Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Powerlfters and Bench don't understand something

Why do some guys wear a belt when benching? Also I notice some people super arch their back when benching why?
    Distraction is an obstruction for the construction.

“The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence.”

Kakarot!

Real Deal Strength & Con. Cricket_Fire's Avatar
    Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cricket_Fire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its most often used to hold the bench shirt in place

NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NASAKYCHAIRMAN is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ss4vegeta1 View Post
    Why do some guys wear a belt when benching? Also I notice some people super arch their back when benching why?
    A belt helps protect your lower back and give support.

The purpose of an arch is to decrease your range of motion and lead to lifting bigger weight. Otherwords, shorten your bench press stroke to help increase your max bench press.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAKYCHAIRMAN

ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000) ss4vegeta1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Cricket_Fire View Post
    Its most often used to hold the bench shirt in place
    Even though its on the waist? Doesn't make much sense to me and I own a belt. Rarely used though.

“The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence.”

Kakarot!

Originally Posted by NASAKYCHAIRMAN View Post

The purpose of an arch is to decrease your range of motion and lead to lifting bigger weight. Otherwords, shorten your bench press stroke to help increase your max bench press.

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL

Strange I def don't feel it in my lower back at all. I try to feel the pump in my chest. Alot of times I feel like I am working my shoulders more than my chest.

Kakarot!

my name isn't diana Diana Meeque's Avatar
    Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Even though its on the waist? Doesn't make much sense to me and I own a belt. Rarely used though.
    when you jack a bench shirt down it can slip back up easily, even from something like just wrapping your wrists...so a belt will keep the shirt in place and make sure it doesnt ride up while you're pressing or setting up etc.
    501, 302, 551; 1354 @ 181
    Hoss' Gym utube: youtube.com/hoss3644
    Mai utube: youtube.com/caa916

Originally Posted by Diana Meeque View Post
    when you jack a bench shirt down it can slip back up easily, even from something like just wrapping your wrists...so a belt will keep the shirt in place and make sure it doesnt ride up while you're pressing or setting up etc.
    I never tried a bench shirt but def gotta pick up some wrist wraps for heavy bench and heavy powercleans

Kakarot!

EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000) EinMassengrab. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Strange I def don't feel it in my lower back at all. I try to feel the pump in my chest. Alot of times I feel like I am working my shoulders more than my chest.
    i've watched people max with an arch, and to get the weight up they start contorting - because their left or right side might be stronger... this would put more force on that part of your lower back and hurt it. i never use a belt except when maxing, because as long as your form is good arching is harmless for your lower back
    6' 215 lbs

CURRENT (all estimated)/GOAL

Bench: 390+/405
    Squat: 430ish/500
    Deadlift: 450ish/600

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=114780741

ZHOSTKA!!!

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    I never tried a bench shirt but def gotta pick up some wrist wraps for heavy bench and heavy powercleans
    wrist wraps would not be beneficial to a power clean. they would be harmful as you wouldn't be able to rack the clean properly.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50) Deadliftking will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Then you don't have big arch.

behind the bamboo curtain RAGS_21's Avatar
    RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RAGS_21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I only use a belt for squats, deadlifts, and sometimes barbell rows to keep my lower back in check. I think it would annoy me if I benched with it on. But that's just me.
    "The next time someone tells you that you can't be lean and big and strong, all simultaneously, slap them dead in the mouth, rape their girlfriend, and then go lift something heavy."

workout journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127041211

BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why do some people at the gym use wrist STRAPS when benching? Whats the point f wrapping the bar as if your going to deadlifts the weight?

^ bighairynutsack oops ighairynutsack's Avatar
    ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BEhave View Post
    Why do some people at the gym use wrist STRAPS when benching? Whats the point f wrapping the bar as if your going to deadlifts the weight?
    wrist wraps keep your wrists straight and help burden the load of the weight so you can lift more without harming your wrists. most people let their wrists turn and wraps would greatly help them. you should always try to keep your wrists straight anyway. wraps can help if you have an injury like i do.

SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Arching your back doesn't decrease the range of motion. It turns a flat press into a decline press. Many lifters are stronger on a decline movement due to weak upper pecs. It should be avoided because it is cheating and makes you look like a fool!

my name isn't diana Diana Meeque's Avatar
    Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Diana Meeque is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SDB1 View Post
    Arching your back doesn't decrease the range of motion. It turns a flat press into a decline press. Many lifters are stronger on a decline movement due to weak upper pecs. It should be avoided because it is cheating and makes you look like a fool!
    is this a joke post?
    501, 302, 551; 1354 @ 181
    Hoss' Gym utube: youtube.com/hoss3644
    Mai utube: youtube.com/caa916

James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10) James.Widener is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suggest you read up on PL bench techniques and do some research before posting something as absourd as this
    L.T.F.F.

A little stonger than your average housewife and a lot weaker than your average gorillia - Trevor Smith

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109446021 --- feeback appericated

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    you wearing britney spears' belly shirt or something? I'm gonna say this real slow, like to a 5 y.o., you put the belt OVER the shirt, and the belt HOLDS the shirt DOWN.

cause they're stupid. they don't realize the straps only work as designed when the weight is being PULLED away from their grip.

Originally Posted by ighairynutsack View Post
    wrist wraps keep your wrists straight and help burden the load of the weight so you can lift more without harming your wrists. most people let their wrists turn and wraps would greatly help them. you should always try to keep your wrists straight anyway. wraps can help if you have an injury like i do.
    ...completely missed the point. there is a difference between wraps:

and straps:

this is incorrect in a number of ways.
    1. physiological-decline is a stronger movement due to a short Range of Motion and biomechanical advantage from the decline position shifts and improves your leverages.
    2. There are no federations (to my knowledge) that require the bench press to be completed without an arch.
    3. Further, artificially creating a "flat-back" during the bench press is dangerous and creates instability in the lifter. It is dangerous because in order to press your lower back flat against the bench you have to round the lumbar vertebrae away from their natural arched position.

thank you for participating but you are woefully under-informed for any serious discussion on the subject.

^ bighairynutsack oops ighairynutsack's Avatar
    ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ighairynutsack has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    my bad i thought it said wraps and not straps.

Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Errorist is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lol @ posting something like this in the powerlifting section. Or anywhere for that matter.
    "Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm going to start answering these posts with the Harley rider mantra: "If you have to ask, you won't understand".

BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000) BEhave is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ighairynutsack View Post
    I said straps. Not wraps. As in straps people use to deadlifts and do rack pulls.

Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Most powerlifters who utilize this method are using more their lower pecs...so decline is a better preparation exercise in my opinion.

However, I do not use a super arch, and keep my feet flat to maintain maximum support and as good a base as possible. This allows you to stabilize much more with your trunk, and is also a lot less dangerous.

Decreasing the angle indeed does help the overall completion of the bench out, but basically you're not doing a full ROM bench, and all muscles of the chest aren't being engaged to the same degree as a when using a flatter spine. This is the reason you don't feel a "pump" as much in the chest, even though that's not really a concern of powerlifting.

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    LOL...you should be banned for 5 days. During this time frame, I suggest that you read up on how powerlifters train.

Smitty_1977 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I said straps. Not wraps. As in straps people use to deadlifts and do rack pulls.
    In all my years in a gym, and some of the crazy things I've seen, I have yet to see someone use wrist straps for benching...I've seen straps for most other things. If someone is using them for benching, they are just plain clueless or ignorant.

SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SDB1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by isaku900 View Post

this is incorrect in a number of ways.
    1. physiological-decline is a stronger movement due to a short Range of Motion and biomechanical advantage from the decline position shifts and improves your leverages.
    2. There are no federations (to my knowledge) that require the bench press to be completed without an arch.
    3. Further, artificially creating a "flat-back" during the bench press is dangerous and creates instability in the lifter. It is dangerous because in order to press your lower back flat against the bench you have to round the lumbar vertebrae away from their natural arched position.

thank you for participating but you are woefully under-informed for any serious discussion on the subject.
    The arched back creates better leverage! That is why it's cheating. Not in competition but yourself! I highly doubt that the OP was watching trained powerlifters set a new PR in competition! More likely he's watching some idiots who resort to bad form to get the weight up. What's the point of doing that all the time? It's bad form and should only be used for Max attempts! I see half pints all the time struggling under 100lbs shoving their cocks in the air trying to get the weight up. It absolutely does give a leverage advantage and absolutley does look retarded!

I'm also not talking about keeping your lower back on the bench as this would be a physical impossibility. I'm talking about taking your ass a foot off the bench every time you do a pressing movement.

The arched back creates better leverage! That is why it's cheating. Not in competition but yourself! I highly doubt that the OP was watching trained powerlifters set a new PR in competition! More likely he's watching some idiots who resort to bad form to get the weight up. What's the point of doing that all the time? It's bad form and should only be used for Max attempts! I see half pints all the time struggling under 100lbs shoving their cocks in the air trying to get the weight up. It absolutely does give a leverage advantage and absolutley does look retarded!

I'm also not talking about keeping your lower back on the bench as this would be a physical impossibility. I'm talking about taking your ass a foot off the bench every time you do a pressing movement.
    you're still wrong, taking your butt off the bench = red lights in competition.

the OP clearly stated POWERLIFTERS in the title, hence it is reasonable to assume that he was asking about Powerlifting. In which an arch is perfectly legitimate.

thank you for playing again, but you you still lose.

AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AJ010 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Might as well deadlift a few feet behind the bar. If you stand too close to the bar, you might create better leverage!!

Furthermore, arched-back bench press style still requires the lifter to keep their ass on the bench.

The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

First and foremost: why would you post something like that in a POWERLIFTING section is beyond me...

Second: you need to practice an arch to be good at it in competition, that's why powerlifters will use an arch in training; even with lower weights that would go up easily with non-optimal leverage. (for example, I arch when benching the bar as a warm-up).
    Any movement require good technique, and good technique must be practiced.

Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by NASAKYCHAIRMAN View Post

TRAIN HARD

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
    It also increases the torque.

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you're digging yourself deeper ... LOL
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?