Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EDC View Post
    I can't see how you can call it forced volunteerism if it applies only to students. High school is all about making kids do things they don't want to do. As for college, no one is forcing you to be there.

A lot of schools already require volunteering. My sister is in college and doing twenty hours a week at an unpaid internship as part of her degree.

Read the article above. Its not just the issue of forced volunteering, its the issue of what you are being forced to volunteer for.
    Russell Wilson, the first QB in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

"So you got fired again eh?" "Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident."

Spiders are like offensive linemen, the best ones do their job and you never notice them.

An obvious example of New Math.
    "It was a 2% tax hike, dumbass. From 3% to 5%"-NRKF84

SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I can't see how you can call it forced volunteerism if it applies only to students. High school is all about making kids do things they don't want to do. As for college, no one is forcing you to be there.

A lot of schools already require volunteering. My sister is in college and doing twenty hours a week at an unpaid internship as part of her degree.

Straight over your head.
    Opeth, Vai, and Lamb of God enthusiast.

ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Ohio State Buckeye StartTheMachine's Avatar
    Location: Ohio, NoVa, and eventually studying abroad in Vienna, Austria
    StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StartTheMachine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ZexCui View Post
    this sounds like facism to me.
    Everything sounds like fascism, if you want it to.
    O-H, motherfcuker.

AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Devian View Post
    It's sad when America doesn't want to give 2 days of their entire year to improve their communities.
    **** these dead beat wannabe body builders want a free handout from the government and all Obama is asking for is community service in exchange for government grants to go to college.

You all should be willing to do community service for America without getting anything in return anyway. It's the patriotic thing to do.

kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ajn View Post
    So why are kids "forced" to go to school then?

I'm sure that's not what they want to do with their time, right?

Like I said before... we were "forced" to do community service to graduate from both middle school and high school. It was not some "evil Nazi experience." Honestly, we just saw it as a way to get out of class and be outdoors and joke around with our friends. But we were also doing positive work like cleaning trash from parks and waterways, or planting trees.

You guys constantly complain about the "entitlement" culture that starts with our kids. I see this type of thing as a good way to break that.

Of course, you'll never admit that Obama had a good idea. Don't bother replying if it hurts your pride too much to give him some credit. I'll grant you a pass.
    x2. he's not asking you to go serve in pakistan. you're out there doing community service, and, as most of you deviants should know, that could be anything from picking up trash, reading to kids, hanging out with some old folks, working in a kitchen, etc etc.

if you're already volunteering, this should be no big deal to you.

welfare should be a function of community service as well. if you want welfare, get out and do something for it. linking financial aid to community service isn't a bad idea either.
    Daily Electronic Music Enlightenment Thread - Come on Down to the Underground

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157433733

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ajn View Post
    Every middle and high school student in my state was "forced", and still is "forced" to do volunteer work to graduate from high school. And none of that bull**** you wrote applied to me or any of my classmates.

And if we got paid $4000 for doing the hours, kids would have trampled each other running to sign up.
    Just because your state is doing it doesn't mean it is right or moral... since when does just because an entity is doing something make it just or ethical or moral?

I have nothing wrong with getting paid $4000...

You are still missing the point, REQUIRED.

You still are not reading I'm afraid.
    @__@

SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SilverSpork is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kappakai View Post
    It is the principle of being FORCED into it. Come on brah.

AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AdonisSMU is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thank you.

Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post
    You all should be willing to do community service for America without getting anything in return anyway. It's the patriotic thing to do.
    says who?
    "I accidentally a whole bottle of hemlock" ~ Socrates

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    **** these dead beat wannabe body builders want a free handout from the government and all Obama is asking for is community service in exchange for government grants to go to college.

You are seriously scaring me.
    Russell Wilson, the first QB in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

"So you got fired again eh?" "Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident."

Spiders are like offensive linemen, the best ones do their job and you never notice them.

madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50) madmardigan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dabbmw2002 View Post
    if this in fact true

a) where does the Constitution give the President or Congress the power to compel community service
    b) what will happen if we refuse?
    Has anyone ITT actually read what the sites say???

The only ones being compelled to do community service are people in high school and below. We already compel, coerce or whatever we want to do with those under 18 as it is. Keep in mind, we also compel students in high school and grade school to do a great many other things if they want to graduate.

College students, in exchange for 100 hours of community service will be a given a $4,000 tuition credit. If you don't want the money, then you don't do the community service. No compelling whatsoever.

Other than that, I don't see where all this forced labor is coming from?

jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jack90 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

how many hours of community service do you do a year?

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
    You are seriously scaring me.
    lot of people in here scaring me I thought had more sense... Organichu at least nods in the right direction other discrepancy in what the actual policy is...
    @__@

Originally Posted by kappakai View Post
    x2. he's not asking you to go serve in pakistan. you're out there doing community service, and, as most of you deviants should know, that could be anything from picking up trash, reading to kids, hanging out with some old folks, working in a kitchen, etc etc.

welfare should be a function of community service as well. if you want welfare, get out and do something for it. linking financial aid to community service isn't a bad idea either.
    I totally agree. I think I want to do some community service just because it's the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by madmardigan View Post

The only ones being compelled to do community service are people in high school and below. We already compel, coerce or whatever we want to do with those under 18 as it is. Keep in mind, we also compel students in high school and grade school to do a great many other things if they want to graduate.

College students, in exchange for 100 hours of community service will be a given a $4,000 tuition credit. If you don't want the money, then you don't do the community service. No compelling whatsoever.

Whoa there, community service totally blurs the line with "education"...NOBODY here is against work for study programs. We are against FORCED, REQUIRED, MANDATED.
    @__@

RIP Sweetie 2006-2010 Macrobolic's Avatar
    Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Macrobolic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JRRBadBoy4Life View Post
    I work 6 days a week. I'll be damned if I'm going to perform community service. That should be left to those who are going to be living on welfare. In fact, we should make those on welfare earn their checks by creating these community service jobs he speaks of. Make their lazy asses work 50 hours a year, lol.
    This actually isn't a bad idea in most cases. During the Great Depression, they came up with jobs so that people could "earn" the assistance they got (if I remember this correctly)
    "To close one's eyes will not ease another's pain" - Chinese Proverb
    "An outdoor dog has an address, not a home" -unknown

Modern
    Fitness
    Forum

Go
    There
    Now

Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Unless it is during the summer, **** that. I am in college in Computer Engineering I dont even care about getting paid i dont need the money.

And people say hes not a socialist......

Originally Posted by madmardigan View Post

We don't know what they are being forced to volunteer for. Like I said, coming from the government, don't bet on being any able to volunteer for just about anything. If its volunteering in one of Obama's indoctrination camps that teaches the evils of capitalism and "heterosexualism", would you be fine with that????

EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Read the article above. Its not just the issue of forced volunteering, its the issue of what you are being forced to volunteer for.
    I read the link the OP provided and it doesn't say people will be forced to volunteer in specific programs (which would be wrong). It only says volunteer programs will be expanded and, in separate sentence, that students will be required to volunteer a specific number of hours.

Originally Posted by jack90 View Post
    how many hours of community service do you do a year?
    I volunteered my summers to working at the fire station when I was in HS. When I was in college I tutored students in accounting, web programming, and MS office.

I totally agree. I think I want to do some community service just because it's the right thing to do.

Exactly, because you WANT to, because you feel it is the right thing to do, not because Big Brother is telling you that you HAVE to volunteer for something not of your choice.

Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000) Gadsden is just really nice. (+1000)
    I volunteered my summers to working at the fire station when I was in HS. When I was in college I tutored students in accounting, web programming, and MS office.
    so nothing in the last few years?
    "I accidentally a whole bottle of hemlock" ~ Socrates

Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Weekling is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SilverSpork View Post
    Let freedom ring eh?

Can we quit with the Obama apologist act for just a few minutes here? I realize his followers are enamored with him, to the point of tears, but come on.

This is Amerca, land of the free, or supposedly. Community service is great, I donate to charity when I can, I did community service doing lawn work for seniors two days last summer, out of my own good will. I however, am completely against, as anyone who values freedom, of being FORCED into it.

Sounds more like a career internship...regardless. You weren't forced. How are so many people not getting this?
    @__@

I read the link the OP provided and it doesn't say people will be forced to volunteer in certain programs (which would be wrong).

Read the article that I posted.

EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250) EDC has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Exactly, because you WANT to, because you feel it is the right thing to do, not because Big Brother is telling you that you HAVE to volunteer for something not of your choice.
    But big brother is only telling students they have to do something. The education system depends on the ability to force students to do things.

Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Organichu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by grapemaster View Post
    lot of people in here scaring me I thought had more sense... Organichu at least nods in the right direction other discrepancy in what the actual policy is...
    What can I say, I reach across the aisle.
    6'2", 191 lbs
    Israeli-American
    2:58:01 marathon
    39:15 10k

kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000) kappakai is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SilverSpork View Post
    yah, i know, i understand that's the problem some of you guys are having with this.

i like the idea of the incentive... community service for welfare, or for financial aid. but, only so many people will volunteer without incentives, likely very few. i know when i was in high school, i would have much rather sat around, smoked pot and played video games than go out and volunteer. looking back now, i wish i had done some community service.

i know i know, parents should be instilling these values in kids, or people should be volunteering. but you know damn well should is way far from "are". and how would parents be able to pass on these values to their kids if they don't have them in the first place? it shouldn't be the government instilling these values, right? then who will... the private sector?
    Daily Electronic Music Enlightenment Thread - Come on Down to the Underground

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157433733