bigjo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Katch-McArdle formula

Hi everyone. I've been working on loosing body fat for a while and just finished reading Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. Not knowing a lot about nutrition, the information was very intresting and helpful.

This being said, I used Katch-McArdle to figure out a BMR then multiplied by an activity factor 1.55 (the one assuming that you work out. It gave me 370 + (21.6 X Lean Mass in kg) which was 370 + (21.6 X 48.8). The BMR is 1424. Whe this is multiplied by an activity factor (1.55 for my level of activity) it tells me that my total daily energy expenditure is 2207. If I am looking to get my body fat down. I want to look my best for my wedding 1/4/09. How many calories should I be taking in per day?

I do cardio about 5 to 6 days a week and weights for about 30 min 3 days a week.

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bigjo View Post
    Hi everyone. I've been working on loosing body fat for a while and just finished reading Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. Not knowing a lot about nutrition, the information was very intresting and helpful.

This being said, I used Katch-McArdle to figure out a BMR then multiplied by an activity factor 1.55 (the one assuming that you work out. It gave me 370 + (21.6 X Lean Mass in kg) which was 370 + (21.6 X 48.8). The BMR is 1424. Whe this is multiplied by an activity factor (1.55 for my level of activity) it tells me that my total daily energy expenditure is 2207. If I am looking to get my body fat down. I want to look my best for my wedding 1/4/09. How many calories should I be taking in per day?

I do cardio about 5 to 6 days a week and weights for about 30 min 3 days a week.
    Doesn't Tom's book recommend adjusted BMR - 500 as a start?
    Squat heavy or go home

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/enigmapower

hmm

Originally Posted by EnigmaPower View Post
    Doesn't Tom's book recommend adjusted BMR - 500 as a start?
    Thanks for the reply! I'll have to go back and look. Is 500 the normal standard?

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Read a little farther into the book, but you'll see he suggests reducing calories by a percentage, eg. 20%, meaning take 2200 * 0.8 as your caloric target.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

Gotcha. 1760 sounds good to me. Thanks!

Thumbs up Wow

I'm just about finished with my first day of 1760 cals and I feel so much better. Acutally I feel awsome! I guess I was undereating for my activity level. I don't feel like I'm having any cravings or like I'm starving to death. It's really something to see how so many people belive that have to starve to death to make improvements in their bodies.

I'm looking foward to following this and mesuring my progress again.

EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50) EnigmaPower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm just about finished with my first day of 1760 cals and I feel so much better. Acutally I feel awsome! I guess I was undereating for my activity level. I don't feel like I'm having any cravings or like I'm starving to death. It's really something to see how so many people belive that have to starve to death to make improvements in their bodies.

PSST...measuring works better
    Squat heavy or go home

Originally Posted by EnigmaPower View Post
    PSST...measuring works better
    Lol sure does! Thanks :-)

Lol sure does! Thanks :-)
    not a problem. Good luck with your lifting.
    Squat heavy or go home

mandat28 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

activity multiplier

It's difficult for me to determine where I fall on the scale as far as the activity multiplier. I teach 4 cycle classes/week, 2 bootcamps and a Lift class. I also lift heavy on my own 2-3 days/week. I spend 13 hours a day at a desk tied to a phone and computer. Pretty active at home in the evenings with cooking, cleaning, errands, etc. I have always used "light activity" based on the majority of the time I spend here at my desk. Wondering if that could be too low?
    never perfect, but always better

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mandat28 View Post
    It's difficult for me to determine where I fall on the scale as far as the activity multiplier. I teach 4 cycle classes/week, 2 bootcamps and a Lift class. I also lift heavy on my own 2-3 days/week. I spend 13 hours a day at a desk tied to a phone and computer. Pretty active at home in the evenings with cooking, cleaning, errands, etc. I have always used "light activity" based on the majority of the time I spend here at my desk. Wondering if that could be too low?
    No that's not light activity to me. But you also have to beware that the formula and multipliers are only estimates. So if you find choosing "light activity" works for you, and you aren't starving constantly while dieting, I'd actually stick with that. Now if you think you are inbetween 2 categories, just take a multiplier in between the two numbers.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm one of those people who believed you have to starve yourself to lose weight. I recently just decided to up my calories to 1400 but I'm still burning about 450 on the treadmill 6x a week. I have one cheat day a week, and up until this point it hasn't been monitored (but I think i might monitor it...) so my question is, how much time should you give yourself at this calorie level before realizing it's either working or not working? my cals have been low recently, and I lost weight...but it scares me to up my cals and wonder if i'll be consistently gaining because my body isn't used to it? I know I need to get my head around it and just have faith it will work and i'll be okay on 1400. Also, should it be 1400 net? or 1400 eating, and not make up for the cals I worked off during exercise?
    Thanks

Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mishka1989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    and i definitely didn't realize this thread was 4 years old! whoops.

wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000) wakechica is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mishka1989 View Post
    I'm one of those people who believed you have to starve yourself to lose weight. I recently just decided to up my calories to 1400 but I'm still burning about 450 on the treadmill 6x a week. I have one cheat day a week, and up until this point it hasn't been monitored (but I think i might monitor it...) so my question is, how much time should you give yourself at this calorie level before realizing it's either working or not working? my cals have been low recently, and I lost weight...but it scares me to up my cals and wonder if i'll be consistently gaining because my body isn't used to it? I know I need to get my head around it and just have faith it will work and i'll be okay on 1400. Also, should it be 1400 net? or 1400 eating, and not make up for the cals I worked off during exercise?
    Thanks
    You should be easing more than 1400 at your stats, your basically eating at BMR. I would normally say don't eat back cals but because you find it hard I would recommend you eat back what you burn - at least until you're comfortable eating more. What's your goal?