chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lifting after Hernia Repair

I had a hernia laprascopically repaired about 2 years ago and was wondering if anyone else had hernia repairs done and how it effects their workout and if hey have any limitations. I am thinking of going to a doctor to see whats up, but was just seeing if anyone else was dealing with the same thing.

Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had a hernia repair (inguinal, left side) about ummm. .. 5 or 6 years ago (I think)? Initially, after the op & getting back into the gym I did suffer from severe pain/burning sensation radiating down my leg which prevented me from pretty much everything. Long story short I ended up turning to acupuncture for help which completely resolved the pain. I've been good since then & it hasn't really affected my training, nor have I encountered any limitations due to the repair I'm extremely happy to say.

Just curious as to your cause for concern though . . Are you experiencing any pain or issues 2 years later? Have you been training?

chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10) chrisber is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Joemoms View Post
    Just curious as to your cause for concern though . . Are you experiencing any pain or issues 2 years later? Have you been training?
    Well since I had the surgery I was just playing sports and pretty much gave most physical activity a rest for a while until I felt I could get back in it. After that I worked out for a couple of months when I got to college I stopped for some unknown reason (not due to discomfort) and just started back up recently. The worst I have felt over the years is just like a little pain and discomfort in the area I had the surgery where the mesh I would guess is. It seems to still come up after 3 years when I work out muscles associated with my groin or right above my groin but its never gotten in the way of sports or lifting yet. I am really just afraid to use any of my stomach/abdominal muscles because I don't to reinjure myself.

ps. mine was inguinal right side
    Last edited by chrisber; 10-23-2008 at 08:40 AM.

Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50) Joemoms will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by chrisber View Post
    I am really just afraid to use any of my stomach/abdominal muscles because I don't to reinjure myself.
    I hear you on that, I had the same worries & concerns. But bro let me tell you.. peep the attatchment, I got to that after all the worries, concerns & issues Just take it slow & easy till you feel comfortable with progressing intensity. Its okay to be cautious, but don't let it stop you entirely. Hope this helps bro, feel free to PM me anytime.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by Joemoms View Post
    I hear you on that, I had the same worries & concerns. But bro let me tell you.. peep the attatchment, I got to that after all the worries, concerns & issues Just take it slow & easy till you feel comfortable with progressing intensity. Its okay to be cautious, but don't let it stop you entirely. Hope this helps bro, feel free to PM me anytime.
    Ya I have voiced my concern to like friends im lifting with and one of them brought up a valid point which was along the lines of you know how many professional football players get hernia repairs and are literally back to working out heavy in like a matter of a weeks or a few months... he has a point lol its just different when its you...

dhaddo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body Building after hernia repair

I am 22, had a inguinal hernia repair last year. I want to ask about the the body building program and how to do it and what exercises should I avoid in the Gym.

Thanks
    Haris

bonesaw1981 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Inguinal Hernia - Long Term Expectations

I had double inguinal hernia repair (laproscopic, mesh, about a dozen titanium tacks per side; per the surgeon, "one side was clearly injured and the other was starting to fail", so he just did both sides) in September of 2007.

I gave myself a solid 6 months before getting back into serious training and have since been able to get back into near PR-shape (I'm a rower). I don't notice any pain in my normal day-to-day activities. It took about a year to be pain free while rowing/erging.

The injury was the congenital type, but it only became noticeable back in college after doing stiff leg DLs (315# - I was a lightweight rower at 165). I felt this sharp burn after completing a couple reps with bad form and a overly tight weight belt placed to high.

I've recently started getting back into lifting, albeit much lighter (135#) and with good form being priority. I've noticed mild discomfort for a couple days following dead lifts, squats, cleans. Feels like inflammation around the right inguinal region (the worse side), but nothing is popping out or anything.

For others who have had this surgery, does this sound fairly consistent with your experience? I has been nearly 18 months, so I figure the surgery wasn't botched.

Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool getting myself ready for the surgery

I asked the same thing yesterday but didn't get any response. This will be my third hernia repair. I had a double repaired in 97 but I had stopped training. It took me a long time to regain my confidence. This time I hope to get back into training ASAP. I would still like to enter a seniors powerlifting meet in the fall. Any powerlifters out there that have been through this? Thanks.

bonesaw1981 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re:

Squatfreak, all three hernias are different or is this upcoming surgery for a recurrence?

Regarding your double hernia surgery, does/did it bother you after lifting? How long? Seems like the scar tissue remains an issue indefinitely, but is manageable for most all. For me, deadlifts are out (even light - the doubled over position for RDL just puts too much pressure) and squats are restricted to mainly sumo.

Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Crush505 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Cool

Bonesaw. I really think that this is a new hernia. There is no bulge. I had my suspicions, I kept feeling an odd pressure but not everyday and it didn't seem to get any worse on heavy days. I love to deadlift and squat. I didn't train at all for a couple of years after the double hernia surgery. ( Personal reasons ) After that I really didn't feel any discomfort except that my lifting belt pushed into the scar tissue and I could feel the mesh. It kinda makes you queasy. This time around I was making great progress but I must have some sort of weak genetics in my groin muscles. Man, I've done serious ab work for the past eight years and still got the hernia. I guess the biggest issue is getting your confidence back. One powerlifter I read about says to wear the scars like a badge of honor! I guess that's the attitude I'll take. I still hope I can compete in a seniors powerlifting meet within the next year. I doubt I can total 1275 again but hey just to be a part of it is all I can hope for right now. Thanks. Keep training and keep positive!

rabennett has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

incissional hernias

I was a gym nut two years ago, I noticed a bulge in my stomach. It turned out to be a large abdominal hernia and needed surgery. Since then I have had pain in that side where they placed a patch. I am afriad to start lifting again but I need to, I've gaind 40 lbs and lost most of my muscle. Has anyone else experienced such problems and do you have any adivise on how to start out .

john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000) john876 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have had a inguinal hernia for around 7 months now and I haven't had anything done about it. It only causes discomfort now and again and its never painfull. I still do heavy deadlifts and squats. Is this stupid?

Cool

John876 Dude, the only thing about hernias is that they can't heal themselves. They may never get any worse but they will never get better on their own. I have a friend that has had one for twenty years, but he doesn't lift. Another guy has five hernias and has the mesh that was recalled, he now has to get all of them redone! My doctor told me to have the surgery or quit squatting! Man is he insane! I'll be back squatting soon enough but I'll do what the surgeon says. Go get it checked out then fixed if need be then move on with life! It'll always bug you if you don't. Next to sex deadlifts and squats rule! Look at fear as food--- it builds character, courage and wisdom! Best of luck, you'll be back lifting soon enough!

colinjanderson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

failed harnia repair

Originally Posted by Crush505 View Post
    John876 Dude, the only thing about hernias is that they can't heal themselves. They may never get any worse but they will never get better on their own. I have a friend that has had one for twenty years, but he doesn't lift. Another guy has five hernias and has the mesh that was recalled, he now has to get all of them redone! My doctor told me to have the surgery or quit squatting! Man is he insane! I'll be back squatting soon enough but I'll do what the surgeon says. Go get it checked out then fixed if need be then move on with life! It'll always bug you if you don't. Next to sex deadlifts and squats rule! Look at fear as food--- it builds character, courage and wisdom! Best of luck, you'll be back lifting soon enough!

a word of warning. I have had a mesh repair for 9 years. All in all bearable , although the feeling off pulling and gravel rash at time has been annoying. 3 months ago i lifted something heavy at work with one arm while bending right over and twisting and pop. the cat scan shows a large recurrent inguinal hernia.

So the conclusion i reach is that the mesh is great for just reacting to the hydrostatic pressure induced during lifting. BUt when added with torsion it can and did fail in my case.

back to the operating theatre for me.

adswright has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pain 8 months after inguinal hernia repair

I'm a former Royal Marine Commando living in the UK. I had my right hand side inguinal hernia repaired 8 months ago through open surgery and had the usual mesh put in place. I resumed exercising after a couple of weeks, mainly light weights doing isolated exercises that didn't put pressure on the abdomen. Started running again after about 5 weeks. Have been boxing, lifting, running and working out again to a high level, but about 2 months ago I noticed that the area where I had the hernia repaired feels tender a lot of the time, and feels tight if I sit for a long time. Can occasionally feel pressure on the area when lifting heavy weights and doing ab exercises, but have been able to push myself and am lifting more and running better than before the operation, but still with the discomfort on the operation site. I have also noticed what feels like a strain on my left side, in exactly the same area where the hernia went on my right side.
    Just wondering if anyone else out there has the same pain/discomfort this long after surgery. Not wishing to sound big headed, I work out every day to an high level, with extreme exercises that push the body to it's limits, and wonder if I've done too much too soon. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10) nick.grohall is on a distinguished road. (+10)

hernia

I just had my hernia fixed yesterday. I've had it for a couple of years now. It went from small to rather large because of lifting with it. I'm not sure when i can lift again, but I'll follow doctors orders. I dont want to tear it open again. If you have one, I'd recommend getting it fixed. Especially if it's small. Recovery will be so much easier.

MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100) MrMuscles2012 is not very well liked. (-100)
    WARNING: I joined the gym, started light lifting, never did extreme weights, and yet I developed a Hernia.

If I could do it all again, I would never have started the gym, it's just not worth it

SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000) SamDowdy is just really nice. (+1000)
    I had a inulinguial hernia on the lower right side and had a mesh put in around june and feel pressure in the area and it hurts everytime I workout, I just deal with it best I can, I still do squats, D lifts, boxing and stuff.. Suprisingly the exercises I feel it most on are shoulder raises, V-Bar pressdowns and seated lat rows..

Registered User CharlieGriffin8's Avatar
    CharlieGriffin8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MrMuscles2012 View Post
    WARNING: I joined the gym, started light lifting, never did extreme weights, and yet I developed a Hernia.

If I could do it all again, I would never have started the gym, it's just not worth it
    A hernia is an opening or weakness in the wall of a muscle, tissue, or membrane that normally holds an organ in place, it is not always about lifting weight and pulling something, most of the time it has to do with Genetics, It might take a long time for a hernia to develop or it might develop suddenly. Hernias are caused by a combination of muscle weakness and strain. Strain meaning obesity or sudden weight gain, lifting heavy objects, diarrhea or constipation, persistent coughing or sneezing. Each of these could be the reason for developing a hernia but most likely a combination of these. The fact that you "joined a gym started light lifting, never did extreme weights" most likely is not the reason you developed a hernia. It’s probably a genetically weak wall in your abdomen, teamed up with multiple strenuous occurrences.
    In other words, The gym and exercise is not the reason you developed a hernia, and if you don’t exercise and keep your body healthy, a hernia is going to be the least of your problems.

Registered User CharlieGriffin8's Avatar
    CharlieGriffin8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rabennett View Post
    I was a gym nut two years ago, I noticed a bulge in my stomach. It turned out to be a large abdominal hernia and needed surgery. Since then I have had pain in that side where they placed a patch. I am afriad to start lifting again but I need to, I've gaind 40 lbs and lost most of my muscle. Has anyone else experienced such problems and do you have any adivise on how to start out .
    i had a inguinal hernia repaired a month ago i haven't started lifting yet, but i do want to tell you something about the pain in the side they patched up, gaining 40 pounds will stretch the wall damaged wall of your abdomen. with the strain of working out, this could cause a tear in the repaired wall. i would diet and do cardio to shed the 40 pounds and progressively get back into heavy lifting. don't be afraid to visit the doctor if its bothering you that bad.

texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000) texasaxe is a name known to all. (+5000)

hernia history/concern

born with hernia on left side, causing varicose veins in right sac. never bothered me though. diagnosed with hernia on right side at 18, was butcher throwing heavy boxes around and lifting at the time. told me nothing they could do until it blew. it did at age 20 working construction. 8 inches of intestine hanging out stomach wall into right sac had to be removed, 14 staples and mesh for repair. waited 3 months, started lifting easy, back to full speed shortly after.

no problems until age 30, felt not a pain, but some type of twitch down there where repaired. another guy at the gym said he had the same thing, went to doc, was told the hernia was repaired fine, but the mesh was coming loose from tissue. nothing could be done, but wasn't a concern. i took it easy for a few months, no problem, back to normal.

at 39/40, i had same thing happen, mostly from hip sled and bent over rows. took a couple months off, then moved, came back. now debating whether to continue giving it more time getting in worse physical shape, or just keep going easy, or do like i do with a machine and hit it hard until it breaks then get it fixed right? any other thoughts from anyone that's had this feeling are appreciated. thanks.

PS. happy new year!
    Axe, author of "No Limits - No Regrets"
    record breaker for fastest motorcycle ride across America