Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Scottish & Proud Hulston Prickle's Avatar
    Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Using allpro's Simple Beginner's Routine

This is a workout journal based on allpro's Beginner's Workout posted here:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

I want to follow it closely and not make any alterations or substitutes so I can approach something close to scientific. I am executing every exercise with a barbell and free weights. I work out at home in my garage, and I have a standard set rather than Olympic set.

I'll give you some background. I'm 31 years old, 6'1" and 205 pounds. I have weight trained for 2 years now with varying degrees of success. I took off about 2 or 3 months at the beginning of the year because I moved, and the labor power consisted entirely of my wife and I. More recently I completed a 2 month 3x5 style program and made huge gains in strength. True, for many of you these are paltry amounts, but they are new highs for me. I don't have my workout notebook in front of me, but I remember I benched 155, squatted 165, and deadlifted 205 by the end of the cycle. Yeah, not real great but I was proud to lift this much, considering I?m a 31 year old who prior to 2 years ago did nearly no physical activity since college, and hadn't lifted a weight since high school.

I took a week off and then last Friday I figured out my working weight for each of the 7 exercises allpro mentions. My numbers are extremely humbling:

Overhead Barbell Press: 75#
    Flat BB Press: 100#
    Bent Over BB Row: 100#
    BB Curl: 40#
    Squat: 115#
    Calf Raise: 100#
    Stiff Leg Deadlift: 45#

Yeah, sad. However, here's a chance for anyone on this board to see someone actually perform a routine as written, and although not a true "beginner", someone without inflated ego trip/lie numbers.
    Last edited by Hulston Prickle; 09-30-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hulston Prickle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Day One (9/29/08)
    Overhead Barbell Press: 75# 2x8
    Flat BB Press: 100# 2x8
    Bent Over BB Row: 100# 2x8
    BB Curl: 40# 2x8
    Squat: 115# 2x8
    Calf Raise: 100# 2x8
    Stiff Leg Deadlift: 45# 2x8

Plus warmup sets as prescribed by allpro. The only concession I made was to put the exercises in Steve Reeeves prescribed order, which has always worked for me since my upper body is historically weaker.

Overall it went well, and I completed every rep and set in about 45 minutes. I never rest long between sets during hypertrophy training, maybe a minute or as long as it takes me to set up the bar for the next exercise.

I eat four times a day, concentrating on extra carbs on workout days. I don't eat the same thing everyday, but it's something like this:

Breakfast: 1 cup of uncooked oats with honey and milk plus scoop of egg protein and whole flax seed, 2 hardboiled eggs, 1 cup of coffee with nondairy creamer and aspartame, and a multi vitamin plus potassium pill and liver pill. If I don?t take extra potassium I get wicked Charlie horses at night.

Lunch: Usually chicken and potato or brown rice on workout days, chicken and salad on non-workout days. I take a Omega 3 pill and liver pill

I work out when I get home from work, so it's usually from 6:00-6:45 pm. I've experimented with having a bowl of oatmeal at 3:30 or so at work for extra workout energy, and that helps.

Preworkout is ON's CGT-10 mixed with room temp grape juice 20 minutes or so before workout

Postworkout is CGT-10 mixed with Gatorade (room temp), and I take another multi vitamin and some BCAA pills. I tried the whey post workout thing for nearly a year and never noticed any difference. Whey just never did much for me. On the other hand, the CGT-10 mixed with Gatorade and BCAAs has correlated with good gains.

Dinner is usually chicken or beef with brown rice, wheat pasta, or something similar. I sometimes grill up a couple turkey burgers on my Foreman.

Before bed snack is usually cottage cheese, peanut butter mixed with egg protein powder, yogurt mixed with protein powder, or a casein shake. For awhile I did this deal with peanut butter, protein powder, nuts, and heavy whipping cream which was fantastic.

Sometimes during the day I'll eat a couple pieces of fruit between meals. On non workout days I?ll eat more green vegetable, usually broccoli and spinach.

I work a 9-5 desk job. On off days I walk causally, power walk sometimes, or do some light yard work. No hardcore/jacked up cardio.

There's some background, bio, meal, day one workout information to digest. Join me for day 2 when we go to 10% less working weight for each set.
    Last edited by Hulston Prickle; 09-30-2008 at 10:40 AM.

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Subscribed.

GO GET IT!!!!

I Have Teh Beautiful Wife jwdjrs's Avatar
    jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Subbed, best of luck man

Day 2

In order to figure out my day 2 weight I had to do some creative math. For instance, my 115 working weight for squats works out to be 103.5 with 10% less. The smallest plates I have are 1.25 pounds, so I came up with 102.5 instead. My 40 pound curls reduced to 36, so I rounded down to 35. My stiff leg deadlift reduced to 40.5, so I rounded to 40.

Here's what I did:

Overhead BB Press: 67.5# 2x8
    Flat Bench Press: 90# 2x8
    BB Row: 90# 2x8
    BB Curls: 35# 2x8
    Squats: 102.5# 2x8
    Calf Raises: 90# 2x8
    SLDL: 40# 2x8

Plus all the necessary 1/4 and 1/2 warmup sets.

Overall it went well. I completed every rep and set, and had plenty of gas left in the tank.

No cardio so far this week, but I might walk some tomorrow and this weekend, plus some yard work and I might start winter planning around the house (checking the roof and windows, etc...)

I hear this plan gets harder as it progresses, so I'm a little nervous.

carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Subscribed

Love the thread, I am doinfg same routine so its good to see what others think of it and how they are doing. I like the idea of putting the Upper body before the legs if your upper body is weaker (which mine is), but how do your squats go then ? I tend to put them first followed by bench, then SLDL as I find these the most draining and thought I wouldnt be able to do them if I was sapped from the upper body stuff - dont know whether to change it now tho? HELP SOMEONE LOL...

Good luck tho mate, sounds like you are doing well - I have just started the second cycle and it does get harder.
    To talk without thinking is to shoot without aiming

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. - All Pro

all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) all pro is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Hulston Prickle View Post
    In order to figure out my day 2 weight I had to do some creative math. For instance, my 115 working weight for squats works out to be 103.5 with 10% less. The smallest plates I have are 1.25 pounds, so I came up with 102.5 instead. My 40 pound curls reduced to 36, so I rounded down to 35. My stiff leg deadlift reduced to 40.5, so I rounded to 40.

Here's what I did:

Overhead BB Press: 67.5# 2x8
    Flat Bench Press: 90# 2x8
    BB Row: 90# 2x8
    BB Curls: 35# 2x8
    Squats: 102.5# 2x8
    Calf Raises: 90# 2x8
    SLDL: 40# 2x8

Plus all the necessary 1/4 and 1/2 warmup sets.

Overall it went well. I completed every rep and set, and had plenty of gas left in the tank.

No cardio so far this week, but I might walk some tomorrow and this weekend, plus some yard work and I might start winter planning around the house (checking the roof and windows, etc...)

I hear this plan gets harder as it progresses, so I'm a little nervous.
    When it comes to the weight selection, don't sweat the small stuff. I always round down.

carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50) carl1174 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by all pro View Post
    When it comes to the weight selection, don't sweat the small stuff. I always round down.
    Really ? I've been rounding up (perhaps that why I'm getting the DOMS pretty bad). Cheers for the advice though - sorry HP didnt mean to hijack your thread just seemed like good info LOL...

Originally Posted by carl1174 View Post
    Love the thread, I am doinfg same routine so its good to see what others think of it and how they are doing. I like the idea of putting the Upper body before the legs if your upper body is weaker (which mine is), but how do your squats go then ? I tend to put them first followed by bench, then SLDL as I find these the most draining and thought I wouldnt be able to do them if I was sapped from the upper body stuff - dont know whether to change it now tho? HELP SOMEONE LOL...

Good luck tho mate, sounds like you are doing well - I have just started the second cycle and it does get harder.
    I recommend putting upper body first (or any of your weaknesses) if that's your weakness. In the past doing the internet recommended squats first, my legs progrogressed but my upper body went nowhere. I don't have any problem with putting squats toward the end, but then again I don't use that much weight and I've conditioned myself to handle squats later.

For SLDL I tend go on the light side so that I make sure to stress my hamstrings rather than my lower back and shoulders, so I don't sweat them that much. For standard deadlift, sure I load up the weight, but this is a different move with a different focus.

Thanks for the good luck-I'm glad other people are giving full body workouts a try!

I need to update for day three (Friday 10/3/08), but I'll have to do that later when I have more time. I'll summarize to say I completed every rep and set doing 80% of my working set.

Yeh I am due to start week 2 cycle two tomorrow so will put squats at the end and SLDL just before them. I have been going quite heavyfor me LOL) on SLDL and youre right the lower back takes a pounding. would you recommend putting them before squats or after at the end of the work out ??? Good to see you got the 80% good work ! !

I would definately do squats before SLDL. If I did SLDL first I'd be too afraid my hamstrings were shot and I'd fall over in the floor during squats. I do squats as my first leg exercise since its the most demanding, and then SLDL and calf raises since those muscles are now good and warmed up.

I think of it kind of like doing chest exercises before tricep isos, or back before bicep isos, even though hamstrings and calf are bigger muscles and their associated exercises aren't "isos".

Took your advice this morning HP and did my routine in Steve Reeves order. My O/H Press was the strongest it had ever been, but my bench was slightly weaker that last time (that could be due to the extra rep tho LOL). When it came to my squats I definitely had to work harder tho, but still managed to squeeze all 9 out - just. I am gonna keep them in this order till the end of the cycle and see how I feel. Hope yours were good too mate.

Day 1, Week 2 (10/6/08)

Long story short, I completed all 9 reps for every set, but boy, the upper body ones (especially OH BB Press) were tough to crank out. I think I did them all with reasonable form though. No issue on the leg exercises. It was tougher than I thought it would be, so I'm a little worried about next week doing 10 reps, and what to do if I fail.

Day 1, Week 2 (10/6/08)

Long story short, I completed all 9 reps for every set, but boy, the upper body ones (especially OH BB Press) were tough to crank out. I think I did them all with reasonable form though. No issue on the leg exercises. It was tougher than I thought it would be, so I'm a little worried about next week doing 10 reps, and what to do if I fail.
    It was tougher than I thought it would be, so I'm a little worried about next week doing 10 reps, and what to do if I fail.
    No retreat. No surrender. If you don't get all of the reps so what? You'll just repeat the weight on the next cycle.
    Last edited by all pro; 10-07-2008 at 12:44 PM.

I Have Teh Beautiful Wife jwdjrs's Avatar
    jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jwdjrs has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Day 1, Week 2 (10/6/08)

Your doing good man, best of luck.... repped

Yeh man keep it going your doing fine. I fing O/H Barbell press a killer too and hat to start the next cycle at the same weight - its no big deal you will get there eventually...

Carl...

No retreat. No surrender. If you don't get all of the reps so what? You'll just repeat the weight on the next cycle.
    So for instance, if I can't get every rep of 75# for my OH BB press in cycle 1 (8-12), I just repeat another 75# for 8-12 reps in cycle 2 while every other exercise where I completed every rep goes up 10%?

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, contributions, and reps in this thread!

I'll try to do a more thorough update this evening after I work out.

So for instance, if I can't get every rep of 75# for my OH BB press in cycle 1 (8-12), I just repeat another 75# for 8-12 reps in cycle 2 while every other exercise where I completed every rep goes up 10%?

Exactly. The only time to worry about it is if you repeat a weight and make NO progress at all. In other words you've stalled. For so long as you can add a rep or 2, you're gaining.

Good stuff HP, keep it coming...Repped ! ! !

Here's the weight I'm using each of the three days per allpro's 100/90/80 scheme:

Overhead BB Press 75# 67.5# 60#
    Bench Press 100# 90# 80#
    Bent Over BB Row 100# 90# 80#
    Barbell Curl 40# 35# 32.5
    BB Back Squats 115# 102.5# 92.5#
    Calf Raises 100# 90# 80#
    Stiff Leg Deadlift 45# 40.5# 35#

Week 2, Day 2 update (10/9/08)
    Overall the workout went very well and I completed every rep (of 9) and set. This was a major confidence booster after Monday's tough workout, plus allpro's advice helped.

I'm experimenting with caffeine before a workout.

I ordinarily drink only one cup of coffee on workout days, and then water only the rest of the day. I haven't been a soda fiend in years, and really only have even a diet soda once a month or so. However, on non-workout days I'll sometimes have a cup of coffee when I get home from work, or on Friday or Saturday evenings while watching a movie or reading a book. Any more than 2 cups of coffee in one day and I only get diminishing returns; I get that fatigued, overstimulated, milky headed feel.

Off and on I've experimented with drinking a cup of coffee 15-20 minutes before working out. Just recently I drank a *gasp* Red Bull before working out, just to try it to see if I got the same wonderous energy rush and longevity others report. The truth is I didn't. I'm pretty much a nonresponder to everything, and Red Bull I think only acted as a placebo. I was feeling drained after work so I thought I should add something so I could get psyched for the workout. Yesterday, however, even after two draining days at work going through an audit I felt good when I got home and went right at the weights with no stimulants.

I continue to drink a teaspoon of ON's CGT-10 with grape juice before the workout, and 2 teaspoons of CGT-10 with room temperature Gatorate while I swallow my BCAA pills and multivitamin. I'll admit I got the Gatorade idea from the Anthony Catanzaro interview on the main site, who mixes Gatorade and Glutamine post workout.

Remind me sometime and I will tell you how I descovered CGT.

A couple months back I used to eat an orange just before working out, and I could feel that fructose coursing through my veins, and I always got a massive pump while working out. I need to get back to that. I don't know if anyone else does this.

[QUOTE=Hulston Prickle;229981651

A couple months back I used to eat an orange just before working out, and I could feel that fructose coursing through my veins, and I always got a massive pump while working out. I need to get back to that. I don't know if anyone else does this.[/QUOTE]

I workout first thing in the morning (6:30...lol) so i just get a bowl of all bran and a protein shake - with water first thing and that seems to do the trick. I have found that if i have a meal with quite a lot of carbs in it the night before then i am a bit more energetic too - i rarely get to eat before 8:30 in the night and im in bed at 10:30 as well ! ! ! dont know if that is a good idea though - especially as im trying to keep the fat gain to a minimum. After workout i just have a protein shake and some times a banana.

I tried the eating an orange before working out on Friday (Week 2, day 3) and got a good pump. I completed all reps and sets.

However, I developed some lower back strain last week, and I'm still a little stiff today. The pain really starts during squats, and Stiff Leg Deadlifts aren't much fun afterward. I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. I do full back squats and try to keep my upper body straight while I go down until my hams touch my calves. I keep my heels flat on the ground.

Granted, I've never done squats 3 times a week, so this may be an adaption phase. I hope this isn't long term.

Week 3, Day 1 is today, which means 10 reps at full weight.

I tried the eating an orange before working out on Friday (Week 2, day 3) and got a good pump. I completed all reps and sets.

However, I developed some lower back strain last week, and I'm still a little stiff today. The pain really starts during squats, and Stiff Leg Deadlifts aren't much fun afterward. I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong. I do full back squats and try to keep my upper body straight while I go down until my hams touch my calves. I keep my heels flat on the ground.

Granted, I've never done squats 3 times a week, so this may be an adaption phase. I hope this isn't long term.

Week 3, Day 1 is today, which means 10 reps at full weight.
    You don't have to go down that far. When your hips go below your knees that's deep enough.

You don't have to go down that far. When your hips go below your knees that's deep enough.
    Aha! Okay, cool.

I tried allpros advice on squats last night (Week 3, day 1) and my quads burned like never before.

I started having lower back strain during the Bent Over BB Rows last night, so I think that is my problem area and maybe no the squats. I had the first casualty of this routine: My back was so stiff that by the time I got to the Stiff Leg Deadlifts I chickened out and cut my workout short, afraid I wouldn't be able to walk today.

I'm going to rest until Wednesday for day two, and then really watch my form on the BB Rows. I might find a mirror to set up in the garage.

Any advice?

I finished every other set and rep, though, and it was TOUGH. Other than what I view as a minor setback, I think I am making progress.

Aha! Okay, cool.

I tried allpros advice on squats last night (Week 3, day 1) and my quads burned like never before.

I started having lower back strain during the Bent Over BB Rows last night, so I think that is my problem area and maybe no the squats. I had the first casualty of this routine: My back was so stiff that by the time I got to the Stiff Leg Deadlifts I chickened out and cut my workout short, afraid I wouldn't be able to walk today.

I'm going to rest until Wednesday for day two, and then really watch my form on the BB Rows. I might find a mirror to set up in the garage.

Any advice?

I finished every other set and rep, though, and it was TOUGH. Other than what I view as a minor setback, I think I am making progress.
    If you can, get them on video and post it on youtube, Then post the link. I can't see you from here!

If you can, get them on video and post it on youtube, Then post the link. I can't see you from here!
    Sorry, man, no video camera or much of anything else at home. Thank you for your help, though.

Here's an article I found today on Pendlay Rows: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perfor...ect-technique/

What do you think of this advice?

Sorry, man, no video camera or much of anything else at home. Thank you for your help, though.

Here's an article I found today on Pendlay Rows: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perfor...ect-technique/

What do you think of this advice?
    It's a good variation. Notice that the lifters legs have a bend in them. People that get back pain tend to either lock their knees or use their back to lift the weight.

It's a good variation. Notice that the lifters legs have a bend in them. People that get back pain tend to either lock their knees or use their back to lift the weight.

Thats a good link HP cheers. Sounds like you are doing good on the program. Its good advice from all pro on the squats tho' if you keep just under parralel then you do feel it more in the quads. Just looking at the link tho and now I dont know if I am doing the rows right ! ! I have always tried to keep my back as close to 90 degrees as possible and NOT move it up wards or use my hips at all. As the weight and reps have got higher I have found that if my back pulls up SLIGHTLY (to say about 50-60 degrees) then I can shift more weight - is that what they mean by flexing the hips - my legs are always bent and I NEVER straighten them at all. Does this sound about right ? ? ?

Carl.

I used the Pendlay Row variation in the link for last night's work out (Week 3, day 2) and I'm happy to report no additional lower back strain and I completed all reps and sets. You have to use as much mind as muscle on Pendlay Rows, and I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

I never kept my legs perfectly straight on BB Rows, but I must have had my form wrong to cause strain. I was always taught to keep my elbows way in , almost to where they are rubbing against your side, but the Pendlay example has them fanned out to less than a 45 degree angle. Last night I went with a wider grip and elbows a little as the photos in the link show.

I'm out of BCAA pils for post workout, so if I have the money and time I'll pick up more this weekend. With economic downturn I tend to get more conservative and buying bodybuilding supplements won't be my first priority. When I run out of casein powder I might have to do without for awhile. At $30-$40 a bucket it's harder to justify than the long gone days of $15-$20 for a big ass bucket of whey.

Hey Carl:
    I'm curious about how much weight you are using for each of your exercises. Are you willing to say? What's your weight training/exercise background?
    Last edited by Hulston Prickle; 10-16-2008 at 10:15 AM.