ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting Anabolic Diet & Log 9/24/08

Well, I've decided to try the Anabolic Diet after extensive research on Keto and related protocols.

I started lifting seriously around the beginning of June after quitting smoking in Feb.

Since then has been a learning process, getting my diet in check, getting a decent training regimen etc.

From February to beginning of June I had been dieting unwittingly with a low fat/high carb combination, basically just restricting cal intake. I learned a little bit, realized that if I wanted to get in real shape I'd have to get a good diet. I started on a 40/40/20 around June at 5'6" 138 lbs.

August 4 I got my first real measurement and was around 148lbs.@15.8% = 124.6 LBM.

8/21/08- 153.8 lbs.@ 17.1% = 127.5 LBM

9/22/08- 159.6 lbs. @ 16.5% BF = 133.27

So, overall on the 40/40/20 @ 2700-3000 cals a day I have gained a total of 20+ lbs. Since 8/4/08 I have put on 8.65 lbs lean mass, 2.95 lbs fat. I have been very pleased with this result, however the prospect of the Anabolic Diet's claims of lean gains while maintaining a 10%BF are alluring to say the least. Not to mention I am a slave to Insulin and its hypnotic, doping powers and extreme crashes.

Plus, this diet works perfect for me. I frickin' love cheese and meat. I'll admit I have something of a sweet tooth at times, but I can keep it in check.

I train Mon & Tues (Arms, Back, Chest, Abs) and Thurs & Fri (Legs, shoulders)

I also do 30-45 min cardio 3-5 times a week PWO depending on my schedule.

I started the diet this morning, so I will be waiting to carb up for next weekend (10/4/08), a total of 9 days on low carb to allow my body to transition to a lipolytic state. I know this first week will be tough. I have never tried a low carb diet before.

I take Animal Pak, Flex & Omega, as well as Pump, though I'm probably going to leave the pump and move to a creatine monohydrate in line with this diet. Any advice or links are appreciated.

I have a fiber supplement, which lists 4g carbs but says they are 4g soluble fiber, so that doesn't count as carbs right?

I will be getting Vit C & E supplementation to cover gaps.

I will be using the Starting/maintenance diet for the first 4 weeks. I am 160 lbs *18 Cals per day= 2880 cal per day allotment, which I will stagger the amount daily to reach a weekly total of 20,160, as Dr. Di Pasquale suggests.

My Macros will be:

Low Carb Weekdays- 65f/30p/5c
    1827 Fat Cals = 208g Fat
    864 Pro Cals = 216g Protein
    144 Carb Cals = 36 G Carbs, but I will keep this under 30 as the author advises.

Weekend Carb up- 30f/10p/60c
    864 Fat Cals = 96g Fat
    288 Pro Cals = 72g Pro
    1728 C Cals = 432g Carbs

I will experiment on the amount, duration and type of carbs used during the carb up. I will cease carb intake once I begin to feel puffy and bloated.

I guess that's it for now. As stated, I am starting at 160 lbs @ 16.5% BF, so I keep you posted on progress.

p.s. I was actually wondering about supplementation with this regimen. There are quite a few things Dr. Di Pasquale lists in his book to use, but there doesn't seem to be any direction on how to use them. He lists the necessary vitamins and dosages which are covered nicely by my Animal Paks and Omega, I'll also be adding more fish and flax oil as part of my supplementation as he suggests.

There are several concoctions the doctor describes for use pre, intra, and post workout, but he doesn't mention amounts, mixtures, etc. Anyone have links to more info on this?

Please review this to see if everything looks on track to you guys, like I said this is my first try with the AD and I'm kind of a noob to Bodybuilding in general, so I am excited for any constructive input anyone may have.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to the journey and discussion.

EDIT: I almost forgot, my goal is to build mass. After 4 wks (or I reach 10% BF), I will go on to the mass gaining program and see how much meat I can pack on.
    Last edited by ianfkirby; 09-24-2008 at 10:45 AM.

ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ianfkirby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Day 2

Okay, so I'm in the 2nd day of my Anabolic Diet and wanted to update progress.

As of yet, my energy/well-being hasn't crashed. For some reason it felt especially hard to get out of bed this morning, but that could be because I am incredibly lazy- and have an extremely comfortable bed. I am always slow and groggy rolling out of the sack. I understand once I become fat adapted this may not be such an issue, a major attraction of this diet for me. My sleeping patterns are always erratic and I hope to remedy that with the AD.

Now that I'm up and about and at work, I feel pretty good. Not quite normal, but definitely not severely deficient. This evening will be my first workout sans carbs, so we'll see how that goes. I expect it to be a little bit lackluster while I'm getting adjusted.

So far, the diet part has been pretty easy. I'm telling you, I could eat shredded products from Dunder Mifflin if there's enough cheese on it.
    It's a little bit different planning/executing my macros because I was so used to my old diet I could pretty much hit my numbers from memory, just being use to what I eat.

With this diet, things are a little different because of fat containing so many more calories per gram than carbs. So, my first day, I overshot things a little bit, but will be able to correct them and get nicely in with the plan by today. I honestly just thought I wasn't going to get enough fat yesterday so I went a little overboard with things like butter, cheese, heavy cream and a nice big serving o' some fatback, a truly decadent delight in my eyes- and a big no no on a low fat diet.

So, here's what I ended up with yesterday:

Target:
    2880 Cals
    212g Fat
    244g Pro
    30g Carbs

Final result 9/24/08

3636 Cals
    301g Fat
    194g Protein
    29g Carbs (-9g Fiber = 20g)

It shouldn't be difficult at all for me to pull those number in to my goals. I actually think I overshot becuase so many people have said they have a hard time getting all of their cals on this diet, I was thinking of having to practially bing to get it all down. Now, I realize hitting 3000 cals per day shouldn't be tough at all.

Here's a look at my menu from yesterday because I know someone will ask:

Food formats will be in Cals/fat/protein/carbs

Bfast 10 am

2 large eggs (204cal/15g/14g/3g) cooked in
    2 tbs butter (overkill) (204/23g/0g/0g) and smothered in
    2 oz shredded cheddar (228cal/19g/14g/1g)
    3 Sausage Links (200cal/17g/11g/0g)
    2 strips Bacon (70cal/6g/5g/0g)
    Animal Pak (8Cal/0g/3g/1g)

Bfast Total: 914 Cals (!) 80g Fat, 47g Pro, 5g Carb

Snack 1:08 pm

Oscar Meyer Jumbo weiner (170cal/16g/6g/0g)
    String Cheese (80cal/6g/6g/0g)
    Animal Omega (60cal/7g/0g/0g)
    Total- 310cal/29g/12g/0g)

Lunch 3:30 pm
    7 oz Top Sirloin (mmmm....steak...) (368cal/24g/35g/0g)
    4 oz Broccoli, steamed (39cal/0g/3g/8g) (3g Fiber) covered with
    2 slices good 'ole K-R-A-F-T American (120cal/9g/6g/2g)
    1 serv. Fiber-Sure (25cal/0g/0g/6g) (5g sol. fiber)
    Animal Flex (9cal/1g/0g/0g)

Total: 561cal/34g/44g/16g - 8g fiber = 8g carb

Dinner: 9pm- (I generally never go this long without eating, usu. only 2-3 hrs, but life got in the way yesterday... damn life)

4 oz Ground Beef (73/27)- (340cal/30g/18g/0g) covered in
    2 oz Whole milk mozzarella (180cal/14g/12g/2g) and cooked in
    1 tbs butter (102cal/12g/0g/0g)
    1.5 cups Jello. sugar free strawberry ( a real life saver for the sweet tooth/carb cravings) (30cal/0g/3g/0g)
    2 oz (way too much) Pork Fatback (later after jello) (360cal/40g/4g/0g)

total: 1092cal/102g/43g/2g (this was actually split into 2 meals during the evening)

Bedtime Shake:
    1 scoop ON Whey (120cal/1g/24g/3g)
    1 scoop ON Casein (120cal/1g/24g/4g)
    4 oz Heavy Cream (400cal/40g/0g/0g)
    1 tbs Flax oil (120cl/14g/0g/0g)

Total: 760cal/56g/48g/7g)

Daily totalt again: 3636cal/301g/194g/20g

Again, I went a little overboard on the fats and a little light on Protein, which should be easy enough to bring in today. Main thing is carbs stayed low so I'm proud of that, thought it would be the most difficult part but wasn't too bad.

Going to workout and weigh in tonight. I'll see if I've taken off any water weight yet. It may be my imagination, but I felt like I saw a little but more definition in the mirror this morning, which was a little more than 24 hours into no carb.

Will post more progress tomorrow, including weigh in, energy during and quality of work out, how diet came in and overall feeling and status.

Edit: An interesting note is that while I had no problems packing all of the above food down, this morning's breakfast was a chore. I had 2 eggs w/ 1oz cheddar and on shake w/ 1 scoop ON Whey, 1 tbs Flax oil, and 2 oz heavy cream and I could hardly get the eggs down. It just felt like there wasn't enough room in my gut. Don't know if this has anything to do with the diet, the metabolic shift, the amount of food I ate yesterday or if its just an off morning, but I was hungry upon rising (finally). Will update if I have any more suppressed appetite issues.

Day 3

Ok in day 3 now, still feeling pretty good. Slightly dragging, a little bit unfocused, but honestly nothing more intense than a after-lunch mid day crash on a normal diet.

Workout went pretty good yesterday, didn't notice any significant difference, possibly because I am still exhausting my glycogen stores.

Cals were much more in line yesterday. I got slightly over my carb alotment, but not by much. Hopefully not enough to eff me up. Total was 50g - 15g fiber = 35g. Any comments on whether this will be too much for me @ 160lbs ? The culprit was my protein powder (ON Whey). I had been expecting not to have to supplement much protein, but apparently the foods I've been eating are a little bit too heavy on fat and not quite enough Pro. ill make adjustments with progress. In any event, 4 scoops of protein throughout the day (upon rising, pre WO, PWO, bed) really accounted for a large portion of my daily carb allotment.

Here are the rest of my macros for the day.

Total Cals: 3,509 (2,984 net w/ exercise- does anyone know if I should count cals burned into my equation of BW * 18= tot. cals? If so, I was really close to my 2,880 target)

251 g Fat, 103g Sat., 148g from ply/mono sources. (I use a killer app on my iPhone to track calories, however it only differentiates fat as either saturated or not, no sub categories for mono & poly) :-(

246 g Protein - 2g over my 244g target

so, that's 3,509cal/251g/244g/35g which is

Fat = 251g = 2,259 cals from fat
    Pro = 246g = 984 cals from pro
    Carb = 35g = 140 cals from Carb

Macros = 64.3%-F/28%-P/4%C = 96.3%
    15g (60cals) Fiber = 2%

98.3% total allows for rounding etc, or I guess I could have some lost cals in there somewhere?

Menu:

Bfast

2 large eggs scrambled- 204cal/15g/14g/3g
    1 oz cheddar cheese - 114cal/9g/7g/0g
    1 Scoop ON Whey- 120cal/1g/24g/3g
    4 tbs heavy cream- 200cal/20g/0g/0g
    1 TBS Flax Oil- 120cal/14g/0/0

Snack

Oscar Meyer Jumbo weiner (170cal/16g/6g/0g)

Lunch
    5oz Chuck Eye Steak- 300cal/22g/22g/0g
    4 oz Broccoli, steamed (39cal/0g/3g/8g) (3g Fiber) covered with
    2 slices good 'ole K-R-A-F-T American (120cal/9g/6g/2g)
    1 serv. Fiber-Sure (25cal/0g/0g/6g) (5g sol. fiber)
    Animal Flex (9cal/1g/0g/0g)
    1 Tsp Fiber-Sure- 25cal/0g/0g/6g - 5g dietary fiber

Pre WO

Anima Pump (30 min Pre WO)

Intra WO
    1/2 scoop NO Xplode - 12cal/0g/0g/3g
    1 scoop Purple Wrath

PWO

Dinner
    2 String Cheese (160cal/12g/12g/0g)
    7oz Chuck Eye Steak- 420cal/32g/32g/0g cooked with
    1 TBS olive oil -119cal/14g/0g/0g (ok to cook with-changes properties?!) w/
    2 TBS Olive Oil Mayo (good stuff!) -100cal/10g/0g/1g (only 1g Sat Fat!)
    1 Egg- 102cal/7g/7g/1g cooked in
    1 TBS Butter - 102ca;/12g/0g/0g and covered in
    1 oz whole milk mozzarella- 90cal/7g/6g/1g
    1 Tsp Fiber-Sure- 25cal/0g/0g/6g - 5g dietary fiber

Bed
    1 scoop ON Whey (120cal/1g/24g/3g)
    1 scoop ON Casein (120cal/1g/24g/4g)
    2 oz Heavy Cream (200cal/20g/0g/0g)
    1 tbs Flax oil (120cal/14g/0g/0g)

I think that's it for now. Feeling pretty good today, leg day is this afternoon, yikes!

I've also included a baseline pic to give an idea of my body comp starting out.

Until Later,

Ian
    Attached Images

tayphill has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should probably move this to the log section

Crap, you're right. How do I do that? Mods?

This thread has been copied to http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post225495571 in the Keto Logs section