zerogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Reintroducing carbs after keto

I've seen that the biggest problem people talk about when they come off a keto diet and add carbs back into their diet is that they have a lot of rapid fat gain, as well as water weight. But it seems that in a lot of cases they were going from a cut on keto to bulking, so they increased their calories at the same time as adding carbs back in. Then the recommendations were to slowly add carbs in, anywhere from 20-50g per week, usually pre or postworkout first.

If a person were to add carbs back in without the slow incrementation, wouldn't it be possible to do so without the fat gain as long as calories were still kept in a deficit? I'd still expect there to be water weight gained, but wouldn't that still avoid gaining fat? Would it help even more to increase cardio and to add something like ALA to the higher carb meals and slowly taper that off?

lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by zerogs View Post
    I've seen that the biggest problem people talk about when they come off a keto diet and add carbs back into their diet is that they have a lot of rapid fat gain, as well as water weight. But it seems that in a lot of cases they were going from a cut on keto to bulking, so they increased their calories at the same time as adding carbs back in. Then the recommendations were to slowly add carbs in, anywhere from 20-50g per week, usually pre or postworkout first.

If a person were to add carbs back in without the slow incrementation, wouldn't it be possible to do so without the fat gain as long as calories were still kept in a deficit? I'd still expect there to be water weight gained, but wouldn't that still avoid gaining fat? Would it help even more to increase cardio and to add something like ALA to the higher carb meals and slowly taper that off?
    Most of the time they freak out too. Usually on keto you always have that dry and lean appearance; carbs pull water into the muscle and underneath the skin and people mistake that for fat gain, when you've been on keto for a while your body will pull in as much of the carbs as it can until it adjusts. So, maybe start out at 100g and work your way up.

biggabriel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biggabriel has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

Originally Posted by lth View Post
    Most of the time they freak out too. Usually on keto you always have that dry and lean appearance; carbs pull water into the muscle and underneath the skin and people mistake that for fat gain, when you've been on keto for a while your body will pull in as much of the carbs as it can until it adjusts. So, maybe start out at 100g and work your way up.
    Good advise. The first 2 weeks at elast will all be water. Your face will blow up like a watermelon if you don't go easy. Thats a big reason why I don't advocate a total keto diet, even for comps.
    Make sure all the cabs you have are complex carbs too. No sugars, or you'll be getting wicked insulin spikes that will just put you to sleep.

HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10) HardWorkPaysof is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    like lth said, slowly introduce carbs back into your diet. do not start eating an excessive amount of carbs right off the bat
    Yessir.

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Add 25-30 grams per week until you are back to your 'normal' intake.

If you add carbs in too fast you will regret it.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

zerogs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is there still that much potential for fat gain even with calories kept in a deficit? I understand the water weight and don't have a problem with that, I just thought that as long as calories were kept in check, there wouldn't be the potential for rapid fat gain. I'm not planning on keeping the same meals that I had on keto and simply adding carbs to them, I'd reduce calories from fat to compensate for the added calories from the carbs.