Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stats: 5'9", 190 lbs
    BodyPoints: 42
    Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit Itadienekes's BodySpace

Shoulder surgery (SLAP tear) - What to do???

So I was diagnosed with a SLAP tear in my left shoulder (tear of the anterior and posterior labrum). The tear has extended into the bicep tendon which hooks into the shoulder. It's pretty bad.

Very reputable Doc (CU Sports Medicine surgeon in Boulder) recommends surgery since PT and rest hasn't done much to shoulder.

Shoulder hurts, especially when I sleep and when I do shoulder workouts or bench press. Otherwise it's not too bad. Definitely annoying, but I've been doing my MMA training with the pain, and I manage. Surgery means 2 weeks of complete rest, 2 months of only very light therapy, and another 2-4 months (total of 6 months) before I will be back at 100%.

Should I do surgery:
    a. as soon as possible (would be October 2nd)?
    b. postpone as long as possible? (could possible be several years before it gets worse?)
    c. postpone juts enough to compete in BJJ/MMA for several events in October?
    d. postpone long enough to enjoy the upcoming ski season (do surgery in Spring 09)?
    e. Other options??

I've scheduled surgery for October 2nd but I'm at a loss. I really don't look forward to being away from BJJ/MMA training for 3-4 months. I'm also sad I'll be missing half of the ski season.

If I do surgery - what would be advisable to do to keep myself in shape? I can probably do the elliptical without stressing the shoulder, anything else (running) would probably be bad. I could do leg workouts (body weight squats, lunges, etc) and ab crunches. Really worried I'll lose everything I've worked up to till now if I do surgery

-b

Cliffs:
    - need sugery on shoulder
    - 4-6month rest after surgery
    - do it now or wait?
    - what to do to keep in shape if I do surgery?
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

[IIFYM Crew], [IF Crew], Fighter.

Stats: 5'10", 175 lbs
    BodyPoints: 11786
    Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mighty Matt has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Mighty Matt's BodySpace
    How did you tear it?
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Mahatma Gandhi.

☆ Mighty Matts that Appreciate pUniCepts Appreciation Crew Appreciation Crew ☆ Founder ☆

Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) Itadienekes is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Good question. The pain started after pulling a trick on skis (http://www.vimeo.com/894829 ) and crashing into a tree.
    Wasn't too bad though. That was in January. Been doing intense BJJ, Muay Thay and weight lifting since then and pain has been there ever since ... I guess the training didn't help.
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

Registered User MusclesMarinara's Avatar
    MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) MusclesMarinara has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    You'll heal faster at 23 than 33, 43, 53, etc...

Also if you keep training your good side it will inhibit atropy in your "bad" side...
    Life is about balance between family, work, friends, lifting, hobbies, etc.

Each one should be independent of one another, yet somehow productively connected.

If one starts to overshadow the others, they all suffer.

I only rep back people who DO NOT put "rep back" in their comments.

Originally Posted by MusclesMarinara View Post
    You'll heal faster at 23 than 33, 43, 53, etc...

Also if you keep training your good side it will inhibit atropy in your "bad" side...
    Seriously? Meaning I should train my right arm normally as if nothing happened? Do right delts, biceps, triceps, and maybe even flies? Would that not lead to much more developed right side? If more people suggest that would be a good idea, I'd definitely keep working out my right side.

Good point about healing faster at 23 thouhg ... hadn't considered this at all yet.

-b
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    I had the same surgery, except it was an anterior labrum tear, so pretty much the same thing. Just get the surgery, you're going to have to eventually. I had my surgery recently (July 14th) and haven't been able to lift, which is killing me. But you're going to have to do it sooner or later. What my surgeon told me is if you're 80 and all you want to do is push a shopping cart then maybe you should just get pt and not bother. But young athletic guys (us) pretty much always have to get the surgery, so might as well get it out of the way

gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gregr507 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    btw there is a big thread on shoulder injuries in the injury recover/prevention forum, it's stickied, i suggest you check it out

Originally Posted by gregr507 View Post
    I had the same surgery, except it was an anterior labrum tear, so pretty much the same thing. Just get the surgery, you're going to have to eventually. I had my surgery recently (July 14th) and haven't been able to lift, which is killing me. But you're going to have to do it sooner or later. What my surgeon told me is if you're 80 and all you want to do is push a shopping cart then maybe you should just get pt and not bother. But young athletic guys (us) pretty much always have to get the surgery, so might as well get it out of the way
    Cool, this is good information, thanks.
    Wondering how you managed immediately after surgery? Can you use your arm at all? Can you drive a car (stickshift)? Can you do basic tasks, or are you just completely handicapped?

thx bro
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
    Cool, this is good information, thanks.
    Wondering how you managed immediately after surgery? Can you use your arm at all? Can you drive a car (stickshift)? Can you do basic tasks, or are you just completely handicapped?

thx bro
    Immediately after the surgery is very painful, you will be counting down the minutes til you can take percoset/vicodin. For the first week or two your arm is completely immobile and it WILL atrophy. What I've tried to do is keep eating and taking protein as best I can and I haven't lost TOO much weight, and I'm hoping it will come back quickly when I can hit the gym again (soon, light weights and machines only though)

So pretty much I would say for the first few weeks you won't be able to drive a stick. It sucks, honestly get used to being in your recliner (can't lie down). Buy some video games or some good movies because you'll need them.

Although, once physical therapy starts (a few weeks after surgery), improvement is pretty rapid. I don't even notice it bothering me now. I can't really lift anything very heavy, but ROM is back for the most part and in daily tasks I don't even notice it any more, unless I do something stupid (like try to pull something heavy)
    Last edited by gregr507; 09-11-2008 at 09:46 PM.

is staying positive! :) Miz-Zou's Avatar
    Stats: 6'3", 233 lbs
    BodyPoints: 9508
    Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Miz-Zou's BodySpace
    wow sounds exactly like my pain, I've got a torn labrum as well but they think it doesn't have anything to do with where my shoulder pain is (under my collarbone midpoint between shoulder and neck).

It kills me when I sleep, and definitely notice it on pressing movements (especially bench)

like if I do a fly type movement my right arm doesn't feel/look like my left one does.
    ★★★AJ Lee Crew★★★ - Officer of Punk Destruction
    ★★★EMMAlution Crew★★★ - Director of Broadcasting Down Under
    ✪ Rampaigers Crew ✪ - Head of Chocolate Application to Pasty Booty

I NEED FEMINISM - PUT WOMEN IN CHARGE FOR A BETTER WORLD

Originally Posted by Miz-Zou View Post
    wow sounds exactly like my pain, I've got a torn labrum as well but they think it doesn't have anything to do with where my shoulder pain is (under my collarbone midpoint between shoulder and neck).

It kills me when I sleep, and definitely notice it on pressing movements (especially bench)

like if I do a fly type movement my right arm doesn't feel/look like my left one does.
    holy crap that's EXACTLY where my pain is located!
    under my collarbone midpoint between shoulder and neck.
    exactly like you described. werd.

good luck with yours.
    thx for the input gregr!
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

holy crap that's EXACTLY where my pain is located!
    under my collarbone midpoint between shoulder and neck.
    exactly like you described. werd.

good luck with yours.
    thx for the input gregr!
    Not a problem man. Honestly it sucks, believe me I know, and it sucks to have to go through. Especially with guys like us who pride ourselves on being active. But it's not gonna go away on it's own, so get the surgery. If you really feel like you need to, delaying a few months won't kill you. But you're only delaying the inevitable. Good luck, if you have any more questions you can PM me or check out the thread in the injury recovery/prevention forum

The Truthiness Teller gotspeed22's Avatar
    Stats: 5'11", 193 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2419
    gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) gotspeed22 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit gotspeed22's BodySpace
    i tore my labrum twice in two different places. had surgery to repair it twice.i could lift and do everything fine i just played baseball and couldn't throw. i had lingering tendonitis in my biceps tendon for about 5 months after the first one and tendonitis for about 7 months and now its off and on after the 2nd one. After surgery you are in a sling can't really move it AT ALL for like 2 days then you can but you can't move your arm away from your body or you'll tear it again...rehab is slow as you can easily **** it up. I rode the bike and just did all the excersises my PTs allowed me to do to keep in shape. However i was so depressed after my 2nd one i didn't keep up with the legs and went from squatting 400+ to about my bodyweight. Key is to do SOMETHING. Your gonna lose but better to lose a little than everything.

Stats: 6'1", 205 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3233
    entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) entropy1 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit entropy1's BodySpace
    do it now, you dont want the joint/bone etc degenerating further

SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) SquatTilYouDrop has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit SquatTilYouDrop's BodySpace
    I've had surgery done on both my right and left shoulder. SLAP tear and an RC tear to the bone. Arthroscopic surgery has come a long way. Do the surgery because the tear will not heal on its own. It will only get worse.

After the surgery you will not be able to move the shoulder for at least 4 weeks. You will be in an arm sling to immobilize the shoulder. You will be given an analgesic pain killer directly into the shoulder for the first 48 hours.

During rehab you'll have to work on strength and range of motion every day to get normal function back. This is done slowly in stages. Don't push it to fast. Allow the normal healing processes to work.

During my time off....I did lower body work and ab work. Mixed in some cardio with it. So good luck with the surgery and hang in there. It's tough but worth it.

Thanks for all the info & good words guys, keep it coming, it's very reassuring to read about others' experiences
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Miz-Zou has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Originally Posted by SquatTilYouDrop View Post
    I've had surgery done on both my right and left shoulder. SLAP tear and an RC tear to the bone. Arthroscopic surgery has come a long way. Do the surgery because the tear will not heal on its own. It will only get worse.

After the surgery you will not be able to move the shoulder for at least 4 weeks. You will be in an arm sling to immobilize the shoulder. You will be given an analgesic pain killer directly into the shoulder for the first 48 hours.

During rehab you'll have to work on strength and range of motion every day to get normal function back. This is done slowly in stages. Don't push it to fast. Allow the normal healing processes to work.

During my time off....I did lower body work and ab work. Mixed in some cardio with it. So good luck with the surgery and hang in there. It's tough but worth it.
    are you back to normal now? Does it feel ok when you're doing pressing movements?

i say this b/c when I'm doing mine (especially noticeable on Hammer chest press machines) my right arm takes a weird path, and I don't get near the pump or anything in my left arm.

Right now I look like that freak from Lady in the Water (one side bigger than the other).

I tore my right acl few years back, and still is smaller than my left (due to me subconsciously favoring it during squats etc), and now this thing for my right shoulder will mess up my right side. I'm going to be a mess, subconsciously favoring my left side on upper AND lower body movements

Stats: 6'4", 225 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2695
    TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) TerpMuscle has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit TerpMuscle's BodySpace
    surgery. shoulder tears dont heal and will never be 100% without surgery. Ive had two shoulders done. i can answer any questions man.
    --Top Secret Nutrition gets TerpMuscle and his gf back on track!--
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162841961

Gluta-Tren Log -
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144285241&p=871267361#post871267361

Stats: 5'5", 214 lbs
    BodyPoints: 20937
    Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Mr. Manlet has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Mr. Manlet's BodySpace
    **** brah...im 3 months post op my self..and still have roughly 3 more till im 100%
    IG = @ Bmur18 - Follow me and message for reps

**BMBC...MANG!**

rep back 10k+

I guess it's good in the long run, but you know us and how we love to workout and stuff. what am I going to do with a job and everything. "Thanks for hiring me, but I won't be able to start for a few months due to shoulder surgery/rehab in my writing arm"

So, wondering if I'll be able to use a computer post-surgery?
    I write software for a living, type a thousand lines a day ... Will I be able to unsling my shoulder and kinda use my desk to support it so I can use my left hand to type?
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

Stats: 6'2", 220 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1611
    Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Von84.'s BodySpace
    i had this surgery a couple years ago. I was playing baseball and dove into the outfield wall and dislocated my shoulder. When the shoulder came out it tore my anterior labrum. I experienced a lot of the symptoms you are currently going through. I eventually had the surgery and it was the best decision ever. I no longer have to worry about my shoulder ****ting on me while i'm doing something active.
    Fair warning though, rehab sucks! To me, the rehab was worse than the initial dislocation. You will be counting down the minutes until you can take your pain reliever medication. But all in all....surgery>no surgery.
    B.B.A. in Accounting and top 5% of my class...time to get paid!

Stats: 6'2", 220 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1611
    Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Von84. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Von84.'s BodySpace
    So, wondering if I'll be able to use a computer post-surgery?
    I write software for a living, type a thousand lines a day ... Will I be able to unsling my shoulder and kinda use my desk to support it so I can use my left hand to type?
    i could take mine out the sling, in fact they advise you to every once in a while, as long as my arm stayed close to my stomach. Any oblong movements are going to be out of the question for several weeks.
    B.B.A. in Accounting and top 5% of my class...time to get paid!

Stats: 5'11", 230 lbs
    BodyPoints: 6991
    homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) homerandabe69 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit homerandabe69's BodySpace
    the longer you wait to do the surgery the more damage will get done to it. i dislocated my shoulder 5 or 6 times before i had it fixed and 2 years later it still pops out of the socket at odd times. you should get it fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again EVERYBODY for all the positive input.
    I've decided doing surgery now is the right way to go.
    Surgery scheduled for October 2nd.

Very anxious to be 6 months in the future and being over this and training at 100% again.
    -b
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

Stats: 5'11", 187 lbs
    frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) frownyunicorn is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit frownyunicorn's BodySpace
    how did you do it???

And good luck, i hope all goes well.. Maybe its a crap ray of hope but i had a torn quad then ACL problems and thought it was game over for my right leg, but everything worked out.. Times a healer

Originally Posted by frownyunicorn View Post
    how did you do it???
    ^^^
    VVV

Originally Posted by Bernardo
    Good question. The pain started after pulling a trick on skis (http://www.vimeo.com/894829 ) and crashing into a tree.
    Wasn't too bad though. That was in January. Been doing intense BJJ, Muay Thay and weight lifting since then and pain has been there ever since ... I guess the training didn't help.
    Thanks for the support!
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

So just to let everybody know what's going on.
    I'm having surgery October 2nd, next Thursday.
    I decided it's definitely the best way to go, get it over with, recovery for 4-6 months, and get back in the game ONE HUNDRED PERCENT.

Kinda stoked now.
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

Aaaand another update:

Had surgery this past Thursday.
    Doc said it was worse than it looked like in the MRI, they actually had to reattach the bicep tendon to the shoulder bone. But everything went well, they did a good job, and I've not had one bit of pain post-op. Was prescribed a metric ton of oxycodone and vicodin but have only used a few pills to help me fall asleep, otherwise no pain - pretty happy about having done surgery.

Had my first PT session today, arm & shoulder feel weird when moving but still no pain.

Stoked to recover fast and get back in the game.
    -b
    - Amateur Muay Thai 4-1
    - Amateur MMA 1-1

Stats: 6'0", 185 lbs
    irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) irondork has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit irondork's BodySpace
    [QUOTE=Itadienekes;229106791]Aaaand another update:

Had surgery this past Thursday.
    Doc said it was worse than it looked like in the MRI, they actually had to reattach the bicep tendon to the shoulder bone. But everything went well, they did a good job, and I've not had one bit of pain post-op. Was prescribed a metric ton of oxycodone and vicodin but have only used a few pills to help me fall asleep, otherwise no pain - pretty happy about having done surgery.

I've been mulling around this forum for the last cpl weeks getting ready for my own sugery. Just had my bicep tendon reattatched (5-6-10). Thanks for all the input guys.

I had pretty loud pain the day after surgery, a little less day two and none by day three. Still a little achy doing regular tasks (getting dressed, etc...) but idle - no pain. I'm really bummed not being able to do anything but situps and the bicycle. Six months seems forever away.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast