Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Drinking (whole) Raw Eggs. Good? Bad? Dangerous?

I've heard a bunch of conflicting info about the benefits of drinking raw eggs.

It is attractive to me for the following reasons:
    Eggs are cheap , drinking eggs is an easy protein+ fat meal, it tastes pretty good to me.

I have heard two things regarding to absorbtion.

school of though #1 drinking raw eggs is a superior way to get their protein because the proteins do not get denatured from the cooking process (e.g. fried eggs supposedly get denatured somewhat)
    #2 eating cooking eggs makes their protein more absorbable by your body

I have also read some **** about albumen binding to biotin and excessive drinking of eggwhites gives you a biotin deficiency. but also egg yolks are high in biotin, so if you drink yolk+white is the biotin concern voided?

I don't have reps to give, but i think it would be awesome to see some science put this myth to bed.

Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000) Riskity is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your body denatures the protein anyway, so cooking is good. It allows you to absorb more protein, and there's less risk of salmonella.

Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the answer.

does anybody with a background in biology have any info?

magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000) magicmatt is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Lies View Post
    thanks for the answer.

does anybody with a background in biology have any info?
    raw eggs only have about half of the protein available. go to the store and buy pasturized egg whites. they make shakes taste amazing almost like mixing with milk. 8 oz has 26 grams of protein too.

thanks for the idea. is the idea with the pasteurized egg whites that the protein has been sufficiently cooked or denatured so that it is more bio-available?

I honestly have been googling and googling and can't find any scientific basis for why uncooked egg is only 51% bioavailable whereas a cooked egg is said to be 91%

AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've mixed raw eggs with orange juice before and it tasted good but I'd do what one said and mixed pasteurized egg whites instead.

Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Trans_Isomer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    don't drink raw eggs

its more bioavailable when cooked

chance of salmonella poisoning

robs your body of b-vitamins / biotin i believe when consumed raw

Location: Fukkoffville, FDA sucks, Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands
    Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    is the idea with the pasteurized egg whites that the protein has been sufficiently cooked or denatured so that it is more bio-available?
    Yes. Plus you're not ingesting asstons of avidin.

Originally Posted by Trans_Isomer View Post
    chance of salmonella poisoning

robs your body of b-vitamins / biotin i believe when consumed raw
    Salmonella is rare; something like 1 in 100,000 or 1 in a million.
    It's only the biotin that binds to the avidin.

Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000)
    I thought that the Avidin Protein in the egg white has to be brought up to at least 120 deg f for the body to absorb. thus making more since to use pasturized eggs or egg whites as opposed to raw.

ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Denaturing a protein is not a bad thing somehow people associate denature with destroy and that is not the case.... When you are denaturing a protein you are changing its conformational shape (or "unfolding" it) this is why a raw egg white is clear, and a cooked egg white is white (it changes the properties and appearance of the molecules). Proteins get denatured by excessive heat or acidity and they get denatured any time you eat a protein containing meal by the HCL in your stomach. In many cases (such as in this one) it increases not decreases bioavailabity.

Salmonella may be a concern with uncooked, unpasteurized eggs. So if you buy the pasteurized kind you can have them raw, I just think cooking them would be better.
    THE ONLY THING HOLDING YOU BACK IS YOURSELF

Mission Lean Mass, on the Road to Improvement.
    Part II of my journey to being the best bodybuilder I can be and plowing plateus:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=77380163#post77380163

The best supplement I have ever purchased:
    www.biolayne.com

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    thanks for the idea. is the idea with the pasteurized egg whites that the protein has been sufficiently cooked or denatured so that it is more bio-available?

I honestly have been googling and googling and can't find any scientific basis for why uncooked egg is only 51% bioavailable whereas a cooked egg is said to be 91%
    Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques

1 in 20,000 - 30,000 may contain Salmonella.

As for avidin, from what I've seen, avidin irreversibly denatures at 65-70 degrees C. Some companies say that the pasteurization temperature isn't high enough to break the bond (http://www.betterneggs.com/faq/answer.cfm?qid=17), while others claim it does (http://www.eggwhitesint.com/go/bodybuilding-protein)
    Last edited by in10city; 10-07-2008 at 06:00 PM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RemainDieHard is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post
    Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by Stable Isotope Techniques

As for avidin, from what I've seen, avidin irreversibly denatures at 65-70 degrees C. Some companies say that the pasteurization temperature isn't high enough to break the bond (http://www.betterneggs.com/faq/answer.cfm?qid=17), while others claim it does (http://www.eggwhitesint.com/go/bodybuilding-protein)
    Can you break that study down for us? I looked over it and it didn't have a conclusion and the rest was not clear without reading the whole thing.

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sorry to backtrack, folks, but what is avidin and why should I care about it in the context of egg consumption?
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ben2285 View Post
    Denaturing a protein is not a bad thing somehow people associate denature with destroy and that is not the case.... When you are denaturing a protein you are changing its conformational shape (or "unfolding" it) this is why a raw egg white is clear, and a cooked egg white is white (it changes the properties and appearance of the molecules). Proteins get denatured by excessive heat or acidity and they get denatured any time you eat a protein containing meal by the HCL in your stomach. In many cases (such as in this one) it increases not decreases bioavailabity.

Salmonella may be a concern with uncooked, unpasteurized eggs. So if you buy the pasteurized kind you can have them raw, I just think cooking them would be better.
    so is there any difference between cooked and uncooked in terms of bioavailability?
    thomas is ugly

ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ben2285 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by magnetix View Post
    so is there any difference between cooked and uncooked in terms of bioavailability?
    yes, in this case cooked is much more bioavailable... It is also cited in that study which showed the bioavailability of eggs almost doubles from around 50% (raw) to a bit above 90% when cooked.

Both taken from the study posted:

"The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ? 0.8 and 51.3 ? 9.8% , respectively."

"In summary, using the 15N-dilution technique we demonstrated that the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment. "
    Last edited by ben2285; 10-07-2008 at 09:57 PM.
    THE ONLY THING HOLDING YOU BACK IS YOURSELF

Mission Lean Mass, on the Road to Improvement.
    Part II of my journey to being the best bodybuilder I can be and plowing plateus:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=77380163#post77380163

The best supplement I have ever purchased:
    www.biolayne.com

DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DanMan89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what about like under cooked or warmed in microwave eggs.
    soo is it good or bad to drinkem ?
    i have had like a carton of egg whites a few times but i think they were like heat treated or something.
    i am dedicated this time, i will not quit for anything.

Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000) Kayola is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DanMan89 View Post
    what about like under cooked or warmed in microwave eggs.
    soo is it good or bad to drinkem ?
    i have had like a carton of egg whites a few times but i think they were like heat treated or something.
    if the egg carton says pasteurized then your fine. that means its been brought up to temp.

magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ben2285 View Post
    yes, in this case cooked is much more bioavailable... It is also cited in that study which showed the bioavailability of eggs almost doubles from around 50% (raw) to a bit above 90% when cooked.

Both taken from the study posted:

"The true ileal digestibility of cooked and raw egg protein amounted to 90.9 ? 0.8 and 51.3 ? 9.8% , respectively."

"In summary, using the 15N-dilution technique we demonstrated that the assimilation of cooked egg protein is efficient, albeit incomplete, and that the true ileal digestibility of egg protein is significantly enhanced by heat-pretreatment. "
    goddamn and i wanted to start raw egg shake drinking.
    thomas is ugly

Well, after all that info there goes the placebo effects anyways.

Pasteurized eggs solve the avidin/biotin problem, but what about the bioavailability. It doesn't make sense that a "raw" pasteurized egg would have the same bioavailability of say a hard-boiled one

Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Caleb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
    Can you break that study down for us? I looked over it and it didn't have a conclusion and the rest was not clear without reading the whole thing.
    Not trying to be an @$$ here man, but honestly... He linked it for you, if you are curious, the least you could do was read it.

Why would you want someone elses opinion of the facts, without reading all the facts yourself first? That is how missinformation/misinterpretation of the facts get so spread around.
    Caleb Donnelly

I wrote this.

-Teamwork is good,
    you can blame someone else

Would putting lemon juice in with a few raw eggs and shaking it up good be sufficient to denature some of the protein? Acid does denature protein after all...

Location: Fukkoffville, FDA sucks, Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands
    Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000) Beejis60 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Would putting lemon juice in with a few raw eggs and shaking it up good be sufficient to denature some of the protein? Acid does denature protein after all...
    Or you could do just as everyone says around here and simply buy the pasteurized whites or cook them yourself.
    And I don't think the acidity of lemon juice is high enough to knockout the avidin.

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Beejis60 View Post
    I don't think the acidity of lemon juice is high enough to knockout the avidin.
    Not unless his lemon juice contains guanidinium chloride.
    Last edited by NO HYPE; 10-09-2008 at 03:29 AM.
    ~

Wherever progression lacks.... regress can be found in abundance.

ianfunkinhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfunkinhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfunkinhard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by magicmatt View Post
    raw eggs only have about half of the protein available. go to the store and buy pasturized egg whites. they make shakes taste amazing almost like mixing with milk. 8 oz has 26 grams of protein too.
    Hey mate what is pasturized egg whites?

and where do you get those? like a health food store?

4Burgers2Fries1DietSoda dochall22's Avatar
    dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500) dochall22 is not very helpful. (-500)
    You get more energy if you swallow eggs whole, including shell.
    Jan 1 - ???

Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Loomy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ianfunkinhard View Post
    Hey mate what is pasturized egg whites?

and where do you get those? like a health food store?
    they sell some **** in the egg section in cartons that has color and flavor and bull**** added so people can make easy fake omlets "EGG BEATERS" for instance

next to that stuff will be a similar carton of ONLY plain egg whites

note that this is probably not a monetarily efficient way to get a lot of protein.

uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) uxoriouswidow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Serpens Aeon View Post
    Sorry to backtrack, folks, but what is avidin and why should I care about it in the context of egg consumption?
    It binds to, and thereby prevents the absorbtion of, biotin by your GIT.
    Last edited by uxoriouswidow; 10-09-2008 at 04:40 AM.

javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100) javyn is not very well liked. (-100)
    I didn't need all those studies to eventually realize cooked is better. I can only eat half as many eggs cooked as raw, so I assumed right then that there's more I'm getting out of them cooked if I'm filling up on fewer eggs.

Still though, mixing raw eggs and maple syrup into a protein shake tastes amazing!

C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000) C-Squared is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by magicmatt View Post
    WOW @ actually RECOMMENDING pasteurized products, good lord...

labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) labradarep is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by in10city View Post

You beat me to it. That is a really good article about protein absorption.