sg67 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

oats or steal cut oats??

just a quick 1 which is better?? what are the protien and calorie values and how much should i take a day on a bulking diet pls??

thanks

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sg67 View Post
    just a quick 1 which is better?? what are the protien and calorie values and how much should i take a day on a bulking diet pls??

thanks
    *sigh*

Let's go through this in 'bits' -->
    One is oats that have been cut into bits [steel cut].
    The other is oats that have been steamed and rolled [rolled oats].

... If I got you and steamed you.... and then rolled you into one flat bit... would you still be made of the same things as before this process?

[hint: the answer is yes].
    Essentially - As long as it is WHOLEGRAIN rolled oats we are talking about - then they are the same thing and near on exactly the same (per unit weight) in terms of calories/ protein. And you can look at the exact amounts of these on www.nutritiondata.com or www.calorieking.com

So - The difference?? Well - 40g of steel cut oats is only about 1/4 of a cup of steel cut oats, it is 1/2 a cup of rolled oats. Basically: it comes down to energy density.

Thus - if you have a bottomless pit of a stomach and like to eat more food. Eat the rolled oats. If you don't mind less food, and want something heavier - go for the steel cut oats.

And lastly, in regards to how much you should eat: The answer is - As much as you want.

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Technically steel cut is better..but it won't make a difference cosmetically so eat up.

Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Emma-Leigh has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Paumen View Post
    Technically steel cut is better..but it won't make a difference cosmetically so eat up.
    better for what?

Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000) Paumen is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    better for what?
    Health.

JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JakeEdwin is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Emma-Leigh View Post
    better for what?
    I think the argument is steel cut is less processed(which is ALWAYS better around these parts), and also steel cut take slightly longer to digest, and low GI is all the rage so hop on the bandwagon!
    Texas A&M Aggie, Class of 2013

wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000) wildrice is just really nice. (+1000)
    they are fundamentally one in the same, but if i have the time steel cut is tops in taste
    One moment with God gives me far more strength than any good day of lifting.

5-20-2017 NPC Optimum C Cronos1247's Avatar
    Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cronos1247 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've been curious about steel cuts myself, since the serving size is about half of that as rolled oats, I think 1/4 Cup steel = 1/2 cup Oats if I'm not mistaken, can't remember. Anyways, do they produce the same volume of food when cooked?

Figure, cooking 1/2 Cup of rolled oats gives you a pretty decent portion of oats, does cooking the 1/4 Cup of steel cut give around the same output or is it a smaller, more calorie dense portion your eating?
    MTS Nutrition Houston rep.
    "No BS, no hype. Just results."

Upcoming show NPC Optimum Classics: 5-20-2017

"I don't believe in following any one training style. I couldn't tell what DC or H.I.T. or FST-7 entail. I have no clue and really don't give a ****. I go to the gym to train hard. I don't need to follow a ****ing "program" to do that." - Evan Centopani

PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50) PumpJunky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Because rolled oats have a larger surface area, they "puff up" more than steel cut and produce more volume post cooking.

Steel cut oats are similar to rice. The amount of food increases after cooking, but not as much as rolled.