Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Will jogging put me in a catabolic state? Need cardio!

I'm on Rippetoes and I'm still at the very early stages. I'm still very slim but I have gained muscle/size. But that aside, I have no stamina since I never do any cardio. I had a collapsed lung years ago and have just never really done any since then which I feel I need to change, just to get things back in order. My girlfriend is keen on us going jogging this weekend. However I am worried about the effects this will have on my muscle gains I've put on the last few weeks. Is jogging at a medium pace for an extended period of time going to put my body into a catabolic state?

I read that walking slowly for a few minutes and then sprinting as hard as a I can for say 30 seconds, and then walking slowly again and repeating that cycle, is a great way to maintain muscle and even build muscle. However that is just not feasible if I'm jogging with my girlfriend.

Thoughts?

Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tehmac View Post
    I read that walking slowly for a few minutes and then sprinting as hard as a I can for say 30 seconds, and then walking slowly again and repeating that cycle, is a great way to maintain muscle and even build muscle.
    where did you read that
    My own videos should go here.

tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10) tehmac is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Panacea. View Post
    where did you read that
    Cannot remember the main source, but it is also discussed briefly here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Panacea. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    oh...i thought you were talking about if you just jugged everyday would you start packing on mass on your arms or something

as for that...it is possible, but your diet would have to be ultra fine-tuned.

Sorry if my question is misleading. I am wanting to continue with my weight training (I do Rippetoes 3 days per week) but I'm also wanting to put in some cardio to get my stamina back to where it was (right now it's non-existent). However I do not want to do cardio if it will destroy any gains I have made or inhibit future gains. I am supposed to be going jogging tomorrow. Will this be a problem? I plan on maybe just jogging once per week. How long should I jog for etc if it will pose a problem?

LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000) LaBamba is just really nice. (+1000)
    you just need to figure how many calories you need to eat, and if you are slim just eat loads untill it doesnt feel right and u gain fat, then just lower calories..

and doing HIIT as you said is said to be more muscle friendly, im not sure tho but i like it more than normal cardio (way more time efficient)
    Hi.

Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Superman187 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The cardio that you are talking about......sprinting then walking...or sprinting then jogging is called interval training and is what I would suggest for someone who is trying to pack on mass while still maintaining an efficient cardiovascular system. If you havent done this type of cardio before start with a 3 to 1 ratio and then maybe work to a 2 to 1 ratio... What I mean by that is Walking or Jogging / Sprinting. For example:

3 minutes of brisk walking followed by 1 minute of sprinting. Then repeat Try 12 to 15 minutes two to three times a week.
    Current Weight 178lbs
    Personal Records
    Olympic Back Squat ( To the floor) 150kg.
    Front Squat 127.5kg ( Dec 2010)
    Clean and Jerk 92.5kg (12/15/2010)
    Rack Jerk 95kg ( Dec 2010)
    Power Clean 100kg ( Dec 2010)
    Snatch 67.5kg (12/15/2010)
    Power Snatch 70kg ( Dec 2010)
    Bench 300lb x 3 ( I don't bench anymore. Doing Olympic lifting now)
    Parallel Squat: 405lb
    Deadlift: 465lb x 1
    Closed Heavy Grip 200# for reps....I need to get the 250

Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Replicator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't go jogging if you can help it. Long, slow, distance exercise is not what you want at present, if ever. Stick with Starting Strength for the time being, after a while maybe implement some metcon such as Crossfit for your health needs.

Originally Posted by Superman187 View Post
    The cardio that you are talking about......sprinting then walking...or sprinting then jogging is called interval training and is what I would suggest for someone who is trying to pack on mass while still maintaining an efficient cardiovascular system. If you havent done this type of cardio before start with a 3 to 1 ratio and then maybe work to a 2 to 1 ratio... What I mean by that is Walking or Jogging / Sprinting. For example:

3 minutes of brisk walking followed by 1 minute of sprinting. Then repeat Try 12 to 15 minutes two to three times a week.
    When you say "sprinting" do you mean FULL OUT running as hard as I can, or would running at a decent pace do?

When you say "sprinting" do you mean FULL OUT running as hard as I can, or would running at a decent pace do?
    Almost time for me to go, anyone?

clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10) clickclickboom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ya. just eat more that day and make sure u eat protein right before and after. you'll be fine, dont be worried as long as you eat more on that day than u usually do to compenstate.

I wouldn't make it a habit and limit cardio 1-2x / week imo.
    Currently pursuing a phD in broscience

apollocreed1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Make sure you eat complex carbohydrates (i.e. carbo that hasnt got alot of sugar) and eat protein and I think you should be fine

I just did my first session of cardio. Like I said I haven't done ANY in years since my collapsed lung so it was going to be interesting. I walked briskly for 3-4 minutes then sprinted full out for 1 minute. I only managed to do this TWICE in a row! I was dying after the first minute never mind the second! I physically could not do any more. I am now overweight, I am a slim ecto so it shows I definitely need improvement here. When I got back home my legs were shaking and my whole system was in shock, lol.

I guess this is normal? It's pretty intense this method.

mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000)
    Its is a generally accepted rule of thumb that if you're doing cardio and still trying to maintain/build muscle, keep it under 20 minutes a day. The HIIT is probably the best thing, but don't start out sprinting for an entire minute. Start out at a light job for four minutes, then sprint at about 80% for 30 seconds, then walk/light jog for a minute or two, then sprint at about 80% again, and try to up how fast you're sprinting every time you alternate back to sprinting.

Originally Posted by mdorty View Post
    Its is a generally accepted rule of thumb that if you're doing cardio and still trying to maintain/build muscle, keep it under 20 minutes a day. The HIIT is probably the best thing, but don't start out sprinting for an entire minute. Start out at a light job for four minutes, then sprint at about 80% for 30 seconds, then walk/light jog for a minute or two, then sprint at about 80% again, and try to up how fast you're sprinting every time you alternate back to sprinting.
    Is there a reason this works better than sprinting full out after the first bit of walking?

mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000) mdorty is just really nice. (+1000)
    Is there a reason this works better than sprinting full out after the first bit of walking?
    I'm just saying that you shouldn't start out sprinting 100% so you don't tire yourself out. Once you get used to doing it, you can sprint all out as much as you want. But you said yourself you couldn't do it the first time. Start off at a little less steam and build yourself up. After the first minute or two of a light jog/walk, go 90%, then 95%, then 100%. You just would want to at least be doing your cardio for 15 minutes. Its not gonna do much if you tire yourself out after seven minutes.

Thanks, that makes sense! If I'm on Rippetoes (or if I was doing any work out program for that matter) is this something that would severely hinder my gains if I was do do this for just 15 minutes per day?

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    How long of time or distance does your womens want you to jog?

Originally Posted by zephed56 View Post
    How long of time or distance does your womens want you to jog?
    Well that is not really an issue now as I have decided to put more time into cardio myself so it is really up to me. I suffer a lot from nightmares for no apparent reason and from what I've gathered getting daily exercise can help reduce this. As such I am wanting to try and tire myself out by doing this type of running just for 15-20 minutes daily. However I'm not sure what impact this will have on my gains.

Thanks, that makes sense! If I'm on Rippetoes (or if I was doing any work out program for that matter) is this something that would severely hinder my gains if I was do do this for just 15 minutes per day?
    If you were looking to build tons of mass, I guess there would be a small chance it could hinder your progress, but being on Rippetoes, I would assume that you're relatively (a year or less) new to lifting, which means you're probably not looking to build up a ton of mass yet, just general strengthening and muscle building. But in my opinion, I would say no, 15-20 minutes of cardio won't hurt your gains. I guess it also depends on how many calories you're taking in a day, but I'm assuming you're taking in at least 2800+, so again, the cardio shouldn't hurt you. In fact, I've been lifting for about six or seven months, and I've done cardio almost the whole time. I went from 205lbs (at 5'8") to my current 170 while also building muscle mass and strength. And I've never done more than a half hour of cardio a day.

Registered User the iron addict's Avatar
    the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    You are 6'1 139, the last thing you need is sprinting. Please note you have not got a single answer from anyone over 170 lbs. Is this who you really want to ask how to pack on muscle fast? If you MUST maintain a decent cardio condition try something LOW IMPACT high/medium high intensity for no more than 20 minutes 2 x a week. That will provide a base level of conditioning while still allowing you to gain. At 139 I would hope your most immediate goal would be some muscle since you are at BB.com, not runners.com.

Iron Addict

willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by the iron addict View Post
    You are 6'1 139, the last thing you need is sprinting. Please note you have not got a single answer from anyone over 170 lbs. Is this who you really want to ask how to pack on muscle fast? If you MUST maintain a decent cardio condition try something LOW IMPACT high/medium high intensity for no more than 20 minutes 2 x a week. That will provide a base level of conditioning while still allowing you to gain. At 139 I would hope your most immediate goal would be some muscle since you are at BB.com, not runners.com.

Iron Addict
    Maybe one of those 170 pound guys used to be 130, and gained 40 pounds. I think that advice from a fellow hard-gainer who gained a bunch of weight could help him. Just throwin that out there. And just because he is on bodybuilding.com doesn't mean that he shouldn't try to maintain good cardiovascular health.

the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by willwigg3477 View Post
    Maybe one of those 170 pound guys used to be 130, and gained 40 pounds. I think that advice from a fellow hard-gainer who gained a bunch of weight could help him. Just throwin that out there. And just because he is on bodybuilding.com doesn't mean that he shouldn't try to maintain good cardiovascular health.
    It is not all that uncommon for a brand newbie to gain 40 lbs in the first year if diet and training are good and a BIT of fat came along for the ride. So.......you are back to taking advice from a guy with a year of training that got newbie gains. If that is the type of advice you want, you won't have any difficulty getting it. How good of advice it likely is......well that's a different story.

Iron Addict

Iron Addict
    That's a good point, I forgot about the fact that you are pretty skinny.

Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    just eat above what you would normally eat....jogging isnt going to burn that many calories...the only problem that MIGHT happen is you wont recover but that shouldnt be an issue since you are just beginning SS
    current/ goals by christmas break
    bench - 155/185
    squat - 205/225
    deadlift - 305/385
    military press - 110/135
    bb row - 140/155
    shoulder press - 50/70

Originally Posted by Shawdowfox View Post
    just eat above what you would normally eat....jogging isnt going to burn that many calories...the only problem that MIGHT happen is you wont recover but that shouldnt be an issue since you are just beginning SS
    How do you know this? How many trainees have YOU worked with that have tried incorporating running and gaining mass at a maximal pace???

This kid would have to gain 30 lbs just to be considered skinny and you think jogging is a good option? Please explain this based on YOUR experience.

Iron Addict
    Last edited by the iron addict; 09-16-2008 at 07:25 PM.

Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50) Shawdowfox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How do you know this? How many trainees have YOU worked with that have tried incorporating running and gaining mass at a maximal pace???

This kid would have to gain 30 lbs just to be considered skinny and you think jogging is a good option? Please explain this based on YOUR experience.

Iron Addict
    the man wants to get in shape also and true he is underweight for his height and whatnot but how many calories does a nice brisk jog burn? 500 at the max? thats about a ham sandwhich with a glass of milk.

just down a protein shake before and have a good post workout meal after if you want and are so worried about losing that 0.01 lbs of mass.
    current/ goals by christmas break
    bench - 155/185
    squat - 205/225
    deadlift - 305/385
    military press - 110/135
    bb row - 140/155
    shoulder press - 50/70

incline walking on a treadmill can be very beneficial
    dont underestimate the simple stuff.

Originally Posted by Shawdowfox View Post
    the man wants to get in shape also and true he is underweight for his height and whatnot but how many calories does a nice brisk jog burn? 500 at the max? thats about a ham sandwhich with a glass of milk.

just down a protein shake before and have a good post workout meal after if you want and are so worried about losing that 0.01 lbs of mass.
    Read my post again. That is NOT what I asked you. Running tends to be catabolic for MANY lifters, and especially extreme ecto's like the OP. It tends to dampen CNS. Something guys like this are usually weak in. Again, how do you know that running and an extreme ecto trying to gain mass is a good combo?

500 calories is often make or break for LOTS of ecto's.
    Last edited by the iron addict; 09-16-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Wow, lots of responses now. Interesting stuff. Really I guess if it's going to be an issue, I can cut out the sprinting and try walking at a fast pace. I need to build up cardiovascular health while not going catabolic, and at the same time making sure that I'm tiring myself out that day from that exercise so I can get a decent nights sleep. If walking quickly for a while will do that then I think that would be the better option for myself as an ecto?