Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The truth about bulking

Hello
    I am confused about what the truth is.

I am trying to bulk (weight lifting 4 days a week) and I am struggling to put on any weight.

I am told so many different things. ok eat a lot is the consistent message which i am trying to do.

but am i suppost to be eating clean or will anything do with a lot of callories?

If I ate a variety of crap through out the week that was high in callories would i put on muscle?

and am i suppost to be eating a meal before i go to bed? As once advised Ive been eating cottage cheese or a weight gain shake last thing. Thing is Ive just read a post suggesting that its a myth that eating last thing at night helps you put on weight?

Thanks for any input

B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When you say you are "struggling" to put on weight, how much are/have you gaining/gained over what time period?

Are you a classic ectomorph bodytype?

erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) erics44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive been bulking for 3 months which is the same period ive been lifting weights and i have put on a couple of pounds at the most

what is an ectomorph bodytype?

Hi mate

just looked up the ectomorph bodytype

http://www.fitnesshealthzone.com/exe...rph-body-type/

i am pretty skinny like although my ribs dont stick out and i do have a bit of the middle aged love handles

The sensitive or self aware part made me laff, im none of that

thanks

anyway

sorry to add to my own post again but I think i am capable of putting on weight, ive put on fat before so i dont think im ectomorph bodytype

The aim is to put on muscle by ant means neccessary, i dont mind if I do or I dont have to eat clean, ill eat anything

what is the best way to do it? will i hamper my progress by not eating clean? can I eat a variety of crap through out the week as long as it has lots of calories?

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I would advise you eat clean - it's going to be easier that way. Lots of steak, potatos, whole eggs, whole milk, etc.

Cheeseburgers and fries are not going to do you much good.
    Donkeyno9: Don't think you're the only one here who suffers from addiction, depression and failure. Winner is an attitude not a body type. Use your inner demons to gain an iron fist on the forces in life that hold you down. Step into the furnace of reality and walk out a hard ass mother fu....

B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) B4ndit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well I am a classic ectomorph and I have a very fast metabolism so everyone tells me to eat huge amounts.
    However I prefer to follow the "6 small meals a day" plan because it keeps my stomach small without leaving me hungry. Keeping my stomach small is important to me because when I get to 70kg I want to work on getting my bottom two abs to complete my 8-pack.

My diet pretty much involves eating absolutely everything just so that I can hit my 3000+ calories per day goal. I don't differentiate between clean and bad carbs. I pretty much live off fast food and protein shakes with the occasional healthy meal and this has helped me gain 9kg of lean muscle in 10 months.

However, bear in mind that my body fat % is "ERROR" on the machines at gym - it doesn't even pick it up.

Your situation is obviously different to mine so you have to adapt accordingly.
    I recommend eating consistently throughout the day and never let yourself get hungry.
    If you are an ectomorph then definitely stay away from cardio because your body will break down your muscle for energy since the fat stores are so minimal.
    If you have some fat then I suggest eating clean carbs and high protein foods. Also, check out the calorie count websites so you can gauge more-or-less how many calories you are consuming per day.
    Another important thing I find is taking your protein shakes at the right times of day.

I take mine:
    1) first thing in the morning as I wake up.
    2) Just before gym
    3) Immediately after gym

I hope this helps and remember never to take anything anyone says at face value, including what I've told you here. Always research.
    I find getting a good build to be 60% diet, 30% gym and 10% RESEARCH.

Cheers!

thanks man good advice

Ive changed from drinking protein shakes to the weight gain stuff, 30% protein the rest carbs, good move do you think?

i didnt realise there were calorie count websites either, think they will probably give me a better understanding of what i am taking in

one more question, looking at the calorie counting websites there are 500 in a big mac along with lots of protein

sounds like a good bulking meal, is it?

Well for bulking I suppose a high carb drink will do just as well. I'm using a high carb drink at the moment as well. I try get the majority of my protein from "real" food.

Keep the following fundamental principle in your head at all times.
    Make sure that everyday you consume more calories than you burn.

It doesn't get more basic than that

The only time i burn calories (obviously that is not in usual day to day stuff) is when i am working out

sorry if this is a stupid question but how do i know how many calories i am burning during a workout?

Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    one more question, looking at the calorie counting websites there are 500 in a big mac along with lots of protein

sounds like a good bulking meal, is it?
    yeah it is, I was eating McDonalds 3 times a week at one stage until I couldn't stomach the taste of it anymore - then i switched to KFC.

But only bulk on those kind of meals if you have a fast metabolism that is going to burn it straight away and not store the fat for a rainy day.

Just bulk and monitor you bf%, making sure it doesn't rise.

Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    The only time i burn calories (obviously that is not in usual day to day stuff) is when i am working out

sorry if this is a stupid question but how do i know how many calories i am burning during a workout?
    Well if you doing cardio then usually the machines guesstimate how many calories you burn.

But if you doing weights, don't even worry about keeping track of that. There is so much info and stats to consider that you'd just make yourself paranoid by over-analysing things.

Ive stopped doing any excessive cardio, i usually punch a punch bag as a warm up for 5 minutes before lifting

i could even stop that if its uneccessarily burning calories?

That should be alright. I suppose it's all to do with your heart rate.

Surgeon By 2012 or Bust! -Aaron-'s Avatar
    -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The broscience is strong in this thread.
    "The world will look up and shout save us... And I'll whisper, no."

Leonidas300, SCDiesel23, Jkeith are my heroes.

Originally Posted by -Aaron- View Post
    The broscience is strong in this thread.
    No idea what that means, but as I told him - don't take anything anyone says at face value, including what I said. I may very well be wrong in my opinions.

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Eat clean.

Surgeon By 2012 or Bust! -Aaron-'s Avatar
    -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Aaron- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Paumen View Post
    Eat clean.
    Why?
    "The world will look up and shout save us... And I'll whisper, no."

Leonidas300, SCDiesel23, Jkeith are my heroes.

why is exactly what i wanna know

if i need to i will but if eating a cheese filled salty fatty pizza 3 times a week is gonna help me put more muscle on then id rather do that

Read this link for an answer

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/121

Ive come to the conclusion eating as clean as posible (without maybe taking it too seriously) is the way forward for me

The site you attached does promote eating pizza but they are relatively clean pizzas

and i havent read many success stories (appart from yours) on here about people who significantly changed the way they look and ate badly

******if anyone else has succeeded whilst not having a clean diet then please let me know******

Cheers anyway man, reckon your approach was much more helpfull than that of the broscience man

chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chicky9914 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When he says "eat clean" he means, don't go to chic-fil-a post workout and order a milkshake, 3 chicken sandwiches, 2 orders of fries, and a dr pepper. Be sensible. Eat your steak, grilled chicken, oatmeal, rice, sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, protein shakes, etc. So basically eat the right foods, but more of them. So much better on your body than eating junk.
    Last edited by chicky9914; 10-13-2008 at 10:49 AM. Reason: ....

500 Internal Server Error jujuB's Avatar
    jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jujuB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bulk clean. I've gained just 10 pounds, and i'm not even that serious about my diet...yet.

dont eat dirty unless you can burn off every last calorie.

take michael phelphs for example. he eats 12k calories everyday.

why? he swims for a living, and it's the best form of cardio. he has to keep weight on him, and he nees the energy to swim.
    RIP mainsqueeze530 1991-2013

Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alienheat4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    I would advise you eat clean - it's going to be easier that way. Lots of steak, potatos, whole eggs, whole milk, etc.

Cheeseburgers and fries are not going to do you much good.
    Why wouldn't they? Plenty of easy calories for someone who's looking to bulk.

RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RandallH19891 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jujuk8 View Post
    Bulk clean. I've gained just 10 pounds, and i'm not even that serious about my diet...yet.

dont eat dirty unless you can burn off every last calorie.

take michael phelphs for example. he eats 12k calories everyday.

why? he swims for a living, and it's the best form of cardio. he has to keep weight on him, and he nees the energy to swim.
    Sorry to hijack the thread but he doesn't eat that much. It was a hyped media myth thing. Someone posted a thread in here about it recently.

May I remind everybody that classically, dirty or clean doesn't refer to food quality, it refers to counting macros! SNAP.
    Just going through the motions is one of the most disadvantageous things you can do.

Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Beerguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have gained from my low 165lbs to 191 in about 7 months by first figuring my caloric needs meeting them and then exceeding them by about 200 calories. If I didnt gain in a week or so I bumped them up another 200 and so on. I eat Clean about 5 days a week. I eat whatever I want on the weekends. I eat a happy medium of clean and high calorie food. I drink two beers everynight as well. I will add I never gained much mass until I really increased my carbs. That is a personal thing that will take you some time to figure out. Dont be afraid to eat especialy when your workouts are intense.
    BULKING AND NOT WANTING TO GAIN FAT IS LIKE HAVING SEX AND NOT WANTING TO GET OFF. IT IS NOT VERY PRODUCTIVE.

thanks people, some good replies

makes me feel better about the approach i have decided to take

I am more than happy to be carefull with my diet but dont think i would succeed if i had to take the yokes from my eggs

by the way, i had been struggling to put on weight but 2 weeks ago i changed from having protein shakes to weight gain and I have put on half a stone (7lbs to you people in the new world)

Im not fatter but i dont look any more muscular either

FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FunkDaddy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RandallH19891 View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread but he doesn't eat that much. It was a hyped media myth thing. Someone posted a thread in here about it recently.

May I remind everybody that classically, dirty or clean doesn't refer to food quality, it refers to counting macros! SNAP.
    Classically? Was there a bodybuilding renaissance that I missed?