Thread: pilonidal cyst

railler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

pilonidal cyst

Hi good people. I really need some help and advice here. I heard that this problem starts mainly with younger people, I'm 54. I've been into bodybuilding for many years. I hit the gym about 5 days a week. Anyway, last week I noticed this "problem", after doing my sit-up routine, later in the day I started to get a swelling on my tailbone. Didn't think much of it until it swelled to the size of a golf ball and wow did it hurt! Two days went by and it finally "ruptured", quite a mess. I was scared and went to the doctor. She said that it looked like it was resolving itself, because the pain and swelling went down a lot. She prescribed an antibiotic type vasoline to put on it 3 times a day, told me to buy a donut to sit on, along with not sitting too much in the same spot, to put hot compresses on it and to take hot baths in case of other flare-ups. Now, I was on a few health posts, I'm worried it might return, almost to the point of anxiety. I'm afraid to do any type of sit-down exercise at the gym, but I surely do want to keep working out. I'm doing my dips, and all kinds of cable workouts while standing. The doctor said that my exercising probably helped bring this on, and told me to take it easy. Are there any natural supplements out there that can help with this? Does anyone know of home remedies that would help? A lot of the information out there says the same thing, if its operated on, there is a very high rate of it returning, I mentioned this to the doctor and told her that I didn't want it operated on because of it possibly returning, and she actually agreed with me on this. Do you think its still ok for me to work-out while standing, or should I take it easy on that too? I will talk to and reply to anyone and everyone about this. Thank you so much------Railler

soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I had the same problem last year. After mine ruptured, I didn't work out for like 2 weeks and that was apparently the best thing I could've done. For one reason or another, I wasn't able to see a doctor for those two weeks and when I finally did he told me that it was good that I hadn't worked out. Just as you rest your muscles after a workout to let them recover, the affected area needed time to straighten itself out too. About a month after it ruptured I was back to 100%. Since then I've had no problems. Just make sure you keep the area clean and hairless (as embarassing as that may be). The doctor that I saw said that there's a much lower chance the cyst will return in an active healthy person as long as you take care of yourself so don't worry too much.

Take some time off and get it straightened out. Sorry if this was a bit of a rant I haven't slept much in the last few days.
    "Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion."
    - Muhammad Ali

"Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro"
    - A greedy mind is not satisfied with any gain -

pilonidal cyst

Hi. Thank you so much for this reply!! I knew there had to be other people out there with this. Your comments gave me hope that this thing just might go away. I'm only doing about 25 minutes of workout, instead of my usual hour, and as I mentioned, I'm doing no sitting, just standing stuff, dips, cables, standing dumbell presses, and with not much weight. Did you take any other kind of supplement to help you to heal? If you have any more info on this, please let me know Again, thank you!!

soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) soxcc10 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No there was no supplement that I took out of the ordinary. I'm sure you've gone to pilonidal.org, but if not check it out.
    "Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion."
    - Muhammad Ali

"Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro"
    - A greedy mind is not satisfied with any gain -

DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DaBurg3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    when you return to exercising you can probably minimize the chances of a re-occurrence if you learn abdominal exercises that do not involve being on the ground. (hanging leg raises, cable crunches, ab wheel etc.) I used to have very bad acne on my back because I did all my abdominal work on the ground, although that's not as bad a cyst.
    Tie your shoes = ready for anything

Too Tough To Die

Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by railler View Post
    Hi. Thank you so much for this reply!! I knew there had to be other people out there with this. Your comments gave me hope that this thing just might go away. I'm only doing about 25 minutes of workout, instead of my usual hour, and as I mentioned, I'm doing no sitting, just standing stuff, dips, cables, standing dumbell presses, and with not much weight. Did you take any other kind of supplement to help you to heal? If you have any more info on this, please let me know Again, thank you!!

My friend, there are NO supplements that are effective for preventing a recurrence of this condition. In fact it is very possible that the cyst will fill up again in the future and require medical intervention. In the meanwhile make certain that you take a bath very shortly after working out in order to keep that area very clean and free from the buildup of sweat and body heat which may precipitate another flareup. If the cyst recurs it is important to start applying hot compresses and sitz baths as soon as possible. This will prevent the cyst from getting too large and possibly not opening on its own that may require surgical excision. Surgery for this condition is not always successful in preventing this cyst from returning and the post surgical experience can be quite uncomfortable. That is why it is very important to ensure appropriate personal hygiene to keep that area very clean and dry.
    Last edited by Beachmaster; 11-02-2008 at 06:43 AM.

pilonidal cyst

Hi Beachmaster, thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate the comments. It actually did rupture and drained, its been about 2 weeks now, it drained just a little bit twice so far, each time less than before, with no swelling or pain. I am doing my absolute best to keep clean and dry. I'm also using the antibiotic ointment the doctor prescribed for me. I know all to well about possible re-occurance, I've visited the web sites, and, as I mentioned in my first post, the doctor actually aggreed with me about not having surgery on it because of possible re-occurance. It has just really "thrown me for a loop" with my exercise routine, I'm standing to do everything, its not to say that I'm having bad workouts, in reality, there is a lot I can do, its just not the same for me for right now, but I guess I'll get used to it. If there is any other info that you have, please let me know. And I'm saying "Thank You' to all else that replied, you've been a great help!!--------railler

Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beachmaster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by railler View Post
    Hi Beachmaster, thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate the comments. It actually did rupture and drained, its been about 2 weeks now, it drained just a little bit twice so far, each time less than before, with no swelling or pain. I am doing my absolute best to keep clean and dry. I'm also using the antibiotic ointment the doctor prescribed for me. I know all to well about possible re-occurance, I've visited the web sites, and, as I mentioned in my first post, the doctor actually aggreed with me about not having surgery on it because of possible re-occurance. It has just really "thrown me for a loop" with my exercise routine, I'm standing to do everything, its not to say that I'm having bad workouts, in reality, there is a lot I can do, its just not the same for me for right now, but I guess I'll get used to it. If there is any other info that you have, please let me know. And I'm saying "Thank You' to all else that replied, you've been a great help!!--------railler
    Railler, try to keep this condition in perspective because although uncomfortable and inconvenient it is not life threatening and can ususually be managed very well without surgery. My first bout with this condition was in my teens and I experienced a number of recurrences throughout my adult life and successfully managed them without the need for sugery. Believe me when I tell you that compared to the other medical conditions I have incurred in the past twenty years the pilonidal cyst is the least of my problems. Just maintain good post-workout hygiene and at the first signs of inflammation initiate your hot towel applications to prevent it from becoming a full fledged infection. Regards, Beachmaster

pilonidal cyst

Again, Beachmaster, thank you. Your words are most reasuring. I'm just trying to get over the "fear factor" here, I'd really like to go back to the machines and benches to work out with like I did all these past years, but I'm really afraid to put any type of pressure in that area while sitting or even laying down on a bench to do bench presses. It sounds like you really know your stuff, and hope all is well with any other type of problem that you encountered. Don't know if I'm allowed to post my e-mail here.

biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) biggin66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Gotta love the ol' butt cyst. Found mine my sophomore year of high school. Kinda messy. I went to the doctor and they did me just like they are doing you. All was well for about 2 months and then one day at a baseball game one of my coaches said that i had some drainage on the back of my pants. I had surgery as soon as we got out of school. I actually just had an epidural and stayed awake during my surgery by choice. I was talkin to the doctors the whole time. Recovery was not so much fun. I had a whole prolly 2 inches long and an inch and a half deep down my crack. The key to a succesful recovery is keeping it cleaned out and packed with gauze. It was a horrible summer. No swimming or anything like that. The only bad pain was my first bowel movement after the surgery and I think I was really more scared than anything. My mom cleaned out the wound and packed it with gauze twice a day. You have to let it heal from the inside out. If it is closed up then the cyst will just reform on the inside. It looked like a golfball when they showed it to me. Anyways, I missed a whole summer of fun but was back to playing football in august. I am now a junior in college and played two years of football in college before a career ending knee injury. I haven't had any more problems with the cyst though. I recommend the surgery personally but just be sure the doctor know what he/she is doing. I know im rambling but I can't sleep. lol. Any other questions just feel free to ask.

P.S. I sure could use some rep points. lol
    ^^FORMER 300+ Pound Crew^^

If you fall down 7 times, stand up 8!