Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BboyElectrick View Post
    I was wondering which style I should train in as I don't plan on being a major competitor, but which would be the best to train in if I was ever in a real fight.

Wrestling & Muay Thai or Wrestling & Kickboxing have always been what I thought I would be best in but am looking for some more knowledgeable advice. Also, I have a school I'd like checked out by people who actually know what there talking about as I want real training, not just some rinse and repeat mainstreamed garbage.

If school doesn't look good are there any you'd recommend around Maple Ridge, BC?

School: http://www.carlsongraciemma.com/
    That particular gym is very legit. I am not sure if the gym that Denis Kang used to teach at/teaches at is in the area (Shane Rice might be there now or was there) but that would be another very legit gym out there.

The Carlson Gracie gym out there is awesome and the price is sweet. The instructor is the highest ranking BJJ guy in all of Canada and is awesome (Only Coral Belt in Canada) . I am not part of the Carlson Team or anything, it is just the way it is. I'd check out your options and make the decision from there but yes, that gym is very legit.

Originally Posted by ironmouth View Post
    anyone want to elaborate on the ''leave your ego at the door'' statement? Seems more like a catchphrase than expressing any true wisdom in it.
    Originally Posted by lnels View Post
    do you guys think this gym is legit?

im not in it for competitive fighting, more for fitness.

http://www.martialartsplanet.ca/
    Yes. Probably the better option for BJJ in Kingston. They have legit instruction and part of a legit team. I do not know anything about the striking but the BJJ is legit and I'd assume the rest is legit.

I've seen some pretty good BJJ stories recently so I'll give you guys my best BJJ win to date. I did an event recently, I wanted to win a "belt" so I signed up for advanced even though my time (& belt) says I should be in intermediate. I felt good in recent training and thought why not. Advanced generally is purple belt + or above a certain amount of time. I only did no gi at the event due to time restrictions but anyway I ended up winning the advanced division (didn't expect to win and do not have a great record in competition). I submitted a legit BJJ black belt/was a professional MMA fighter in my first match which was the highlight of the event and my BJJ career (I am a blue belt). In the gym I noticed I have become more of a target now though. Plus, unless I am able to medal at a major IBJJF event, I won't be able to top that win lol.

Good thing I did not google him when I saw his name in my division, which I thought about doing lol. Probably would have had a different outcome... lol.
    Last edited by Tapciv; 12-16-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    BJJ Brah

WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10) WolfgangVL is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great post really informative :]
    JustDoIt Crew
    Stay Positive Crew
    German Crew
    NaturalSexBeast Crew
    DeathMetalAllDay Crew
    Sex Crew

#BeastMode

Baconguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baconguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baconguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baconguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baconguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baconguy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    So I'm planning on taking up a MA and basically narrowed it down to two options since no gyms nearby do only boxing as a standalone sport:

-Muay Thai which I have no idea about
    -and this gym which claims to be about self defence etc. so I think it's like MMA? not sure? advice?

FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) FBrown89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree with most of the stuff in the sticky. My only piece of advice though is to go in with the intention of surviving. Don't go in and expect to learn sweeps and good guard work, etc on your first day. Also, don't ask "what can I do to get in shape?" Nothing is going to prepare you 100% for the fatigue you're going to experience the first time you roll with someone. Good cardio helps but rolling is a beast all by itself.

daltontj509 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Body type

Is there a certain reccomended discipline for each body type? Like I'm 6'5 at 205 which discipline would my body best help me?

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    I've seen tall people excel at grappling as well as short people. Same with striking....

You hear people say "he's got a wrestlers build"...but I don't believe that you have to be a certain build to do well.
    If its something you're interested in, go train and see where your interest is. I think if you enjoy what you're doing, you're going to get better in spite of the stereotypes of build.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Nebzfan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebzfan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nebzfan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cgc View Post
    I've seen tall people excel at grappling as well as short people. Same with striking....

You hear people say "he's got a wrestlers build"...but I don't believe that you have to be a certain build to do well.
    If its something you're interested in, go train and see where your interest is. I think if you enjoy what you're doing, you're going to get better in spite of the stereotypes of build.
    tall people have the advantage in chokes (rear naked, guillotine, triangle), and armbars due to their long legs
    Despicable, lowlife racist abuse on ********:

http://imgur.com/a/CBy4W

just waiting for a mate trapsbro's Avatar
    trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This might be a stupid question but this gym has a wrestling class and a BJJ class and I only have money to train in one, they both look interesting to train in and I want to do more with MMA in the future, so I'm wondering which one would be more beneficial for me right now? I was thinking of trying wrestling and then move up to BJJ , I'm not sure
    every man is born with the ability to make himself a king and the ability to make himself a slave

Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by trapsbro View Post
    This might be a stupid question but this gym has a wrestling class and a BJJ class and I only have money to train in one, they both look interesting to train in and I want to do more with MMA in the future, so I'm wondering which one would be more beneficial for me right now? I was thinking of trying wrestling and then move up to BJJ , I'm not sure
    I would say BJJ because you still learn takedowns and how to control someone on the ground.
    I'm a little biased though since BJJ is my **** though haha.
    Dallas Sports/Texas Tech Red Raiders
    ****Dallas Misc Crew****
    bb.com's Jiu Jitsu team
    Beer Crew
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***

Never quit, because only the strong survive.

cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz cgc has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Nebzfan View Post
    tall people have the advantage in chokes (rear naked, guillotine, triangle), and armbars due to their long legs
    You've not listed anything a shorter person who practices can't become very proficient at.
    "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard"

The more I workout at commercial gyms, the more I hate commercial gyms.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be to the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

just waiting for a mate trapsbro's Avatar
    trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trapsbro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    damn, after reading some more info on wrestling i feel like im too old to start competing lol and the current gym that i want to go to has 2x a week bjj classes and 2x a week wrestling classes so it looks like i will have to join schools/clubs specifically for them if i plan on doing them seriously
    every man is born with the ability to make himself a king and the ability to make himself a slave

Ponyboy4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello peeps, great stickie, i read this on Saturday in preperation for my first MMA training session which was today. Bloody hell, it was hard, I knew i was unfit but didnt realise actually how UNFIT i was.

I loved it, i was so anxious before hand but was made to feel very welcome, however i have managed to break a toe, bruised my ribs and threw up, so not really a great start, but i dont care cos i really enjoyed it.

Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ben6485 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ponyboy4 View Post
    Hello peeps, great stickie, i read this on Saturday in preperation for my first MMA training session which was today. Bloody hell, it was hard, I knew i was unfit but didnt realise actually how UNFIT i was.

I loved it, i was so anxious before hand but was made to feel very welcome, however i have managed to break a toe, bruised my ribs and threw up, so not really a great start, but i dont care cos i really enjoyed it.
    It's most likely been said before, but, you can be fit as hell coming in and still seem unfit for BJJ/MMA. It's just a different kind of cardio. I can't run or jog for 5 minutes but can easily do a 5-6 minute roll. Fresh, I can easily do 10 minutes.

You'll bruise up quite a bit for a few months also. Takes a while for your skin to get used to the art. Primarily will be in the thighs and biceps. I also used to get them on my shins.
    I've started training again in February and it took a few months for me to stop getting bruises after every practice.
    ****Dallas Misc Crew****
    bb.com's Jiu Jitsu team
    Beer Crew
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***

humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Ponyboy4 View Post
    however i have managed to break a toe, bruised my ribs and threw up, so not really a great start, but i dont care cos i really enjoyed it.
    I have no idea what you're talking about, this is a GREAT start Toes can be taped to other toes and most of us have thrown up from training at one time or another. The bruised ribs suck, but they're probably not actually bruised, because if they are you probably won't be training again for a week. Don't sweat it, as long as you enjoyed yourself thats all that matters. A lot of people think that people at MMA gyms are total douchebags, but in most cases the people there are awesome because they're part of a family at their gym.

I agree with the grappling cardio vs running. I can't run for 10 minutes, but I've don 40+ min rolls quite a few times.

Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10) Simsimah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys just signed up for an mma gym I have an assessment in two days what should I take with me? Also I was punching the heavy bag today and wrist is hurting I think it's fractured I can prolly still punch as i have a high pain threshold should I postpone my class or just go? Also I never did any kind of mma b4 but I have a very hard punch/kick with decent technique IMO should I drop all the techniques I know from street fighting and start fresh? Last question what ma do you recommend for me im 5 9 but have really long limbs so I like striking never really been a grappler b4. Last thing wtf is gi? Wth is rolling?

suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100) suoenallecsiM is not very well liked. (-100)
    anyone have any tips for a good mouth piece and some compression shorts/cup?

all within a reasonable price for BJJ/Muay Thai classes (poverty status 18 year old)
    arABSbrah- dat one pof thread

humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) humanpuck is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by suoenallecsiM View Post

all within a reasonable price for BJJ/Muay Thai classes (poverty status 18 year old)
    Good mouth piece, eh I just got a custom one after using a $5 one for 4 years. Don't get hung up on it. As far as compression shorts it doesn't matter, they sell cheap ones at Marshalls and TJ Maxx with and "8" as the logo. Spend the money on a titanium cup, you will not regret it. I've had mine for 3 years, thats one hell of a lifespan for a cup. Shock doctor makes great one. I've had plastic cups break and I was lucky enough to not get stabbed in the junk by a sharp piece of plastic. I prefer to use compression shorts as just compression shorts. I don't like the ones that have the cup pocket, the cup moves around way to much. My preference is compression shorts with a good jock to go over it.

Originally Posted by suoenallecsiM View Post

Originally Posted by humanpuck View Post
    Good mouth piece, eh I just got a custom one after using a $5 one for 4 years. Don't get hung up on it. As far as compression shorts it doesn't matter, they sell cheap ones at Marshalls and TJ Maxx with and "8" as the logo. Spend the money on a titanium cup, you will not regret it. I've had mine for 3 years, thats one hell of a lifespan for a cup. Shock doctor makes great one. I've had plastic cups break and I was lucky enough to not get stabbed in the junk by a sharp piece of plastic. I prefer to use compression shorts as just compression shorts. I don't like the ones that have the cup pocket, the cup moves around way to much. My preference is compression shorts with a good jock to go over it.
    Stopped using a cup a long time ago....for BJJ that is. I have a titanium one for MT...but since I don't do MT anymore, well, at the moment, I don't ever use it.
    A cheap newbie mouthguard is a shockdoctor one. Less than 10 bucks I believe and does the job.
    ****Dallas Misc Crew****
    bb.com's Jiu Jitsu team
    Beer Crew
    ***TEAM REDRAIDER86***

Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tapciv is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Simsimah View Post
    Hey guys just signed up for an mma gym I have an assessment in two days what should I take with me? Also I was punching the heavy bag today and wrist is hurting I think it's fractured I can prolly still punch as i have a high pain threshold should I postpone my class or just go? Also I never did any kind of mma b4 but I have a very hard punch/kick with decent technique IMO should I drop all the techniques I know from street fighting and start fresh? Last question what ma do you recommend for me im 5 9 but have really long limbs so I like striking never really been a grappler b4. Last thing wtf is gi? Wth is rolling?
    Sounds like you signed up at Xtreme Couture in Toronto. TBH, the assessment is a waste, they have a person who is untrained sell you on how good the gym is while teaching you various stuff to see what you take an interest in and what class you should jump into.

You can't recommend a martial art based on your height and/or weight. It is based on your interests, your goals, and your natural ability. Try them out and see what you enjoy the most and go at it. I've seen all sorts of different people be great at grappling, you just adjust your style to your body type and ability. Same with striking.......

What you think is good technique on a punch/kick will most likely be different than what your instructor considers a good punch/kick. I would drop all the "techniques" you know and try to soak up as much as the instructor will give you and work off that. Leave the ego outside and start fresh. Plus, what is the point of doing the classes if you are not going practice the techniques the instructor lays out for the class to practice? What are you going to do? Punch the bag and focus mitts in your own way? You are paying to learn the stuff... The instructor will presumably have much more experience and knowledge in the area that you are paying for access to.

Gi class is in a kimono, like if you watched Judo.. would be in a similar uniform except a BJJ class on the ground. More technical but also not great if you plan on focusing on MMA. If you are at Xtreme Couture, the instructor for the Gi class fights in Bellator (or had his last fight there) and is pretty legit. Good friends with Aldo, and his brother just won TUF Brazil.

Have fun, keep us updated.
    BJJ Brah

TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000) TheDarkseid is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi guys, starting my first MMA class tonight.

Pricing for this gym is pretty decent compared to others in my area. The monthly rate without a contract is $125 for students.

This gym does not have BJJ classes, only submission wrestling.

It teaches MMA, Muay Thai, Boxing and Wrestling.

Can I get some feedback on the place ? link: http://www.darksidemma.co/home.html

Look forward to learning some MMA and hopefully competing in the future.
    -Team Manlet-
    -5'5 master race-

Father to a future manlet
    Cuckold to a cheating sloot

*Sniff hard as fuk when next to a girl on public transport to smell her hair crew*

It isn't until a mosquito lands on our testicles that we learn to solve a problem without the use of violence.

Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10) Unst is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you!!!

Have guns, will travel. bealsjt's Avatar
    bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bealsjt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Awesome stuff ITT, great post OP and thank you for the tips. As many times as I've been in and around the MA culture it's easy to point out the dbags that missed the bus in regards to common courtesies.

Will be moving to Uruguay (Montevideo) next month and will start at my first actual school for BJJ. I've rolled for a long time (with various different skill levels) and wrestled for 6+ years so I'm used to the mat and comfortable on the ground, but definitely still ready for the ass whoopins that are to come.

I'll be living down there for awhile so I hope for a solid learning experience the entire time I'm there. Words cannot express how stoked I am to be back on the mat!
    Saepe expertus, semper fidelis, fratres aeterni

☠ Former Permaban Crew ☠
    <><>MiSC BJJ crew<><>

Iowa Wrestling, Michigan Wolverines, Denver Broncos

2k+

MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MrMilesy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    This post makes me wanna sign up. Only thing I'm worried about is I'm a pretty big guy and I fear that the dudes in the class will have high expectations and sort of assume I can fight.

I took "after-school" mma classes for around 6 months two years back (obviously I won't tell them this) so I have very little experience.

Any advice brahs? Also should I try to convince friend (partner) or head in by myself?

Originally Posted by MrMilesy View Post
    This post makes me wanna sign up. Only thing I'm worried about is I'm a pretty big guy and I fear that the dudes in the class will have high expectations and sort of assume I can fight.

I took "after-school" mma classes for around 6 months two years back (obviously I won't tell them this) so I have very little experience.

Any advice brahs? Also should I try to convince friend (partner) or head in by myself?
    When ever someone is new, regardless of size, there are no expectations. If the guy is jacked, I expect him to be strong. In terms of actual ability to fight, 0 expectations. Everyone has their own ability, drive, and natural talent.

Don't let that hold you back.

I think if you have someone you can go in and start out with it is great because it becomes more comfortable to have someone you know working with you and getting into it with you. The reality is, most people do not stick around so don't be surprised if you bring someone and they do not stick around (or maybe the other way around, or both of you.. lol). It is good to get started with someone but the great thing is that you are almost forced to meet new people and get comfortable with them so down the road it won't matter as you will make friends and be comfortable in the gym. It is just getting started that can be uncomfortable and someone you know can help that.

Jump in either way though!
    BJJ Brah

Registered User SugarFreeRedBul's Avatar
    SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SugarFreeRedBul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Was worth reading
    ***Allegiance BJJ***
    ***Shubudushubudushubududum Drummer's Thread***
    ***Dedicated for all percussionists around the world***

jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey guys, I dont know where else to post this so ill ask here.. What is the average price for a month of BJJ lessons? And theres only 1 gym near me and I want to make sure im not getting jacked

Originally Posted by jtswjs22 View Post
    Hey guys, I dont know where else to post this so ill ask here.. What is the average price for a month of BJJ lessons? And theres only 1 gym near me and I want to make sure im not getting jacked
    Depends where you live, I know in the Boston area $130/month is about the average.

jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000) jtswjs22 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Western PA, only gym I can really find thats reasonable driving distance is PA Combat Sports (http://www.pacombatsports.com/)

I found pricing (i think) its not on their website but i googled PA Combat Sports pricing and came up with this (http://pacombatsports.typepad.com/fi...tructure-3.pdf)

$65 a month, seems really reasonable after you said 130/month!

SamFitfam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Been doing bjj for a month now and feel like I'm really improving. Before I started I did some wrestling and was in good shape so it wasn't that big of a transition, heck being a girl and outdoing the boys in the warm up drills on my first day felt great. I've definitely gotten stronger and learned how to deal with bigger opponent, and tap them out of course

Btw 130 a month is the norm here too. Damn it I'd kill to only have to pay $65 a month, I'd snatch the deal up quick.

Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chronic23 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Went to my first class yesterday (the first one was free)

http://www.southsidejiujitsu.com/

That's the website, it's $105/month for college students, which I think I am going to end up signing up for it today, it's literally a two minute drive.

A couple of questions: Where can I find a gi to buy? And howmuch should I look to spend on one? I think the ones there cost around $130.