richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Can't do more than 8ish reps

Hi guys,

So I'm pretty new to bodybuilding, I've really only been lifting heavy for about a month. I pushed through newbie tendon pain, and I've gained around 7 lbs on my 6'5" frame using creatine, weight gainer, and food. I know 5lbs of that is water weight, but I digress.

I just started working out with my father this week, who was a bodybuilder in the before time. He used to compete, and his crowning achievement was a 2nd place finish in Mr. Massachusetts. Today we did bench, and I managed to build up to 185lbs, which I'm pretty proud of considering I was never a big dude. However, my question is not with maxing out, but with the weight before that.

I can rep out 155lbs for about 8 reps, but after my 8th rep, I can barely even get the bar off my chest. Why is that? It happens with lower weight too. I can put up 135lbs for a solid amount of reps, but my strength seems to just drop off the face of the earth. My father just seems to slowly drop off, needing a little more assistance for each rep, but for me, I don't even need a spotter until suddenly Jesus takes all my gains at once. I usually just do flat dumbbells cause I don't have a bench spotter, and I can definitely see how I start to get weaker as I do more reps, but with bench, I can just pound out reps until all of a sudden I can't.

Is this the creatine having an effect on me, or am I just really new to bench? Is it my Diet? As an ectomorph, I'm currently using the "**** dieting I'll just eat everything" diet, and it's served me well so far, but could that be the problem? Do I just not have bench stamina yet?

connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) connorpat1995 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    bench press is just weird like that for many. Speedy solid reps until a sudden failure
    nothing to worry about
    log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165742981

nothing but the basics

mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mikschu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think you just have to give it time and get stronger. Accessory work can help too. I was always like this but as I'm improving I notice I'm able to see my strength taper off more slowly, and I don't just come to a grinding halt like I used to. It might also have to do with my ability to push past my sticking point, and to push out a couple more reps even when it reeeaaally hurts to go any farther. I've seen it mentioned on here before, the bench press is not supposed to be comfortable, and learning how to keep your core and upper back really tight will make it more uncomfortable but provide a good stable base to press from and allow you to press past your pain threshold...

KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000) KENKONG is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're 18 and have only been going at it for a few weeks, that's why. Give it time,
    it's a long process like anything worth doing you'll be happy with the end results if you put
    the time in. Don't sweat the numbers right now, consistency is your friend.

TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TLe041 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Benching 185 lb after a month of lifting? That's impressive if you can manage full ROM (bringing the BB down to the chest), which I doubt you are. There's nothing wrong with going lighter with full ROM. Right now, your primary focus should be your form, not the numbers.
    T

richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10) richardcoffey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TLe041 View Post
    Benching 185 lb after a month of lifting? That's impressive if you can manage full ROM (bringing the BB down to the chest), which I doubt you are. There's nothing wrong with going lighter with full ROM. Right now, your primary focus should be your form, not the numbers.
    Because my arms are so long, I understand the importance of full range of motion. I make sure that I keep full range of motion for every exercise to develop a good base. Is 185 really that big of a deal? I was surprised I couldn't get higher after a month of lifting...

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by richardcoffey View Post
    Because my arms are so long, I understand the importance of full range of motion. I make sure that I keep full range of motion for every exercise to develop a good base. Is 185 really that big of a deal? I was surprised I couldn't get higher after a month of lifting...
    I think most untrained male's 1RM is around 135. So yeah, 185 is a bit higher than 135. I've seen lots of skinny dudes struggling with 65-85 lbs for reps on their first session.

Keep in mind like 99% of the people you've ever seen bench press in your life have been doing it way longer than you have. So you should probably be comparing yourself only to the weakest and least experienced among them (for now).

Originally Posted by kanis999 View Post
    I think most untrained male's 1RM is around 135. So yeah, 185 is a bit higher than 135. I've seen lots of skinny dudes struggling with 65-85 lbs for reps on their first session.

Keep in mind like 99% of the people you've ever seen bench press in your life have been doing it way longer than you have. So you should probably be comparing yourself only to the weakest and least experienced among them (for now).
    Wouldn't this line of thinking promote complacency? If anything, shouldn't I be aspiring to lift more than the biggest guy in the gym?

kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kanis999 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Wouldn't this line of thinking promote complacency? If anything, shouldn't I be aspiring to lift more than the biggest guy in the gym?
    No, what you REALLY should be comparing yourself to is NOBODY. Since you felt like comparing yourself to other people I decided to give you a realistic outlook. I always promote practicality and realistic expectations. You should only ever compare your own gains to yourself.

You're also better off in the long run if you take your time progressing. Chasing higher numbers too aggressively is almost guaranteed to get you injured. Progress to the next weight only once you've mastered the weight before.

Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Felipon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Been lifting for over a year and can only bench 125x5

Originally Posted by kanis999 View Post
    No, what you REALLY should be comparing yourself to is NOBODY. Since you felt like comparing yourself to other people I decided to give you a realistic outlook. I always promote practicality and realistic expectations. You should only ever compare your own gains to yourself.

You're also better off in the long run if you take your time progressing. Chasing higher numbers too aggressively is almost guaranteed to get you injured. Progress to the next weight only once you've mastered the weight before.
    Great people did not have realistic expectations. I think that there is a difference between striving to achieve your goals, and being stupid. I know that I'm not going to be able to be the biggest guy in the gym (yet), but does training 5-6 times a week with my father (who was a competition level bodybuilder keep in mind) mean I'm being irresponsible? I want to push myself to the limits. There is a fine line between getting bigger, and running myself into the ground, but I know that I'm smart enough to grow without injuries.

Great people did not have realistic expectations. I think that there is a difference between striving to achieve your goals, and being stupid. I know that I'm not going to be able to be the biggest guy in the gym (yet), but does training 5-6 times a week with my father (who was a competition level bodybuilder keep in mind) mean I'm being irresponsible? I want to push myself to the limits. There is a fine line between getting bigger, and running myself into the ground, but I know that I'm smart enough to grow without injuries.
    Thank you for the life lessons from an 18 year old. Keep being smart and I'll just keep being stupid.