halfJewbear is on a distinguished road. (+10)

can I still build muscle with moderately heavy weights?

okay so, I'm 6'3 189 pounds. I'm trying to gain weight and muscle mass at the moment. I' don't exactly have access to a gym but I have weights in my basement. 45s, 30s, 20s and 25 pound plates. I've been reading a lot lately on how I need to lift in order to gain mass, and a good amount of the articles e.t.c i'm reading are saying that people with my height need to lift more heavy. Since I don't have really heavy weights except for the 45s for compound movements, can I just workout in a way that still causes strain on my muscles so that they get bigger and how do I do It? honestly just need some advice on this.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Studies have shown similar (not identical, but similar) increases in hypertrophy with anywhere from 40% to 85% of your 1RM.

So, yes, you can absolutely grow without hitting really heavy lifts.

Do you have a barbell for those plates? I'd really recommend getting a bar and/or some sort of rack. Places like Play It Again Sports sometimes have a really solid selection of lifting equipment for great prices
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

halfJewbear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bLinkMoore View Post
    Studies have shown similar (not identical, but similar) increases in hypertrophy with anywhere from 40% to 85% of your 1RM.

So, yes, you can absolutely grow without hitting really heavy lifts.

Do you have a barbell for those plates? I'd really recommend getting a bar and/or some sort of rack. Places like Play It Again Sports sometimes have a really solid selection of lifting equipment for great prices
    yea I got a bar but, I dont usually use it to bench because it's just way too light ( with the 2 25s and the bar it's only like 80 pounds ) Usually use it for shoulder press and curls.