Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up Connor's "Grow Season": Consistency to Diet and Training for Lean Mass

Hello Everyone,

It's been two months since my first contest season. In August I competed in the Mid-America Pro Am with the NANBF in Evansville Indiana with Team Norton. It was a great show and team Norton did a ton of damage to say the least. I was able to win the Novice Tall and Collegiate classes as well. It was an incredible first experience with bodybuilding having Layne and other members helping each other, I couldn't have asked for a better weekend in Evansville. Then a week later I competed in the North American Natural Bodybuilding Championship with the INBA in Romeoville, Illinois. This was John Hansen's show. I won the Junior title and came in second in the tall class. I was happy with that month of competing but I have new goals. Consistency has been the key to any success I've found in whatever I'm doing- but never has it applied more than natural bodybuilding. Nothing will happen overnight, but those acute decisions we make on a daily basis will build up over time- becoming something great- that ultimate vision.

The Team at the Mid America Pro Am

Final Pose down at the INBA show.

Spread Em'

Tall Class Ab shot

Mid America Final Posedown

Turoni's Pizza

Training:
    I will be tracking my workouts on the basis of this split:

I believe in Layne's Power/Hypertrophy training method as I've used it since I started it in August 2007, and it has been the best protocol for me.

Day 1- Upper Heavy (Arms, Back- FOCUS)
    Day 2- Lower Heavy (Quads, Calves- FOCUS)
    Day 3- HIIT training (Style will vary from week to week)
    Day 4- Upper Hypertrophy
    Day 5- Legs Hypertrophy
    Day 6- Upper Hypertrophy
    Day 7- HIIT/rest

-I will be keeping this type of training, although I may throw in power or hypertrophy exclusive weeks. Body parts trained are also subject to change as I often go by instinct. I learned a lot about my body from prep so knowing what to train and when to train is always subject to train. Intensity is the key.

-Lifting goals:
    Deadlift: 495 lb- 3 reps, Front Squat 335lb- 3 reps- and more to come.
    -Arms, Back, and Legs are my main focus this grow season. Being a tall, lanky basketball player my whole life has left me with some long limbs in need for improvement!!

Nutrition:
    It has been about 2 months since my contest and I am up 7 pounds from stage weight. (180-187 pounds).

My current macros are 260/475/70 and on hypertrophy leg days I will usually hit up the pancake houses or all you can eat Sushi but other than that I like to keep it clean, or make a pizza that hits my macros.

-I like to stick to the basics for the most part, although I have found some new creations that fit into my numbers pretty well. My first two meals of the day stay the same- and then it?s all about HITTING THE NUMBERS. I will be posting my daily nutrition sporadically.

Foods
    Oatmeal
    Lentils
    Yams
    White Potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes
    Ezekiel Bread
    Whole Wheat Pasta
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Lettuce... All Veggies
    Olive Oil
    Flaxseed Oil
    Almonds
    Natural Peanut Butter/nut butters
    Whole Eggs
    Eggwhites
    Cottage Cheese
    Lean cuts of beef
    Lean ham
    Buffalo
    Ostritch
    Salmon
    Halibut

Supplements:
    -Scivation- WHEY
    -Optimum Nutrition- CASEIN
    -XTEND
    -Vasocharge- (cycle every month)

ALSO:
    I am starting this journal to share and keep track of progression in and out of the gym. Now that it has been about 9 weeks since my shows, my metabolism has been steady on the upswing so I will be increasing my food intake from here on out until I get back in the mid 190's. I will also post training videos here and there on certain days. A productive, injury-free offseason is ahead: I'm pumped to get back in there and move some weight and break some PRs!!- Hope you'll follow along!
    Last edited by ConLaV; 10-12-2008 at 06:23 AM.
    If there's any one skill that I've seen in champions- people who have really achieved their highest desires- it's an unbelievable level of persistence. They'll change their approach as necessary, but they won't abandon their ultimate vision.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    good to see you here big man!

ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000) ConLaV is a name known to all. (+5000)

Upper Hypertrophy

Chest and back was hit hard this morning as I was going for more width for back, and focusing more on forcing the blood into the muscle on each movement. The rep ranges have been full and slow to really achieve the mind/muscle connection.

Pec Dec- 4 sets- stack 12 /weighted push-ups- failure
    Hammer DB press- 90's 2 sets 100's 2 sets

Chin-ups
    - 5 sets of 5- slow movements
    T-bar row- 4 sets- drop sets on last 2

Decline
    - 2 sets- 265
    Cable cross over- 2 sets

DB rows- 2 sets 90's-2 sets 110's
    DB pullovers- 2 sets 90's drop set to 80's

Incline Flyes
    on Swiss ball- 2 sets
    Cable High rows- 2 sets- 225 1 drop set

Notes: Great session! high paced- I was in and out in 55 minutes this morning. I am really enjoying the no-rest slow rep protocol for a change. Always keeping the body guessing had produced solid results in the past and I will continue to use different types of intensity techniques through out as my weight gets back to normal. Off-day tomorrow, actually some morning HIIT outside- it's our last 80+ degree day of the season so I better take advantage of it.
    If there's any one skill that I've seen in champions- people who have really achieved their highest desires- it's an unbelievable level of persistence. They'll change their approach as necessary, but they won't abandon their ultimate vision.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    good to see you here big man!
    Thanks man!
    I'll be around your site as well

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Hamstrings are fried from Friday's workout. I took the advice of Alberto (FF) Nunez on the speed SLDL with about 40% of my max on DB. I ended up finishing my last two sets with 70's for 20 super fast reps with a FULL RANGE of motion to get a good stretch and seriously stimulate the hams. I've done some crazy high intensity/volume days on hamstrings, but nothing has made them feel like this. SPEED SLDL's are my new favorite hamstring exercise for sure.

Due to this, I don't think a HIIT session would be beneficial as I don't want to risk anything. 20-30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio to get the blood flowing and start the recovery process should be sufficient. Tomorrow I will start my progression on strength at about 70 percent max

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Subbed.

This is gonna be a sick journal.
    I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do this I keep on doing. (Romans 7:15,17-19)

*90 hour workweek crew*

devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    nice journal dude, subbed
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111082701

"Whether you believe you can, or believe you can't, You're right."

Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Personally on those speed SLDL's I do them on days were I won't be doing any power movements, or at the very least no direct heavy work for the hams. You use 40% and you stop as soon as you get one slow rep, or slower rep. Not even close to failure, its a completely different type of overload!

Awesome to have you on here bro! Big things from this young man here!
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

Originally Posted by Xhale12 View Post
    Subbed.

This is gonna be a sick journal.
    Originally Posted by devo09 View Post
    nice journal dude, subbed
    Thanks... stay tuned, good things ahead for us!
    Last edited by ConLaV; 10-12-2008 at 05:50 PM.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Originally Posted by FATHER FLEX View Post
    Personally on those speed SLDL's I do them on days were I won't be doing any power movements, or at the very least no direct heavy work for the hams. You use 40% and you stop as soon as you get one slow rep, or slower rep. Not even close to failure, its a completely different type of overload!

Awesome to have you on here bro! Big things from this young man here!
    I did exactly what you just described in my workout even though I had no idea how you incorporate them, besides the failure part... thanks for that further clarification bro. Looks like you guys had a solid session out there in Cali
    Last edited by ConLaV; 10-12-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Some people have been asking me how long I've been training, and besides for sports in high school and freshman year of college (football ended due to injury), about 6 months for the purpose of muscle gain.

These are a couple pictures taken less than a year apart.
    (Legs don't exist)
    1)

2)

3)
    Last edited by ConLaV; 10-13-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ConLaV View Post
    I did exactly what you just described in my workout even though I had no idea how you incorporate them, besides the failure part... thanks for that further clarification bro. Looks like you guys had a solid session out there in Cali
    Those strength training principles will take ya a looonnng way. Specially smaller framed guys like you and me.

Yeah big things going on in Cali. Getting ready to get my obese on! In style of course! What are the goals bro? As far as competing goes.

You kept the precontest binge in control, only seven pounds is real good. Most younger guys don't have the will to do that.

Those strength training principles will take ya a looonnng way. Specially smaller framed guys like you and me.

Yeah big things going on in Cali. Getting ready to get my obese on! In style of course! What are the goals bro? As far as competing goes.

You kept the precontest binge in control, only seven pounds is real good. Most younger guys don't have the will to do that.
    Haha, same here on the obese... kcals are going up up up. I've heard way too many of the regrets that experienced competitors have about putting on the weight too quickly, so props to you as well.

I am going to study abroad in the spring which will make it impossible to stick to my current lifestyle, but I plan on at the very least keeping what I have, I wish I had a more concrete plan but I plan I competing as soon as I feel ready. In the meantime, let's get growin!

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Upper Power: 10.13.08

*Doesn't include warm-up sets

DB Flat press 2 sets- 105
    These felt nice and easy, strength is getting there

Incline Flyes 2 sets- 80

Smith Military Press 3 sets 205

Rear delt pull-downs 2 sets- stack

Weighted Chins w/ 25 attached 10 sets

Weighted hangs for 60 second count 2 sets- 65 DB attached

Barbell Curls- 2 sets- 105

French Press- 2 sets- 105

Weighted Dips 5 sets of 5- 60 attached

Cable curls- 1 set- 85

Notes: Very happy with the way things are progressing in the gym as far as strength progression. I am still getting my weight to slowly creep up to where I can keep adding to the bar each week. Every set was taken well short of failure and I was up about 5 pounds on each exercise from last week. Tracking progression on these movements will be the base of my strength workouts, however I am looking forward to deadlifting again next Monday, really anxious to see where I'm at with that.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Power LEG day today....
    Having all this food is making these workouts more fun and I know progress is a must.

I weighed in at 188.5 this morning

Food for today:
    PRO: 285
    CHO: 475
    FAT: 70

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Lower Power: 10.14.08

Hack Squat

4 plates for 5
    4 sets

Vertical Leg Press

5 plates for 5
    4 sets

Leg Extension

Stack for 5
    2 sets- slow up, slower down

Standing Calf

Stack for 20 slow, full range reps
    2 sets

Notes:
    Lower volume than normal today, but I really wanted to focus on these particular movements and I know on Friday I have an awesome workout planned for my hypertrophy leg day. All lifts were about 90 percent max and every movement felt smooth. Much needed day of rest tomorrow, but I will likely get some cardio in between classes.

8 AM- 1 cup Oats, 1 cup egg whites, 1 whole egg, 2 tablespoons better n' PB, 1 salmon oil

11:30- I can tuna, roasted tomato baked chips

12:30- Odwalla banana nut bar

3:00- I cup egg beaters, 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 sesame seed ezekiel bun, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 cup almond milk

6:00- 90 g oats, 1.5 servings whey, 2 Tbsp Better n' PB, 1/2 cup almond milk

7:30- Turkey breast w/ bbq sauce, stir-fry veggies and sesame seed ezekiel bun w/ 1 tbsp almond butter.

10:00- 1 scoop chocolate Casein, 2 cups baby spinach, 2 TBSP flax seed, stevia, cinnamon, almond milk, 1/4 cup macadamia nut muesli- all blended up- looks like a green milkshake- tastes amesome

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

MIDTERMS ALL DAY TODAY

Cardio was going back and forth to my class buildings and my room to eat and get books, etc. Extremely long day, but everything went smoothly and I have some upper body hypertrophy tomorrow. Chest and Back are still sore from last power day which is strange because by the time my quicker, purely intense days come around, the soreness is gone. I may need to feel it out and just focus on healing up. One of the things I haven't dealt much with in the past is taking time off, because I've never felt like I've needed to. We are all so different! Depending on how things pan out with strength progression and recovery this week, I may try something new... but if it's not broke I won't be fixing a thing!!

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Great job brutha! Way to get your rebound on! I can't wait myself for the strength to start jumping back up as well. In my case its always my pressing to back the slowest...bleh

Great job brutha! Way to get your rebound on! I can't wait myself for the strength to start jumping back up as well. In my case its always my pressing to back the slowest...bleh

I hear you my man, it's really nice to feel the difference as you inch back towards your set point, it makes things that much more fun when you do work... your numbers will be plain silly soon

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Likewise you have done an awesome job. Like you said the horror stories about going from contest shape to way past your setpoint in days. Ewwwww. Besides how awfull that would, its simply just not good for a body that has been through enough stress with the prep and all, specially when you get to those really low levels of bf. That alone is a bitch on your body.

By the way, you did an awesome job with your conditioning. I could not believe that was your first go around.

Yeah I kinda want to be 180 something at some point. At that point bleh...I better start waking up early to eat.

Likewise you have done an awesome job. Like you said the horror stories about going from contest shape to way past your setpoint in days. Ewwwww. Besides how awfull that would, its simply just not good for a body that has been through enough stress with the prep and all, specially when you get to those really low levels of bf. That alone is a bitch on your body.

By the way, you did an awesome job with your conditioning. I could not believe that was your first go around.

The best part about getting ready for a contest is learning your body and what it takes to attain your goal. Being objective, but at the same time paying close attention to every signal it sends you can be tedious, but the lessons are priceless. I wouldn't want to ruin it all in 5 days

Yeah I kinda want to be 180 something at some point. At that point bleh...I better start waking up early to eat.
    That's a nice problem to have!!

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

10.17.08- Hypertrophy- Legs

Hack Squat

4 plates- 12 reps
    4 plates- 12 reps
    4 plates- 14 reps

(Quad focused)

Supersquat (Fronts)- super set with seated calf raise

12 plates- 10 reps/ 2 plates- 20 reps

- I made sure to put extra emphasis on the quads and utilizing a full range of motion on the calf raises- (Tommy reps)- They haven't felt like this before...

Seated upright leg press/ super set sissy squats

stack (500 lbs.)- 10 reps
    stack (500 lbs.)- 10 reps

- Tried "x reps" and held for a count on both exercises right before the eccentric part of the lift.

Standing calf raise

- about 3/4 the stack for 2 sets of 20.

- switching up the rep ranges on these doesn't allow me to go real heavy. The strict form is much better feel on these, not bounce, no sloppiness anymore on these.

Leg extension/super set seated leg curl
    whole stack on each for 2 sets of 10.

Squat machine

350- 12 reps
    375- 10 reps

Ab machine

1 burnout set

Nutrition:
    270/455/68

Notes: This week was one of the busiest I've had in a while in the classroom. For most of my friends, a stressful week= lots of booze. All my friends were gearing up to hit up the free- 3 hour liquor fest at the bars tonight, it's not a hard decision to skip out, but I like to go and have one with friends... especially for a birthday (all my friends are turning 21 this year). However I had to say no tonight because when I'm stressed, the only thing I want to do, or can do for that matter is go lift... and there goes the stress, sometimes you have to do what you want no matter what. Being fat, stupid, and drunk is no way to go through life... sry, Animal House is on.
    Last edited by ConLaV; 10-17-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000) Xhale12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice workout. Life can get rough sometimes. It's good that you are able to channel that stress towards the gym though. Keep it up.
    I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do this I keep on doing. (Romans 7:15,17-19)

*90 hour workweek crew*

Originally Posted by Xhale12 View Post
    Nice workout. Life can get rough sometimes. It's good that you are able to channel that stress towards the gym though. Keep it up.
    Appreciate that, no biggie though ... it's just the decisions you have to make at this age, or any age really... Life is about balance, and dealing with those decisions.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Or good for grades for that matter. I got so much done tonight in just a few hours.

Or good for grades for that matter. I got so much done tonight in just a few hours.
    Procrastination is not our friend, it feels so good to get that crap done....especially when it's organic chemistry!!

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Hypertrophy- Weak point focus

Pull-ups

BW- 10 reps
    BW- 10 reps
    BW- 10 reps

Concentration Curls/ superset DB kickbacks
    1 heavy set of 50's.
    35- 10 reps/ 35- 10 reps
    35- 10 reps/ 35- 12 reps

EZ curls with Curl w/ curl strap/ superset flat extensions

95- 10 reps/ 10 reps
    100- 10 reps/ 10 reps
    100- 10 reps/ 12 reps

*slow negatives, no rest between exercises, about 45 second rest between supersets

Alternate DB curls/ superset rope extension

40- 8 reps/ stack (not too heavy)- 10 reps
    35- 10 reps/ stack- 10 reps

One set of 21's- (cables)
    7- low
    7- high
    7- full- ROM.

BB "t-bar" rows

1 drop set w/ 4 25's.

Nutrition:
    260/475/75

Notes:
    Really intense session, I was in and out in about 45 minutes. I opted to try my residence building gym- which is only equipped with a decent stack of DB's, a cable set up, a power rack, and dip bar... this is very useful when I want to workout really early and I have the place to myself which can be a nice change of pace.

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Check it out: John Hansen was the promoter of the second show I did this summer: http://naturalbodybuildingradio.com/

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Originally Posted by ConLaV View Post
    Procrastination is not our friend, it feels so good to get that crap done....especially when it's organic chemistry!!
    Your officially DA MAN! You will grow a adamantium beard, and chest hair after taking that class!

This Morning was just some cardio, but I switched some things up and made it pretty interesting.

I started off with med. ball circuits with 20 chest presses off the wall, 10 to the right with a side lunge, 10 to the left with a side lunge. 20 torso twist and bounces off the wall, and 20 chest presses off the floor (sitting in crunch position).

Right after a set of those, I did 2 leg circuits with 20 bodyweight squats, 20 alternating lunges, 20 jump lunges, and 10 power jumps, no rest.

Immediately followed by 5 minutes of jump rope and sit-ups/ various ab work. The whole workout was about 40 minutes of pure intensity. I like to invent new thigs for cardio to keep the body guess and make it fun.

Tonight I'm going home for a home cooked meal, seafood Jambalaya!

Team Norton

ONE DAY AT A TIME