Once more into the fray.. IrishPilot's Avatar
    IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Endomorphs: Proper Macro Breakdown For Bulking?

Ive been following the Lean Mass Diet courtesy of the guys over at Scivation and as of late Im getting the feeling that my carb intake is a little too high. Does anyone have a good suggestion for what they have found as a macro breakdown for bulking to minimize fat gain?
    Team Never Full
    Craft Beer Crew

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IrishPilot View Post
    Ive been following the Lean Mass Diet courtesy of the guys over at Scivation and as of late Im getting the feeling that my carb intake is a little too high. Does anyone have a good suggestion for what they have found as a macro breakdown for bulking to minimize fat gain?
    It's not the macros......just don't eat too much. Try eating at 300-500 calories over you maintenance depending on your training intensity and adjust from there.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IrishPilot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    It's not the macros......just don't eat too much. Try eating at 300-500 calories over you maintenance depending on your training intensity and adjust from there.
    Right...and Im currently at 500 over based on what Ive tracked.

I am also however trying to follow my macros to follow my protein, healthy fat, and carb intake...and Im trying to find out what proper carb intake would be for someone trying to bulk cleanly.
    Team Never Full
    Craft Beer Crew

Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mxer_129 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1g/lb protein...good amount of fats...fill the rest with carbs.

it really makes no difference if you meet your needed amount of protein/fats.

longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    play around with your carb amount till you find what works best for you. nobody ere can tell you what is best for you.
    support the troops.

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Right...and Im currently at 500 over based on what Ive tracked.

I am also however trying to follow my macros to follow my protein, healthy fat, and carb intake...and Im trying to find out what proper carb intake would be for someone trying to bulk cleanly.
    Can you read? - - the macros don't matter -- as long as your diet isn't extreme carbs or extreme fats with little to no protein, you'll be fine.

Eat 500 above with whole balanced meals.....did you turn 28 and forget how to eat?
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Can you read? - - the macros don't matter -- as long as your diet isn't extreme carbs or extreme fats with little to no protein, you'll be fine.

Eat 500 above with whole balanced meals.....did you turn 28 and forget how to eat?
    this is debatable brother; although I agree with you...alot of people think that macro ratio's do matter (layne,sporto for example). I've tried eating a diet at 70% carbs and at probably 10% carbs and looked the same as long as my energy balance was constant;only difference was I held more water when eating carbs that high and wasn't as full of course on low carbs. Not a big difference though.

Any particular reason you feel the need to throw attitude about this? I heard you, and I get it. Im looking for some reference here, whether that aligns with your opinions or not. Can you read? The thread is not about whether macros are important or not, its about aligning macros for an endo. If you cant help and be constructive take it somewhere else.

Team Never Full
    Craft Beer Crew

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Any particular reason you feel the need to throw attitude about this? I heard you, and I get it. Im looking for some reference here, whether that aligns with your opinions or not. Can you read? The thread is not about whether macros are important or not, its about aligning macros for an endo. If you cant help and be constructive take it somewhere else.
    As MarkVI said, if you calories are on point go ahead and eat as many carbs as you like. It won't make any difference.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

Yeah maybe Im being overly conscious. I just got the impression via the "bulking for endomorphs" read that a higher amount of carbs can be counterproductive for endos. I have yet to get a response from the scivation guys though in regards to specifics. Ill just have to expirment over the next few weeks and see what happens. I was hoping someone else might have insight after learning the hard way (or the opposite, etc.)

Who knows.

Originally Posted by imccarthy View Post
    As MarkVI said, if you calories are on point go ahead and eat as many carbs as you like. It won't make any difference.
    Team Never Full
    Craft Beer Crew

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)

Smile

Yeah maybe Im being overly conscious. I just got the impression via the "bulking for endomorphs" read that a higher amount of carbs can be counterproductive for endos. I have yet to get a response from the scivation guys though in regards to specifics. Ill just have to expirment over the next few weeks and see what happens. I was hoping someone else might have insight after learning the hard way (or the opposite, etc.)

Who knows.
    I hate to knock Scivation but they really overcomplicate things. Just eat adequate protein and fat and eat as many carbs as you like as long as your calorie intake is too far above maintenance.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000) RU4A69 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Carb cycle.

Ex:

20-70gms ish (on off days). Around 70-120 on upper body days. 120-200 on leg day. Don't force down food (that's for ectos), your naturally immense endo appetite will take care of food quantity by itself. The least aggresive approach is the right approach. If you stay lean on your bulk, you get to keep nigh 100% of your gains.

Good luck.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    ******** TRAP BAR BOARD REP*******
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

---*No Hymen No Diamond Crew*---

Originally Posted by lth View Post
    this is debatable brother; although I agree with you...alot of people think that macro ratio's do matter (layne,sporto for example). I've tried eating a diet at 70% carbs and at probably 10% carbs and looked the same as long as my energy balance was constant;only difference was I held more water when eating carbs that high and wasn't as full of course on low carbs. Not a big difference though.
    Yeah, but 70 and 10 are kind of on the extreme ends....I'm assuming that someone is going to have a more moderate diet between 20-60% Carbs....

I really think a lot of it has to do with what you feel like energy wise eating certain foods. I feel lethargic on a lot of carbs, so I eat a lot of fat instead, that way my energy is up and my intensity and focus is up in the gym. Though I know if I were to be able to match energy consumption/expenditure with a high carb diet, results would be the same.

Good point on the water issue -- that brings up a bunch of different issues, because if I'm holding more water, all my lifts are noticeably up.

Yeah the reason is I answered your question and then you re-asked it....
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Originally Posted by imccarthy View Post
    I hate to knock Scivation but they really overcomplicate things...
    They do love specifics lol. I dont interpret it as gospel, but they seem to have worked with enough people and obviously achieved on their own. You know how the forum thing works, we are all learning off the backs of others. Im here to figure out what worked and didnt work for others so I dont have to make the same mistakes.

Originally Posted by RU4A69 View Post
    20-70gms ish (on off days). Around 70-120 on upper body days. 120-200 on leg day. Don't force down food (that's for ectos), your naturally immense endo appetite will take care of food quantity by itself....
    Sounds logical. Yeah I have no problem with appetite. Im always baffled by guys who start the "How do you eat so many calories?!" threads. Hell, Im convinced I could eat my bodyweight in peanut butter alone lol.

Yeah the reason is I answered your question and then you re-asked it....
    You didnt answer my question. You added your opinion. I can respect that, and value the opinion, but when I continued to ask for a more specific answer to my question you seemed to take offense. I realize specifics arent always necessary, but Im looking for a reference point so I can loosely track my intake.. I wanted to know if there was an average breakdown that was beneficial for endos (for example, I need to steer from sugars, as that seems to increase fat storage for me.)

Thanks all.
    Team Never Full
    Craft Beer Crew

I wanted to know if there was an average breakdown that was beneficial for endos (for example, I need to steer from sugars, as that seems to increase fat storage for me.)

Thanks all.
    And the answer is no....are you expecting us to spoonfeed you all the research too? Sugar itself does not cause fat storage for you any more than fat or protein...and if you think it does you're attributing it to other circumstances.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quinn77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You didnt answer my question. You added your opinion. I can respect that, and value the opinion, but when I continued to ask for a more specific answer to my question you seemed to take offense. I realize specifics arent always necessary, but Im looking for a reference point so I can loosely track my intake.. I wanted to know if there was an average breakdown that was beneficial for endos (for example, I need to steer from sugars, as that seems to increase fat storage for me.)

Thanks all.
    He did answer your question, just not the way you wanted to hear. The funny thing is that everyone else is in a general consensus that he was right. Why do you think you are an endo? Honestly I don't think it matters what your breakdown is, it's all about eating the right amount of calories and proper exercise.

Good luck

And the answer is no....are you expecting us to spoonfeed you all the research too?...
    Like I said, just looking for reference.
    Team Never Full
    Craft Beer Crew

Like I said, just looking for reference.
    Well check out the link in my signature to Alan Aragon's Research Review. That would be a fantastic place to start.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yeah, but 70 and 10 are kind of on the extreme ends....I'm assuming that someone is going to have a more moderate diet between 20-60% Carbs....

I really think a lot of it has to do with what you feel like energy wise eating certain foods. I feel lethargic on a lot of carbs, so I eat a lot of fat instead, that way my energy is up and my intensity and focus is up in the gym. Though I know if I were to be able to match energy consumption/expenditure with a high carb diet, results would be the same.

Good point on the water issue -- that brings up a bunch of different issues, because if I'm holding more water, all my lifts are noticeably up.
    Word. Yeah, 70 and 10 are on the extreme side but i did this just to prove that its calories. I believe they do indeed all play their roles as macronutrients but that i believe is more suited to how we 'feel' not look. Im the exact opposite of you, i feel alot better on a plentiful amount of carbs...seems more and more people are switching to fat as their main fuel source though...thats why i like the carbs vs. fat topic so well.

Originally Posted by lth View Post
    Word. Yeah, 70 and 10 are on the extreme side but i did this just to prove that its calories. I believe they do indeed all play their roles as macronutrients but that i believe is more suited to how we 'feel' not look. Im the exact opposite of you, i feel alot better on a plentiful amount of carbs...seems more and more people are switching to fat as their main fuel source though...thats why i like the carbs vs. fat topic so well.
    Bingo. There are some carb sources that I just love - not even because of taste but because it seems to bypass all the lame aspects of eating a lot of carbs and makes me feel full and pumped. But usually fat does it for me as far as energy. All my best workouts are fueled by my Almond Butter addiction .

I like that carbs v.s. fat topic as well -- especially when it gets away from percieved direct affects of body composition due to their natures of being carb or fat -- and when it gets into energy levels, satiety, mood and even taste preferrences.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) louferiggno7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so it doesnt really matter what your breakdown is, its all about calories right? so in order to "clean bulk" all that is in regards to getting your macros from healthier sources am i correct?
    True Grit!

kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10) kaosstar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, the one macro you need to worry about no matter what is protein. The amount can vary. Some people swear by 2g/lb LBM, some people say 1g works just as well.