T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Fat Burning Cardio?

Currently cutting:

I do my cardio 3x a week after weight training as i belive this is an excellent time to burn fat because you have depleted all your glycogen stores from the weights, And i dont have time for morning cardio. But my question is what type of cardio should i preform to lose fat but maintain my muscle mass?

I was thinking about 30-45 minutes of low intensity cardio with my heart rate somewere around 130? Does this sound good for fat burning and maintaing muscle mass? Any advice?

Thanx.

brb getting bigger than u algforcek's Avatar
    algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Get a heart monitor

and 130 might be ok, it just depends on your age. Figure out what 65% of your heart rate is for your age and do that.

Your plan seems good, I would do bike, incline walk, elliptical, and rowing machine for cardio. Good times to be had there!

VR
    SPonge
    Hi JeNN!
    My weightloss journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111720161
    Cheat Meals: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111993701

T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10) T0PD0G is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by algforcek View Post
    and 130 might be ok, it just depends on your age. Figure out what 65% of your heart rate is for your age and do that.

Your plan seems good, I would do bike, incline walk, elliptical, and rowing machine for cardio. Good times to be had there!

VR
    SPonge
    Lolz i just repped you and told you to check out this thread as you seem to know alot about cardio, Then i check back to my thread and you have alredy posted.

My age is 18 bodyfat is alredy low at like 9% im guessing trying to get down to 6% Im sure 65% of my max heart rate is 131

Yea i do bike on leg day as i cannot walk, and on the other two cardio days i do treadmill. But here is my problem. I do a fast walk at about 6.8 7.0 speed as im guessing this is my heart rate at 130ish? The heart rate monitor on the machine does not work, And i have tryed to buy a heart rate monitor watch but they had none in stock.

So would a fast walk around 6.8 - 7.0 speed have me at 131 heart rate? Im 18 years of age

Thanx for the post.

algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50) algforcek will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool Ok...

Bro, you can cardio ass all the way down the yellow brick road and it will not matter. Dude, you need to EAT CLEAN.

Once you get into the single digits of BF, you not only need cardio and bulking, but you need to EAT FRIGGING CLEAN! Five to six meals a day and really watch what you are stuffing down woman pleaser.

Really, that one twinkie will rain on your cut more than you think when you have the body fat percentage you have.

Think about making your own meals and carrying them around with you. Also, and I almost forgot, you better be drinking exactly 2.47 metric butt-tons of water (a gallon a day but not more than 1.5 gallons). Watch your sodium intake too because bloading is a bizatch.

VR
    SPonge
    Hi JeNN!

Cool

Go online and buy yourself a heart monitor. I went to life fitness to buy mine, it was cheaper than the polar website! LOL
    Hi JeNN!

nghall has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would not rely on heart rate monitors all the time. Many cardio machines are not accurate and I have found that they often underestimate your heart rate.

It would be much more helpful just to listen to your body. Around 130-135 is when you feel slightly warm, a tad out of breath but not too much - you shouldn't really be sweating profusely.

Personally I prefer to push myself slightly harder, either doing 30 mins at around 150-160 bpm, or HIIT training. This works for me because a) I do not necessarily want to look like a hulk, b) I want my body to be as physically fit as possible (and LISS at 130 bpm just won't cut it), therefore a minor degree of catabolism occurring isn't the end of the world in my case.

Just try and figure out what works best for you!

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by T0PD0G View Post
    Currently cutting:

I do my cardio 3x a week after weight training as i belive this is an excellent time to burn fat because you have depleted all your glycogen stores from the weights, And i dont have time for morning cardio. But my question is what type of cardio should i preform to lose fat but maintain my muscle mass?

I was thinking about 30-45 minutes of low intensity cardio with my heart rate somewere around 130? Does this sound good for fat burning and maintaing muscle mass? Any advice?

Thanx.
    That is not true. Unless you've performed a high volume full body routine, you won't be glycogen depleted. Neverthless, after weights is a good time because glycogen availability is lower and from the increase in hormones involved in lipolysis. Doing it another time of the day would be another option since it gives you 2 metabolic upticks.

As long as you've eaten well before and/or you are using intra-training nutrition, you don't really need to worry about muscle loss as long as the sessions are too long and too intense (45 minutes could be pushing it depending upon the weight training session parameters). Muscle amino use is typically small under most conditions as the body has an interest in keeping it and using other sources. However, lots of microeffects may give a macroeffect if done repetitively over time as things add up.
    Last edited by in10city; 11-28-2008 at 05:45 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Bro, you can cardio ass all the way down the yellow brick road and it will not matter. Dude, you need to EAT CLEAN.

Once you get into the single digits of BF, you not only need cardio and bulking, but you need to EAT FRIGGING CLEAN! Five to six meals a day and really watch what you are stuffing down woman pleaser.

Really, that one twinkie will rain on your cut more than you think when you have the body fat percentage you have.

Think about making your own meals and carrying them around with you. Also, and I almost forgot, you better be drinking exactly 2.47 metric butt-tons of water (a gallon a day but not more than 1.5 gallons). Watch your sodium intake too because bloading is a bizatch.

VR
    SPonge
    Yes i have my diet in tack, Im eating clean and a calorie deflict at the moment, Currently actually eating 7 meals a day if i needed diet help i would of acked, Just courious about the "Fat burning cardio" to make sure i am doing it effictivly.. And my water intake for the day is extremly high, i drink up at least 2 gallons per day (Serious) and yes i know about sodium and potassium, Sodium hold excess water under the skin (water retention) givign you the bloated puffy smooth look, and potassium holds fluid in the cells giving you a full hard ripped look. Like i said before i dont need help with the diet but thanx anyway. Just want to know about the cardio and heart rate to make sure i am doing it properlly and not burnign away toomuch muscle mass.

Go online and buy yourself a heart monitor. I went to life fitness to buy mine, it was cheaper than the polar website! LOL
    Could you give me a website link please??

Also any idea just roughly what speed i should be doing? I have been told 6.8 - 7.0 speed at a fast walk?

Oponions on this?

Originally Posted by nghall View Post
    I would not rely on heart rate monitors all the time. Many cardio machines are not accurate and I have found that they often underestimate your heart rate.

It would be much more helpful just to listen to your body. Around 130-135 is when you feel slightly warm, a tad out of breath but not too much - you shouldn't really be sweating profusely.

Personally I prefer to push myself slightly harder, either doing 30 mins at around 150-160 bpm, or HIIT training. This works for me because a) I do not necessarily want to look like a hulk, b) I want my body to be as physically fit as possible (and LISS at 130 bpm just won't cut it), therefore a minor degree of catabolism occurring isn't the end of the world in my case.

Just try and figure out what works best for you!
    Yeah i dont know what works best for me though thats the problem lol.. Would a fast walk with a speed set at 6.8 - 7.0 have me sitting around 130?

Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    That is not true. Unless you've performed a high volume full body routine, you won't be glycogen depleted. Neverthless, after weights is a good time because glycogen availability is lower and from the increase in hormones involved in lipolysis. Doing it another time of the day would be another option since it gives you 2 metabolic upticks.

As long as you've eaten well before and/or you are using intra-training nutrition, you don't really need to worry about muscle loss as long as the sessions are too long and too intense (45 minutes could be pushing it depending upon the weight training session parameters). Muscle amino use is typically small under most conditions as the body has an interest in keeping it and using other sources. However, lots of microeffects may give a macroeffect if done repetitively over time as things add up.
    Wow thanx for the knowledgeable post.What do you mean by "intra-training nutrition" Could you explain that please?

And do you have any idea what speed or how fast/slow i should be going to achive a heart rate of around 130? I am 18 years old.

I have been told to do a fast walk? at a speed of 6.8 - 7.0 for fat burning? What do you think about this? should i be doing it like that or different speed?

Thanx

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have 2 jogs in the week and one HIIT session in the week (Lunchtime at work for 30mins) and in the month of Oct I lost 1.5kgs and came in around the waist and stomach by 2 inches........

Originally Posted by Antz1980 View Post
    I have 2 jogs in the week and one HIIT session in the week (Lunchtime at work for 30mins) and in the month of Oct I lost 1.5kgs and came in around the waist and stomach by 2 inches........
    Nice, Whats your heart rate at when you are running if you have any idea?

Bump.

Anyone know what speed i should be doing my cardio at to maintaine a heart rate of around 131?

I have been told a fast walk at a speed of 6.8 - 7.0 on the treadmill?

Oponions.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bump.

Anyone know what speed i should be doing my cardio at to maintaine a heart rate of around 131?

Oponions.
    There really isn't a way to answer that. You'll need to feel it out yourself. HR is rather variable and responds differently to exercise depending upon the individual. And your HR will probably be skewed to start with due to cardiac drift from the resistance training, body temperature elevation and hydration / electrolyte loss. Don't get too caught up in a nebulous "fat burning HR zone". Use RPE instead.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

Could you give me a website link please??

I like the heart strap. It works with watches as well. Just makes life easy for me.

http://www.polardiscount.com/scripts...?idCategory=31

VR
    SPonge
    Last edited by algforcek; 11-28-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    Hi JeNN!

KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10) KappaRaiders is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ive been swimming lately. it's accelerated my fat loss, and is not boring at all. i love it.
    PhiKappaTau.
    S&P.

Bump.

Oponions.
    This is just my opinion...

I do not care about speed. I do not care about distance. I care where my heart rate is, am I in the zone?

If I am in the zone then I am burning fat. If I am too high I am burning mucle.

That is really all that matters.

Again, this is what has worked for me. And this is my opinion only.

VR
    SPonge
    Hi JeNN!

This is just my opinion...

I do not care about speed. I do not care about distance. I care where my heart rate is, am I in the zone?

If I am in the zone then I am burning fat. If I am too high I am burning mucle.

That is really all that matters.

Again, this is what has worked for me. And this is my opinion only.

VR
    SPonge
    Yeah i need to know what speed will have me sitting at around 131 heart rate as i dont ahve a heart rate monitor YET. What speed do you usually do your cardio at to have your heart rate sitting were you want it?

is a 7.0 walk have my heart rate too high?

Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500) Bodom X is not very helpful. (-500)
    I'm not sure how your machines are gauged, but I know mine are like a run at 7.0.

starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10) starterz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Bump.

Oponions.
    Dude...what treadmill are you using?
    6.8-7.0 is running on every brand of treadmill i have been on

Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50) Torance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by starterz View Post
    I know seriously..... for a 131 heart rate its around 4-5 anything above that is running, and even if your in shape ... a 7 is pretty high for fat loss.
    375x2 Sumo DL
    285x4 Squats
    255x3 Bench
    90x6 db bench
    110x8 db rows

rampage jackson wannabe thatboijohn's Avatar
    thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10) thatboijohn is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i just run around the indoor track at my gym about 10 times.

Originally Posted by Bodom X View Post
    I'm not sure how your machines are gauged, but I know mine are like a run at 7.0.
    Yeah 7.0 is quite fast, its an extremly fast walk..

Originally Posted by starterz View Post
    yeah it is a running speed, but i do an extremly fast walk on it the PT at my gym told me a fast walk on 6.8 - 7.0 is about 131 heart rate?

Originally Posted by Torance View Post
    I know seriously..... for a 131 heart rate its around 4-5 anything above that is running, and even if your in shape ... a 7 is pretty high for fat loss.
    4-5 walk? or a 4-5 run?

Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Korry1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah 7.0 is quite fast, its an extremly fast walk..

yeah it is a running speed, but i do an extremly fast walk on it the PT at my gym told me a fast walk on 6.8 - 7.0 is about 131 heart rate?

4-5 walk? or a 4-5 run?
    guy is from New Zealand. I assume you are talking about kilometers per hour instead of miles per hour.

7.0 kph = 4.375 mph

Originally Posted by Korry1 View Post
    guy is from New Zealand. I assume you are talking about kilometers per hour instead of miles per hour.

7.0 kph = 4.375 mph
    Yup from New Zealand, Yeah i presume i am talking about kilometers? it just says my speed is 7.0 so im guessing its 7 kilometers per hour..

So in that case would a 4.375 mph walk be prime heart rate for fat burning?

Anyone..?

Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000) Antz1980 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Nice, Whats your heart rate at when you are running if you have any idea?

I'm not sure on my heartrate, but i can tell you the speed that I travel (coz I run outside, not on tready).

I have to paces, i've timed my jog at 11km/hr and my walk at 5km/hr, I mix it up (can't yet jog for the whole 30mins) and I jog for about 10mins then walk for the remaining time (20mins).

So you can work out how much distance I travel, but i'm not sure if that can help with heartrate. I may have to check that on a treadmill.......

Originally Posted by Antz1980 View Post
    I'm not sure on my heartrate, but i can tell you the speed that I travel (coz I run outside, not on tready).

I have to paces, i've timed my jog at 11km/hr and my walk at 5km/hr, I mix it up (can't yet jog for the whole 30mins) and I jog for about 10mins then walk for the remaining time (20mins).

So you can work out how much distance I travel, but i'm not sure if that can help with heartrate. I may have to check that on a treadmill.......
    I like to use treamill so i can stay at a steady speed.

Cardio done for today:

After weight trainnig (Legs) i did 45 minutes low intensity cardio on the bike had my heart rate sitting at around 125-130.

Going to do cardio tomorrow as well but on the treadmill, Will be doing a fast walk at about 7 kph 30-45 minutes.

Any opinions on this? Heart rate correct duration correct?

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Exclamation

Cardio done for today:

After weight trainnig (Legs) i did 45 minutes low intensity cardio on the bike had my heart rate sitting at around 125-130.

Going to do cardio tomorrow as well but on the treadmill, Will be doing a fast walk at about 7 kph 30-45 minutes.

Any opinions on this? Heart rate correct duration correct?
    http://www.charlespoliquin.com/index...sk=view&id=861

I'd Pass.
    Last edited by rhizome; 12-01-2008 at 02:05 AM.

tjg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what would you say is the better machine for cardio?

my brother loves the bike, but i have heard that walking (not running) on the treadmill is the best.

any opinions?

Originally Posted by tjg View Post
    what would you say is the better machine for cardio?

my brother loves the bike, but i have heard that walking (not running) on the treadmill is the best.

any opinions?
    IMO the treadmill is much better, I onyl use bike on leg day as i cannot walk lol :P But yes i also belive low intensity cardio is best for fat burning (walking)

But am not 100% sure, thats why i just created this new thread about 5 secounds ago lol, Check it out.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=112340001