick for 2 weeks now...and everytime i think I am getting better....i fall back down. last night at week 2 I had a horrible headache, hot flashes, follwed by chills, and then diziness and nasuea.... fun times....
    I do not sugar coat things, but you got in the condition you're in by "sugar coating."

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mavrick77 View Post
    hope you dont catch what i got, i think something is going around....i have been sick for 2 weeks now...and everytime i think I am getting better....i fall back down. last night at week 2 I had a horrible headache, hot flashes, follwed by chills, and then diziness and nasuea.... fun times....
    That usually happens to me when I THINK I'm better and go back to my regular routine. Whenever you think you're back at 100%, give it a few more days of resting w/o training, keeping warm and staying extra hydrated. Hope you're better soon.

I've also read that Vitamin C really only helps people whose bodies are under a great deal of stress....like coal miners and marathon runners.

NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10) NightSprite is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by javyn View Post
    The trick with Vitamin C is you dose it to bowel tolerance, which is, keep taking it until you get diarrhea. Once your stools are loose, decrease the dose by 1 gram, and continue taking that.

Loose stools is your body's way off letting you know it has enough C. The more sick you are, the more C you will be able to tolerate.

Yep, that's another benifit of Vitamin C. Keeps things moving!

javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100)
    Or bodybuilders....or even office workers under any sort of physical or mental stress. Everyone should take it.

I've also read that Vitamin C really only helps people whose bodies are under a great deal of stress....like coal miners and marathon runners.

I thought Vit C was water soluble so you pee it out before it would your bowels or am I missing something?

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

What Dr. Linus Pauling, the father of molecular biology and vitamin C had to say on the issue:

Linus Pauling wrote the book, "How to Live Longer and Feel Better". (He also wrote "Vitamin C and the Common Cold") . I had heard of Linus Pauling and since living longer and feeling better sounded desirable, I bought the book. I was captivated. Pauling presents the case for Vitamin C supplementation so well and backs it up with so much evidence that this is a book I highly recommend.

To find out what Linus Pauling, 2-time Nobel Prize laureate, thought about vitamin C supplementation, let's look at an excerpt from an interview with Linus Pauling and Tony Edwards for QED BBC Television.
    Q: What do you feel about the major criticism that anything over 100mg of vitamin C is a waste of money and goes down the drain because it's eliminated by the body?

A: The evidence shows that this is just not true. I myself, 20 years ago or more, read this statement, probably made by Fred Stare, professor then at Harvard School of Public Health, and I decided to check. I was taking 10 grams per day of vitamin C. I collected my urine for 24 hours and analyzed it myself for the vitamin C content.

Instead of nearly 10,000mg being eliminated in the urine, 9850mg, I found only 1,500mg, 15% of the dose that I was taking during this trial, so the statement just is not true. Of course, some of the ingested ascorbate remains in the intestinal contents and doesn't get into the blood stream. It may be as much as 1/3.

Some evidence indicates that perhaps as much as 1/3 remains in the intestinal contents. Well, this does good, protecting the lower bowel against cancer by destroying carcinogens that are present in the fecal material and also does good because of the laxative effect of bringing water into the bowel so that the volume of the waste material is larger.

There's also a smaller surface area which helps speed up the process of elimination of this material. The rest of it, 2/3 perhaps 6.5 grams when I was taking 10 grams a day, gets into the blood stream but only 1.5 grams is eliminated in the urine.

So we can ask what happens to the other 5 grams? The answer I'm sure, in fact we have direct experimental evidence for it, is that vitamin C is rapidly converted into other substances, oxidation products and these other substances, these oxidation products have been shown to have greater value against cancer than vitamin C itself.

So if you take large doses of vitamin C you produce large amounts of these other substances, the value of which is still under investigation. We have been studying it for fifteen years.

Q: How do you decide how much vitamin C is right for you and, if you take 3 grams should it be split throughout the day?

In my opinion adults should be taking at least 2 grams a day. There is much evidence about increased health with 2 grams a day, and of course even more with 4 or 6 grams a day. Even an extra 60mg had been shown to add value in cutting down the death rate from heart disease, cancer and other diseases. Now my feeling is as people grow older they ought to be increasing their vitamin C and perhaps they should follow the policy that I have followed of increasing the intake.

It can be either one chunk, one dose in the morning, or even better 3 doses throughout the day, increasing the intake until a laxative effect is observed, speeding up the rate of elimination of waste material from the bowel. So my suggestion is every person who wants to have the best of health should increase the intake of vitamin C to somewhat less than the amount that causes significant looseness of the bowel.
    http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi.../vitamin-c.htm

Great read thanks Javyn.

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

No problem, I love spreading Dr. Pauling's message.

_VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000) _VL is just really nice. (+1000)
    To save time in posting, here's a paste of my response in another similar thread, cherry pick from it...

Quite honestly, you should avoid most "cold symptom" OTCs unless in dire need of masking symptoms. The general school of thought is... for ANY cough: Tessalon perles (benzonatate)!!!!!! (An old homeopathic trick that even many many mainstream docs still swear by... you can pick them up at any pharmacy.) For all other symptoms: zinc has questionable efficacy but if you use it should be started within 24 hrs of onset of symptoms. You can't beat good ole' saline nasal drops, salt water gargle, hot tea w/honey and lemon, chicken soup, lots and lots of fluids, and plenty of rest if possible.
    "None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RaeMe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NightSprite View Post
    I agree! As soon as I feel the fever coming on I take Vitamin C along with some Advil and plenty of rest. I'll continue this for a few days and it almost always keeps the cold at bay.

Originally Posted by _VL View Post
    salt water gargle
    x2. My uncle would always tell me to snort salt water up my nose when I was a kid. I always thought he was crazy until I tried it once. Worked like a charm.

Detoxing from Life martina92685's Avatar
    martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000) martina92685 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mindi911 View Post
    it's too late to start taking vit C once you have a cold, you should take it all the time.
    Bingo!!!

Oh and you asked me this before and I never answered - yes, I am eating snow in my picture.
    - Damnit. I got fat again. Brb: picking up the pieces and burning my excuses. -

Even better....Jala Neti!

Since I started practicing Jala Neti about 5 years ago, my chronic sinusitis has completely disappeared.

http://www.jalanetipot.com/

Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    x2. My uncle would always tell me to snort salt water up my nose when I was a kid. I always thought he was crazy until I tried it once. Worked like a charm.

Originally Posted by javyn View Post
    Even better....Jala Neti!

Since I started practicing Jala Neti about 5 years ago, my chronic sinusitis has completely disappeared.

http://www.jalanetipot.com/
    that is bizarre!!!!! I wanna try it! wonder if it would help with snoring too?
    IT'S NOT HARD, IT HURTS.

Aussie all the way