drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Got Tendonitis...Should I stop lifting??

I've had tendonitis in my elbow for about three months now. I stopped lifting and used all the advice I have seen in the forum. I have talked to a doctor and a therapist who have told me to stretch daily, rest as much as possible, and ice it a couple of times a day. It doesn't hurt as bad as it used to, but I can't stand not being able to workout. I took off 4 weeks then came back and it hurt when I did curls. So I took off another 4 weeks. I did a light workout yesterday including bench press, shoulder press, and rows. Decided againt doing biceps and triceps so I wouldn't do any more damage to the elbow. I felt good, no pain.

So here's the bottom line question. Can I lift while I have the tendonitis or should I just stop until it heals completely, or can I keep lifting and focus on the exercises that don't hurt?

I appreciate the feedback!!
    Building body, mind, and spirit.

bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bluebomber85 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i had tendonitis of the rotator cuff.. at physio they gave me stretches to do daily.. i eased off the lifting completely for a few weeks then slowly eased back in whilest continuing the stretches. everythings a-ok now! good luck brah!

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Do what is not painful, but sounds like you have not had a proper rehab and treatment.
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100) rspowers is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by drj721 View Post
    I've had tendonitis in my elbow for about three months now. I stopped lifting and used all the advice I have seen in the forum. I have talked to a doctor and a therapist who have told me to stretch daily, rest as much as possible, and ice it a couple of times a day. It doesn't hurt as bad as it used to, but I can't stand not being able to workout. I took off 4 weeks then came back and it hurt when I did curls. So I took off another 4 weeks. I did a light workout yesterday including bench press, shoulder press, and rows. Decided againt doing biceps and triceps so I wouldn't do any more damage to the elbow. I felt good, no pain.

So here's the bottom line question. Can I lift while I have the tendonitis or should I just stop until it heals completely, or can I keep lifting and focus on the exercises that don't hurt?

Go to a PT. Take 3-5 weeks off completely. Then start PT. That will take another few weeks where they will stretch you, do ultrasound and start you doing really light exercises with 1-5 pound weights. You will progress from there. Can take as little as 1 month and as long as 6 months to recover. Most likely you will be back to the gym in 3-4 months....but once you are recovered, dont do the same thing that caused the tendonitis in the first place.

drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drj721 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks everyone for your input. I have an appointment with a chiropractor in the morning to get Active Release therapy. I have heard good things about it for tendonitis so I thought I would try it.

I'll let you all know if it works.

CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CntrMas10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

It's up to you buddy, and kinda in the same situation as you. I had a strained MCL ligament in my elbow that has now a lot of fluid built up around the ligament. Mine has been bothering me now for over 7 weeks, and I only took off one week for it in that time frame. I kept on working out, doing everything else except Triceps. Biceps I would strictly use light weight, and no preacher since it would hurt the elbow region. I added a knee wrap to my elbow (couldn't find an actual elbow wrap to fit my arm properly) for support so I was able to lift everything else without pain. Since I did all this, caused me to have big amounts of fluid build up there like I said, and the bursa sac (think that's what the doc called it) was really swollen. My point in all this, I would just completely let it heal, and perhaps just stick to pounding your legs for a while. I know it will get to you mentally, since after all it's fun to do upper body more.

I noticed that my other body parts were being leaned on more from the elbow being non healthy. My right shoulder would hurt, my right shoulder blade would hurt, and my left elbow would hurt some since it was pretty much taking on more of the work from the right arm. Just my opinion on everything, and actually looking for more advice as well. Better to be off for little amount of time, then being out for 6-12 months is what I always think

deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10) deioces is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i had it and ive learned thru experience that doctors are morons. all i did was tape every day. then ice. then take 1 ibuprofin at day and at night.

fixed it in less than a week. of course it kept flarin up for a while durin wrestling but eventually stopped.

cant express how important it is to tape.
    In life, there is no "TRY" there is "DO" and "DIDN'T DO"

I don't TRY to train, I train as I DO.

Current Goal is 200lbs.

Presently 211lbs.

Previously 250lbs.

mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mvillanueva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you search this site you will find lots of good info. If youve had "tendonitis" for 3 months its not tendonitis its tendonosis. Two very different things that need to be treated differently. Read this link and learn how to fix it. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan13.htm

Originally Posted by mvillanueva View Post
    If you search this site you will find lots of good info. If youve had "tendonitis" for 3 months its not tendonitis its tendonosis. Two very different things that need to be treated differently. Read this link and learn how to fix it. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan13.htm
    Interesting. Thanks for the link.

72fins has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

same pain

Thanks everyone for your input. I have an appointment with a chiropractor in the morning to get Active Release therapy. I have heard good things about it for tendonitis so I thought I would try it.

I'll let you all know if it works.
    Did the therapy or any other suggestions help aforementioned condition? I just signed-up and am trying to find alternative to quitting bicep work due to elbow/forearm pain. Tks.

Okay, here's an update. I went to a chiropracter and he did the active release. It is a lot of pressure and stretching which hurt a lot. I did this for 3 weeks and really didn't see any big difference, accept for more flexibility. I would suggest a person with my condition to stretch a lot.

I began using the techniques desribed in the link above for tendonosis and this has been very helpful. I started doing some targeted exercises that stress the tendon to about a 5 or 6 pain level. I warmed and stretch well and then did a couple of sets of lighter weight and faster reps to build back tendon strength. I am at about 90% now and back lifting heavy.