CanadianKid69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Creatine Gluconate and effects on blood glucose

I have searched these forums for the difinitive answer to this question. I can not find any referance to how gluconic acid effects blood glucose (if at all).

First a little bit of information
    Gluconic acid is made by the oxidation of glucose. It is a carboxylic acid. When it forms an ionic bond with creatine it makes creatine gluconate. When creatine is added to water it should dissociate to creatine and gluconic acid (is this correct??? is the bond ionic or is the creatine bond to gluconic acid through an ester bond????) gluconic acid exsists in equilibrium with its lactone forms which is glucono delta lactone. glucono delta lactone can be hydrolyzed to glucose and when put into the body yeilds the same amount of energy as glucose...

So are 0 carb products with creatine gluconate reallly zero carbs? Does creatine gluconate dissociate in solution to creatine and gluconic acid which then forms glucono delta lactone which then forms glucose? What a strange mechanism for making insulin... Is this whole thing just a gimick so that 0 carbs can be on the label and yet the product will still have enough glucose to make an insulin response?
    If anyone has knoweldge as to why creatine gluconate is being I used I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Just noticed I need to cite sources when starting a new thread. My sources for this information are wikipedia. I can find no information on how gluconic acid effects blood sugar. Perhaps it is obviouse to say that a pub med search of "gluconic acid and blood sugar" or "gluconic acid and glycemic index" came up with no hits also searching www.glycemicindex.com for gluconic acid also came up negative

According to this study http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/187/1/241.pdf there is nearly direct conversion of gluconic acid to glucose in vivo in the rat (was this just totally obviouse to everyone except me??). It is still unknown as to how fast this conversion occurs. The speed on the conversion would determine the glycemic index and so would be an important measure of the effectiveness of this compound as a creatine delivery system.

One other consideration is the dissociation constant of creatine gluconate. I am not sure what it is, but it would be important to know. For quinine gluconate the bond between them is an ester, which require de-esterification for the quinine (or creatine) to be active. Does anyone know the nature of the gluconate-creatine bond ? I assume its ionic but it might not be. Does anyone know the dissociation constant for creatine... I will try to find the dissociation constants for the various creatines and post them here.
    Last edited by CanadianKid69; 10-10-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling