View Poll Results: how do you do your bench? how should it be done?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • touch your chest with the bar

70 47.95%
  • stop barely over your chest(1 inch-2inch)

38 26.03%
  • stop when arms are at 90 degress (for me 3~4 inches)

19 13.01%
  • touch mid chest

20 13.70%
  • touch along line connecting nipples

30 20.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry how do you do a damned bench press once and for all?!

k i get alot of lip at my gym from passersby when i do my bench presses.

either "your supposed to touch your chest" or "your gonna screw up your rotator cuff don't touch your chest" or "as long as you feel a pull" (well with heavy enough weight you feel a pull barely half way down!) or "just stop at a 90 degree angle" (for me thats maybe 3 in above my chest)

so i'm confused and i want my chest to be hard strong and developed. i'm tired of switching up methodologies.

help put this debate a step closer to the end.

CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CookBrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

you can also bring the elbows in tighter for more support

icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) icetrauma has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Full Range of Motion.
    Official Supp. Misc Beer Crew

There's a taste of fear
    When the henchmen call
    Iron fist to tame them
    Iron fist to claim it all

manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) manofmany has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I think alot of it depends on your body type. The way I am built, I naturally can only go 1.5" or so above my chest. If I attempt to touch my chest I will tweak my shoulders severely. If I try it a second or third time with a heavy weight, theres a good chance something will tear.

hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hazard52003 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you can get a thousand different opinions about what is the BEST form on any exercise..

the bottom line is DO WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOUR BODY.. i cant stress that enough.. for some people doing 2 inches above there chest is good for them for others they need to touch their chest..

personally i always touch my chest when i bench..

try different things.. listen to your body and you'll figure it out
    NJ CREW - 908/973

bac91 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to go all the way to my chest, but now after years of benching that way I switched a couple years ago to just above my chest about 2-3 inches a little lower then 90 degrees. My chest is my strongest muscle and it keeps getting stronger. My advice is do what feels comfortable, if going all the way to your chest is uncomfortable, or painful then don't. Either way your chest will get stronger.

IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This one seems to be beaten around every week or so, but I'll post anyways.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._myths_part_ii

Adage #6: Bench pressing will destroy your shoulders.

This one makes me want to pull out my hair. The bench press and its variations have tremendous value in training the upper body; problems arise when people train their egos and not the movements. This egotistical bench approach can be summed up with the following:

1. Lack of balance in training volume: This imbalance is present in a) internal and external rotation of the humerus, b) lack of balance between scapular protraction and retraction (and often inappropriate protraction substitution patterns), and c) horizontal adduction and horizontal abduction. The solutions are actually quite simple: bench less; do more horizontal pulling, external rotations and horizontal abduction exercises (i.e. posterior deltoid work); and incorporate some isolated scapular protraction work to activate the serratus anterior (see the Neanderthal No More series for specific exercises).

2. Poor technique: Unless you're a powerlifter in competition, don't get caught up in just using the grip (usually an ultra wide one) that allows you to move the most iron. Instead, you should choose a grip that takes into account shoulder health, recruitment patterns and carryover to sport.

In terms of shoulder health, in almost all cases, a narrower grip will be the safest, with anything outside of 1.5 times shoulder-width putting you at markedly greater risk (1,2). From a recruitment pattern standpoint, a close grip will overload the triceps to a greater degree, whereas a wider grip will involve the pectoralis major more. Using a 14-inch grip tends to have the greatest carryover to athletics. Just think of the position from which you block in football, throw a chest pass in basketball, check in hockey, grapple with an opponent in mixed martial arts, or support your body weight while in the missionary position.

A comprehensive description of benching technique is beyond the scope of this article, but if I had to give ten cues, they?d be 1) chest high, 2) elbows tucked, 3) scapulae retracted, 4) lower back neutral or arched, 5) feet on floor, 6) tight core (braced), 7) elbows under the bar, 8) get a lift-off, and 9) pull the bar down to you, and 10) spread the bar as you think about pressing yourself away from it (through the bench).

Also, in terms of bar speed, a controlled eccentric is much easier on your shoulders than ballistic work (3), so if you have a history of injury, you?d be best off avoiding bench throws and speed benches unless you?re completely in the clear. I cannot overstate the importance of keeping the chest high and elbows tucked, as doing so will prevent hyperextension in the bottom position of the bench press. This hyperextension has been linked to anterior glenohumeral instability related to capsular trauma and too much traction on the acromioclavicular (AC) joint.(4,5) Osteolysis of the distal clavicle can also become a serious problem in those who hyperextend the shoulder in the bottom position of the bench press.(6)

3. Lack of flexibility, or excessive flexibility: On one hand, we have the average gym rat that has benched his way to posture so bad that it would put Quasimoto to shame. With such internally rotated humeri and anteriorly tilted, winging scapulae, the subacromial space (space in the "shoulder" joint) is markedly compromised, and the rotator cuff can be easily irritated with various overhead activities and horizontal pressing. This situation is known as external impingement, and affected individuals need to fix their posture in order to bench safely.

On the other hand, you?ll encounter individuals (commonly overhead throwing athletes) with hypermobility at the glenohumeral joint; essentially, there?s too much room in the socket, and the humeral head clanks off of the rotator cuff and eventually leads to rotator cuff damage (internal impingement). These folks may need surgery to tighten things up, although many can work around the injuries and hypermobility with specific rotator cuff and scapular strengthening exercises as well as modification of form on (or completely avoiding) certain exercises.

4. Training through pain: I don?t think I need to go into much detail on this one. Suffice it to say that the overwhelming majority of lifters experience shoulder pain at some point during their time in the iron game. If something causes you pain, don?t do it.

Bench pressing is not inherently evil; it?s only a problem when stubborn lifters apply it inappropriately in their programming and perform the exercise itself incorrectly.

Judging from what I see in 90% of the routines posted on here,#1 is by far the most prevalent of all the issues.
    IG: @toadkillerdog

bodybuilding pretty boy JoeyDaFool's Avatar
    JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by IronAbrams View Post

This one makes me want to pull out my hair. The bench press and its variations have tremendous value in training the upper body; problems arise when people train their egos and not the movements. This egotistical bench approach can be summed up with the following:

1. Lack of balance in training volume: This imbalance is present in a) internal and external rotation of the humerus, b) lack of balance between scapular protraction and retraction (and often inappropriate protraction substitution patterns), and c) horizontal adduction and horizontal abduction. The solutions are actually quite simple: bench less; do more horizontal pulling, external rotations and horizontal abduction exercises (i.e. posterior deltoid work); and incorporate some isolated scapular protraction work to activate the serratus anterior (see the Neanderthal No More series for specific exercises).

2. Poor technique: Unless you're a powerlifter in competition, don't get caught up in just using the grip (usually an ultra wide one) that allows you to move the most iron. Instead, you should choose a grip that takes into account shoulder health, recruitment patterns and carryover to sport.

In terms of shoulder health, in almost all cases, a narrower grip will be the safest, with anything outside of 1.5 times shoulder-width putting you at markedly greater risk (1,2). From a recruitment pattern standpoint, a close grip will overload the triceps to a greater degree, whereas a wider grip will involve the pectoralis major more. Using a 14-inch grip tends to have the greatest carryover to athletics. Just think of the position from which you block in football, throw a chest pass in basketball, check in hockey, grapple with an opponent in mixed martial arts, or support your body weight while in the missionary position.

A comprehensive description of benching technique is beyond the scope of this article, but if I had to give ten cues, they?d be 1) chest high, 2) elbows tucked, 3) scapulae retracted, 4) lower back neutral or arched, 5) feet on floor, 6) tight core (braced), 7) elbows under the bar, 8) get a lift-off, and 9) pull the bar down to you, and 10) spread the bar as you think about pressing yourself away from it (through the bench).

Also, in terms of bar speed, a controlled eccentric is much easier on your shoulders than ballistic work (3), so if you have a history of injury, you?d be best off avoiding bench throws and speed benches unless you?re completely in the clear. I cannot overstate the importance of keeping the chest high and elbows tucked, as doing so will prevent hyperextension in the bottom position of the bench press. This hyperextension has been linked to anterior glenohumeral instability related to capsular trauma and too much traction on the acromioclavicular (AC) joint.(4,5) Osteolysis of the distal clavicle can also become a serious problem in those who hyperextend the shoulder in the bottom position of the bench press.(6)

3. Lack of flexibility, or excessive flexibility: On one hand, we have the average gym rat that has benched his way to posture so bad that it would put Quasimoto to shame. With such internally rotated humeri and anteriorly tilted, winging scapulae, the subacromial space (space in the "shoulder" joint) is markedly compromised, and the rotator cuff can be easily irritated with various overhead activities and horizontal pressing. This situation is known as external impingement, and affected individuals need to fix their posture in order to bench safely.

On the other hand, you?ll encounter individuals (commonly overhead throwing athletes) with hypermobility at the glenohumeral joint; essentially, there?s too much room in the socket, and the humeral head clanks off of the rotator cuff and eventually leads to rotator cuff damage (internal impingement). These folks may need surgery to tighten things up, although many can work around the injuries and hypermobility with specific rotator cuff and scapular strengthening exercises as well as modification of form on (or completely avoiding) certain exercises.

4. Training through pain: I don?t think I need to go into much detail on this one. Suffice it to say that the overwhelming majority of lifters experience shoulder pain at some point during their time in the iron game. If something causes you pain, don?t do it.

Bench pressing is not inherently evil; it?s only a problem when stubborn lifters apply it inappropriately in their programming and perform the exercise itself incorrectly.

Judging from what I see in 90% of the routines posted on here,#1 is by far the most prevalent of all the issues.
    i will rep you on recharge. awesome post. in too many cases, a weak back and rotator cuff is the cause of many shoulder injuries. training these muscles HARD is a MUST
    "Where the mind goes, the body will follow" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should stop before your shoulders start to hurt. I'm an ecto with narrow shoulders and long arms so I have to stop a few inches above my chest. Plus you work the chest more since you can use more weight.

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bench pressing is bone structure specific. That being said do it how you are comfertable doing it.

bodybuilding pretty boy JoeyDaFool's Avatar
    JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000) JoeyDaFool is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by sunyatasamsara View Post
    You should stop before your shoulders start to hurt. I'm an ecto with narrow shoulders and long arms so I have to stop a few inches above my chest. Plus you work the chest more since you can use more weight.
    terrible advice
    "Where the mind goes, the body will follow" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

keepthechange has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    touch your chest if you can

sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ^maybe but I don't have shoulder problems anymore. I only do db floor presses anyway.

Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Heavy_Beats has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do it like this.

Oside49er has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by IronAbrams View Post

Great post, thanks.

-Oside
    If you live in the past, your life is history.

essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000) essential222 is just really nice. (+1000)
    The only thing about bench that I am not 100% clear as to what is perfect form is whether to flare elbows IE inline with the bar, or tuck them towards torso a little,

For me tucking them seems to take pressure off delts and shoulders and I can move more weight, I have heard the opposite from many people saying tucking elbows adds pressure to delts,

Thoughts?

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by manofmany View Post
    I think alot of it depends on your body type. The way I am built, I naturally can only go 1.5" or so above my chest. If I attempt to touch my chest I will tweak my shoulders severely. If I try it a second or third time with a heavy weight, theres a good chance something will tear.
    Originally Posted by hazard52003 View Post
    the bottom line is DO WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOUR BODY.. i cant stress that enough.. for some people doing 2 inches above there chest is good for them for others they need to touch their chest.
    try different things..

listen to your body and you'll figure it out
    Bingo. Personally, I got much better results WITHOUT touching the bar to my chest, but then I have a shallow rib cage and long arms. But it took me a while (several years before I realized it) to figure out that was the best technique for me personally.

Ironically, my chest while one of my weakest bodyparts, is now my strongest. Go figure.
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    bench will not 'destroy' your shoulders if they're flexible

touch your chest if you want it to count as an actual rep max or want an actual measure of weight progress

if you want to not touch your chest because you think it works your pecs more that's fine but if you max that way it does NOT count

tucking elbows and flexing your lats against the bench will give more support
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hulkinout is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The last post also reminded me: you need to ask yourself are you benching for powerlifting or for bodybuilding? The powerlifters and the bodybuilders will have different responses on technique, because the former are chasing maximal strength and the latter are chasing maximal development.

Most guys seem to be looking for a mix of the two, and that might help inform a third response.

Just food for thought...
    Keep on hulkin'.

I won't quit till no shirt will fit.

KernKraft Muskeln Dire.Straits.'s Avatar
    Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dire.Straits. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tbh I would have to say do whatever you feel is right. Its similar to the squatting argument, but at the end of the day different peoples technique vary, and that being said, there is no 'perfect' technique, only the technique suited to the person who is lifting the weight.
    On another note, have you tried Chest Presses on a Nautilus/Multigym? You could use one of these to find out what technique is right for you, move it about a bit,adjust yourself, get comfortable, so that on your next chest day youd be able to get your technique spot on. It'd give you a faint idea of what range of motion you would be looking at, and let you decide how far you would want to go.
    Only one body.
    BUILD IT!

Targets:

9% BodyFat [ ]
    175lbs [x]
    185lbs [x]
    200lbs [ ]

TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500) TJ2000 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Its not rocket science man, just put some weight on the bar and lower it down to chest and push back up for reps.
    Some guys do it differently, do what feels natural and best for YOU, if that means not touching the chest completely then don't and vice versa.

I hate chest day though, I have come to the conclusion that my chest will never be big and strong. Ah well, I'd rather have strong back and arms then chest though, even if that means not having huge pecs.
    Most women don't like giant chests any way, they prefer the broad shoulders and big arms type.

ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ghostice has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Paumen View Post
    Bench pressing is bone structure specific. That being said do it how you are comfertable doing it.
    Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    Bingo. Personally, I got much better results WITHOUT touching the bar to my chest, but then I have a shallow rib cage and long arms. But it took me a while (several years before I realized it) to figure out that was the best technique for me personally.

Ironically, my chest while one of my weakest bodyparts, is now my strongest. Go figure.
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post
    bench will not 'destroy' your shoulders if they're flexible

touch your chest if you want it to count as an actual rep max or want an actual measure of weight progress

if you want to not touch your chest because you think it works your pecs more that's fine but if you max that way it does NOT count

tucking elbows and flexing your lats against the bench will give more support
    Originally Posted by hulkinout View Post
    The last post also reminded me: you need to ask yourself are you benching for powerlifting or for bodybuilding? The powerlifters and the bodybuilders will have different responses on technique, because the former are chasing maximal strength and the latter are chasing maximal development.

Most guys seem to be looking for a mix of the two, and that might help inform a third response.

Just food for thought...
    Originally Posted by Dire.Straits. View Post
    Tbh I would have to say do whatever you feel is right. Its similar to the squatting argument, but at the end of the day different peoples technique vary, and that being said, there is no 'perfect' technique, only the technique suited to the person who is lifting the weight.
    On another note, have you tried Chest Presses on a Nautilus/Multigym? You could use one of these to find out what technique is right for you, move it about a bit,adjust yourself, get comfortable, so that on your next chest day youd be able to get your technique spot on. It'd give you a faint idea of what range of motion you would be looking at, and let you decide how far you would want to go.
    well as far as structure specific my arms are long at about 34"in. my shoulder width is approximately 21-22"inches. when i did a closer grip couple people ran over saying i was doing it to close and for my size i needed to put my middle finger around the smooth rings on the bar.

i feel the pull on my chest at 1~2 inches. i always try to go down as far as i can while keeping track of whether or not i will have enough momentum or energy to get the bar back up.

if im only doing lets say 135 no problem i touch my chest and push it up 15~20 times maybe more. but when i go up 10-20 pounds my arms and shoulders strain to push it up off my chest full ROM. so i begin having to stop above my chest as stated previously.

then people come around saying i'm cheating and that those reps don't count. wtf?

i dont have a portruding or thick chest so even with my scapula retracted and lats flared my chest doesn't push out enough to reduce the ROM and allow me to touch the bar to my chest.

those are my measurements and my procedures. i just did chest yesterday.

next chest workout will be on friday. i only do 2 a week. sometimes 1

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Here I have a link that may help you out...http://razorripped.com/showthread.php?t=384

Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000) Geneticz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dicksmothers View Post

you can also bring the elbows in tighter for more support

That guy is ridiculous doing 25 + reps - thats what some NFL players do.

Originally Posted by jmcreagh View Post
    That guy is ridiculous doing 25 + reps - thats what some NFL players do.
    yeah and bringing in your elbows more wrecks your triceps it feels like more of tricep workout than a bench at that point.