three legs at a time. TheBlasterMan's Avatar
    TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Increase Testosterone, DHEA, IGF-1 With Milk

Increase Testosterone, DHEA, IGF-1 With Milk

I came apon an interesting article supporting my thesis. Its based around the cause of acne, but it has the facts....

On a personal level, I drink tons of milk (ranging around a gallon a day), and have bad facial, chest and back acne.

Please do a little research and time in.

"We've heard it over and over again: diet has nothing to do with acne. However, there are a handful of doctors who believe that what we eat may indeed affect our skin. And they're not pointing fingers at chocolate and potato chips, but instead at milk. That's right -- the wholesome drink that we've always considered healthy is at the center of an acne controversy.

Researchers claim to have found a correlation between milk intake and the incidence of acne. It seems milk drinkers develop more severe acne than non-milk drinkers. One study, published in the May 2008 issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, looked at the diets of teenaged boys. The young men who drank the most milk also tended to have the worst acne.

This supports the results of previous studies, during which teenage girls were asked to keep food diaries and monitor breakout activity. Again, girls whose diets were rich in dairy products had more severe acne than the rest.

Of all dairy products, milk was the worst offender. Chocolate milk, cottage cheese, and sherbet also had a negative effect on the skin. But other dairy products didn't seem to cause breakouts.

Interestingly, skim milk induced breakouts more often than whole milk, so it seems fat content in milk isn't the culprit. And those who took vitamin D supplements didn't have more breakouts, so vitamin D isn't thought to be the cause either.

Fatty foods also didn't trigger breakouts. And the foods that many people associate with causing acne -- chocolate, pizza, soda, and French fries -- didn't seem to increase breakout activity at all.

Why would certain dairy products contribute to acne? Some think it's the hormones found in milk. Milk contains androgen hormones, which have long been associated with the formation of acne breakouts.

Testosterone is an androgen hormone, and it is strongly linked to acne development. It's most often thought of as a male hormone, but women produce testosterone too, although in lesser amounts.

Testosterone, through a complicated chain reaction, creates di-hydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT stimulates the sebaceous glands, creating an oilier skin that is more prone to pore blockages and, ultimately, pimples. Milk naturally is filled with hormones, including DHT. It's possible that milk contains enough hormones to have an effect on the body, including the skin. People who are genetically predisposed to acne breakouts may have a stronger reaction to the hormones in milk, according to some researchers.

Many dairy farmers also give their cows additional hormones to stimulate milk production and enable the cow to produce more milk. As a result, most milk is very high in IGF-1. IGF-1 is a growth factor that peaks in the human body during adolescence, when acne is usually at it's worst. It is believed that IGF-1, along with testosterone and DHT, trigger acne breakouts.

In two previous studies, high milk consumption was linked to high IGF-1 levels. Again, skim milk was associated with higher IGF-1 levels than whole milk.

The processing of skim milk may explain why it is linked to acne severity more often than whole milk. Whey proteins are added to give skim milk a creamier consistency. Some speculate that these proteins impact acne development.

Of course, not everyone who drinks a lot of milk breaks out in pimples, and many disagree with these findings. The Dairy Council counters that the results are skewed, citing the fact that in one study, adult women were asked about their dairy intake during the years after they left high school.

And many medical professionals are wary of the conclusions being drawn, because they don't take into account other factors that may influence acne severity. They're also quick to point out that the studies don't link milk to acne development -- they only establish a correlation between milk consumption and acne severity.

The biggest problem for researchers is proving their controversial theory. There is no way to do a double-blind, randomized controlled trial (considered the gold standard in research), because there is nothing that can be used as an adequate placebo for milk.

But some doctors are taking a new view of how diet affects the skin, and this no-dairy philosophy has its believers. Some dermatologists say they have had some success in having their patients cut milk and dairy from their diets.

There is still no hard evidence proving milk consumption causes, or worsens, acne. Much more research is needed before this theory can be proven. However, decreasing milk intake may be helpful, especially for those whose acne isn't responding well to more conventional treatments.

In the meantime, you can stick to the advice that doctors have given for years: avoid any foods that seem to worsen your breakouts whether that be pizza, chocolate, oranges, or dairy products. "

http://acne.about.com/od/acnetriggers/a/milkandacne.htm

TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheBlasterMan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    BUMP!!!!

someones gota have some kind of input!

bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Dairy is a trigger for many. Although having milk after you lift will help build muscle, if you are getting acne it is not worth it really. I would drop the milk and try protein shakes mixed in water. I stay clear with whey shakes mixed in water and rarely have milk. I know of other people who say whey breaks them out, though. I do fine with it though. Everyone is different when it comes to acne.

thanks for the input

but yea i cant stand protien shakes and water, i gota have my milk.

but on a side note, would the increase of hormones be benificial to us bodybuilders?

icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000) icery is just really nice. (+1000)
    i'll be honest i just skimmed the article in 3 seconds, and i'll write this quick

diet is 100% the cause of my acne, dandruff, sebehorric dermatitis, reddish complexion, and even gray hair.. high carb specifically. when trying to bulk i was in the dermatologists office each week getting cortisone injections b/c of the cysts i had. when i diet with less than 200g carbs a day it diminshes, my hair turns back to its normal color and i can actually get a tan.. it may not be the milk itself but high insulin levels all the time. milk is very insulinogenic

edit: for what its worth right now i'm on quite a bit of testosterone myself with something else.. carb intake controlled and no acne
    Last edited by icery; 10-14-2008 at 05:22 PM.

bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bp16 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TheBlasterMan View Post
    thanks for the input

but yea i cant stand protien shakes and water, i gota have my milk.

but on a side note, would the increase of hormones be benificial to us bodybuilders?
    I would assume the hormones would be good for bodybuilding, but they are not good for acne. You do not want high IGF-1. What protein are you taking? I remember when I took nitrotech hardcore, that tasted like absolute **** in water... honestly it didnt taste great in much of anything, but when I mixed it with milk and cinnamon it was pretty good, and I stayed clear like that. Right now I am giving GNCs wheybolic a shot, and it tastes good enough to me in water (vanilla flavor).

hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i would only say correlation is not causation. could be a million reasons why acne kids also tend to drink milk.

me for one, even at 25, still get some acne. however, it is always WAY worse when i have big shifts in the intensity of my training. i was abroad this summer and the training suffered, came back with a passion to my local gym (great place) and broke out like a 16 years old again. mostly gone now.

lots of gym rat kids drink milk. just an example.

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by hooked4life View Post
    i would only say correlation is not causation. could be a million reasons why acne kids also tend to drink milk.

me for one, even at 25, still get some acne. however, it is always WAY worse when i have big shifts in the intensity of my training. i was abroad this summer and the training suffered, came back with a passion to my local gym (great place) and broke out like a 16 years old again. mostly gone now.

lots of gym rat kids drink milk. just an example.
    I'm the same age and still get mad acne as well. /sigh

icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10) icebreakeribs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I read that it's the iodine in milk which causes acne. If you make sure you are taking a multi without iodine and reduce milk consumption, you should notice a dramatic decrease in breakouts. I have done both and I'm having great results acne-wise. I still get significant sources of iodine from other dairy products like cottage cheese, whole eggs, and egg whites. I'm sure I'm getting enough, but I'm not overdoing it. If you are not willing to give up milk or other products with iodine, organic apple cider vinegar helps as well.