Thread: Keto Bulk?

BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000) BeefBro is just really nice. (+1000)

Keto Bulk?

I want to go on a really clean bulk and I'd like some opinions on which is better for a bulk, Keto or just a 40/40/20 protein/fat/carb ratio diet. I'm leaning more towards a keto diet because it will probably keep body fat % lower which is something I want to keep low for wrestling season.

Also, if I'm going to be bulking on CKD is there anything different I should do from cutting aside from extra calories?

CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CanuckTank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by BeefBro View Post
    I want to go on a really clean bulk and I'd like some opinions on which is better for a bulk, Keto or just a 40/40/20 protein/fat/carb ratio diet. I'm leaning more towards a keto diet because it will probably keep body fat % lower which is something I want to keep low for wrestling season.

Also, if I'm going to be bulking on CKD is there anything different I should do from cutting aside from extra calories?
    40/40/20 sounds good to me. Make sure you consume most of the carbs before working out and leave maybe 30g for PWO. This is not keto, but its a clean bulk.
    Like Brutis...you can do dis.

DarthV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

keto bulking

I experimented with keto diets and bulking and have some good tips to share with you. First off The first two or three attempts I tried at keto bulking I failed. Failure had to do more I think with my bodys ability to go into ketosis as opposed to not following the diet. The thrid time I tried keto bulking I stayed in ketosis for 21 weeks before i started following a bodyopus style diet.
    What I found is that my body really adapted to the keto diet and when it did I got killer results . eg I went from 196 at 11 percent bodyfat to 224 at 6.8% bodyfat. I didnt count calories either which was a nice benefit .I did the following:

I drank only water. I stayed away from even diet pops . I found that if I had any artificial sweeteners my pallet just craved them and made it more difficult to diet than just abstaining al together.

Next I ate only meats and cheeses with high fat mayonnaise. I would be very strict on this until wednesday oor thursday then I would add greens to my diet for a few days to get in fiber and calcium /potassium.

I took a multi vitamin. I also found that plain old creatine and l glutamine really helped me to gain muscle

The real beauty about the keto diet for me was once i was in ketosis I felt a euphoric feeling and no cravings like when I would contest diet the traditional way.

I did not initially have the strength like when on carbs but this too I overcame.

I trained a more higher rep high volume training regimen when in ketosis and it was real tough at ties to just get going but once I DID I FOUND I would be ableto go and go and GO !

I also made real lean quality muscle gains as with a keto diet you will not retain much fluids in your muscles like how carbs retain water. So no false water weight gains like when you load with creatine and carbs.

Eating wise I stuck to mostly real foods rarely any protein powders as I found many protein powders on the market are not what they say . I found this out as I would not go into kewtosis until I eliminated the protein powder and then all of a sudden bang ketones would show in my urine.

You will need keto sticks. Once you get further along on the diet then you will be able to do little carb ups on the weekends. I detwermined the length and amount of carbs I would ingest by my goals. If I wanted to continue to lean out as much as possible I would only carb up for the friday night after my friday workout and a few meals on saturday .

A little trick I used to do when going back in to ketosis is to eat real simple sugars the night before. This would shoot up my blood sugars and then crash them making my body low blood sugar. I got my body tuned and able to go into ketosis in less than 24 hours. This is important as the faster you go into ketosis the longer you will reap the benefits. This is why the Body Opus diet failed for me when I first tried it cause I could not get into ketosis rill late wednesday thus Iwould only be in ketosis for a couple of days before carbing up again.

MY TRAINIGN PARTNER could not handle trainign in ketosis. It is very brutal at first to train hard . You will benefit by going with lower weight higher reps and partial reps etc.

Let me know if there is anything you want to know about this I know alot about it from experience.
    Best
    Vader

BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000) BeejGrpA is just really nice. (+1000)
    personally i've gained more muscle and strength on TKD than on any other diet, personally i wouldn't recommend CKD for bulking tho.
    "Just do the diet, lift hard and take pictures of yourself naked. As long as the scale is going down, your lifts are going up and your pix look good, ignore everything else." - Eileen

My pet hate? Half measures.....there's no kill like an overkill!!
    Self Discipline is telling that little voice in your head to shut the f$%k up.

AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000)
    Let me just say that carbs are the weight gainer... I tried doing the AD and I ended up losing weight, and having to eat about every 2 hrs it was hard to hit my macros without carbs. I suggest doing a clean 40/40/20 bulk... As long as you eat pretty clean you should be able to keep that bf pretty low. Doing some LISS cardio after weight training or in the morning should help with that too.
    BTK - Work. Hustle. Kill.

5/3/1 Winter Bulk - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137721563

PB's
    Bench: 240x5
    Squat: 285x3
    Deadlift: 405x2

MoreCowBell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MoreCowBell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AWD_TURBO View Post
    Let me just say that carbs are the weight gainer... I tried doing the AD and I ended up losing weight, and having to eat about every 2 hrs it was hard to hit my macros without carbs. I suggest doing a clean 40/40/20 bulk... As long as you eat pretty clean you should be able to keep that bf pretty low. Doing some LISS cardio after weight training or in the morning should help with that too.
    Yeah, bulking is just as much work mentally as dieting is. But you are so right, coming home and cooking up 1lb of meat is hard to stomach. The last bulk I did I used the AD and kept my calories in check during m-f. Then on the weekends I did a 48 hour carb up and REALLY slammed it home, 7k calories, maybe 8k? at that point I was not counting. Anyway, it was a successful bulk, a little more fat than I wanted, but I always do gain that way. Good Luck, if I was you I would give it a try on Keto and see what happens

AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000) AWD_TURBO is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've went back to the 40/40/20. Ive noticed alot better strength gain, and Im not putting on all that much fat. Im eating very clean this time tho.
    BTK - Work. Hustle. Kill.

5/3/1 Winter Bulk - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137721563

PB's
    Bench: 240x5
    Squat: 285x3
    Deadlift: 405x2

NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NOVA888 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm scaling back my caloric intake, but up until 2 weeks ago I was on a straight Keto bulk (w/no carb-ups), 2800 cals per day (65% fat-30% protein-5% carbs). I've made some good muscle gains, with not too much fat, bloat or water retention issues.

I blogged a bit about it here...

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Demetri...new-different/

I've been told all too often that one simply cannot do a bulk without carbs, but I beg strongly to differ. I also beg to differ in regard to losing strength while on Keto. There's a period of adjustment for sure (as with any diet where drastic alterations in what's being consumed takes place), but I find I have MORE energy on a straight-run Keto diet than anything else.
    “Any idiot can face a crisis, it is this day-to-day living that wears you out.” Anton Chekhov

"10% of life, is what happens to you--90% is how you respond to it."

"I know that I know nothing"--Socrates