Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Jerome Dinh's Pec Tear Journal

It was 09-07-08, Sunday day 1 of my new supplement & training regiment. I was so excited. I just took 2nd (lost by 1 point to my good bro) at the NPC Flex Wheeler Classic(FWC) Middles and I was Runner-up in the 2008 Muscletech Transformation contest and received my new supplements as part of my prize. Consecutively, since my the FWC ( 07-12-08) I was getting stronger by the day, I was the biggest and strongest ever been. I was fully confident that I'd have enough time to pack on some serious to compete as a LHW at the 2009 NPC North American. I did my normal morning routine, cook breakfast, spent sometime with the family while my food digested before training, took my NanoVapor (i cant train without it anymore!) then headed to LA Fitness for a serious chest workout. I wasnt feeling big or strong and felt a little fatigued. After 5min warmup on the treadmill I headed downstairs to hit the weights. There was probably only 2 people in the gym LOL...nice and dead, the way i like it. I did a few warmup sets on the Flat bench, stretched out and i still wasnt feeling super strong as i normally have in the past. My first working set I did 335 x 6. I was surprised, though i didnt feel strong I was a little stronger then last week. I thought OKAY, if i'm going to get bigger well, better add some weight. I put on 350, nervous because i havent done this weight since i was 220(keep in mind i'm 195lbs now). I got under the bench after some serious concentration, unracked the weight, did my 1st rep, no problem..AWESOME, lets get at least 4 more, i lowered the weight..felt great and started to push up and all of a sudden i heard these quick snaps/pops( keep in mind i had my headphones blasting too) in my right chest and felt my chest buckle and quickly racked the weight right there. I thought SH!T i tore my chest, i KNEW i did. I headed to the bathroom to do a quick exam. Oh yeah i did something, i lifted my right arm and seen this bump in the middle of my chest..FU@K! I went back, put the weights away with my good arm and floored it home. I took some advil immediately and iced it and got on the internet to find out what to do. My mother-in-law advised that we go to the ER 1st and foremost. After about 30mins i seen the nurse who did a physical exam and said they believed i had a partial pec tear and referred me to a Orthopedic office they work with.

Pic at my prime:

Here is a pic after the damage:

This couldnt have been better timing because my wifes 1st day back from Maturity leave was that following day! Once she got into work, she spoke with the doctors she works with and they referred me to Dr. Peter Daly of Summit Orthopedics. I got an appointment to see him on Wed. They did an X-ray to make sure no bone came off with the tear. Then sent me to get an MRI. I sat in the machine for like 45mins and listened to 93X! I was dead tired so i welcomed it LOL If any of you have even been in it, they strap your as$ down and you slide into this big cylinder with an headset. About every 4mins you faintly hear this clicks and beeps for ..45mins. Afterward they told me it would take a couple days for the results WTF. I guess it didnt matter being Dr Daly was out until next week. Friday the wife checked online and seen the results and read them to me. Its all a bunch of medical jargon but what i gathered it was a partial tear? Saturday the doctors assistance called me and said they got the results and said i had a pec tear and that it was REPAIRABLE BY SURGERY. She said Dr Daly would call me on Monday about the details.

Pic that same day:

Here we are Monday, no one could tell me how long i could expect to be off work, when i would have mobility, how long rehab was..BECAUSE the doctor specializes in joint replacement. Granted this doctor hasnt done too many pec tear procedures BUT he has some serious creditials. Hes a grad from Harvard, Mayo Clinic and some other prestigious university and has 22 years under his belt. I've read nothing but positive reviews and my wifes employers(doctors) know him and refer some of their customers to him.

I've read up and down that surgery is a must.....so here is the begining of my journal. I hope this comes in useful for other unfortunate hardcord dedicated as a mo-fo bodybuilder/fitness enthusiast. I'll be updating this with pics and commentaries...primarily for myself but feel free to drop in and comment or give me some feedback.

I figure i'll have NOTHING to do for 3 months so why not start up my own personal journal.

FYI - there will be spelling/grammar

Also I in fact have trained legs twice since the injury. I figured I could split up my leg routine and do quads and hams separate. Thurs following the injury I did Quads. I surprisingly had a great workout though i did drop the weight significantly. I warmed up 10mins on the treadmill, then did some leg extentions and to keep my body down i put my good hand in between my legs. I really hit the inner and outter quads and got a killer burn and pump. Then i headed to the smith machine and did squats...holding the bar with my good arm LOL It was a little strange but I managed to pull it off. I keep my bad arm limp the whole time. Luckily i have some pretty thick traps so i dont really need to hold the bar that much. Then i went to the Leg Press Machine and rep'd out then finished up on leg extentions. Afterwards MAN i felt great, not just physically but mentally..being in the gym makes me happy! Its been my life since 1995! My 2nd day back in the gym was yesterday, i did Hams. I first started out doing some standing leg curls on the machine, got a killer burn. Then did some wide stance squats, knees and toes facing 10 and 2oclock and squeezed and concentrated on the hams. There is no way to avoid hitting the quads but most the stress was on the hams. Afterwards I did some Hack Squats, toes and knees facing 10 & 2oclock...and ALWAYS AS$ TO THE GROUND. I then finished up with standing leg curls again. Yes the legs are sore! I have one more leg day this Wed and I cant wait.
    Last edited by jeromedinh; 09-15-2008 at 08:26 PM.
    Jerome "The Other Rock" Dinh
    NPC Nationally Qualified from 1996-2000 and 2004-2013 & Fitness Model
    Force Factor Athlete
    www.********.com/theotherrock
    www.********.com/jeromedinh
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/jeromedinh/
    http://jeromedinh.wordpress.com/

jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jeromedinh is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

09-16-08/ 196lbs

Hams are definately sore! I deeply miss being in the gym and feel like such a slob especially after pounding down some KFC last night and had some residual left overs for lunch..yummy. Today i'm sitting at 196lbs.

The bruising on my arm is the worse it's been. It's a dark purple and the outter chest is showing some serious bruising now. Besides that, I have no pain, maybe just a bit uncomfortable if i raise my arm too high. Though my right delt has a bit of sharp pain now and again.

Today, I put in my application at work for short term disability, if approved i'll get 7 weeks paid off at 100% thereafter i believe its only 65%. I hope i dont have to be off work that long! We're a small group and it would greatly affect everyone else with my absence. Plus we're the black sheep of the company. Now i'm just crossing my figures that i'll get approved and all i have to worry about is getting better.

I'm a little annoyed, so far I havent heard back from the doctors office about how long i'll be out and the details of my MRI. I know Dr Daly is a busy guy but man i need to schedule out my life for the next 3 months. Not only am i going to get small but i'm certainly going to get fat too.

One of my goals during this time off is to find a supplement company who would like to sponsor me once i'm able to train again.
    Force Factor Athlete

09-17-08 196lbs

I called my health clinic and scheduled my Pre-Op H&P(physical). Its a simple physical test which took about 2mins, then we went over some questions. Basically they want to make sure the blood will clot so there is no complications during surgery. Then i had them fax over my paperwork to the surgical center.

Afterwards, I was off to the gym. I had an awesome workout. The quads were totally destroyed so much that for the first time i could barely do my walk downstairs to the main floor from the cardio level! Legs almost gave up on me with each step. My workout consisted of some leg extensions, then did some smith machine squats, hack sqauts then finished up with leg extensions hitting the outter quads(toes pointed out as far as possible). I started to do some calves as i got to rep 18 i felt a sharp pinch in my right quad.....I immediately stopped. Thats a warning sign and i NEVER ignore them! No i didnt have any warning signs before i tore my pec...that is the scary part. Rule of thumb, DONT GO AT OR ABOVE 90% OF MAX! After this little episode, I'm going to keep my reps no lower then 10! And like Arnold use to do to warmup the upperbody, I'm going to do some pullups before every upperbody workout. I'll probably do assisted on the pullup machine..depending on how heavy i am. MAN i cant believe this is my last day of training for another 1 1/2-2 weeks! Even when i'm able to train legs i have to be careful not to strain too much and irritate my injury. I can say this much, i have NO PAIN at all in my chest or arm. I can even bounce my right pec, though it does feel a bit awkward. Even when i lift my arms to do a double bicep, it still almost looks normal.

I have to admit, not training upperbody since my injury...I feel fat and a little smaller in my upper body. My legs still look thick and solid.

Current pic of the tear area:

Tomorrow, I head to work for my last day with a leave of absence anywhere from 2-4weeks. It depends on my pain level and how bad the injury is. I still feel guilty leaving my co-workers less one guy for so long BUT i know i have to think about myself. Health is #1 because without it, you have NOTHING! You could have the best body in the world, all of the money in the world, what ever you could imagine but without health its all meaningless.

Oh one more thing, being i'm not breaking down my whole body I've cut my calories down by 15-20%.
    Last edited by jeromedinh; 09-17-2008 at 07:22 PM.
    Force Factor Athlete

barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barneygym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ouch man, that tear looks nasty! Do chicks dig it?

Good luck on the surgery, and recovery.
    Currently: bulking.

Originally Posted by barneygym View Post
    Ouch man, that tear looks nasty! Do chicks dig it?

Good luck on the surgery, and recovery.
    It looks much nastier then it appears. There is no pain what so ever.

LOL, they'd be freaks if thats the case.

Thanks, I appreciate it!
    Force Factor Athlete

S297 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    sorry to hear abt the injury. Thank GOD your shoulders are fine. Pec tears do get healed but shoulder injury is more or less welcome to hell and stay out of gym for years. yes, years.

good luck with surgery and recovery.

aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aloha_izzie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Good luck tomorrow!!!

Hi Jerome!

I wanted to wish you a speedy recovery after your surgery tomorrow. Hope all goes well! I know when Layne had his surgery I was a nervous wreck not as much for the actual surgery but rather wishing that everything would go according to plan so that he could get back to one of his passions, which is training. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Izzie
    Isabel Norton (Layne's Pitbull)
    NGA FIGURE PRO

MEMBER TEAM NORTON
    www.biolayne.com

TEAM SCIVATION
    www.scivation.com

The LATin ASSasin:

Video 1: http://videos.bodybuilding.com/video/9141/isabel-norton-lago-the-latin-assassin-1-contest-prep

Video 2: http://videos.bodybuilding.com/video/9371/isabel-norton-lago-the-latin-assassin-2-two-weeks-out

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Jerome,

what is your job? how much lifting does it require or typing? I was in a sling for 6.5 weeks but I was still decently mobile after about 2 weeks post surgery.

Also, have you talked to the doc about the actual procedure? Is it a tear at the muscle:tendon junction or is it at the tendon: bone?

Originally Posted by S297 View Post
    sorry to hear abt the injury. Thank GOD your shoulders are fine. Pec tears do get healed but shoulder injury is more or less welcome to hell and stay out of gym for years. yes, years.

good luck with surgery and recovery.
    Thanks! When i first met my wife she had shoulder surgery. Her shoulder kept coming out of socket so they had to tighten the muscle....it wasnt fun for her but now shes good to go.

Originally Posted by aloha_izzie View Post
    Hi Jerome!

I wanted to wish you a speedy recovery after your surgery tomorrow. Hope all goes well! I know when Layne had his surgery I was a nervous wreck not as much for the actual surgery but rather wishing that everything would go according to plan so that he could get back to one of his passions, which is training. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Izzie
    I hope all goes well, especially considering i'm going to be out of training for a great while. I'm not so nervous for the surgery, i've had a couple other surgical prodecures in my youth. I appreciate your concern and i hope all is well with you and yours!

Originally Posted by str8flexed View Post
    Jerome,

what is your job? how much lifting does it require or typing? I was in a sling for 6.5 weeks but I was still decently mobile after about 2 weeks post surgery.

Also, have you talked to the doc about the actual procedure? Is it a tear at the muscle:tendon junction or is it at the tendon: bone?
    I'm an Asset Manager at Wells Fargo so basically i'm on the computer and phone all day. I'm constantly typing and moving about in my cube. The doc thinks i'll be in a sling for 4 weeks?? I should be able to get 7 weeks paid at 100% leave time for short term disability..I'd love to use it LOL but i have an obligation with my crew at work. So as soon as i start feeling comfortable and mobile, its back to the work shop.

Yes it was a muscle and tendon tear, it tore away from the bone. So it will be a nice repair but a longer recovery from what i understand.

Wasnt yours muscle and tendon tear? Hows training been since?
    Force Factor Athlete

str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    mine tore mostly on the muscle belly side of the muscle:tendon junction and it was very questionable whether or not it would be repairable. Fortunately the surgery worked. You rehab will happen much faster than mine though, in 6 months you will be pretty much good to go, whereas I am still restricted on many things and won't be released til 10 months post surgery

mine tore mostly on the muscle belly side of the muscle:tendon junction and it was very questionable whether or not it would be repairable. Fortunately the surgery worked. You rehab will happen much faster than mine though, in 6 months you will be pretty much good to go, whereas I am still restricted on many things and won't be released til 10 months post surgery

Well i see it this way, the time off training the upper body will give me time to my legs up-to-par with the upper body. I'm kind of excited about it. I use to HATE training legs. I didnt start training legs until 8 years after i started bodybuilding!

On the brighter side bro, at least we still have our legs to train!

Do you or have you slip your quads and hams and trained them separately? I was a HUGE skeptic until lately. My legs are positively responding to that training method...i absolutely love it. But I always either have the quads or hams sore...so its always a challenge to walk LOL.
    Force Factor Athlete

09-18-08 193.5lbs

My last day of work is complete. Not much for an update today. Everyone keeps asking me if i'm nervous?? I'm not nervous at all and ready to get this done with and start anew.

Tomorrow, I have to be at the hospital at 5:45am, in surgery at 6:30am and i was told it would take 1 1/2 hours then 45mins to recover before homebound. I suppose i'll be on some pain meds, which i'll entertain for the first couple days but afterwards I'll try and tough it out. I mean as is with all the protein and supplements i take, I dont need anything else to make my liver work harder!

I'm trying to picture my life for the next 6 months and what it will entail. I picture it like this; Surgery, pain for a good week and bed ridden. Then see the doc, probably get my arm moving a bit. Still having the wife cloth me LOL Go to the gym, hit some legs..only machines that doesnt compromise my upper body position too much. At or about 4 weeks i hope to be able to put on my own clothes, hit the gym and start doing some smith machine squats, hack squats, etc. and go back to work. Then i believe I'll be in physical therapy for the next 8-12 weeks. Finally , start doing some light weight training for another 12 weeks and slowly/gradually increase the weight and hit some cardio and lose some fat to get ready for summer. About April is when i should be able to get a bit more serious, at that point i'll probably still be wearing only shorts and tees. I hope to sport a tank top by June...by my b-day. Once i get my bodyfat to an ideal level, then i'll start to slowly bulk again after the summer is done. So I figure this little injury will set me back 1 year.

On the brighter side, my legs WILL be the best ever and I'll have more time to spend with my family.

OH and did i mention i've eat the most fast food (volume wise) since my injury in YEARS! Taco Bell today, BK yesterday, KFC day before yesterday, McDonalds...Umbria Pizza..the list is sickening LOL
    Force Factor Athlete

Originally Posted by jeromedinh View Post
    Well i see it this way, the time off training the upper body will give me time to my legs up-to-par with the upper body. I'm kind of excited about it. I use to HATE training legs. I didnt start training legs until 8 years after i started bodybuilding!

On the brighter side bro, at least we still have our legs to train!

Do you or have you slip your quads and hams and trained them separately? I was a HUGE skeptic until lately. My legs are positively responding to that training method...i absolutely love it. But I always either have the quads or hams sore...so its always a challenge to walk LOL.
    no i started working them both 3x/week and I put almost 3/4" on them. Now they never get sore because they are so well conditioned from such frequent training

Originally Posted by jeromedinh View Post
    My last day of work is complete. Not much for an update today. Everyone keeps asking me if i'm nervous?? I'm not nervous at all and ready to get this done with and start anew.

Tomorrow, I have to be at the hospital at 5:45am, in surgery at 6:30am and i was told it would take 1 1/2 hours then 45mins to recover before homebound. I suppose i'll be on some pain meds, which i'll entertain for the first couple days but afterwards I'll try and tough it out. I mean as is with all the protein and supplements i take, I dont need anything else to make my liver work harder!

I'm trying to picture my life for the next 6 months and what it will entail. I picture it like this; Surgery, pain for a good week and bed ridden. Then see the doc, probably get my arm moving a bit. Still having the wife cloth me LOL Go to the gym, hit some legs..only machines that doesnt compromise my upper body position too much. At or about 4 weeks i hope to be able to put on my own clothes, hit the gym and start doing some smith machine squats, hack squats, etc. and go back to work. Then i believe I'll be in physical therapy for the next 8-12 weeks. Finally , start doing some light weight training for another 12 weeks and slowly/gradually increase the weight and hit some cardio and lose some fat to get ready for summer. About April is when i should be able to get a bit more serious, at that point i'll probably still be wearing only shorts and tees. I hope to sport a tank top by June...by my b-day. Once i get my bodyfat to an ideal level, then i'll start to slowly bulk again after the summer is done. So I figure this little injury will set me back 1 year.

On the brighter side, my legs WILL be the best ever and I'll have more time to spend with my family.

OH and did i mention i've eat the most fast food (volume wise) since my injury in YEARS! Taco Bell today, BK yesterday, KFC day before yesterday, McDonalds...Umbria Pizza..the list is sickening LOL
    well first off protein doesn't really make your liver work harder. You also will want to keep your diet even more strict, that was the ONLY thing that saved me from becoming obese lol.

I also said i was not going to use pain meds. Just trust me when I say that was a dumb idea. I was off of them after 72 hours, but for the first 48 hours, it's pretty bad

ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericpdell2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was just reading your thread, since I have to have surgery for a torn pec also on Oct. 22nd.. I hope everything goes well and I have few questions for you. I have my pre-op on the 9th of october and and curious to know what exactly happens at the pre-op. Im in the military so i am kinda curious to how long they will keep me out of work also. But Like I said, I wish ya the best and will be checking your thread out daily for updates keep your head up and be patient it will comeback......
    HYPERDROL X2 TESTER LOG (sponsored)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2083751

PRO-ANABOL TESTER LOG (sponsored)http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2986601

Oxodrol Pro Loghttp://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3548001

Originally Posted by ericpdell2 View Post
    I was just reading your thread, since I have to have surgery for a torn pec also on Oct. 22nd.. I hope everything goes well and I have few questions for you. I have my pre-op on the 9th of october and and curious to know what exactly happens at the pre-op. Im in the military so i am kinda curious to how long they will keep me out of work also. But Like I said, I wish ya the best and will be checking your thread out daily for updates keep your head up and be patient it will comeback......
    Bro, you need to get surgery ASAP! I had mine done yesterday(11 days after the tear) and the doc said the muscle and tendon was already starting to attach..in the wrong area!

Pre-op they just do a basic physical, its nothing and they draw blood. You'll be out for a good long time(3 months?) if your physcial in your job.

Good luck and surgery SUCKED.

I'll type more about it, i had some post-surgery complications and stayed at teh hospital overnight!

Here are some pics:

Force Factor Athlete

yup that's pretty much what mine looked like afterwards

yup that's pretty much what mine looked like afterwards
    well i'm looking to train legs next Friday. i'm very excited for this new phase. i know i'll have to keep a strict diet...which will suck when you're not feeling good.

i've got ******** & oxycontin for pain. i'm def going to stay on them for 72hours. pain is just consistant ache..it sucks its constaint.

the repair is still a bit juicy and since i got home today i've been icing it every 30mins for 30mins. my lower bicep is sore as hell, more so them my delt & chest..i think from being in the sling. the sling was an extra large but still to small for my arm so it must have restricted the blood floor for a good while. i didnt notice until i got home.

right hand is killing me....i'll update more later
    Force Factor Athlete

09-19-08 Surgery Day

4:30am took a shower and the wife and I took off for downtown St.Paul to the Landmark Surgery Center. It didnt quite go as smoothly as I imagined. We got there, there was no receptionist in the office or anyone for that matter. So we sat and watched the news, 10mins later they finally showed up. They had me gown up and went over question after question, which i had to repeat my answer to the doc, nurse and anesthetic md. Blood work came back great BUT due to my medical history and the fact that my thyroid level was higher then normal they WOULDNT do surgery on me! If they did and my thyroid was higher then normal it would go into a thyroid storm which would be fatal! Luckily we were right next door to the hospital so they drew some blood work to have it tested to make sure my thyroid was ok. After 1 hour, we got the results and i was good to go, it came back normal THANK GOD. I did not want to wait for this to happen, any longer it would have been too late.

Finally they put me under, as i woke i could bearly keep my eyes open. I struggled and struggled, i tried to eat and drink but the drugs just overwhelmed my system. I hurled and dry hurled over and over. We thought it was done so they started to wheel me to the elevator to our car and i started to dry heave again. It was too risky to go home so they had an ambulance take me to United Hospital overnight. My brother and mom stayed with me most of the night as i was in and out. My bro ended up taking off after staying there for 10hours to make sure i was okay, the wife had to leave to take care of the kids but my mom stayed with me overnight. The overnight nurses and care SUCKED! I was very displeased, i had to call them TWICE for my pain killers and i RAN OUT of fluid that was keeping me hydrated..I had to point it out to them!

Upon waking up the next morning(i woke up every HOUR!) I was feeling much better. So me and my mom went for a several mile walk downtown in my gown LOL. It was so refreshing to get air and think straight. I dont care about the pain, the worse feeling is not having control of yourself, being under the influence. Dr Daly met me up in my room and explained the procedure.

When they cut into me, Dr Daly was a bit baffled. The MRI read that my tendon was disconnected from my bone but when they cut into me they seen the tendon was still connected...after he dug around they found that only 20% of the tendon was connected and 80% was disconnected. He had a hard time pulling the muscle and tendon to my bone. He cut a grove into my bone and drilled some holes into it. Attached the tendon in the grove, sown the tendon to the bone and the tendon together. As he was sowing me up, he said NORMALLY people have subcontaineous fat to help seal the wound but i didnt have any. So he had to sow the skin together. Bascially there is only the skin keeping my muscle from being exposed..no extra protection if you will.

The wife showed up and took me home. Got home and laid around and relaxed...there is no place like home!!

Today 09-21-08, I took my 1st shower. I quickly washed my hair and rinsed the bod with the assistance of the wifey. The doc said it was okay to have the water run over my wound. I lightly padded it afterwards, got some new bandage and I'm good to go. Though it still a bit juicy. My arm is swollen, fingers are looking better. The doc also said i can move my arm up and down from the elbow and that i could bent over and rotate my arm at the delt in a small circle now and again. Typing this has been a long and tedious process plus my right forearm is getting one hell of a burn. I'm taking Percaset every 4-5hours either 1 or 2 pills depending on my pain and icing every 30-60mins. I've decided not to take my Oxycontin. I've also been able to eat normal since returning home and had normal bowel movements.

As an active person THIS SUCKS i'm bored out of my mind and not being able to work and due stuff around the house AND not going to the gym kills me. All in good time i guess.
    Last edited by jeromedinh; 09-21-2008 at 03:01 PM.
    Force Factor Athlete

ROSEVILLECA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ROSEVILLECA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What do you think...

I am really glad you posted this thread... I ripped my chest on 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and after two very poor doctor visits I got referred to a sports therapy clinic, and they aren't going to see me till 10/08, I thought that it was too long. Problem is that my tear hurt like a son of a... I don't have very many good pics here, but the bruising is about twice as bad as the pics I have here... yet no surgery??? My bruising appears worse than yours was... I think I need to call my doctor in the a.m.!!! What do you think
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by ROSEVILLECA View Post
    I am really glad you posted this thread... I ripped my chest on 2 weeks ago tomorrow, and after two very poor doctor visits I got referred to a sports therapy clinic, and they aren't going to see me till 10/08, I thought that it was too long. Problem is that my tear hurt like a son of a... I don't have very many good pics here, but the bruising is about twice as bad as the pics I have here... yet no surgery??? My bruising appears worse than yours was... I think I need to call my doctor in the a.m.!!! What do you think
    surgeries have been performed up to 10 years post tear but the sooner you get in the better the outcome

Originally Posted by ROSEVILLECA View Post
    yeah bro, call in the am. ive been told by many people to get the surgery done asap. my friend dan decker, his training partner had pec tear surgery 2 weeks after the injury and now he said you cant even tell it happened.

keep me posted bro, call some orthopedic clinics..not too many will have experience in this type of injury but shoulder docs should be able to mend it with no problem. there will be acouple ways they can fix it under the knife. hopefully you dont have much muscle tear.
    Force Factor Athlete

09/23/08

Quick update. So in the hospital aside from my wound, my throat was super dry and sore. Everytime i tried to clear my throat, i felt something in the back of my throad. I went to examine and my UVULA was stretched and touching my tounge. It was annoying but i figured it was from the surgeon shoving the tube down my throat before surgery.

I get home after being released from the hospital, my first meal was subway! After nothing but a liquid diet i was in need of substance. They told me i need to eat whole grain/multi grain foods to get my system moving. After pounding down my 6"sub and chips i noticed my throat was sore. No biggie, I figured it was just part of me being dehydrated and surgery.

Here I am 4 days later and it ABSOLUTELY KILLS to swallow food, any food or beverage! I dread to eat any of my meals, it hurts that bad. I'm hoping this will pass soon but its not feeling any better! I'm due to eat my meal now...and i'm not looking forward to it.

Has anyone else experienced this from post-surgery? I've had several surgerys and dont recall this.
    Force Factor Athlete

hmm didn't have that problem. did you contact the doc?

i also had subway first post surgery meal haha.

got it as soon as we left the docs office. my first thought was "it's been over 16 hours since i've stimulated protein synthesis damnit!"

hmm didn't have that problem. did you contact the doc?

i also had subway first post surgery meal haha.

got it as soon as we left the docs office. my first thought was "it's been over 16 hours since i've stimulated protein synthesis damnit!"
    I wasnt going to, i have post-surgery appointment next Monday so I thought i would wait and bring it up then. But people have asked me to call the doc and ask about it so i just put a call in.

AHAHA no doubt. Liquid diets SUCK, especially when there is no protein involved!
    Force Factor Athlete

09/24/08 194.5lbs

I took my second shower today since surgery by myself. The wound isnt as juicy but my shoulder always feels like its out of joint. Not much i can do right now being i dont raise my delt at all. My throat is still sore as a mo-fo. The mother-in-law said after her surgery, her throat hurt for 2 weeks. Today was my first time out of the house. It felt nice to get out and move around some but i was very tired shortly after, not to mention sore. I can put my clothes on and shower myself, it just takes some creativity and time. Its hard enough doing everything with one arm, its even harder doing it with your left arm when your right handed. Eating with silverware LOL thats a good challenge but i'm getting use to it. I've made some changes so everything i need it accessable using the left hand. For example, the mouse on my computer is on the left side rather then the right.

One subject i havent touched on is SLEEPING. I'm use to sleeping on my side, after surgery forget it. What i do is have the wife prop a body-pillow on my right side(injured side) so im slightly tilted and i undo my sling and sleep with my arm striaght or on my chest. Sleeping sucks but i'm getting use to sleeping on my back. I have a huge livingroom chair with a long ottoman and i take naps on that comfortably in front of the boob-tube.

I dont always keep my arm in a sling, part-time i walk around with my arm at the side to keep it stretched and it relives pressure on my back, biceps, triceps. Honestly my arm feels WAY better out of the sling.

Well I'm still taking pain meds but only 2 times a day. I'm trying to get off of them and just deal with the pain. Its uncomfortable but i dont want to be on any drugs.

Thank GOD for my wife, shes so wonderful. Shes had to take on doing all the duties, cooking and cleaning, etc. Without her it would be very difficult to manage this whole ordeal.
    Last edited by jeromedinh; 09-24-2008 at 04:28 PM.
    Force Factor Athlete

be happy bro... i had to be in the brace 10 days no movement whatsoever... i could not shower for 10 days post surgery... only sponge baths.

even after 10 days I still had to keep the brace on and had to leave it cuffed to my side for 6.5 weeks! couldn't bring my arm up from my side for 6.5 weeks lol. After I got it off i could barely move my arm

be happy bro... i had to be in the brace 10 days no movement whatsoever... i could not shower for 10 days post surgery... only sponge baths.

even after 10 days I still had to keep the brace on and had to leave it cuffed to my side for 6.5 weeks! couldn't bring my arm up from my side for 6.5 weeks lol. After I got it off i could barely move my arm

Dude that would suck and thats what i thought was going to happen to me BUT they just put me in a sling, told me i can move my arm up and down from the elbow, roll my wrist so it doesnt get stiff and to get the blood moving and bend over at the hips and swing my arm in small circles. He also said i can train legs when ever i feel up to it. So compared to your experience, i'm grateful.

Oh and that pain which i thought was in my rotator cuff, actually is from the area where they connected my tendon to the bone. The pain does identical to your should being out of joint.
    Force Factor Athlete

sumptionc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Man I feel for you bro! Injuries suck. Just try not and get to anxious take it nice and slow, so you get a full recovery. Just think of it this way...by the time you recovered you should have legs like Tom Platz
    Chad Sumption
    Mr. Nat. Minnesota 2007
    IFPA Pro Natural Bobybuilder
    NASM Cert. Personal Trainer

aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10) aguy0523 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    man....crazy seeing all these pec tears pop up. when i tore mine i couldnt find anybody that went thru it..lol.

I got a dent in my chest now from it all. U can feel it. Its really disturbing. Visually my pec is a bit diff looking from the otherside. Theres no sweep. It just kinda comes straight up with a slight wave. I HATE IT!!

My tendonosis still bugs me to this day. I try to bench again and after 2-3 weeks in the gym my pec lights up again on fire from the inflammation. I cant stand it.

I was in the sling for 2 months straight. Never took it off. That sucked. Slept and showered in it. Except the first 10 days too. I had to take a sponge bath.

Take it easy from here on out man. U can very easily rip it again and then ur really fuked. The slightest movement and contraction of the muscle puts a lot of stress on the repair. I read a story on a guy who ripped his pec the 2nd time about a 2-3 weeks after surgery. He took his sling off and hopped in the shower. Well he slipped and tried to catch himself with his bad arm when he fell and that sucker ripped wide open again. The doc said he couldnt fix him.

Take care man. Good luck