Corradovr6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Feedback on switching from split to full body training

Alright so im not really a newcomer to bodybuilding but definately dont consider myself a professional either. I have been training for 1 and a half year but just at home with a bench, barbell and dumbells and not really in a structured way. Usually 2 times a week, sometimes 3, sometimes 1, sometimes not for 3-4 weeks. Needless to say i want to change this.

Back then i got a split muscle group training which i pretty much followed the whole time, its like this:

------------Monday-------------

Chest (all exercises 4 sets of 8-12 reps):
    *Bench press
    *Butterfly
    *Barbell pullover

Shoulder (4*8-12)
    *Behind neck barbell press
    *Cuban dumbell
    *Side lateral raise

Back
    *Hyperextensions (4*25-30)
    *Lower back machine (4*15)

And abs

-----------Wednesday-----------

Biceps (4*8-12)
    *Barbell curl
    *Hammer curl
    *Concentration curl

Traps (4*10-15)
    *Barbell shrug
    *Dumbell shrug

And abs

-------------Friday-----------------

Triceps
    *Close grib bench press (4*10)
    *Skull crushers (4*
    *Bench dips (3*25)

Front arms
    *Reverse curl (4*10)
    *Wrist curl (4*25)

And abs, and often some back exercises (hyperextensions)

Tuesday i often run for 4-6 miles outside. Wednesday,saturday, sunday are my days of but could be available for training.

Now like i sayed i did get good gains with this program but i feel kinda stuck right now and something is saying me that this program isnt effective enough. Sometimes i feel like i didnt train a muscle group enough and then i throw in a fourth exercise for a musclegroup. But i do think 4 exercises per muscle group is abit much.

It also feels like 7 days between working the chest is too much. I recently joined a gym and now a whole world with new possibilities is opening to me because of all the available equipment. Which poses another problem because i want to try out all the different machines and exercises but i guess its better to do the same exercises for some weeks and then change?

The thing which i am considering most is switching to a full body workout 3 times a week, like the 5x5 program or the rippetoe. But they are beginner programs, i wished i followed a program like that when i started instead of the split groups but heh...cant change history eh. Will it still be effective for me to switch to a program like those? Or maybe i could start out with rippetoe and after a few weeks expand it with some exercises like mentioned in the rippetoe thread. I think i am lacking the exercises like deadlifts and squads.

You would also notice that i often do 4 sets with pretty high reps, whereas i read here alot about 3 sets of 5. Is this better for gaining mass? And another thing is that i add weight between sets, the first set is low weight, the last set is heavy. I sometimes doubt if this is the right way.

So what do you think, could it be worth giving the 5x5 program or the rippetoe a shot for some months, if my goal is to gain mass or can anyone provide me with an alternative program?

I did read alot on this forum before posting but i am still doubting between split group or full body.

About me:
    Age 25
    Lenght 1.95
    Wight 220 pounds
    Eat alot=]

Fav exercises:
    *Seated row
    *Hyperextension
    *Skull crushers
    *Lat pulldown
    *Butterfly
    *Side lateral

Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anotherfling will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I didn't see any leg work mentioned other than running, if that is the case, Starting Strength or 5x5 is going to be a must for you to get your legs in shape with squats, and get you introduced to the wonderful world of deadlifts and rows or cleans.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. -Mike Tyson