unreal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chin-ups / Pull-ups vs. Bent-over rows.

Hi all, I searched for this info already and could not find anything exactly relevant. Right now, my back regimen consists of mostly bent-over rows with db's / bb's, close grip chins and cable rows. I started performing wide-grip chins and pull-ups at home recently and started wondering: If I can perform 6 pullups unassisted, is this the same as 6 reps of bent-over bb rows of my own bodyweight? Would it be beneficial to replace some of machine / db rows with chin-ups?

-Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10) -Jobert- is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I incorporate both into my back workout. The two motions aren't going to be exactly the same, so I'm assuming that it would be beneficial to do both chin ups and bent over rows on your back day.
    2008 Recomp Contest Results ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=110947661

REDuction Log ~ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=229000851#post229000851

microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) microsize is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by unreal23 View Post
    Hi all, I searched for this info already and could not find anything exactly relevant. Right now, my back regimen consists of mostly bent-over rows with db's / bb's, close grip chins and cable rows. I started performing wide-grip chins and pull-ups at home recently and started wondering: If I can perform 6 pullups unassisted, is this the same as 6 reps of bent-over bb rows of my own bodyweight? Would it be beneficial to replace some of machine / db rows with chin-ups?
    No to the first question. Yes to the second question.

_Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    you'll find very quickly that being able to pull/chin your bodyweight is far different from trying to row your bodyweight from a bent position.

also, the pull/chin up motion and rowing motion work two different planes (consider the position of your arms and the retraction of your scapulae when you're performing each of the movements).

so as jobert intimated, you'd be wise to not sacrifice one for the other.

unreal23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I guess I'll keep the rows in my workout. But I really feel like doing a couple of chins / pullups sets in the morning and evening at home would help me in the long run. Would this be too much? Here's my back / bicep routine (2 days rest in between):

5x5 chins (wide / narrow)
    5x5 row w/ bb or db
    3x10 bicep curls
    3x5 deadlift.
    3x5 face pull

_Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) _Smitty_ has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by unreal23 View Post
    Would this be too much?
    absolutely not.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    try a variety of exercises.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    try a variety of exercises.
    Oh but that would be too simple.