Thread: Water retention

RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Water retention

Hello!

I was just wondering, when you?ve been eating clean for a few months and just enjoying the odd cheat meal once a week or so...what happens when you encounter a time of the year when the diet and exercise goes out of the window? e.g. Christmas, summer holidays, etc...do you retain a shed-load of water or is it likely to go on very quickly as fat stores?

The reason I ask is because I have just competed (last Sunday) and it?s ben 5 days since I have ?relaxed?. I have another competition in 6 weeks, so I took these few days as a mental and physical break from dieting and exercise, then hitting back hard on the diet and exercise for 5 weeks...and I find that I am swollen...I believe it?s a load of water retention, my skin feels like it?s full of liquid and I feel sluggish. Is this normal?

Also, perhaps you could share any tips or ideas on how to ease back into normal eating once you finish a cutting period. It?s my first time that I?ve dieted down and I am a little wierded out by the effects of 5 days on my body LOL

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Rebecca
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength"

cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) cleanfreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have no clue, but in my experience I do usually feel bloated and just like I need to "detox" after a vacation. I just start craving lettuce and water. LOL

I don't know how to fix it in your case, but I wanted to give you a thumbs-up for competing! I hope you did well! You look fantastic!

RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10) RebeccaTD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    LOL .. I can relate to the craving lettuce bit. I had given myself the week off, but I am already eating cleaner as I just feel like my body needs it. I have even been to the gym today and did a whole body workout to get myself moving again. I miss the DOMS!

Thanks for the compliment...I really enjoyed competing and can?t wait till the next one!!

I?d be interested in knowing if anyone else out there has any similar experiences?
    "Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength"

Red face It?s all ok and very normal!! PHEW!!

Reading through some articles on BB.com I have found this one which has helped ease my mind: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan30.htm

It states that 90% of post contest weight gain can be attributed to water retention. I have also asked other figure competitors on BB.com and they have agreed that when you deviate from your regular eating plan that water retention does happen due to the increase in sodium (thanks for the info Kim!).

Usually a return to normal eating and exercise will fix the problem.

So, I guess that this means that I am no longer panicking about the sudden changes in my body in a few short days. I have taken on board the advice of upping my water and this morning I seem to have woken up feeling less bloated.

For those who don?t do contests, I guess the advice is transferrable as most of us on this forum will have periods of eating less clean and of exercising less, so I thought I?d post and share the news!

Rebecca