J-shadow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Shoulders wont grow

over the past couple of months ive gained a lot of strength in my shoulders
    my shoulder press has gone from 130lbs to 190lbs in about 2-3 months, but i have not gained any size
    i usually do heavy barbell presses for 5 reps with some warm up exercises before, and some shoulder exercises after wards

ive also tried super sets in the rang from 6-8 reps per exercises counting about 24 reps per set

anyone got some suggestions on great shoulder workouts that will add some size?

PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PaC-mAn8 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Laterals of all kinds.

mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PacMan8 View Post
    Laterals of all kinds.
    x2

Also, whats your diet like? You look pretty skinny in that picture, maybe you're just not taking in enough calories to add size? Have you had any major growth on any other muscles?

Originally Posted by PacMan8 View Post
    Laterals of all kinds.
    sorry i shoulda said that i do laterial raises, seated bent over lateral raises, front raises and cuban presses all in the 6-8 rep area

mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by J-shadow View Post
    sorry i shoulda said that i do heavy laterial raises, seated bent over lateral raises, front raises and cuban presses
    Do you have a separate shoulder day? If so, try adding in another shoulder day after your chest day. That is if you're doing one muscle group a day. What kind of routine are you doing?

Originally Posted by mdorty View Post
    Do you have a separate shoulder day? If so, try adding in another shoulder day after your chest day. That is if you're doing one muscle group a day. What kind of routine are you doing?
    before my workout schedule looked like this

tuesday: back and abs
    thursday: chest and shoulders
    sat: arms
    sunday: chest and shoulders

ive recently switched to focus on my back and now do back a shoulders twice a week. my schedule now looks like this

tuesday: chest and tris
    thursday:back and shoulders
    saturday:arms
    sunday: back and shoulders

i also have two separate routines that i switch between every 2-3 cycles

before my workout schedule looked like this

tuesday: back and abs
    thursday: chest and shoulders
    sat: arms
    sunday: chest and shoulders

ive recently switched to focus on my back and now do back a shoulders twice a week. my schedule now looks like this

tuesday: chest and tris
    thursday:back and shoulders
    saturday:arms
    sunday: back and shoulders

i also have two separate routines that i switch between every 2-3 cycles

Do you have time to go to the gym one more day a week? If so, I would definitely put in an extra day just for shoulders. Shoulders support ALL of your upper body workouts, and they are one of your weakest joints. If you can't add another day just for shoulders, then instead of doing chest first twice a week, do chest then shoulders one day, then do shoulders then chest the next time. In short, concentrate on mainly shoulders one day a week. And again, what is your diet like?

DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it seems to me your rep range is all wrong...6-8 your in the strength training range..so like you said your strength went up as expected..you should be in the 12 to 15 range at least. thats your hypertrophy range...use medium weights to start..increase your work load every week...your tempo should be 5/0/1...try it see how it works for you

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some reasons why your shoulders aren't growing:

1. Not eating enough, as someone mentioned.

2. Staying in the same rep/set range. Like all muscles, doing different rep ranges, or doing the same ol( same ol' will get you nowhere. You don't have to change it up drastically, but doing different rep ranges, different exercises, or doing the same exercises but in a different order may help.

3. Working your chest and shoulders on the same day. Training chest first and then shoulders just can't be done for some, so if you're doing so, split it up and train chest and tris one day, then two or three days later, either shoulders by themselves or with back (for example).

Finally, work your rotator cuffs with L-flyes. While you may not have an injury, L-flyes will help to keep your shoulders strong.

Analyze what you're doing, make changes when necessary. Good luck!
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Do you have time to go to the gym one more day a week? If so, I would definitely put in an extra day just for shoulders. Shoulders support ALL of your upper body workouts, and they are one of your weakest joints. If you can't add another day just for shoulders, then instead of doing chest first twice a week, do chest then shoulders one day, then do shoulders then chest the next time. In short, concentrate on mainly shoulders one day a week. And again, what is your diet like?
    Im already doing shoulders twice a week
    working out 5 times a week would probably lead to over training, and killing my socail life, as well as lowering my grades even more
    im pretty sure twice a week is enough for them
    i read somewhere the max times you should work a body part is twice a week

Originally Posted by DCov35 View Post
    it seems to me your rep range is all wrong...6-8 your in the strength training range..so like you said your strength went up as expected..you should be in the 12 to 15 range at least. thats your hypertrophy range...use medium weights to start..increase your work load every week...your tempo should be 5/0/1...try it see how it works for you
    actually my strength went up in the press which i do 5 reps on

ive noticed especially in my bench press i dont grow unless i keep the reps relatively low

aslo, what do u mean by my temp should be 5/0/1 ???

Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Real00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One of my weak spots also.I think shoulder's are considered a small body part but very important.I think shortening the rest in between sets to around 45 seconds will help with the Hypertrophy.
    6'1,215lbs 275lb Benh Press

Im already doing shoulders twice a week
    working out 5 times a week would probably lead to over training, and killing my socail life, as well as lowering my grades even more
    im pretty sure twice a week is enough for them
    i read somewhere the max times you should work a body part is twice a week
    I didn't mean work shoulders three times a week, I mean work them out twice a week, but have a day just for shoulders. And it all depends on the person as far as overtraining goes. Anyway, I reiterate, make shoulders first once a week if you can't go another day. And like another poster mentioned, change up your rep shceme, try going higher reps for the hypertrophy (muscle growth).

And again, what is your diet like?

I didn't mean work shoulders three times a week, I mean work them out twice a week, but have a day just for shoulders. And it all depends on the person as far as overtraining goes. Anyway, I reiterate, make shoulders first once a week if you can't go another day. And like another poster mentioned, change up your rep shceme, try going higher reps for the hypertrophy (muscle growth).

And again, what is your diet like?
    hmmm well im a bit stubborn on changing to high reps, but i guess nothing works for ever. but as i said, i respond better to low reps high weight
    would doing one day high reps and one day low reps be logical?

as for my diet its pretty intact. ive been drifting a bit lately with the carbs, but protein is always a first for me.
    i dont count my protein intake, but rather make sure i get around 20-30grams per meal, and make sure im never without protein in my system

my diet is pretty solid.

hmmm well im a bit stubborn on changing to high reps, but i guess nothing works for ever. but as i said, i respond better to low reps high weight
    would doing one day high reps and one day low reps be logical?

as for my diet its pretty intact. ive been drifting a bit lately with the carbs, but protein is always a first for me.
    i dont count my protein intake, but rather make sure i get around 20-30grams per meal, and make sure im never without protein in my system

my diet is pretty solid.
    Definitely change up your reps. If you've been doing 6-8 since you started, I would try 12-15 for 6-8 weeks on all of your lifts, and see if you notice a difference. I just started doing this, and it sucks not lifting as much weight, but you've got to check your ego at the door every time you enter the gym. Its better to work out right then it is to do heavy weights and not gain anything, right? Also, do you have any idea how many calories you're taking in a day? Or are you not trying to build mass? I know you are in shoulders, but what about other places? If you want to build mass, it may be time to kick up the calories a bit. You can't build more muscle without taking in an exess of calories (more than your maintenance).

Definitely change up your reps. If you've been doing 6-8 since you started, I would try 12-15 for 6-8 weeks on all of your lifts, and see if you notice a difference. I just started doing this, and it sucks not lifting as much weight, but you've got to check your ego at the door every time you enter the gym. Its better to work out right then it is to do heavy weights and not gain anything, right? Also, do you have any idea how many calories you're taking in a day? Or are you not trying to build mass? I know you are in shoulders, but what about other places? If you want to build mass, it may be time to kick up the calories a bit. You can't build more muscle without taking in an exess of calories (more than your maintenance).
    oh well this may of confused some people but i consider low reps 3-5...should of mentioned that as well
    but yes i dont eat loads of calories...
    i like to do things relatively clean, so that i dont get fat or anything

thanks for the advice, maybe ill up the reps and eat a couple of spoons of peanut butter =P

magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10) magnetix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how's your form on those presses? 190 is a lot!
    pressing with a slight arch back like an incline bp will reduce the stress on your shoudlers. = bad.

maybe squat some to get the HGH flowing
    thomas is ugly

Originally Posted by magnetix View Post
    how's your form on those presses? 190 is a lot!
    pressing with a slight arch back like an incline bp will reduce the stress on your shoudlers. = bad.

maybe squat some to get the HGH flowing
    I dont actually press 190, thats just what bodybuilding.com guessing my 1RM should be
    i do about 170 for 5 reps which is supposed to equal 190 1rm
    as for form, nearing the last 2 reps on lik the 5th+ set i will have the slightest arch

i sualy do as many sets as i can

DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    trust me changing up your rep range will definately help...go to absolute muscle failure..so by that 15th rep you want to be spent..rest about 2 to 3 mins in between sets..that will allow your muscles to fully recover its glycogen stores, so go 6 sets to absolute failure..i promise you'll grow..for sure...what i meant by tempo is 5/0/1....5 means the negative, you know how slow your bringing the weight down, the middle is how long you pause, and the last number is how fast your eccentric is, how fast you press it up...

beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beesh94 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Some reasons why your shoulders aren't growing:

1. Not eating enough, as someone mentioned.

2. Staying in the same rep/set range. Like all muscles, doing different rep ranges, or doing the same ol( same ol' will get you nowhere. You don't have to change it up drastically, but doing different rep ranges, different exercises, or doing the same exercises but in a different order may help.

3. Working your chest and shoulders on the same day. Training chest first and then shoulders just can't be done for some, so if you're doing so, split it up and train chest and tris one day, then two or three days later, either shoulders by themselves or with back (for example).

Finally, work your rotator cuffs with L-flyes. While you may not have an injury, L-flyes will help to keep your shoulders strong.

Analyze what you're doing, make changes when necessary. Good luck!

hey guys i know this is a bit off topic but ive been bulking for a while i started off at 75kg and now at 87kg my target is around 100kg, then i start cutting just in time for summer, anyway my main concern is that everything has been growing quite large including my arms chest etc, but my shoulders arent growing i train shoulders quite intensely ones a week and i am not sure how to even it out with my big arms pleases help what should i do and my routine is as follows:

roughly my plan goes with this but some exercises i have changed around and added a few different ones
    scoobysworkshop.com/advanced-workout-plan/[/url]

basically for shoulders:
    dumbell press
    side raise
    reverse flys
    shrugs
    Arnold

i used to do military press ages ago but eventually stopped

what to do?
    cheers

Killeybh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe your over training if your doing shoulders twice a week, Take a break for a week? Also i noticed huge size gain in my shoulders when i did laterals in the 10-12 rep range and when i cant do anymore just swing the weight. Keep your arms straight and try and get the weight back up, keep swinging for at least 10 and try and hold a few up as high as possible (obv they wont stay). These negative style reps really help. Watch the pump you gain from this and see all your veins explode! i love it!
    GO Hard or go home!

SkatDaddy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulders

over the past couple of months ive gained a lot of strength in my shoulders
    my shoulder press has gone from 130lbs to 190lbs in about 2-3 months, but i have not gained any size
    i usually do heavy barbell presses for 5 reps with some warm up exercises before, and some shoulder exercises after wards

ive also tried super sets in the rang from 6-8 reps per exercises counting about 24 reps per set

anyone got some suggestions on great shoulder workouts that will add some size?
    I am not huge yet by any means, but my shoulders are my strong point. It has a lot to do w/ genetics, but I work shoulders only once a week with relatively high volume. Here's my usual shoulder day:
    Dumbell presses 3x10,8,6
    Arnold press 3x12,10,8
    Leaningcable laterals from behind back 3x10-12
    DB reverse fly 4x10-12
    Cable inward rotation 3x12-15
    cable outward rotation 3x12-15
    DB front raises prone on incline bench 3x8-12
    BB shrugs 4x10-12
    EZ cable upright row 3x10-12
    NOTE: I always focus on eccentric motion as well as concentric. I aim for at least a 2:1 time ratio.

Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Vygotsky has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Eat more and try this:

Seated/standing DB or BB Shoulder Press: 4 sets of 6-8. (3 seconds down, 1-2 seconds up)
    Side lateral raises: 3 sets of 10-12. (2-3 seconds up, 0.5-1 second squeeze, 4 seconds down)
    Rear delt flys: 3 sets of 10-12. (w/e)

If this isn't enough for you add wide grip BB upright rows to nipple level.

TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50) TimeToBiceps will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Arnold Presses. Try this grueling workout for a change: Arnold Presses non-stop set from lowest to highest dumbbells where you can do 10 reps. (10 reps on each pair of dumbbells btw). All the way up and all the way down the rack.

For example:
    Do a couple of warm up sets.
    Get to it.
    10kg - 10 reps
    12 kg - 10 reps
    14 kg - 10 reps
    16 kg - 10 reps
    18 kg - 10 reps
    20 kg - 10 reps
    22 kg - 10 reps
    24 kg - 10 reps
    26 kg - 10 reps
    28 kg - 10 reps
    30 kg - 10 reps

Now that's half a set, go all the way down just as you climbed up. Did I mention NON-STOP?
    Last edited by TimeToBiceps; 06-07-2012 at 06:26 AM.