Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Working At L.A. Fitness: Advice/Opinions Please?

I was recently hired at L.A. Fitness as a Membership Sales Counselor. I needed a job badly so I threw caution to the wind. Everyone seems very shady. The managers keep showing off their Rolex watches. They keep talking about their 100K salaries. It just gives a wrong vibe.

I started researching the actual company and I've discovered alot of negativity from customers and former employees alike.

I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake.

Has anyone worked at L.A. Fitness or has been a former employee? Thanks.

JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JH34PG is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    horrible..12 a hr
    Here to help!

DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DracoMalfoy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yeah, plus it's only commission. They also seem to have a high turnover rate.

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DracoMalfoy View Post
    I was recently hired at L.A. Fitness as a Membership Sales Counselor. I needed a job badly so I threw caution to the wind. Everyone seems very shady. The managers keep showing off their Rolex watches. They keep talking about their 100K salaries. It just gives a wrong vibe.

I started researching the actual company and I've discovered alot of negativity from customers and former employees alike.

You said it yourself. It's all about making money, just like any other corporate gym. The managers main concern is "how much money are you going to make them"
    Mastering Yourself Makes You Fearless

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    They offered me the position of a trainer (which is strictly training) or a "Training Assistant Manager" (which is training + sales). I chose the former, and they never called back.

****'s weak.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10) kgitaitis is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HardGainer82 View Post
    They offered me the position of a trainer (which is strictly training) or a "Training Assistant Manager" (which is training + sales). I chose the former, and they never called back.

****'s weak.
    i had an interview as well with those same two postions... got the vibe of its all about money (although the pay was crappy) he was begging me to take the job, as my sales will help him climb the "ladder'... he told me this!
    i decided to not take the job.
    runnerkelly
    check out my DAILY progress on my blog:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=189934211#post189934211

Whats good for lower abs? kserajuddin's Avatar
    kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

BarneyUK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i work there as a PT so technically i'm not employed by LA. All the people i work with are proper sound towards but there's a lot of bitchiness going on among the staff, managers not doing what they should and its all very profit orientated. I don't mind working there as a PT (even though the rent is massive!!) but i don't think i'd like to work there as an actual employee...

kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BarneyUK View Post
    i work there as a PT so technically i'm not employed by LA. All the people i work with are proper sound towards but there's a lot of bitchiness going on among the staff, managers not doing what they should and its all very profit orientated. I don't mind working there as a PT (even though the rent is massive!!) but i don't think i'd like to work there as an actual employee...
    They switched to a rent based system? When was this? Maybe they private contract it at each location so the system is different - thanks for the heads up -
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000)
    def. need more info on that^. but to the op ? it sucks. The sales people are only about money, your only paid 6 dollars per session, and most of the time you will be working around incompetent trainers so the general public who will see you in the same uniform will automatically classify you as incompetent as well.

timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) timperry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dasixthsun View Post
    def. need more info on that^. but to the op ? it sucks. The sales people are only about money, your only paid 6 dollars per session, and most of the time you will be working around incompetent trainers so the general public who will see you in the same uniform will automatically classify you as incompetent as well.
    Yep.. you got that right. You are only as good as your weakest trainer!
    Members watch you like a hawk and will remember everything negative about you.

DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DCov35 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i was a sales manager there..absolutely horrible..i was so burned out and i wanted to punched the GM in the face..the whole company is shady...all the way up to the regional mgr and above..if you can keep making them money your fine.

Registered User alwayspumped001's Avatar
    alwayspumped001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I am a current employee, trainer. It is probably the shadiest place to work, it's all about money and who you know. I've been employed with the company for almost two years and honestly, it's been my favorite corporate gym. I am working on my B.S and about to start my masters, so the easy hours work for me. You can make a lot of money on the sales side but you have to be willing to really put your nose to the grindstone and suck it up for a while. The GM of training at my gym is 21 and my last was 22, they were both great and pulling down great salaries. It's an easy place for a female to work as well, so I suppose that may also be my bias. Good luck, and if you put some time and effort into it you might be pretty happy with the results.

CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I worked at L.A. Fitness for a while. Not the worst place, but certainly not the best. I suppose it's good for gaining experience, though.

Good luck.

-C10
    PR's ... Goals @ 160 lbs. Bodyweight:

Bench Press - 250 ... 315
    Squat - 275 ... 400
    Trap Dead - 400 ... 480
    Bent Over Row - 195 ... 315
    Military Press - 150 ... 160
    Pull-Up - BW+150 ... BW + 180
    Dip - BW + 170 ... BW + 200

kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Would 24 be a better gym?
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    BJ Penn > You

GO COWBOYS!!

Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000) Mythic Beast is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kingarty View Post
    Would 24 be a better gym?
    I think they're all the same, good thing about LA is that you don't HAVE to make sales at all if you're a trainer.

kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kingarty is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mythic Beast View Post
    I think they're all the same, good thing about LA is that you don't HAVE to make sales at all if you're a trainer.
    which pays more?
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    BJ Penn > You

GO COWBOYS!!

CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CoQ10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    which pays more?
    24 Hour Fitness pays more, BUT, as previously mentioned, you have to get your own clients.

-C10

Squat - 275 ... 400
    Trap Dead - 400 ... 480

ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've been working at LA Fitness for over two years. The pay is absolutely horrible, ever since they stopped paying you for hours on the schedule. Now, it's just 8 dollars per 30-minute session.

I just got my CSCS two months ago, and I was hoping to find another job. Unfortunately, there's a recession, so it's been super hard, even with a BS in Kinesiology, a CSCS, and filling out applications like crazy for the last couple months. At the moment, I like the new boss we just got, and I'm just looking to stay busy and keep working, so I'm cool for now. I'm just grateful to even have a job with the way things are going with the economy. My cousin just got a master's from a really good school, and even SHE can't find a job! And many of my clients keep telling me about how either they've gotten laid off, or how their coworkers have.

All I can hope for is the recession to be over with already. Until then, just do what you love and hold onto whatever job you have, no matter how bad the pay is!

One thing I will give to LA Fitness is that the schedule couldn't be more flexible. The thing I've always loved about it is that it gives me all the time I need to do my own workouts and training for Muay Thai and MMA. I wouldn't be able to do that with some 8-5'er, and I'd be absolutely miserable. The whole reason why I got into personal training was to teach people what I've learned in my years of working out, and to actually HAVE TIME to work out.
    email: thaifighter83@yahoo.com
    nickname: ThaiFighter83

Registered User alwayspumped001's Avatar
    alwayspumped001 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    which pays more?
    What is it exactly that you're looking for?? A good environment, to make great money, gain experience, ect????

You run your own schedule at LA, most other clubs are much more stringent! I started running my own private business out of the people that I met there, as far as networking goes it works well. If you're looking to train as a career, you don't belong in a gym. If you just want to sell training and move up the cooperate latter, then LA fit is the best place to do it. They pay the GM's, VP's, ect, very well. You can move up quickly if you're willing to bust your butt for a bit because of the high volume turn over.

Good luck

AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmericanPsycho is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I doubt this is it but are you talking about LA Fitness in Long Beach, CA?

BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500) BC02 is not very helpful. (-500)
    the ones in az suck

Originally Posted by ThaiFighter_83 View Post
    The whole reason why I got into personal training was to teach people what I've learned in my years of working out, and to actually HAVE TIME to work out.
    Exactly. If you're working long, inflexible hours, etc, and don't have the time or energy to work YOURSELF out, that hurts your image as a trainer - you're client looks up to you to model your health lifestyle.

BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BIEN_DIESEL is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

LA FITNESS IS A HORRIBLE JOB TO BE WORKING THERE, A NEW WORKER EACH DAY, SOMEONE GETS FIRED EVERYDAY

THE FAT MANAGER GETS FATTER, THEY DONT EVEN WORKOUT AND IF U DONT MAKE ENOUGH SALES, UR FIRED!
    Fictional character
    Natural just means you're able to beat a piss test, doesn't mean anything about the truth.
    1500lbs bench,squat,dl, u mad?
    5'11-6 FEET,210-228LBS
    personal trainer
    aiming to be 260-280lbs of fearfull mass
    max bench,545lbs 11/23/10 565lbs 7/11/11
    barbell curl 185lbs, 175lbs 4 reps 9/1/09
    leg press 1345lbs
    squat 455lbs 9/5/09 sciatic nerve damage
    deadlift 580lbs
    shurgs 865lbs reps
    lil 20.5 inch arms
    FULL VIETNAMESE DU MA! u mad?

devil2687 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

your wrong

Originally Posted by BIEN_DIESEL View Post
    LA FITNESS IS A HORRIBLE JOB TO BE WORKING THERE, A NEW WORKER EACH DAY, SOMEONE GETS FIRED EVERYDAY

THE FAT MANAGER GETS FATTER, THEY DONT EVEN WORKOUT AND IF U DONT MAKE ENOUGH SALES, UR FIRED!
    your just not good at sales bud its all about money what company isnt im doin great. makin money and movin up fast you just have to put in the time.... you just dont have the personality or skill you have to learn it can be a very rewarding job and you can be gettin ROLEX watches if thats what you choose to spend money on all these people have failed thats why they are negative so if you think you have what it takes go for it!!!!
    Last edited by devil2687; 12-07-2009 at 12:11 AM.

Steven619 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with devil. You have to put in the work stay motivated and positive and be a people friendly person in order to be successful where ever you work. I work at an LA Fitness in the San Diego area. Its a pretty busy gym and personal training is pretty popular there. I see opportunity to make a decent amount of money there. But than again you should never put all yours eggs into one basket.
    Steven
    San Diego, CA
    ACE CPT
    Fitness Specialist Cert
    Weightlifter/Bodybuilder.

Registered User silverlightning's Avatar
    silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) silverlightning is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i work out there. at my gym, a few trainers were fired a couple years back. staff comes and goes. that's all I know. as long as I get a good w/o in without it being crowded, i'm good.

good luck. try it. quite if you don't like it.

Originally Posted by Steven619 View Post
    I agree with devil. You have to put in the work stay motivated and positive and be a people friendly person in order to be successful where ever you work. I work at an LA Fitness in the San Diego area. Its a pretty busy gym and personal training is pretty popular there. I see opportunity to make a decent amount of money there. But than again you should never put all yours eggs into one basket.
    Hey Steven,

Just out of curiosity, who's managing the La Mesa gym now?

Thanks,
    C10

Squat - 275 ... 400
    Trap Dead - 400 ... 480

jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why isn't anyone calling this out?
    LA Fitness is the absolute bottom of the barrel. You could start at most Gold's (every franchise is different) or 24 hour and double your money easily. If you have no other option to work there start looking for another job right away.

LA Fitness is not personal trianing. You get an assembly line of half hour clients which you never really get to prescreen your clients and find out goals injuries and do postural assessments on ect.

Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aeries will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I went for a job interview at the salisbury LA Fitness in the uk. The equipment was out of date and I'd have had to go around disturbing members constantly to get 20 sessions a week. I'd have had to pay over 700 pounds (about 1400 dollars I think) a month just to work there. I didn't get the job in the end due to a "lack of experience in business skills" but now I run my own business and work far less hours than I would have done if offerd a job at LA Fitness. I'm making a decent amount so its all good for me.