NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working out 1-2 days a week?

The fall rowing season starts Monday, and I have practice until 6 every day after school, and in the morning on Saturdays (at the same time the gym is open). I will be unable to lift every day of the week except Sunday, and possibly Friday after practice, because I have a ton of homework.

Right now I am doing WS4SB, and I have been making good progress on it. My goal is strength. What routine can I do to not lose strength and possibly gain it during the rowing season if I only work out Sunday and Friday after practice? thanks

u guys...srsly... FatKidsOnMopeds's Avatar
    FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You're very limited by only lifting two times a week. If it was up to me I would either take an extended break from rowing or lifting instead of trying to do both but then again that's just me. But if I were to lift twice a week, I would go heavy upper then heavy lower. Keep it basic and do big compount movements and heavy auxillaries. Also plenty of rest and plenty of food.

DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are joking?

FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DocTest View Post
    You are joking?
    You are 58.

DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DocTest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by FatKidsOnMopeds View Post
    You are 58.
    You are 18?

You are 18?
    I am 18.

Originally Posted by FatKidsOnMopeds View Post
    I am 18.
    I am not 58.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    first howework should never be an excuse, you do not have enough homework that it stops you from going to the gym for 1 hour. Your results will suck going 2x a week, but what I would do if I somehow was stuck in this situation would be full body those two days very hard.

NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NeverCutting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by someonefat View Post
    first howework should never be an excuse, you do not have enough homework that it stops you from going to the gym for 1 hour. Your results will suck going 2x a week, but what I would do if I somehow was stuck in this situation would be full body those two days very hard.
    I can't really full body both days, because they are only 2 days apart. and I have that much homework because I am taking way too many AP classes and will be up late every night even if I don't lift.

Originally Posted by NeverCutting View Post
    I can't really full body both days, because they are only 2 days apart. and I have that much homework because I am taking way too many AP classes and will be up late every night even if I don't lift.
    Do abs and barbell curls.

strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by someonefat View Post
    Your results will suck going 2x a week
    tell that to the guys lifting 2x a week and squatting above a grand

Do abs and barbell curls.
    I thought it about it a little more. You can add 3 sets of calf raises.

someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) someonefat is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by strongman963 View Post
    tell that to the guys lifting 2x a week and squatting above a grand
    There have been no lifters working about 2x a week their whole lifting career that squat over a grand.

Originally Posted by NeverCutting View Post
    I understand it can be overwhelming but everyone's been there, including me. High school is a joke. It's easy once you learn how to study correctly. You can do both and easily too. And I still think you should go with what I suggested: heavy upper then heavy lower.

SFW and grow a beard Blarnee_92's Avatar
    Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000) Blarnee_92 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am not 58.
    Then you are a liar.
    **New Jersey Crew 732**

The Barbender Bartender

strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) strongman963 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Blarnee_92 View Post
    Then you are a liar.
    and you are in the green *hint*

metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10) metaldrumr7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    in season sport lifting shouldn't be too intense, just work to maintain your current strength levels and every now and then try to increase your max but off season should be when you make the most gains

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can workout 2 days a week. There are a few strongmen who do actually train to death 2 times a week when they have tight schedules.

I would divide each workout into one primary lower body movement, one primary upper body movement and then follow up with accessory work.

Since you are working out only twice a week, I would suggest a template like:

Workout A
    1.) Deadlift Variant
    2.) Bench Press Variant
    3.) Posterior Chain Exercise
    4.) Bench Press Assistant Exercise
    5.) Ab Exercise

Workout B
    1.) Squat Variant
    2.) Overhead Press Variant
    3.) Posterior Chain / Lunge Variant
    4.) Overhead Press Variant
    5.) Ab Work

Deadlift Variant - Deadlifts, Deadlifts from deficit, Snatch Grip Deadlifts, Rack Deadlifts, Speed Deadlifts.

Bench Press Variant - Flat/Incline/Decline Bench Press, Close Grip Flat/Incline/Decline Bench Press, Floor Press, Board Press, Speed Press, Pin Press

Posterior Chain Exercise - Glute Ham Raises, unilateral box Squats, Pull Throughs, Good Mornings, etc

Bench Press Assistant Exercise - Dumbbell Presses at various inclinations, close grip press at various angles, Back exercises like rows, pull-ups, dips, push-ups, etc..

Ab Work - Wood chops, Lat pull down sit-ups, front planks, side planks, bar roll outs, dragon flies, reverse crunches.

Squat Variant - Squats, Box Squats, Front Squats, Front Box Squats, Anderson Front Squats.

Overhead Press Variant - Push Press, Strict Military Press, Pin Press

Lunge Variant - Front Lunges, Reverse Lunges, Bulgarian Squats, Reverse Lunges with front foot elevated, Reverse Lunges using front squat grip, dumbbell lunges, barbell lunges

Overhead Press Assistant Exercises - Pull-ups, Rows, Chin-ups, Seated Dumbbell Press, Bilateral Dumbbell Presses, Unilateral Presses, Standing Presses, Seated Presses.

You can wave the volume over 4 weeks for example:

Exercise: Week 1 (High) | Week 2 (Medium) | Week 3 (Very High) | Week 4 (Low)
    Deficit Deadlifts: 4x3, 2x7 | 4x2, 1x7 | 5x3, 2x7 | 2x2, 1x7

Changing the volume every week will allow you to go balls to the wall every single time you hit the gym. The catch is that you have to maintain good form otherwise you're gonna develop some bad habits which will be hard to break.

You can rotate exercises on a 4 week basis. There are plenty to choose from.

You can do Speed work in the same workout. I would suggest you play around with first doing speed work and then volume work and vice versa. Just try and keep a rough plan. If you like to have plans, have them - but be prepared to improvise when necessary.

This is just off the top of my head. I hope you reach your goals.

Good luck

ps: I prefer to train 4x a week but there is no such rule as you have to lift x times a week. It just depends on your goals and how you want to do things. So be open minded and experiment. You can have 2 formal workouts per week and perhaps every once in a while you will get the chance to hit the gym a third time. Use that extra day to experiment with other exercises like arm work, grip work, etc.

Also, make sure you focus on hip mobility, hamstring flexibility and lower back stability. A lot of people overlook this and it gets them in trouble. So make sure you do a thorough warm-up with mobility drills, etc. Dan John and Joe Defranco and Eric Cressey have some good vids on youtube. Have a look at them.

Good luck once again
    Last edited by Andalite; 09-20-2008 at 08:25 PM.