Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Trained by Apollo Creed JoeShmoe's Avatar
    JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10) JoeShmoe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by zanegger View Post

I just saw a video of Serge Nubret at 70 years of age in the gym pumping some massive 19 inch arms... incredible. He had the last laugh over Arnold, that's for sure. Arnold is unrecognizable if he takes his t shirt off today...
    link to said video?

zanegger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JoeShmoe View Post
    link to said video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIPZgmxgg_s

I LOL when I saw the video, because it's obvious this was a set up... like Serge walks around with a tape measure in his pocket. haha.

The man is amazing, he got the final word in to Arnold's laugh back when he said "I can take you..." in Pumping Iron. Look at those thick arms...Bigger and thicker than 90% of us, at 70 years of age. He is a true bodybuilder, someone who saw the sport as a way to be fit for life. How many of the so called greats of today will be around at 70? Anyone want to guess how horrifying their bellies will look 10-20-30 years from now after they stop using so much growth hormone and who knows what else?

Un Grand, definitivement. Serge si tu lis ce thread, sache que tu es beaucoup aime a travers le monde.
    Last edited by zanegger; 11-23-2008 at 06:05 PM.

bump

Registered User the iron addict's Avatar
    the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would hardly say Serge got the last laugh over Arnold. Arnold is a multi-millionaire and could retire a very rich man if he wanted anytime. I don't think Serge is doing that well for himself other than physically. I would also venture to say that it is extremely likely that Serge is still doing steroids.

Either way, both these guys are legends, and Serge has one of the best physiques of all time IMO.

Iron Addict

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums

Revolutionary diet and training software:

http://www.redpointfitness.com

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What do you handle for 6-8 reps on the CGBP, dumbell curls and barbell curls?
    My work sets are mostly in the 225-275 range for CGBP. 5rm is 265x5.

DB Curls - 55x7

DB Hammer - 75x8

BB Curls - 120x6
    Who was this love of yours?

Originally Posted by the iron addict View Post
    I would hardly say Serge got the last laugh over Arnold. Arnold is a multi-millionaire and could retire a very rich man if he wanted anytime. I don't think Serge is doing that well for himself other than physically. I would also venture to say that it is extremely likely that Serge is still doing steroids.

Either way, both these guys are legends, and Serge has one of the best physiques of all time IMO.

Iron Addict

True. Arnold was much more than just a bodybuilder. His drive to become the world's greatest also led him to financial success. Now that he has all the money he could possibly want, he's after power and long lasting fame. He's accomplished a lot, but time is running out for whatever ambition he has left. I agree that Arnold is a tremendous role model for anyone who wants to succeed in life.

Re the last laugh: I meant physically. When Serge said to him "I can take you, Arnold laughed at him and said something like 'sure yeah'" Fast forward 40 years later, Serge is in 100x better shape than Arnold as you have pointed out. Although, it would take away much of the respect I have for him if he is using steroids or other enhancements... I still think one can look great in old age without them.

I personally see bodybuilding as a limited metaphor for the need to strive for a higher goal in life...I believe that man is a spiritual being with a deep void that no amount of muscle, money or fame can fill. That sense of fulfillment and meaning can only be found in a relationship with the Almighty. But again, no need to start a flame fest, just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by zanegger; 11-25-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick View Post
    My work sets are mostly in the 225-275 range for CGBP. 5rm is 265x5.

DB Curls - 55x7

DB Hammer - 75x8

BB Curls - 120x6

I'm pretty close on the curls, but you're way stronger on the CGBP. Good, it gives me a goal to work towards. Thanks again for sharing.

17 1/4 inches pumped

This is a shot I took today after my once a week workout. Taped out at 17 1/4 inch pumped. This is up from about 15 inches two years ago. As you can see, I've got zero vascularity and a lot of progress to make, but hey, I'm just a recreational lifter with limited equipment (work out in my garage). I'll try to push towards 18 inches in a year or year and a half, and I'll document it here.
    Attached Images

the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    True. Arnold was much more than just a bodybuilder. His drive to become the world's greatest also led him to financial success. Now that he has all the money he could possibly want, he's after power and long lasting fame. He's accomplished a lot, but time is running out for whatever ambition he has left. I agree that Arnold is a tremendous role model for anyone who wants to succeed in life.

Re the last laugh: I meant physically. When Serge said to him "I can take you, Arnold laughed at him and said something like 'sure yeah'" Fast forward 40 years later, Serge is in 100x better shape than Arnold as you have pointed out. Although, it would take away much of the respect I have for him if he is using steroids or other enhancements... I still think one can look great in old age without them.

I personally see bodybuilding as a limited metaphor for the need to strive for a higher goal in life...I believe that man is a spiritual being with a deep void that no amount of muscle, money or fame can fill. That sense of fulfillment and meaning can only be found in a relationship with the Almighty. But again, no need to start a flame fest, just my personal opinion.
    Why would it take away your respect for him if he was still using gear? He was when at his prime, and if you think he is still that big at 70 without some help you are a bit naive about pro level BB'ers and steroids.

Iron Addict

Why would it take away your respect for him if he was still using gear? He was when at his prime, and if you think he is still that big at 70 without some help you are a bit naive about pro level BB'ers and steroids.

Iron Addict

Simply because I have always had zero regard for steroids, and this no matter how hard the bodybuilder works. I will always have more respect for the natural bodybuilder who works as hard as the one who uses steroids, growth hormone and who knows what else, even if the natural bodybuilder is smaller at the end of the day and doesn't come close to the mass that users have. In my value system, honest hard work is always and everywhere superior to honest hard work + steroids. I understand that many on this site have a different value system, and I have no interest in debating that. I don't know what your beliefs are on steroid use, but if you are in the pro steroid/GH camp, you won't convince me of anything and neither will I convince you of anything, so there's no point in arguing.

In Serge's case, if he is still using steroids right now, I would have less admiration for him but admiration nonetheless, because he still has to get up and work out and maintain his mass. Still, I do not believe roids are necessary to look great and be healthy. I would have loved Serge with 18 inch arms instead of 20 inches just the same had he been all natural. Same for Arnold. I wish Serge would come out and say publicly whether he is currently on steroids or not (like Arnold has done regarding his usage in competitive days) and give his viewpoint on them. Maybe Serge has said a few things, I don't know.

I've been following bodybuilding for a long time, and of course I've known about the roid use. It started a long time ago, although the cycling was nothing when Arnold and company were doing it compared to usage levels by today's pros. I'll tell you what's naive. What's naive is thinking that the distended guts of today's pros and complete disregard for proportions is going to keep 'mass at all costs' bodybuilding alive in the commercial/public eye. The industry is in a sad state and I predict a growing backlash which has already begun.
    Last edited by zanegger; 11-26-2008 at 10:54 PM.

Iron Addict

By the way Ironaddict, I've come across a few different places online where Serge is quoted as saying that he never used any anabolics. The thread below is an example: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...t=serge+nubret

Given your level of conviction, and assuming his quote is true and that is truly what he said, then are you saying that Serge is lying about this?

By the way Ironaddict, I've come across a few different places online where Serge is quoted as saying that he never used any anabolics. The thread below is an example: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...t=serge+nubret

Given your level of conviction, and assuming his quote is true and that is truly what he said, then are you saying that Serge is lying about this?
    LOL, yes, most pro bodybuilders have lied about this since bodybuilders have been doing steroids. 1. it is illegal in most places so admitting it is admitting you are commiting a crime. 2. People devalue them as lifters and think that the drugs do all the work. Serge and other top guys still works their ass off and have to eat correctly 24/7, 365, but if you tell someone that they are on steroids the general public assumes the the steroids somehow do all the work. I am in total agreement that today's standards are horrible and have resulted in a lot of very ugly physiques and overall physiques that are TOTALLY unattainable by 99.9% of the people lifting weights. The physiques of the 60's-80's were better. But........even at the pro level then all the guys were using. Arnold started gear at age 15.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge even Ronnie Coleman has never admitted to steroid use. Hell, he was a police officer during the time of his first 3 or so Olympia's. Do you really think Ronnie has never used?

Iron Addict

Last edited by the iron addict; 11-27-2008 at 12:35 AM.

LOL, yes, most pro bodybuilders have lied about this since bodybuilders have been doing steroids. 1. it is illegal in most places so admitting it is admitting you are commiting a crime. 2. People devalue them as lifters and think that the drugs do all the work. Serge and other top guys still works their ass off and have to eat correctly 24/7, 365, but if you tell someone that they are on steroids the general public assumes the the steroids somehow do all the work. I am in total agreement that today's standards are horrible and have resulted in a lot of very ugly physiques and overall physiques that are TOTALLY unattainable by 99.9% of the people lifting weights. The physiques of the 60's-80's were better. But........even at the pro level then all the guys were using. Arnold started gear at age 15.

BTW, to the best of my knowledge even Ronnie Coleman has never admitted to steroid use. Hell, he was a police officer during the time of his first 3 or so Olympia's. Do you really think Ronnie has never used?

Iron Addict

Just wanted to get you on the record about Serge's character. Here's something you probably don't know about Nubret. He wrote a book released in 2006 titled "I am... Me and God" where he reflects on his faith and mysticism. To me, that does not square with what you claim he has taken over the years to build and maintain his physique. The fact that Serge has denied any use suggests that he agrees with me.

I'm sure Serge visits the forum and has posted here before. Maybe he'll speak up. If I were him, it would bother me if every tom dick and harry thought I was a liar. Anyone who knows him personally, please feel free to share what you know.

As for Ronnie 'Yeah Buddy, Light Weight Baby' Coleman, like I said earlier, it is so obvious that he is on a massive concoction of pills and who knows what else. What I find as gullible as the public thinking steroids do 'all the work' is people believing that juice doesn't really contribute that much to the final result. You'd be fooling yourself to think that all that juice doesn't allow him to lift SUPER heavier than he naturally could or recover MUCH quicker. As you kind of said (sort of contradicting yourself, there is no way a natural guy can remotely come close to their mass). Even someone who knows nothing about the sport knows there's something terribly wrong about the look of their bellies (internal organ growth) and growth in their skulls. Just disgusting. But again, any juice fans reading this, please don't bother flaming, that's my opinion and nothing you say will change it.

How about you Ironaddict, do you juice?
    Last edited by zanegger; 11-27-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Just wanted to get you on the record about Serge's character. Here's something you probably don't know about Nubret. He wrote a book released in 2006 titled "I am... Me and God" where he reflects on his faith and mysticism. To me, that does not square with what you claim he has taken over the years to build and maintain his physique. The fact that Serge has denied any use suggests that he agrees with me.

I'm sure Serge visits the forum and has posted here before. Maybe he'll speak up. If I were him, it would bother me if every tom dick and harry thought I was a liar. Anyone who knows him personally, please feel free to share what you know.

As for Ronnie 'Yeah Buddy, Light Weight Baby' Coleman, like I said earlier, it is so obvious that he is on a massive concoction of pills and who knows what else. What I find as gullible as the public thinking steroids do 'all the work' is people believing that juice doesn't really contribute that much to the final result. You'd be fooling yourself to think that all that juice doesn't allow him to lift SUPER heavier than he naturally could or recover MUCH quicker. As you kind of said (sort of contradicting yourself, there is no way a natural guy can remotely come close to their mass). Even someone who knows nothing about the sport knows there's something terribly wrong about the look of their bellies (internal organ growth) and growth in their skulls. Just disgusting. But again, any juice fans reading this, please don't bother flaming, that's my opinion and nothing you say will change it.

How about you Ironaddict, do you juice?
    No, but I have been privy to talking with literally thousands of BB'ers including some pro's over the years and quite frankly pro bodybuilders and even state level competitors are doing gear. If the competition is, you need to be, that is the reality. What is really naive on your part is that you believe that since he is a religious he wouldn't lie, what a crock of ****. 75%+ of the population claims to be religious. Do you REALLY think 75% of the population doesn't lie?? Steroid use in all sports is rampant. If you don't want to believe that fine, it does not change the truth--pro bodybuilders have been using steroids since the 60's. The first Mr. Olympia Larry Scott

http://digilander.libero.it/mikementzer/Scott11.jpg

Openly admitted to doing steroids. Why wouldn't he? They were legal until 1990. During Serge's heyday steroids were legal and if you wanted to compete at the highest levels you even the playing field. Not much has changed since gear has been made illegal. They are still readily available and used by the VAST majority of high level bodybuilders. Even if Serge was natural in 1972, he surely is not now at age 70 with a 70 year olds hormonal profile.

You really should see the movie "bigger, stronger, faster".

Iron Addict

No, but I have been privy to talking with literally thousands of BB'ers including some pro's over the years and quite frankly pro bodybuilders and even state level competitors are doing gear. If the competition is, you need to be, that is the reality. What is really naive on your part is that you believe that since he is a religious he wouldn't lie, what a crock of ****. 75%+ of the population claims to be religious. Do you REALLY think 75% of the population doesn't lie?? Steroid use in all sports is rampant. If you don't want to believe that fine, it does not change the truth--pro bodybuilders have been using steroids since the 60's. The first Mr. Olympia Larry Scott

http://digilander.libero.it/mikementzer/Scott11.jpg

Openly admitted to doing steroids. Why wouldn't he? They were legal until 1990. During Serge's heyday steroids were legal and if you wanted to compete at the highest levels you even the playing field. Not much has changed since gear has been made illegal. They are still readily available and used by the VAST majority of high level bodybuilders. Even if Serge was natural in 1972, he surely is not now at age 70 with a 70 year olds hormonal profile.

You really should see the movie "bigger, stronger, faster".

Iron Addict

I'm glad you are saying you don't use any, IA, good for you, we need more people like you to represent the sport as it used to be in its earliest days.

I have never claimed that Serge cannot be lying because he is a man of faith. Don't put words in my mouth now. What I did was to simply point out the inconsistency between the two. By inconsistency I mean the damage lying does to one's witness if one is a man of faith. I'm kind of turning the spotlight on Serge, because I really want him to speak up and come clean if he has to. The inconsistency should put Serge in an uncomfortable position, and that is all that I am highlighting here. As I said in my prior post, I hope Serge sets the record straight some day, because it is hurting his image among many of his fans, especially the natural ones. (not all fans of course, as many just don't care). I have my doubts and think odds probably do favor that he used some dianabol but I don't have much conviction.

Towards the end of your post you say "Even if Serge was natural in 1972, he surely is not now at age 70 with a 70 year olds hormonal profile." That tells me that there is at least a little bit of doubt in your mind that back then he was on it.

The reason why I am not so quick to condemn him is because the man had an INCREDIBLE work ethic which could explain his extraordinary shape. Outside of Tom Platz, there are probably very few others who could rival him in terms of the pure hours and volume that went into his training. Now you could say, well the roids helped him with that work ethic. Well here's what's interesting. He apparently trained with light weights most of time. I can see how one would not necessarily need steroids if one was doing one hour per bodypart sessions with much lighter weights (like 135lbs on squat for example).
    Last edited by zanegger; 11-27-2008 at 10:56 AM.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm glad you are saying you don't use any, IA, good for you, we need more people like you to represent the sport as it used to be in its earliest days.

I have never claimed that Serge cannot be lying because he is a man of faith. Don't put words in my mouth now. What I did was to simply point out the inconsistency between the two. By inconsistency I mean the damage lying does to one's witness if one is a man of faith. I'm kind of turning the spotlight on Serge, because I really want him to speak up and come clean if he has to. The inconsistency should put Serge in an uncomfortable position, and that is all that I am highlighting here. As I said in my prior post, I hope Serge sets the record straight some day, because it is hurting his image among many of his fans, especially the natural ones. (not all fans of course, as many just don't care). I have my doubts and think odds probably do favor that he used some dianabol but I don't have much conviction.

Towards the end of your post you say "Even if Serge was natural in 1972, he surely is not now at age 70 with a 70 year olds hormonal profile." That tells me that there is at least a little bit of doubt in your mind that back then he was on it.

The reason why I am not so quick to condemn him is because the man had an INCREDIBLE work ethic which could explain his extraordinary shape. Outside of Tom Platz, there are probably very few others who could rival him in terms of the pure hours and volume that went into his training. Now you could say, well the roids helped him with that work ethic. Well here's what's interesting. He apparently trained with light weights most of time. I can see how one would not necessarily need steroids if one was doing one hour per bodypart sessions with much lighter weights (like 135lbs on squat for example).
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

zaneggar,

First off, kudos to you for improving your arm size. I noticed that your tris seem pretty full, but your bis seemed a tad short. (My eyesight is poor, so bear with me). If that's the case, you're better off doing some kind of forearm work i.e. hammers and reverse curls or preacher reverse curls to help "hide" the gap somewhat, as well as continuing the mass exercises (barbell curls/d'bell curls and whatnot). Just my opinion, here. Still, pretty good job on your part.

As for what you wrote on Nubret, yes, he used relatively light weights for the most part, but your statement of: "I can see how one would NOT necessarily need steroids if one was doing one hour per bodypart session with much lighter weights--135 pounds on the squat..." is flat out wrong. For the majority of trainees, if they did that "pumping" kind of workout for one hour--if they could put up with it--their muscles would gain a lot of endurance but not necessarily size, unless they were slow-twitch all over.

Juice? Well, as IA said, back then juicing was legal and all the pros and (my guess) most of the high amateurs were taking, just to level the playing field. I doubt Nubret was any different. This takes nothing away from what he accomplished then or now. In fact, it takes nothing away from anyone who won contests then or now. Just a matter of perspective.

As for the look that many of the pros currently sport, I agree that it's disgusting and that the "classic" look is infinitely preferable, but the "juice genie" is out of the bottle and there's no putting him back! Just the way it is.

Truth? You ain't gonna get it from any pro. Who gives a damn how religious they say they are. It simply isn't true that they're natural. No way. Just compare the natural guys with the pros and you'll see the difference.
    Last edited by GuyJin; 11-27-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: content and spelling
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

zaneggar,

First off, kudos to you for improving your arm size. I noticed that your tris seem pretty full, but your bis seemed a tad short. (My eyesight is poor, so bear with me). If that's the case, you're better off doing some kind of forearm work i.e. hammers and reverse curls or preacher reverse curls to help "hide" the gap somewhat. Just my opinion, here. Still, pretty good job on your part.

As for what you wrote on Nubret, yes, he used relatively light weights for the most part, but your statement of "I can see how one would necessarily need steroids if one was doing one hour per bodypart session with much lighter weights--135 pounds on the squat..." is flat out wrong. For the majority of trainees, if they did that "pumping" kind of workout for one hour--if they could put up with it--their muscles would gain a lot of endurance but not necessarily size, unless they were slow-twitch all over.

Juice? Well, as IA said, back then juicing was legal and all the pros and (my guess) most of the high amateurs were taking, just to level the playing field. I doubt Nubret was any different. This takes nothing awaw from what he accomplished then or now.

As for the look that man of the pros sport now, I agree that it's disgusting and that the "classic" look is infinitely preferable, but the "juice genie" is out of the bottle and there's no putting him back! Just the way it is.

Truth? You ain't gonna get it from any pro. Who gives a damn how religious they say they are. It simply isn't true that they're natural. No way. Just compare the natural guys with the pros and you'll see the difference.
    Guyjin,

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, a lot of progress to be made, like I said earlier. There's so much more I could be doing for my biceps for example. I just got a used bench (like new condition) today for peanuts, it's got a preacher bench attached, so that will come in handy with building some peak, Larry Scott style. Also note that I only started training consistently August of 2007. Prior to that I had never trained for more than a few months consistently. So I am very early in my development (and only train once a week for now). I am going to try and document my progress in this thread over the next year.

To me, it's a sad thing that not a single pro will come out and admit their use; the lack of integrity for everyone involved, from promoters to bodybuilders is stunning. Why even have rules in the charter of the IFBB to classify the use of these products as illegal? For a good joke? Chalk it up to a civilization in decline... It's really too bad that everyone is so dang cynical about it.
    Last edited by zanegger; 11-27-2008 at 06:09 PM.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Guyjin,

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, a lot of progress to be made, like I said earlier. There's so much more I could be doing for my biceps for example. I just got a used bench today for peanuts, it's got a preacher bench attached, so that will come in handy with building some peak, Larry Scott style. Also note that I only started training consistently August of 2007. Prior to that I had never trained for more than a few months consistently. So I am very early in my development (and only train once a week for now). I am going to try and document my progress in this thread over the next year.

To me, it's a sad thing that not a single pro will come out and admit their use; the lack of integrity for everyone involved, from promoters to bodybuilders is stunning. Chalk it up to a civilization in decline... It's really too bad that everyone is so dang cynical about it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

You got the first part right--consistency. A lot of guys--and I'll include myself in that lot at times--have failed to train, eat, and sleep consistently, and that's what kills progress as much as poor training protocols.

As for the second thing you wrote, agreed, the sport/art (call it what you like) of bodybuilding is in decline, at least from the pro (IFBB and the other major organizations) level. Who's to blame? Lay it anywhere you like, but the sad fact remains that a lot of guys feel they HAVE to juice or they just can't be the next Johnny Superstar. (That ain't so, but many guys feel that way). There ARE the natural organizations you could turn to (if you were so inclined to compete) but even they have their troubles, so, for me, I train just to better myself and I am content with that.

Cynical? Maybe. I think "realistic" is a better term. Like it or not, steroids are here to stay, and they DO have their legitimate uses. I don't like the over-juicing that I see in the mags, but there it is. I choose not to, and for everyone out there, they have the choice as well.

As for your training, keep up the consistency, the good eating, the heavy compounds and what have you, and I'll wish you the best in your training.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

You got the first part right--consistency. A lot of guys--and I'll include myself in that lot at times--have failed to train, eat, and sleep consistently, and that's what kills progress as much as poor training protocols.

As for the second thing you wrote, agreed, the sport/art (call it what you like) of bodybuilding is in decline, at least from the pro (IFBB and the other major organizations) level. Who's to blame? Lay it anywhere you like, but the sad fact remains that a lot of guys feel they HAVE to juice or they just can't be the next Johnny Superstar. (That ain't so, but many guys feel that way). There ARE the natural organizations you could turn to (if you were so inclined to compete) but even they have their troubles, so, for me, I train just to better myself and I am content with that.

Cynical? Maybe. I think "realistic" is a better term. Like it or not, steroids are here to stay, and they DO have their legitimate uses. I don't like the over-juicing that I see in the mags, but there it is. I choose not to, and for everyone out there, they have the choice as well.

As for your training, keep up the consistency, the good eating, the heavy compounds and what have you, and I'll wish you the best in your training.

Thanks for keeping the discussion civil and the good wishes, appreciate it.
    May the pump be with you in your endeavors.

Does anyone know who this guy is?

If John Hansen is a true natural, then he's one of the most massive if not the most massive I've seen...

http://www.naturalolympia.com/html/2...alOlympia.html
    Last edited by zanegger; 11-27-2008 at 07:24 PM.

John Hansen is a well-seasoned pro on the natural circuit, and has a regular column in IRONMAN. He IS pretty big for a natural, but he also admitted to using steroids when younger. (I can't remember what issue it was in; at least a couple of years ago; also don't remember how long he used them or if he said what kind. Guess that's my age creeping up on me! ). At any rate, he says he's natural now, and I think he's about 43 years old or thereabouts.

He sometimes posts in another part of this forum, and you might try looking for his name there. If not, there's always his website.

meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) meerkat3.14 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    This is the weirdest idea I have ever heard, especially considering you're not a teenager. I don't see the point in creating the illusion of a decent body, why not just get that body, afterall it takes a lot longer to grow 18 inch biceps than it does a decent body and decent arms are a byproduct of achieving that body. You are losing out on arm gains by avoiding exercises for legs, chest and back with weight.

That aside, the biggest issue for those looking for bigger arms is their focus on biceps; triceps are 2/3 of the measurement.

bane7187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That 15 lbs for an inch on your arms sounds a little crazy. That would mean with 16 inch arms i should weigh 240, but i weigh 182. Part of me does believe it though because i had 14 inch arms at one point and weighed 155 and now that i weigh just about 30lbs more my arms are 2 inches bigger. I am not one to argue one way or the other, but I think the best way to get your arms to grow is to pound away at your entire body and allow your arms to grow with it. I used to just train arms and chest, nothing else and I honestly did see results, it was even weird because my shoulders, back and traps were growing as well, but I just feel bigger and stronger knowing that I now hit every muscle instead of just three of them.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and here's some background: I've been a recreational amateur bodybuilder over the last 15 years (turn 30 soon) with poor genetics and not a lot of consistency in training until the last year or so. When I hit my late twenties my metabolism started to slow down dramatically and I was finally able to weigh a little more than 165lbs soaking wet. Today I weigh 195lbs at 6 feet. I've been able to push my arm size up to 17 inches pumped from 13 inches when I started out as a teenager but now I really want to set some goals and hit them in the next 3 years. I want to bring up my skinny legs and calves (15 inches). I've been working on my shoulders but they are really slow to respond.

I've never really worked out in a gym, except on and off in college to no big effect. These days I only work out once a week but heavy intensity in my garage with very limited equipment (4 dumbells, a bar/bench and a wrist roller)

Is there anyone out there with a similar background who's been able to go from 17 inch arms to 18 inches and build up their shoulders/calves in the process by an inch or two? The reason why I focus on shoulders, arms and calves is because I believe Steve Reeves when he said that they can create the illusion of a great physique. Since I will never be involved enough to be a pro or even compete in an amateur competition, that's the goal I have, to build that silhouette.

What's worked for you? Supersets, HIT, Light/Heavy, muscle confusion?
    The top 3 guys I admire are Frank Zane, Arnold and Larry Scott.

Thanks for your thoughts/stories,
    Regards
    Zanegger
    Eat more and lift heavy on the arms.

8-12 sets of bis and tris, 5-10 reps

some strip sets, forced reps ...ok, but mainly heavy weight and more food does the trick. or did for me anyhow.
    "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

Old Guy deadlifting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zMrim-0Dks
    bench press https://youtu.be/GaRzfueJVJQ

Every workout is GAME DAY!