Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

National Health Educators Certification

The master exam is multiple choice, true and false, it says that on their website. The master trainer program is for professionals with over five years experience so you shouldn?t need to study for it; you should only need a refresher on some of the topics that will be on the exam, that?s why I got one. My study guide was perfect because it only focused on what was going to be on the exam, nothing else. It sounds as though you are looking for a study guide/reference guide textbook with a lot more educational content. I think their level one is like 500 pages, but that?s because it?s for beginners and so it covers everything, much like the NASM or ISSA personal trainer study guides. As far as the price, I think they keep everything expensive so that they do not turn into another ACE or AFAA. There are plenty of cheap programs you can enroll in, if you are short on cash. Personally, I don?t think $300 is a lot of money. Maybe for a high school kid, working part-time at the local pizza joint it is, but for a professional, give me a break.

MattRuns has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MattRuns has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thank you.

Thank you for the reply. I must have missed that test info on the website and I will take another look. I'm still not sure how the study guide can have only the information that will be on a specific test; it sounds like there are 10 different study guides, one to go with each exam. I purchased the study guide before I signed up for a test date, but I suppose they are still matching the two. That is a very unusual practice, but that's their prerogative.

I must say, I don't know why you felt the need to scold me. I suppose I should have introduced myself first. I may be new to this discussion board but I am not new to the field. I generally don't rely on discussion boards for this type of information, but I found the available NHE resources lacking. For the record I am a master's level exercise physiologist with 23 years of experience in the field, classroom, and lab. I am now working on a PhD in Human Movement Science. I am a CSCS; despite my background I studied diligently for several months for that exam. I took advantage of all the study materials from NSCA to make sure I was confident and well prepared. That is how I approach these challenges, the same as I have done in my academic and athletic careers.

As far as giving you a break, $300 for a 500 page tome may not be out of line, but for a list of simplistic definitions (filled with grammatical errors I might add) I think it is excessive. I was not looking for a full blown study guide or a cheap certification. I do not need this certification for my career, only as a requirement for a potential job. My point was that I was disappointed in that the material provided was not actually valuable to me and I regret having purchased it given my financial situation. Especially so now that I hear first hand from you how easy the test should be given my background. I don't take those things for granted by the way; I do know college professors that have failed ACSM exams on the first take (due to overconfidence I suspect). I also recently lost my exercise research position due to budget cuts (which is why I am looking at the possibility of grading exams for NHE) so the kid at the pizza joint is in fact making more money than I am right now.

Thank you again for your response.

Matt

skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Have you seen the 2007 ACSM HFI study guide? Tons of grammatical errors. I think it's because they are study guides and not novels. Kinda like law reviews, they sometimes use a different way of writing. Spelling errors? So what. None of that's the point really. I just think a study guides only purpose is to help you study for a particular exam. Its only purpose is to help you pass the exam and that's really it. Mine helped me pass and so it was worth the money. If it doesn't help you pass the exam, then it isn't worth the money; I don't care if it contained 1000 pages.

I just think it's really sad to hear grown men whine about a few hundred bucks. If you're over 25 years old and you are still concerned about spending a few hundred bucks for some stupid book, then you've got real problems and its really no ones fault but your own.

We all go through rough times and that's nothing to be ashamed about. My attitude is, be a man, get off the ground, spend what you have to, and start moving forward again. Just don't bitch about it.
    Last edited by skyheart; 06-28-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by skyheart View Post
    Have you seen the 2007 ACSM HFI study guide? Tons of grammatical errors. I think it's because they are study guides and not novels. Kinda like law reviews, they sometimes use a different way of writing. Spelling errors? So what. None of that's the point really. I just think a study guides only purpose is to help you study for a particular exam. Its only purpose is to help you pass the exam and that's really it. Mine helped me pass and so it was worth the money. If it doesn't help you pass the exam, then it isn't worth the money; I don't care if it contained 1000 pages.

I just think it's really sad to hear grown men whine about a few hundred bucks. If you're over 25 years old and you are still concerned about spending a few hundred bucks for some stupid book, then you've got real problems and its really no ones fault but your own.

We all go through rough times and that's nothing to be ashamed about. My attitude is, be a man, get off the ground, spend what you have to, and start moving forward again. Just don't bitch about it.
    Amen! I would spend $1000 for a certification just to be in a bracket that kept the weekend warriors away. If you want to spend $50 there are plenty of certification programs online that will sell you one. I don't think you even have to pay if you fail the exam (heaven forbid).

zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

NHE Certification

NHE Certification is an awesome credential to have and anyone that bothers to join a site, just to bitch, is obviuosly some loser who was just proven by NHE that he shouldn't even be in our industry. I wish more programs were as hard as theirs to achieve because if they were, we wouldn't have as many fly-by-night trainers.
    Blood DIEmonds are not forever.

cestyrose has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would you be willing to sell your study guide?

Originally Posted by cestyrose View Post
    Would you be willing to sell your study guide?
    From what I understand, content is refreshed and added every quarter, so it's like a one time fee that enables you to have the latest edition every time it refreshes. I really like mine and so I won't give it up, but I've seen some on ebay. They go pretty fast though and because the bids are so aggressive, the price wasn't much cheaper.

WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    This company is unscrupulous. You amazingly won't pass the test unless you purchase their study guide, which happens to run $150.00 after a discount. I was studying for the ACSM and gave the NHE test a shot because it was free as I signed up supposedly for a job, and even being an Exercise Physiologist and getting questions like "Name a vitamin" on the test, I somehow didn't pass, but because I didn't purchase the study guide they can't show me what I missed. The test was rediculously easy, asking questions about sprains, cpr, nutrition basics, and even some heart issues. It's a joke, don't waste your time unless you plan to pay them for their certification.

zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10) zalesguy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is exactly why so many trainers like them. You can't just decide one morning to "sign up" for the exam, not know anything about their phiosophy or guidelines and expect to pass. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You are studying for the acsm exam and because you are, you should pass it, but to expect to pass everyone else's exam is asking a bit much. I would not hire a trainer who possessed a certification he/she did not have to study for. That would be the real joke. In other words, had you come on here boasting how you passed the NHE exam without even studying for it, I would have no respect for them because it would tell me that they were just giving their certifications away.... much like ACE. The ACE exam is one that anyone can sign up for with minimum experience and pass with a 90 percent. That is why I would never pay for an ACE certification.

Registered User michellemabelle's Avatar
    michellemabelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

passed without a study guide

I've been a trainer for two years and i have a b.s in exercise science. i signed up to take the nhe pt level two and passed without a study guide. I wouldn't agree that is was easy, because I had a pretty tough time with it but it was a really well but together test and I don't think it's impossible to pass without a study guide. You just need to know exercise science. I heard about them from two friends of mine, who also passed the nhe exams. one bought the study guide and passed the fitness nutrition exam and my other friend has a masters degree in exercise physiology and passed without a study guide like me.

I guess if you have an exercise science degree you could probably pass any fitness exam. Hell, you should be able to if you spent tens of thousands of dollars for that particular education. But I know someone who has a B.S. in exercise kinesiolgy and failed. This probably happens in every field. Isn't it true that half of all law degree students fail the bar exam their first time? They have a relating degree too. Maybe it depends on the individual. I guess some people are good exam takers and some are not.

djtabb00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

nhe certification exam guides

Anyone know of where I can find the exam guides cheap or borrow them from some one? I want to study as much a possible but the price for the guide is a little much now

heartsale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NHE Certification

You should only get them from nhe certification. I've heard that there are a lot of fake ones on craigslist. Their guides are exam specific so don't get fooled by letting someone sell you a generic one. They're not like ACE's, where one study guide works for everybody's exam. They have ten different exams and so there are ten different guides.

spinedrbsh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NHE study guide does anyone have one they would like to get rid of?

Does anyone have a NHE certication study guide that I could pick up? I will take the exam but want to use the study guide

Originally Posted by sarahlivian View Post
    I got a couple of those emails too and asked around before I got involved. Couple of the trainers at my gym are certified through national health educators and they said their exams are like trying to pass the bar exam. They got the study guide and said it really helped because there is no fee for retakes if you own a study guide. They showed my the study guide and it was amazing! Very different from what I'm used to. From what I've heard, the NHE personal trainer programs are pretty new but their study materials are the best I've seen. Their website is beautifully done and it's easy to navigate through which is the first sign of a well organized company. Unlike the ACE website that looks like it was designed in the 90's and is almost impossible to acquire any sort of specific information. I signed up for their volunteer program and i will be getting the study guide too. If you decide to do it too, make sure you get your confirmation email. Mine was sent to my junk folder on accident.

SNL

Originally Posted by spinedrbsh View Post
    Does anyone have a NHE certication study guide that I could pick up? I will take the exam but want to use the study guide
    You probably don't want to get a used one as it might not correlate to the exam you are going to be assigned. Each program has 10-15 different exams with correlating study guides.

I highly recommend the study guides if you feel you may need one because the exams are intense and the study guide is the only sure way of passing.

The exams are tougher than ACSM's.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)

NHE Certification study guides

The study guides are awesome with tons of useful information. Get one new and don't be cheap by trying to get a used one because the new ones have the latest information and updates.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

kinextions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

took exam today (6/26/10)

So i took the exam today and all i have to say is WOW.....
    Not sure how passing will make me a better trainer but it sure will prove I know definitions...lol.

Some weird question that I had no idea how to answer...

Pick the least correct answer fromt the following questions....

Hint: interruption in the blood
    A) blood supply B)migrane C)brain disease

Hint: Barbell
    A) barbell B)tricep C)hamstring

Hint: lower back
    A)press B)dumbell C)bent

Hint: Upper Back
    A)stand B)lat pulldown C)cable

Hint: child
    A)kneel B)thrust C)fist

I have a lot more of the questions if anyone wants to know more.....

Originally Posted by kinextions View Post
    So i took the exam today and all i have to say is WOW.....
    Not sure how passing will make me a better trainer but it sure will prove I know definitions...lol.

Some weird question that I had no idea how to answer...

Pick the least correct answer fromt the following questions....

Hint: interruption in the blood
    A) blood supply B)migrane C)brain disease

Hint: Barbell
    A) barbell B)tricep C)hamstring

Hint: lower back
    A)press B)dumbell C)bent

Hint: Upper Back
    A)stand B)lat pulldown C)cable

Hint: child
    A)kneel B)thrust C)fist

I have a lot more of the questions if anyone wants to know more.....
    Sorry for the late response brother. The exam is challenging, no doubt. Those questions were not on my exam, but I also have a copy of mine and here are the ones that stumped me:

12) Explain the relationships among body weight loss, dehydration, and increasing core temperature during exercise.

38) Explain the regulation of heart function based on chronotropic and inotropic regulation.

70) Explain why adding carbohydrate to a drink increases the rate of fluid absorption by the small intestine.

92) What is electromyography, and how is it being used in exercise-related research?

129) Define the sensitivity, specificity, and predictive value of clinical exercise testing.

The say they have 10 different exams per certification program but I met a guy online who grades their exams and he says they actually have 25 different exams! Mama Mia! Yours sounds as though it was a bit easier than mine. Oh well…

I saw your other post and I'll copy and paste.....

...anyways, good luck!

kinextions has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

level 2

Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    Sorry for the late response brother. The exam is challenging, no doubt. Those questions were not on my exam, but I also have a copy of mine and here are the ones that stumped me:

12) Explain the relationships among body weight loss, dehydration, and increasing core temperature during exercise.

38) Explain the regulation of heart function based on chronotropic and inotropic regulation.

70) Explain why adding carbohydrate to a drink increases the rate of fluid absorption by the small intestine.

92) What is electromyography, and how is it being used in exercise-related research?

129) Define the sensitivity, specificity, and predictive value of clinical exercise testing.

The say they have 10 different exams per certification program but I met a guy online who grades their exams and he says they actually have 25 different exams! Mama Mia! Yours sounds as though it was a bit easier than mine. Oh well…

I saw your other post and I'll copy and paste.....

...anyways, good luck!

I only did the Personal Training Level 2 test. my test was full of multiple choice, true/false and fill in the blank. What test did you take?

NHE Certfication exams

I took both the Master and level 2 and I have copies of both. Nether one had any of the questions you posted. I know from talking to others that some of the exams are much easier than others and I don't know if they factor in your application or what but I don't know of any other certfiication program that is as complex as theirs. The ACSM is hard but presented in simplier format.

willrayt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CoQ10 View Post
    Hey Everybody,

I'm taking this exam in about a month, and was wondering if anyone had any advice. I've been a personal trainer for about four years and have a handful of certifications, so I really don't feel that I need to purchase the study guide.

Is this test unique to the point where a study guide is necessary, or should I be able to pass with my current knowledge?

Also, is this certification widely-accepted?

Thanks,
    C10
    does anyone know how to get a NHE study guide?????

willrayt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by willrayt View Post
    does anyone know how to get a NHE study guide?????
    I need one. does anyone know how to get a NHE study guide?? cheapest way please

Originally Posted by willrayt View Post
    I need one. does anyone know how to get a NHE study guide?? cheapest way please
    You can apply to get a used one. There's a link on their site. Their guides are state-of-the art. The best I've seen.

danielgchap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A copy...

I took both the Master and level 2 and I have copies of both. Nether one had any of the questions you posted. I know from talking to others that some of the exams are much easier than others and I don't know if they factor in your application or what but I don't know of any other certfiication program that is as complex as theirs. The ACSM is hard but presented in simplier format.

would you mind sending me a copie of your Master please???

The are encoded for one user. it will get deactivated if it is shared and then you have to pay a fee to get in re-activated. Besides, there are several different programs with coorelating guides. You cant' possibly know which exam you are getting and so yo ucan't possibly know you are using the correct guide. This is so people don't sell their guides on craigslist or ebay. The business aspect of how they do things is very impressive.

sarahgrayavon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am taking it in a few months....do you have astudy guide you want to sell? Or do I have to buy it new?
    Originally Posted by zalesguy View Post
    It's a legitimate certification. It ranks up there with ACSM. The Master trainer program will be harder than anything you've ever taken so don't think just because you know your stuff that you will automatically pass. I failed it twice and I have a BS in exercise physiology.

mylerfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello Matt so how is it to work for NHE? Im going through the process now and I would like to know more

thanks
    Cody

Originally Posted by mylerfitness View Post
    Hello Matt so how is it to work for NHE? Im going through the process now and I would like to know more

thanks
    Cody
    Hey Cody... you work for NASM right?

What's going on with them? I have friends who have had a lot of problems with NASM and they also have an F rating with the BBB. Then I heard they moved to a cheaper, smaller place in AZ?

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...as-CA-13167350

Originally Posted by zalesguy View Post
    Hey Cody... you work for NASM right?

What's going on with them? I have friends who have had a lot of problems with NASM and they also have an F rating with the BBB. Then I heard they moved to a cheaper, smaller place in AZ?

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...as-CA-13167350
    NHE has a non-member A rating... which means it's a true rating, not one that was purchased through membership.

mylerfitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    NHE has a non-member A rating... which means it's a true rating, not one that was purchased through membership.
    Hey there sorry for my late reply I was teaching at a Career College and I taught the NASM Program I really havent heard anything bad about NASM here isn Dallas every gym will hire you on the spot if you have that cert let along their CES and PES but heck you never know? I am in the middle of trying to get a job with NHE it really seems like a great company I hope it works out I would love to speak to someone that is or has worked for NHE