Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Jeff Allen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bad experience with GABA

I have read many posts here about the benefits of GABA as a sleep aid and maybe even a GH booster. So I decided to try it.

It has been suggested that the effective doseage is 4-6gms taken about 15 minutes before bed on an empty stomach. So the first night I tried 2gms (to be "safe"). I didn't really notice much but recall waking up in the middle of the night with a tight feeling in my chest. I worked out that day and convinced myself it was just muscles and went back to sleep.

The next night I upped the dose to 2.5gms and slept pretty good. But I felt groggy most of the morning afterwords and kind of "off".

The third night, last night, I tried 3gms. Again 15 minutes before bed on an empty stomach as recommended. About 10 minutes after laying down I started getting a very uneasy feeling and shortness of breath. It was like I had just climbed several flights of stairs while trying to breath at a sedentary rate. I also, again, felt a tightness in my chest that was very disturbing. This was a very uneasy and disturbing feeling - definitely NOT relaxing.

GABA did NOT help me sleep or relax me - it instead caused somewhat of a panic and I was awake for several hours wondering when the awful feeling would go away. I finally did fall asleep but feel "off" again this morning like I'm short of breath (high altitude).

Based on my experience with GABA I would NOT recommend this product to anyone unless you enjoy the sensations associated with angina. I see NO use for this substance in bodybuilding whatsoever.

I'm throwing mine in the trash.

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz

Re: Bad experience with GABA

Originally posted by Jeff Allen
    I have read many posts here about the benefits of GABA as a sleep aid and maybe even a GH booster. So I decided to try it.

It has been suggested that the effective doseage is 4-6gms taken about 15 minutes before bed on an empty stomach. So the first night I tried 2gms (to be "safe"). I didn't really notice much but recall waking up in the middle of the night with a tight feeling in my chest. I worked out that day and convinced myself it was just muscles and went back to sleep.

The next night I upped the dose to 2.5gms and slept pretty good. But I felt groggy most of the morning afterwords and kind of "off".

The third night, last night, I tried 3gms. Again 15 minutes before bed on an empty stomach as recommended. About 10 minutes after laying down I started getting a very uneasy feeling and shortness of breath. It was like I had just climbed several flights of stairs while trying to breath at a sedentary rate. I also, again, felt a tightness in my chest that was very disturbing. This was a very uneasy and disturbing feeling - definitely NOT relaxing.

GABA did NOT help me sleep or relax me - it instead caused somewhat of a panic and I was awake for several hours wondering when the awful feeling would go away. I finally did fall asleep but feel "off" again this morning like I'm short of breath (high altitude).

Based on my experience with GABA I would NOT recommend this product to anyone unless you enjoy the sensations associated with angina. I see NO use for this substance in bodybuilding whatsoever.

Did you reaf in F***ing bottle? It says it may cause tingling or shortness of breath. Maybe you should actually read about stuff before you use it!

zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zen69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    LOL

dam poor guy cant even get a little mercy!!!!

Hes right though, think about it, you read the dosage and how to take it, but stopped short of the vital info.

At least you didnt die

Peace

pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000)
    GABA sucks. Using dosages higher than a gram seems like a waste, when 3mg of melatonin does the job much better.

Re: Re: Bad experience with GABA

Originally posted by Beast
    Did you reaf in F***ing bottle? It says it may cause tingling or shortness of breath. Maybe you should actually read about stuff before you use it!

Dear A** hole, yes I did read the bottle and it says NOTHING about side effects. Not all brands have the same label as yours.

I researched this stuff for several days before I bought it and it appeared safe. I also consulted others who have used the substance with NO side effects. But what I felt last night was frightening and could have been diagnosed by a MEDICAL expert as a potential heart attack.

Unless you have something constructive to offer, shut your face.

Spnkthru_AST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it is safe! everything you experienced is COMPLETLY NORMAL - some people have those effects, some don't, some have them only to watch them dissappear as they continue to use it.

I find it hard to believe that you researched it and found nothing saying that this could happen....

and believe me no medical expert would diagnose you with a heart attack - you can hyper ventilate and feel like you're on the brink of death and having a heart attack only to have a doctor tell you you're completly fine.

I also find it funny that as you continued to have 'bad' experiences with gaba you continued to up your dosage!

dc27 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tried it at for awhile. I used 5g a night. I bought GABA from AST and on the bottle it says you may experience a shortness of breath and/or a tingling sensation, and never spank your monkey after taking GABA it will give you a heart attack. I only had the shortness of breath a couple times. It lasted for about 10sec. I do have to say that the smell is horrible.

Originally posted by Spnkthru_AST
    it is safe! everything you experienced is COMPLETLY NORMAL - some people have those effects, some don't, some have them only to watch them dissappear as they continue to use it.

I find it hard to believe that you researched it and found nothing saying that this could happen....

and believe me no medical expert would diagnose you with a heart attack - you can hyper ventilate and feel like you're on the brink of death and having a heart attack only to have a doctor tell you you're completly fine.

I also find it funny that as you continued to have 'bad' experiences with gaba you continued to up your dosage!

Thank you and yes you have some good points. I upped the dosage because I wasn't sure (initially) that the GABA was the cause and I was still only at 1/2 of the recommended amount.

Yes, I did see the "shortness" of breath in the research but I did not realize how profound it would be or long it would last. It did not go away in a few minutes - it kept me awake for a couple of hours and at times was quite acute. I still felt it 10 hours later while getting ready for work the next morning. I also find nothing in the documentation about tightness in the chest although I did read a post where someone else mentioned it.

I have read more medical studies this morning and still find that this stuff is apparently safe.

Maybe I will try it again starting at a much lower dosage (1gm). Perhaps my body just has a poor tolerance for it at 40 y/o. My only question would be if it's doing any good (HGH wise) at that low a dose.

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Originally posted by Spnkthru_AST

Bump

I said what I said because you said:
    "Based on my experience with GABA I would NOT recommend this product to anyone unless you enjoy the sensations associated with angina. I see NO use for this substance in bodybuilding whatsoever."

You totally dissed the product due to an effect that is well known.

Maybe you are just very sensitive. The tone you used made you sound like a kid who just grabbed a bottle, hoping for some magical effect.

exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thank you and yes you have some good points. I upped the dosage because I wasn't sure (initially) that the GABA was the cause and I was still only at 1/2 of the recommended amount.

Yes, I did see the "shortness" of breath in the research but I did not realize how profound it would be or long it would last. It did not go away in a few minutes - it kept me awake for a couple of hours and at times was quite acute. I still felt it 10 hours later while getting ready for work the next morning. I also find nothing in the documentation about tightness in the chest although I did read a post where someone else mentioned it.

I have read more medical studies this morning and still find that this stuff is apparently safe.

Maybe I will try it again starting at a much lower dosage (1gm). Perhaps my body just has a poor tolerance for it at 40 y/o. My only question would be if it's doing any good (HGH wise) at that low a dose.
    you can up you HGH level whatever you want it will do sh*t as long as you don't up the IGF-1 level too.

That's the reason why pro BBers stack HGH with insulin.

HGH alone is useless.

So even if GABA up HGH to 500 % is normal level it will go no difference.

GABA is a good sleep drug but for that you'll have to take 3-4 g.
    Capitalism, love, dollar & japan passion

yopo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    too bad GHB was taken off the market and sworn up and down as a date rape drug (mostly media hype); it was the safest and most effective way to stim GABA release with NO side effects, never once got short of breath but you'd be a damn fool to take any alcohol with it, because of the interaction causing respiratory distress

Originally posted by Beast
    Bump

I said what I said because you said:
    "Based on my experience with GABA I would NOT recommend this product to anyone unless you enjoy the sensations associated with angina. I see NO use for this substance in bodybuilding whatsoever."

You totally dissed the product due to an effect that is well known.

Maybe you are just very sensitive. The tone you used made you sound like a kid who just grabbed a bottle, hoping for some magical effect.

Agree. I should have worded my post more as a question rather than statement and taken a breath before I hit the SEND button. I tend to get defensive when someone implies that I'm a fool.

The side effects of GABA (for me) were more pronounced and startling than I expected. I have used all kinds of supplements over the years (including Ephedra) and have never experienced anything like this. In addition, the research papers I read (pubMed) didn't mention anything about tightness in the chest. I'm STILL not sure that's a good thing or why GABA would cause it. Perhaps it is totally unrelated and I have a problem that needs to be checked out. Will do so if it re-appears.

At 40 y/o I would expect good HGH benefits if GABA really works. I know one BB who uses it who said it helped him get down to 6% BF in short order. That would be nice!

What do you recommend at this point? Have you used it? How much? How often?

pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000) pogue is just really nice. (+1000)
    There is no reason to be taking Gaba unless you have trouble sleeping, in which case there are better products. Gaba does not cross the blood brain barrier so it cannot release GH or cause any of the effects that Gaba will in your brain. Its really just a weak sleep aid with more risks than benefits.

Agree. I should have worded my post more as a question rather than statement and taken a breath before I hit the SEND button. I tend to get defensive when someone implies that I'm a fool.
    Same here. It's easy to just type something off the top of your head and hit send.

I use AST's GABA and love it. Even if all it did was help me sleep, I'd still use it. For a while, I could not fall asleep. I would lay in bed for hours. When I did fall asleep, I would wake on during the night. Once I started taking GABA, I fall asleep quickly and stay asleep. So, like I said, easy if this is all it does (I'm pretty sure it does more), it's worth it.

Spnkthru_AST has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I second what you said Beast - I'd just take it for the sleep factor... damn does it help and i really do wake up feeling refreshed. I take AST's Gaba as well.....great stuff

exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000)

At 40 y/o I would expect good HGH benefits if GABA really works. I know one BB who uses it who said it helped him get down to 6% BF in short order. That would be nice!

Do you actually read others post, stimulating a release of HGH is useless if you don't stimulate a release of IGF-1 (insulin growth factor) too.

PS : and that BB is a liar

Originally posted by exhortae
    Do you actually read others post, stimulating a release of HGH is useless if you don't stimulate a release of IGF-1 (insulin growth factor) too.

PS : and that BB is a liar

1) Yes, I have read lots and lots of posts. They can tell you that something is working but, because they are taking every supp known to man, they don't know which one is doing it or why.

The MEDICAL journals I have read on the HGH stimulating effects of GABA mentioned nothing about IGF-1 as being a requirement to make it work. The GABA was administered on an empty stomach. How do you release IGF-1 on an empty stomach? I don't understand what you're saying, can you explain it better?

2) I don't think the BB is a liar. I know him personally and he is LEAN. Could be he's using something else as well but I don't think so.

Anyhow, if all I get out of GABA is a good night's sleep, great. That alone will do a lot of good since for me it is very rare.

1) Yes, I have read lots and lots of posts. They can tell you that something is working but, because they are taking every supp known to man, they don't know which one is doing it or why.

The MEDICAL journals I have read on the HGH stimulating effects of GABA mentioned nothing about IGF-1 as being a requirement to make it work. The GABA was administered on an empty stomach. How do you release IGF-1 on an empty stomach? I don't understand what you're saying, can you explain it better?

2) I don't think the BB is a liar. I know him personally and he is LEAN. Could be he's using something else as well but I don't think so.

Anyhow, if all I get out of GABA is a good night's sleep, great. That alone will do a lot of good since for me it is very rare.
    The insulin like growth factors( IGF-1) are ****tomedins, ie growth factors synthesised in the liver in response to growth hormone. They mediate most of the growth-promoting effects of growth hormone. IGF-1 is vital in instructing cells to produce protein and repair themselves, there is a positive retroaction between the two, meaning HGH release IGF-1 and IGF-1 release HGH.

It's a very hard subject (not well known) but what you have to understand is you have to inject HGH with insulin and IGF-1 to see results from a peak of HGH, and I'm not talking about the fake stuff BBing retailers sells, I'm talking about the drug that you can find only on prescription or in the black market.

but you can still use GABA as a sleeping pill

Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I tried GABA and it had no effect on me whatsoever, negative or positive. It didn't help me sleep or cause shortness of breath or anything. IMO GABA is a waste of money and I seriously doubt that it raises GH levels.

Originally posted by exhortae
    The insulin like growth factors( IGF-1) are ****tomedins, ie growth factors synthesised in the liver in response to growth hormone. ...there is a positive retroaction between the two, meaning HGH release IGF-1 and IGF-1 release HGH.

So isn't that saying that raising one will raise the other? If GABA raises the HGH doesn't the corresponding rise in IGF-1 occur?

GABA has been clinically measured to raise HGH, that part we know.

So isn't that saying that raising one will raise the other? If GABA raises the HGH doesn't the corresponding rise in IGF-1 occur?

GABA has been clinically measured to raise HGH, that part we know.
    it's a bit more complicated than that, and I don't have enough scientific knowledge to explain you why.

But believe me raising HGH levels will do nothing.

HARD WORK = GREAT RESULTS buff beecho's Avatar
    buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) buff beecho has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

same dam stuff to

i took gaba last night and had shortness of breath and got this werid kinda like a hot flash on the back of my neck it felt like the prickly feeling when your leg or arm falls asleep, didnt fall asleep for like 3 hours thought something was gonna go wrong, prob wasnt use to the feeling and started putting things in my head which made me think of all these things, but w/e im going to stay with my zma put do more good anyway
    I THANK GOD FOR GIVING ME ME GREAT GENTICS

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Re: Bad experience with GABA

It was working. Just relax and the feeling will pass and you will sleep like a baby. You get used to it after a while.

devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) devilzfan300 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hgh And Igf-1

someone said hgh is useless without igf-1. Just to inform you, hgh travels to the liver, where is it converted to igf-1.

BOTTOM LINE: IF YOU RAISE HGH LEVELS, YOU RAISE IGF-1 LEVELS.

Originally Posted by devilzfan300
    someone said hgh is useless without igf-1. Just to inform you, hgh travels to the liver, where is it converted to igf-1.

BOTTOM LINE: IF YOU RAISE HGH LEVELS, YOU RAISE IGF-1 LEVELS.
    For about 15 minutes maybe.

wolfix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took 5grams of Gaba with some water... after 10min I felt the strange tingling and hot flashes... thought I was gonna puke for a second. I lied down because I felt so bad then fell a sleep for about 2 hours.

I'm going to try just 1g.

wolfix.

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So does it actually help you sleep if you have problems falling asleep or what. I love to lift at 6:00am, but I go to bed at 9:00pm and lay in bed til midnight and that sux since I get up at 4:45. I need something safe, efficient, can be taken regularly and has no bad sides.

wolfix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey gymratluke,

Try any or all of the following to help you sleep:
    1. No caffine all day or non past 3pm.
    2. Meditate on a good calming read of a novel or the Bible.
    3. DHEA - just a little since you're 22yrs.
    4. Pray. Tends to be very relazing to me.
    5. Gaba could work for you.
    6. Also if you're sensitive to Aspartame like me you may find that reducing the amount you consume or eliminating it from your diet may help you sleep a lot better.

Good luck,

wolfix
    Last edited by wolfix; 07-24-2005 at 08:12 PM.

gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gymratluke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wolfix
    Hey gymratluke,

Try any or all of the following to help you sleep:
    1. No caffine all day or non past 3pm.
    2. Meditate on a good calming read of a novel or the Bible.
    3. DHEA - just a little since you're 22yrs.
    4. Pray. Tends to be very relazing to me.
    5. Gaba could work for you.
    6. Also if you're sensitive to Aspartame like me you may find that reducing the amount you consume or eliminating it from your diet may help you sleep a lot better.

Good luck,

wolfix
    Thanks Bro, I give all this a try. If anyone else has info it would be much appreciated...

suek1000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

interested in your experience with gaba

Originally Posted by Jeff Allen View Post

The third night, last night, I tried 3gms. Again 15 minutes before bed on an empty stomach as recommended. About 10 minutes after laying down I started getting a very uneasy feeling and shortness of breath. It was like I had just climbed several flights of stairs while trying to breath at a sedentary rate. I also, again, felt a tightness in my chest that was very disturbing. This was a very uneasy and disturbing feeling - definitely NOT relaxing

Hi, The recommended dosage of gaba for sleeping is 500 - 1000 mg. If you take higher amounts, you can actually experience symptoms of anxiousness. I'm curious if your heart rate stayed normal during the times when you had a feeling of chest tightness and shortness of breath. I get this feeling and my heart rate stays normal.