Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Plz tell me the other 2 components of being an athlete..as I can think of MORE then 2 more components that are involved in ALL of SPORTING events!

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

-T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I mentioned 4 aspects (speed, strength, endurance, flexability)...most sports also require technique co-ordination training...in other wrods, learning technique. I didn't really mention the last one because all sports ahve technique training, including PL and WSM.
    Height: 6'3"
    Weight: 260

All time personal best's:
    Bench: 335 x1(raw)
    Squat: 435x3 (belt)
    Deadlift: 435x3 (belt,straps)
    Power Clean: 250x3(belt, straps)

John Henry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Has this guy made any valid points? Obviously he knows little of athletic training.

Ironsword has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by -T-
    I mentioned 4 aspects (speed, strength, endurance, flexability)...most sports also require technique
    While these all might be great qualities to have, I don't see how any one of these makes an athlete.

Strength, endurance, and flexiblity are unimportant to sprinters.

Endurance and flexiblity are unimportant to baseball players, except possibly pitchers and catchers for endurance.

Speed, and flexiblity is unimportant to bowlers.

Really, flexiblility isn't important to most sports and the others aren't important a lot of sports.

I wish flexibilty was more important, that's the one of those four qualities I actually have. I beat everyone in my class in that section of the Presidential Fitness test, which I think is where this guy is getting this Strength, Endurance, Speed, Flexiblity idea from.

I don't know, none of the Presidents in my lifetime are what I would consider an athlete, but Babe Ruth on the other hand...how can someone who many consider one of the best ever in a particular sport not be athlete? He even was versatile in that sport, he could both hit and pitch well, very few baseball players have been able to do that.

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by Ironsword
    While these all might be great qualities to have, I don't see how any one of these makes an athlete.

Strength, endurance, and flexiblity are unimportant to sprinters.

Endurance and flexiblity are unimportant to baseball players, except possibly pitchers and catchers for endurance.

Speed, and flexiblity is unimportant to bowlers.

Really, flexiblility isn't important to most sports and the others aren't important a lot of sports.

I wish flexibilty was more important, that's the one of those four qualities I actually have. I beat everyone in my class in that section of the Presidential Fitness test, which I think is where this guy is getting this Strength, Endurance, Speed, Flexiblity idea from.

I don't know, none of the Presidents in my lifetime are what I would consider an athlete, but Babe Ruth on the other hand...how can someone who many consider one of the best ever in a particular sport not be athlete? He even was versatile in that sport, he could both hit and pitch well, very few baseball players have been able to do that.
    YOUR WAY OFF! I'll come back to this post!

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bLeDZePPeLiN69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Response to T...
    The guy with the huge c&j, backflip, verticle, etc. MOST LIKELY has a killer 40/100. Olympic movements and ballistic movements such as well... standing and doing a backflip... fire the muscles all at once. This is the same for sprinting.

For a detailed overview, with lots of other facts that will amaze and stupify you, just ask Kyle.

BTW, all the Division I linemen coming into college nowadays are beasts... 300+ pounds, insanely strong with a nastyass 40. Think about their athletic potetial.

p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by -T-
    What is so hard for you guys to consider that there are THREE...THREE!!!!!!!! *other* aspects of athleticism than muscular strength?!?!?

i must admit..i am VERY impressed with Mr. Hamman's muscular strength...he must train for strength quite a bit. But two things...first (although at a body weight of 350, this would be a long shot) it is still possible that Mr Hamman has a low bf%. You forgot to include it in your stats. But more importantly...what is Mr. Hamman's time in 100m dash or 5k? Probably not so amazing.

Mr. Hamman is the very definition of what i would call a "strength-athlete"...he excels above and beyond in the strength catogory, but neglects the other two catogories that would make him an all-around athlete. 350 pounds eh? That can't be very good on the heart either...let alone 465 (i gotta see this guy).
    alright you damn douche' i'm here to give you a little wake up call and switch the board onto you...i hope your ready to give me some straight answers

1. Name me a damn athlete who trains what you say all (4) of the athletic attributes in there specific sport, basketball players obviously don't train all (4)

2. you ever tried a wresteling match?? you and another guy it may not last long but i can tell you that it will make you much more tired then any 5 mile run, i'm also refering to cardiovascular endurance here and not muscular endurance, well the same that goes for wresteling goes for strongmen, when you throw in 3/4 of the muscle in your body contracting while your heart is beating 85% of its max, that is VERY much a taxing task on the cardio vascular endurance

3. i dunno what the hell an athlete is supposed to look like....low bf%...???....i've seen high BF % in every single sport dude, football, baseball, basketball ect.

4. I don't think you relize this but most of those strongmen could play a full 1 hr. full court basketball with a set of endurance runners and i'd bet on the strongmen if i was smart

5. Strength has the largest carry over to sport of any of your (4) but i must tell you its more like (3) becuase strength creates speed as we know this beyong a shadow of a doubt with olympic athletes and a study conducted with olympic lifters vs. olympic sprinters and its more like (2) becuase you don't have to be so god damn flexible to lick your own ass in many sports that i can think of

6. I'm so confident in my athletic abilitys at 18% bf i'm willing to take you on in your sport whatever it may be i don't care i've played just about every good ole' american sport there is and i'm willing to bet that I could be, or i'm better in any of these sports then you are regardless how long you have been playing them, this includes: Cross-country, football, baseball, basketball, track in-genral,

7. What sport do you play?? whatever it is i'm sure i could tear into it in so many more ways then you can touch our sports
    I've seen a 15 year old deadlift 440 lbs. first time ever touching a weight
    I've witnessed a begginer increase there total 350 lbs. the first month
    I myself can show you men bench pressing 821 lbs. men deadlifting nearly 940 lbs. men squatting 1104 lbs.
    Powerlifting the sport of imposibility to Bodybuilders everywhere

Whats my post workout drink? half a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 7 sounds about right

p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000)
    hows this for not "looking athletic" add 3 wresteling medals and a powerlifting plaque to that
    Attached Images
    I myself can show you men bench pressing 821 lbs. men deadlifting nearly 940 lbs. men squatting 1104 lbs.

Whats my post workout drink? half a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 7 sounds about right

-T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -T- has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1) i can't think of professional athlete that doesn't train for speed, strength, adn endurance. I can only think of PL'ers and WSM who only traion for strength. Sprinters obviously train for speed but also run for endurance and lift weights for strength and distance runners run sprints in their training and also lift weights for strength.

2) This last winter i wreslted in 32 matches, so yes i know what wrestling feels like. And it probably feels nothing like a 5k run. At most wrestling lasts 6 minutes...not not very long (and it rarely ever lasts that long). The reason you "feel" tired in wrestliong is because you are using so much of your muscle all at one that you are depleating so much of your ATP which triggers a "fatigue" resoponce in your brain. IT'S ALL MENTAL FATIGUE...NOT PHYSICAL! Havn't you notice how you can wrestle 4 matches in a day and still be fine that night? There is no way you can run more than 1 5k in a day. I'm not trying diss wrestling though...it is a great sport and it's too bad that it's getting eliminated to make way for title 9.

3)You probably have seen alot of "athletes" in professional sports. Let's take a look at them. Football...obviously linemen are usually fat. But most linemen don't have to run very far (not more than 10 yards) at a time...and are only moving for like 1/10th of the total game time with large rests inbetween. Basketball? Well...i havn't seen many high bf% guys in teh NBA...but i have seen a pretty fat guy play some good street ball on the AND1 tour on ESPN. But then again...how much time did that guy actually play? And we didn't get the pleasure of seeing how fast he could get up and down the court. Baseball? There are a few...Mo Vaughn comes to mind. He is mostly a DH who they hope gets a homer so they don't have to get a designated runner for him.

4) well...i doubt that this game would ever materialize...but i have no idea how the results would turn out. You also didn't say who would be playing and how many players would be playing total on each team. I guess that sentence was supposed to totally prove that WSM have endurance? Well if they had 100 guys so that they could sub in every 2 minutes...i doubt that that is endurance.

5)strength alone does not create speed. Power does make qucikness...but over very short distances (IE driving to the hoop, or a 2 yeard plunge for a touchdown, etc). Hardly does power result in good 100m dash times. I think i've heard those studies...and they were about verticle jump (power) and 10m dash (power)...they didn't bother doing 100m or even 40m where i'm sure the sprinters would have left them in the dust. But i also agree that strength has a large carry-over into most sports. Also i agree that only basic flexability training is needed, so we could probably drop that

6&7)well, that sounds fair...but i don't have any money to pay for a plane ticket or referees to judge us and determine a winner. I've never ran cross-country...i have too much bodyweight (260 lbs. @ 18% bf) to be competitive at cross country. I do play football as a lineman (not the most glorified of positions). I stoped playing baseball after 9th grade, but still remember how to play that. I've never played basketball, just wrestling in the winter. Track i throw shot and disc and now i'm starting to high jump, although i'm not real great at that.

Also i don't really apriciate being called a "douche bag"...but i guess you really don't anything about common decency.

Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lunatic has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by -T-
    i have too much bodyweight (260 lbs. @ 18% bf) to be competitive at cross country.
    Do you consider yourself an athlete because you BF isn't low.
    AcetylCoA gets reps

"God your dunce." - Swept

LSU Tigers/Washington Nationals

Originally posted by Lunatic
    Do you consider yourself an athlete because you BF isn't low.
    I consider myself an athlete because i train the three important areas of athleticism, speed, strength, and endurance.

The only thing bf% has to do with being an athlete is looks. I ,personally, don't look that much like an athlete.

BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BPP has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally posted by -T-
    I consider myself an athlete because i train the three important areas of athleticism, speed, strength, and endurance.

The only thing bf% has to do with being an athlete is looks. I ,personally, don't look that much like an athlete.
    oh sure, earlier there are 4 areas of it you gotta train, and high bodyfat makes you less of an ethlete bc of the "extra baggage"
    but you only train 3 of the 4 and have extra baggage

u must be extra special

you are obviously a fool and i have no more reason to argue with you

you are one of those guys that will try and prove that muscle turns to fat for hours on end when you have no facts to back it up, and i refuse to argue with the scrape of the barrel human, face the facts man if everyone were like you we would still be hunting deer with clubs, you need to out grow your narrow mindedness, and athleticism has nothing to do with looks so you may as well drop that too...becuase you yourself could be considered fat by most of the 130-160 lbs. 10% bf male public

Originally posted by bigpoppaproppy
    oh sure, earlier there are 4 areas of it you gotta train, and high bodyfat makes you less of an ethlete bc of the "extra baggage"
    but you only train 3 of the 4 and have extra baggage

u must be extra special
    Well we might as well drop the flexability aspect. I think we can all agree on that, so there really is just 3 aspects that you should train to be considered an athlete. And yes *high* bodyfat does make you less of an athlete because it will not allow you to achieve your best results in all competitions. 10-18% is considered normal bf% , though. But still, the lower the better as long as you stay above the healthy line (around 7%).

I am not extra special...trust me...i'm just like everyone else.

Originally posted by p0w3rlift3r
    you are obviously a fool and i have no more reason to argue with you

you are one of those guys that will try and prove that muscle turns to fat for hours on end when you have no facts to back it up, and i refuse to argue with the scrape of the barrel human, face the facts man if everyone were like you we would still be hunting deer with clubs, you need to out grow your narrow mindedness, and athleticism has nothing to do with looks so you may as well drop that too...becuase you yourself could be considered fat by most of the 130-160 lbs. 10% bf male public
    I'm glad that you will no longer post on this thread! Because so far you have made no arguements...only tried to insult me in hopes that i would "come to my senses", or whatever it is that you were hoping. I just hope you realize that in the real world, insults will not be taken as arguments. Try going to a city counsil meeting and calling the chairman a "bottom of the barrel dips*** moron" and see what happens.

jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i've been watching this thread for a while

-T-, have you tried powerlifting or strongman? there's definitely something psychological going on here..you're jealous for some reason, whatever it is.

how in the **** does bodyfat make you more or less of an athlete? there is no goddamn correlation between skill and bodyfat %, that's just ****ing ridiculous to even say that

i hate getting worked up after only reading something that somebody posts on the interenet. but you, sir, are a jackass

Originally posted by -T-
    I'm glad that you will no longer post on this thread! Because so far you have made no arguements...only tried to insult me in hopes that i would "come to my senses", or whatever it is that you were hoping. I just hope you realize that in the real world, insults will not be taken as arguments. Try going to a city counsil meeting and calling the chairman a "bottom of the barrel dips*** moron" and see what happens.
    alright dude, what makes a sport?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.you can't be an athlete if you don't have a sport correct?

2.in every sport your not required to train all three of these things.

3.if you compete in a sport your an athlete, plain and ****ing simple.

argument over

Ping pong is a sport it has speed and quickness but lack of strength so tech. its not really a sport? (confussed)

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

Also they only have an average build, nothing great. You'll probably find some chubby and husky.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

Originally posted by jeremys
    i've been watching this thread for a while

-T-, have you tried powerlifting or strongman? there's definitely something psychological going on here..you're jealous for some reason, whatever it is.

how in the **** does bodyfat make you more or less of an athlete? there is no goddamn correlation between skill and bodyfat %, that's just ****ing ridiculous to even say that

i hate getting worked up after only reading something that somebody posts on the interenet. but you, sir, are a jackass
    That is a good guess...but i have nothing to be jealous of powerlifters or strongmen. Sure, they can lift alot more weight than me, so what? There is more to life than lifting weights.

The i've only made two statements correlating bf% and athleticism. 1) people with low bf% look like athletes. 2) people with high bf% will hinder their athletic performance. How? 1) speed...any time you are carrying extra weight you won't be able to get as long of a stride as you would get with less weight and the same stride strength 2) endurance, the more weight you ahve the harder your heart has to work and the more energy you use up...plus you won't get the best stride length...3) strength...no amount of fat can hinder you here...but it won't help you either (some have made the point that more fat = less ROM..which is easier to lift a weight when you have less of it...but having less ROM because you are fat is not something to be proud of..)

As far as "skill" which i very briefly mentioned. BF% has nothing to do with how you co-ordinate your muscles to perform a certain task or event.

Again with the personal insults...i think you should take your own advice and not get so worked up over this.

Originally posted by p0w3rlift3r
    alright dude, what makes a sport?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1.you can't be an athlete if you don't have a sport correct?

2.in every sport your not required to train all three of these things.

3.if you compete in a sport your an athlete, plain and ****ing simple.

argument over
    1)this is true....and by sport we'll just assume you meant competition. It is pointless to train without competition...unless you are simply doing it for health benefits/looking better....but i would call that recreation...not training

2)wrong. In not every sport are you required to perform all three of those. But an all-around athlete ALWAYS trains all three. If you only train for one or two...then you are not an all-around athlete. You have become specialized and i would call you either a strength-athlete, speed-athlete, or an endurance-athlete.

3)if you compete in competition and you train for all three, then i would call you an all-around athlete. If you compete but don't train all three, then i would not call you an all-around athlete.

Originally posted by FortifiedIron
    Ping pong is a sport it has speed and quickness but lack of strength so tech. its not really a sport? (confussed)

Kc
    Ping pong is a sport. The competitors in ping pong usually don't even train any of the three...they only train their technique co-ordination.

jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeremys is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by -T-
    That is a good guess...but i have nothing to be jealous of powerlifters or strongmen. Sure, they can lift alot more weight than me, so what? There is more to life than lifting weights.

The i've only made two statements correlating bf% and athleticism. 1) people with low bf% look like athletes. 2) people with high bf% will hinder their athletic performance. How? 1) speed...any time you are carrying extra weight you won't be able to get as long of a stride as you would get with less weight and the same stride strength 2) endurance, the more weight you ahve the harder your heart has to work and the more energy you use up...plus you won't get the best stride length...3) strength...no amount of fat can hinder you here...but it won't help you either (some have made the point that more fat = less ROM..which is easier to lift a weight when you have less of it...but having less ROM because you are fat is not something to be proud of..)

As far as "skill" which i very briefly mentioned. BF% has nothing to do with how you co-ordinate your muscles to perform a certain task or event.

Again with the personal insults...i think you should take your own advice and not get so worked up over this.
    agreed. i wont get get worked up over it, its just that as a powerlifter, some insulting things have been said.

now with the points you've tried to establish in your last post;

i've known many many people with a higher bodyfat % have KILLER 40 times. fat has nothing to do with speed

stride length has nothing to do with bodyfat. NOTHING

now the bottom line i have with all of this is that we're comparing apples to oranges and NOBODY is the PERFECT athlete in ALL aspects, whatever those aspects may be.

for example, brett favre will never be a powerlifting champion (strength), will never win a marathon (endurance), and i'm betting he will never play in a world series (skill).

to be the BEST at something, it has to be VERY specific. in sports, it's how you play. how you do on the field/court/track is not determined by your strength, speed, and ESPECIALLY bodyfat %, but those (except for bodyfat) will have some carryover

Originally posted by -T-

1) speed...any time you are carrying extra weight you won't be able to get as long of a stride as you would get with less weight and the same stride strength 2) endurance, the more weight you ahve the harder your heart has to work and the more energy you use up...plus you won't get the best stride length...3) strength...no amount of fat can hinder you here...but it won't help you either (some have made the point that more fat = less ROM..which is easier to lift a weight when you have less of it...but having less ROM because you are fat is not something to be proud of..)
    owkay....

1) i've seen 350 lbs. men out run 100 lbs. men in an actual SPORT.. HOLY **** imagine that a man with 18-20% bf can out run slim people

2) you need to just name sports becuase you don't need the kind of 5k running endurance your talking about in anything except marathon running....

3) no it won't hinder it will help its been proven men with bf % in the 18-20% range have more LBM and there muscle have greater cross sectional sizes and are capable of producing more force (speed included)

Originally posted by jeremys
    agreed. i wont get get worked up over it, its just that as a powerlifter, some insulting things have been said.

now with the points you've tried to establish in your last post;

i've known many many people with a higher bodyfat % have KILLER 40 times. fat has nothing to do with speed

stride length has nothing to do with bodyfat. NOTHING

now the bottom line i have with all of this is that we're comparing apples to oranges and NOBODY is the PERFECT athlete in ALL aspects, whatever those aspects may be.

for example, brett favre will never be a powerlifting champion (strength), will never win a marathon (endurance), and i'm betting he will never play in a world series (skill).

to be the BEST at something, it has to be VERY specific. in sports, it's how you play. how you do on the field/court/track is not determined by your strength, speed, and ESPECIALLY bodyfat %, but those (except for bodyfat in most instances) will have some carryover

Also...i just had a thought...maybe this might clear some things up for you guys.

Anytime i have typed the word "athlete", by itself...you can assume i meant to say "all-around athlete".

What is an all-around athlete? Someone who usually competes in multiple sports, year round, and usually enjoys all sport and competition on the whole. Examples: decathlon, and high schoolers who compete in a different sport for each season.

What about...
    Speed-athletes: sprinters obviously comes to mind...there may be more

Stregnth-athletes: WSM, PL'ers, etc.

Endurance-athletes: 5k runners

and there are alot of specific sports that require all three, examples: soccer, boxing, fighting in general, baseball, football, basketball, hockey, etc etc.

Originally posted by -T-
    Also...i just had a thought...maybe this might clear some things up for you guys.

Anytime i have typed the word "athlete", by itself...you can assume i meant to say "all-around athlete".

What is an all-around athlete? Someone who usually competes in multiple sports, year round, and usually enjoys all sport and competition on the whole. Examples: decathlon, and high schoolers who compete in a different sport for each season.

What about...
    Speed-athletes: sprinters obviously comes to mind...there may be more

Stregnth-athletes: WSM, PL'ers, etc.

Endurance-athletes: 5k runners

and there are alot of specific sports that require all three, examples: soccer, boxing, fighting in general, baseball, football, basketball, hockey, etc etc.
    that helps me understand a LITTLE of what you were trying to say..

Originally posted by -T-

2)wrong. In not every sport are you required to perform all three of those. But an all-around athlete ALWAYS trains all three. If you only train for one or two...then you are not an all-around athlete. You have become specialized and i would call you either a strength-athlete, speed-athlete, or an endurance-athlete.
    so all your saying is every sport has a specilized athlete? becuase i can't think of many sports that you have to train all 3, so all-around athletes are the rarest of athletes that makes them no better then the (strength-athletes who can also be Speed athletes)

so you would call powerlifters and oly lifters (speed-strength or strength-speed athletes that don't look like athletes?) i'd hate to have a real conversation with you

Originally posted by -T-

alright then i'm an all around athlete

boxing takes hand speed not running speed, how you move your arm faster with strength

soccer don't take much strength

baseball don't take strength or endurance

football don't take much endurence

basketball don't take much strength

*whoops...double posted here*

some oly lifters and powerlifters i would call stregnth-atheltes (ok...maybe they are fast...although i don't count 10 yrd or 40 yrd dashes as speed...but they don't compete in speed events so i wouldn't call them speed-atheltes) who don't look like athletes.

But there are plenty of PL'ers and oly lifters who have low bf%'s and look like athletes.
    Last edited by -T-; 04-06-2003 at 12:59 PM.