ten2go has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it ok to eat my oatmeal before my workouts?

I'm STILL struggling with my program and I'm pretty much convinced it is my diet that needs the most work.

Back in July I cut out almost all of my gym classes (spinning, body pump, etc.) and focused on lifting heavy. I have seen some improvements in my arms but my belly is still soft and my thighs are flabby. I know I lost some inches because I was able to fit into some size 2s that I hadn't been able to get on before.

But, the size on the clothing doesn't matter if I'm still squishy!

My weakness is sugar. I can eat clean all day until late afternoon.

So, back to my original question: I usually have my oatmeal (with flaxseed and protein powder around 7 am. I get the kids ready for school and they catch the bus at 8:45 which gets me to the gym about 9 am. When I get home I have a protein shake.

I'm wondering if I should eat my oatmeal AFTER my workouts? Does it matter?

Also, I started adding my spinning classes back to see if I can burn some of this fat off that isn't budging. Is 3-4 hours of cardio too much a week? I'm trying to find a good balance!

Thanks!!

MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MollyD1016 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Having carbs (oatmeal) before you workout is actually a good idea it gives your muscles energy. The more energy you have the better your workout, anf the better the workout the better you results. You should also have some form of carb with your pro. shake after your workout too. It helps your muscles recover. I have a piece of fruit with my shake, I found that if I eat a balanced meal after my workout I am not as starving later in the day. If you think your diet is holding you back, post a day or too on here and everyone will offer advice.

Good luck!
    www.livewellbefitcoach.com
    www.********.com/livewellbefit

"If you believe, you can achieve." JLS

nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50) nunu713 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I definitely think its okay to eat before your AM workout. With as early as you get up, you should have something in your system before you get to the gym. If I was awake for 2 hours without eating anything, and then went to the gym, I'd be passing out from starvation.
    Hi, my name is Ellen, and I'm a peanut butter addict...

I do this because I can. I can because I want to. I want to because you said I couldn't.

fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10) fitnbeachy21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

what i would do is maybe switch it up instead of eating oatmeal before the gym because oatmeal is more of a complex carb which burns slower therefore whenever you get to the gym all you will be doing is burning off the first meal instead your fat storage areas....better yet eat a protein shake and a banana....the banana will give you energy...and it also is full of potassium which is great its one of the best carbs to eat before training, because since it is more of a simple carb you can burn it off quicker which then this will allow you to start burning fat in you fat storage areas once your in the gym .... and then post workout should be 1/2 cup of oatmeal & egg whites or another protein shake, hope this helps out a little bit

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's fine to have your oatmeal at that time in the a.m. It's great that you've added some cardio back into your program, but if you're not sticking to your eating plan than the cardio is not going to help.

Burning the fat is all about how true you stick to your eating plan.

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Absolutely. I eat the same thing
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Leggs2008 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OP: I would add some juice to the shake if you dont like to eat fruits per say. Me I add pineapple juice and it tastes great

Originally Posted by MollyD1016 View Post
    Having carbs (oatmeal) before you workout is actually a good idea it gives your muscles energy. The more energy you have the better your workout, anf the better the workout the better you results. You should also have some form of carb with your pro. shake after your workout too. It helps your muscles recover. I have a piece of fruit with my shake, I found that if I eat a balanced meal after my workout I am not as starving later in the day. If you think your diet is holding you back, post a day or too on here and everyone will offer advice.

Good luck!

ten2go has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it!

Kim, I know it is diet and I have GOT to stay clean. I tend to be an emotional eater and any little stress sends me right to sugar! I'm working on that. Once I can got 3 days without sugar I can go for weeks (well, until my cycle starts and that is a whole other issue! LOL).

Leggs...I LOVE fruit!

fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I ALWAYS eat oats/cottage cheese b4 my workouts and after. Then eat again within an hour of that...lol.

to help with the sugar cravings (because im totally off any sugar that isnt natural) try some raisins in your oats or pineapple in your cottage cheese.

ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50) ToraAdams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    when I start my day with oatmeal (slowish cooking not instant) I have the best day. I eat normally feel great and have lots of energy.

seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Having oatmeal before workout should be no problem. Oatmeal is any day good for the body. After workouts have some juice.
    Check out my progress and how I went from 157lbs to 191lbs in 9 months..

http://www.vincedelmontefitness.org

Bambino77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Overnite oat meal

Hi you can try. Overnite oatmeal with Greek yogur. It will give you the carbs and protein For your morning work out

You can find recepies on Google.
    Or
    Theyummilife.com

vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ten2go View Post
    I'm STILL struggling with my program and I'm pretty much convinced it is my diet that needs the most work.

Back in July I cut out almost all of my gym classes (spinning, body pump, etc.) and focused on lifting heavy. I have seen some improvements in my arms but my belly is still soft and my thighs are flabby. I know I lost some inches because I was able to fit into some size 2s that I hadn't been able to get on before.

But, the size on the clothing doesn't matter if I'm still squishy!

My weakness is sugar. I can eat clean all day until late afternoon.

So, back to my original question: I usually have my oatmeal (with flaxseed and protein powder around 7 am. I get the kids ready for school and they catch the bus at 8:45 which gets me to the gym about 9 am. When I get home I have a protein shake.

I'm wondering if I should eat my oatmeal AFTER my workouts? Does it matter?

Also, I started adding my spinning classes back to see if I can burn some of this fat off that isn't budging. Is 3-4 hours of cardio too much a week? I'm trying to find a good balance!

Thanks!!
    To answer your first question: it doesn't matter when you have the oatmeal. Personally I almost always have oats before my workouts (cause I hit the gym after breakfast), and sometimes I have another serving after. What matters more than carb timing would be your overall carb count for the day. Eating complex carbs before working out helps me sustain my energy better, but I also need carbs to recover after my workout so I eat em throughout the day.

To your second question: what is your fitness goal? You say you want to focus on lifting heavier. Doing cardio is absolutely fine and healthy, especially if you enjoy it. Just note that if your goal is to get stronger make sure you eat enough to compensate for the calories you burn; you need to eat a surplus of calories to gain muscle.

Hope I helped!
    "Without struggle there is no strength."

Forever bulking :(
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

IG: instagram.com/victorialazo

vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vlazo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Wait, I just realized this thread was from 2008. Lol
    "Without struggle there is no strength."

Forever bulking :(
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

IG: instagram.com/victorialazo

nyshh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nyshh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nyshh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nyshh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nyshh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nyshh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) nyshh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Some of the best foods I would eat before AM workouts

- Sweet Potato
    - Peanut Butter
    - Banana

old thread dig out w/e

RaineOdel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Me too but im seeing this in 2017 and it helped! Thanks

Registered User TheFuarkingBoss's Avatar
    TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000) TheFuarkingBoss is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ever tried fasting and then eating after workouts?

If ever I have to workout before midday I will just hit my workout fasted, feel the same if not better, then I can enjoy more calories after my workout when I'm hungry.
    Brah

WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WeeRocket is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There's nothing wrong with some sugar in your diet...cutting it out entirely could be sending you in the wrong direction by promoting intense cravings.

Personally, I would advise actually having some sugar after your workouts...as opposed to cutting it out entirely only to binge on it a week down the line.

Relatively flexible dieting is more effective and sustainable long term IMO.