Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Excess B vitamins a cause of insomnia?

I began taking a multivitamin for the first time recently. This multivitamin is called " GNC MEGA MEN"

It contains massive doses of some of the B vitamins, and I'm wondering if this can be causing my insomnia. I have been working my butt off in the gym, not consuming caffiene or other stimulants, and yet for the last 5 days I have only been able to sleep 4 hours. I'm waking up bleary eyed and becoming irritated with people, so please give me some advice.

Here is my concern :

Vitamin B-1 = 50mg = 3333%
    Vitamin B-2 = 50mg = 2941%
    Vitamin b-6 = 50mg = 2500%

Is that too much B vitamins? Also, there is 900 mg of both Lutein and Lycopene. If the B vitamins aren't the cause, could the Lutein or Lycopene be the cause?

Thanks guys.

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The B vitamins are all the soluble vitamins, except vitamin C. Excess is peed out because its water soluble.

You could have a food allergy to an ingredient, but insomnia is unlikely. Vitamin B6 is known to ENHANCE sleep.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin...erapeutic_uses
    Last edited by GregT; 10-04-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Christianyouth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hmm... ok thanks GregT. Very helpful

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes B vits can since some are cofactors in the production of brain-stimulating substances. I'm not going to look at the ingredients, but I can imagine that there are other things in there as well that could be additive.

But if you just wne t cold turkey on stimulants, that may have something to do with it too.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10) vitaminjunkie is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Christianyouth View Post
    I began taking a multivitamin for the first time recently. This multivitamin is called " GNC MEGA MEN"

It contains massive doses of some of the B vitamins, and I'm wondering if this can be causing my insomnia. I have been working my butt off in the gym, not consuming caffiene or other stimulants, and yet for the last 5 days I have only been able to sleep 4 hours. I'm waking up bleary eyed and becoming irritated with people, so please give me some advice.

Here is my concern :

Is that too much B vitamins? Also, there is 900 mg of both Lutein and Lycopene. If the B vitamins aren't the cause, could the Lutein or Lycopene be the cause?

Thanks guys.

I sure you meant 900mcg of Lutein and Lycopene because those dosages are off the charts. Your fine with a 50mg b-complex though. And I think that 50mg b-complex is per 2 pills, so it's actually 25mg per pill.

Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Silver_Hydra has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm aware that B-complex vitamins are predominately involved in energy release (sorry no study to quote) so they could theoretically release too much energy, but in all honesty I severly doubt this, i've read no literature to back up that claim even a little bit.

but you also said that you're working your ass off in the gym,

Check for overtraining? and as obvious as it sounds, you might benefit from some rest :P
    'Language is subjective, and all of our thoughts are formulated in language, it follows that all our thoughts are subjective, thus making all of our thoughts subject to bias. Admit your bias and talk with those who differ from you, only then can you truly understand something'

'Nutrition is more than a single compound taken at a single time, a single way with a single result.'

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Silver_Hydra View Post
    I'm aware that B-complex vitamins are predominately involved in energy release (sorry no study to quote) so they could theoretically release too much energy, but in all honesty I severly doubt this, i've read no literature to back up that claim even a little bit.

Check for overtraining? and as obvious as it sounds, you might benefit from some rest :P
    I would encourage further research, especially on B-12. As a side note, melatonin secretion is influenced by B12 concentrations and has been used to normalize circadian rhythms and can influence sleep cycles. But there is a flip side as well.

But like I said, going cold-turkey with stims can mess with you as well.
    Last edited by in10city; 10-04-2008 at 10:19 AM.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Those are some crazy insane dosage levels, man. While they are water soluable...I can't imagine taking 100x+ the levels of RDA for those nutrients not causing some problems.

Getting B vitamins through a normal healthy diet is pretty easy. There really is no need to take a supplement like that. I'm amazed the FDA allows the sale of things like that.

Originally Posted by JC480 View Post
    Those are some crazy insane dosage levels, man. While they are water soluable...I can't imagine taking 100x+ the levels of RDA for those nutrients not causing some problems.

Getting B vitamins through a normal healthy diet is pretty easy. There really is no need to take a supplement like that. I'm amazed the FDA allows the sale of things like that.
    Well don't imagine. Because it doesn't.

Thanks guys!

It sounds like the B Vitamins aren't the cause for this. This means it is probably just over training. I'll take two days off and see if I can start getting some sleep again!

lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I lol'ed

The RDA is a joke, it's pretty much the bare minimum of each nutrient you need to prevent a deficiency.
    Boxing Promoter, keystonebox.com

IG/Twitter/Snap: lorinelise8 (stalk away)

JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JC480 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by lorinelise View Post
    I lol'ed

The RDA is a joke, it's pretty much the bare minimum of each nutrient you need to prevent a deficiency.
    And what do you base this opinion on?

Veg can't get big lolwut? Mr.Runner's Avatar
    Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Mr.Runner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Actually, the RDA's are bare MINIMUM requirements. Just enough to make sure you're not deficient in them.

Yeah. What he said.
    I only seem like I know what I'm talking about, because I only talk about things that I know about.

"One farmer says to me: 'You cannot live on vegetable foods solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' walking all the while he talks behind his oxen, who with vegetable made bones jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."

-Henry David Thoreau

lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lorinelise is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    And what do you base this opinion on?
    Umm...it's not an opinion.

"Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA): the daily dietary intake level of a nutrient considered sufficient to meet the requirements of nearly all (97?98%) healthy individuals in each life-stage and gender group."

"Sufficient adjective: of a quantity that can fulfill a need or requirement but without being abundant."

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I lol'ed

Originally Posted by Mr.Runner View Post
    Actually, the RDA's are bare MINIMUM requirements. Just enough to make sure you're not deficient in them.

Yeah. What he said.
    Umm...it's not an opinion.

"Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA): the daily dietary intake level of a nutrient considered sufficient to meet the requirements of nearly all (97?98%) healthy individuals in each life-stage and gender group."

"Sufficient adjective: of a quantity that can fulfill a need or requirement but without being abundant."

Ok, so where's the data that shows that supplying more than the minimum amount has benefits? Which vitamins benefit from above RDA dosing?
    No sir, I don't like it.

Originally Posted by Mr. Horse View Post
    Ok, so where's the data that shows that supplying more than the minimum amount has benefits? Which vitamins benefit from above RDA dosing?
    Where did I say anything about increased benefit? My only point was that exceeding the RDA for B-vitamins will not cause harm.

Misc. OTO-HNS consult Dr. Horse's Avatar
    Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Dr. Horse has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Where did I say anything about increased benefit? My only point was that exceeding the RDA for B-vitamins will not cause harm.
    I thought it was implicit in your statement. You called the RDA a "joke" and then called it the "bare minimum".
    No sir, I don't like it.

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm sure you know the answer. For instance, niacin - cholesterol. General health vs. clinical ?

I thought it was implicit in your statement. You called the RDA a "joke" and then called it the "bare minimum".
    I do believe that the RDA is a joke, it is based on minimal requirements with an added padding of ~66%.

How about vitamin C?

The current recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin C for adult nonsmoking men and women is 60 mg/d, which is based on a mean requirement of 46 mg/d to prevent the deficiency disease scurvy. However, recent scientific evidence indicates that an increased intake of vitamin C is associated with a reduced risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease, and cataract, probably through antioxidant mechanisms. It is likely that the amount of vitamin C required to prevent scurvy is not sufficient to optimally protect against these diseases. Because the RDA is defined as "the average daily dietary intake level that is sufficient to meet the nutrient requirement of nearly all healthy individuals in a group," it is appropriate to reevaluate the RDA for vitamin C. Therefore, we reviewed the biochemical, clinical, and epidemiologic evidence to date for a role of vitamin C in chronic disease prevention. The totality of the reviewed data suggests that an intake of 90?100 mg vitamin C/d is required for optimum reduction of chronic disease risk in nonsmoking men and women. This amount is about twice the amount on which the current RDA for vitamin C is based, suggesting a new RDA of 120 mg vitamin C/d.
    At least they're attempting to change it now....

persian123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    same happen to me i thought it was the hydroxycut then i stop tacking the hydroxycut and drink only the vitamin and i was able to sleep only for 4 hr a day and it was like that for almost a week

bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000) bartolomei is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Christianyouth View Post

Here is my concern :

The maximal dose of vitamin that does not cause any symptoms is called Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL). Doses of vitamin B1 and B2 more than 10 times as high as you mentioned have not been associated with any side effects, so the UL has not even been set.

Vitamin B6 in doses greater than 200 mg/day can cause - sleepiness.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins

Lycopene, lutein, and zeaxanthin
    "No toxicities have been reported."
    http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/dieta...ls/carotenoids

But there are also no proven benefits of such high doses in healthy people, so why bother with all this?

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Silver_Hydra View Post

Please, stop.

@ OP: From experience, having a multivitamin at night messes with my sleep, so if that's the case, try having it in the morning and observe results.

Also, did any other variables change when you've started taking vitamins?
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke