jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000)

calisthenics vs. weights

this may be a dumb question but i am still a noob. do you guys find that weight training is better than calisthenics? i was talking to this marine dude yesterday and he asked if i excercise. i told him i started weight lifting and he was like oh really. it seemed that he had a low oppinion of wieghts. he apparantly excercises everyday doing running, pushups, pullups and crunches. he did have a massive chest, seemed strong and real lean. this made me wonder because most guys tell me that weight lifting everyday leads to overtraining, is this not true of calisthenics? most people i see in the gym may have bigger arms but are not as cut and do not seem as strong as this guy. and few of them have bigger chest than he does. the one exception i know is my friend who does total body weight lifting almost everyother day, and he is huge and ripped, like a cartoon character. any oppinions on this?

i think i will continue to do weights three times a week and add two days of calisthenics/running.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by anthony.tavarez View Post
    this may be a dumb question but i am still a noob. do you guys find that weight training is better than calisthenics? i was talking to this marine dude yesterday and he asked if i excercise. i told him i started weight lifting and he was like oh really. it seemed that he had a low oppinion of wieghts. he apparantly excercises everyday doing running, pushups, pullups and crunches. he did have a massive chest, seemed strong and real lean. this made me wonder because most guys tell me that weight lifting everyday leads to overtraining, is this not true of calisthenics? most people i see in the gym may have bigger arms but are not as cut and do not seem as strong as this guy. and few of them have bigger chest than he does. the one exception i know is my friend who does total body weight lifting almost everyother day, and he is huge and ripped, like a cartoon character. any oppinions on this?

i think i will continue to do weights three times a week and add two days of calisthenics/running.
    If he doesn't lift weights...how do you know how strong he is?
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000) jonnymontag is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    If he doesn't lift weights...how do you know how strong he is?

i don't know thats why i said he "seemed strong", i guess from the big forearms, thich chest, and wide shoulders. seems to me like hes a strong guy. he looked like an action figure in a weird way. i guess it really comes down to how you measure strength.

LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i don't know thats why i said he "seemed strong", i guess from the big forearms, thich chest, and wide shoulders. seems to me like hes a strong guy. he looked like an action figure in a weird way. i guess it really comes down to how you measure strength.
    I doubt that he's "stronger". He probably just has lower bf% and more muscle stiation than the "Hyooge" guy. It really depends on your goals...

Originally Posted by LiveForDaPamp View Post
    I doubt that he's "stronger". He probably just has lower bf% and more muscle stiation than the "Hyooge" guy. It really depends on your goals...
    i suppose this is true. but he definitely seemed to have a bigger chest than most "huge" guys i see. and its not like the chest is usually covered by fat so its easy to notice. i will mix it up and try to balance my endurance with strenght.

on a side note i work out at the columbia university fitness center, and they do have alot of team sport guys that work out with weights alot. the huge footballers can bench high most cant do more than 7 pull ups.

darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) darfnate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i did 50-100 push ups and 30-50 chin ups every day this summer and i was getting pretty strong a big but all it got me was tendonitis in my tricep so now i can't lift for another 2 weeks still (ive already been sitting out for 5 weeks and it still doesn't feel right)

LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LiveForDaPamp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i suppose this is true. but he definitely seemed to have a bigger chest than most "huge" guys i see. and its not like the chest is usually covered by fat so its easy to notice. i will mix it up and try to balance my endurance with strenght.

on a side note i work out at the columbia university fitness center, and they do have alot of team sport guys that work out with weights alot. the huge footballers can bench high most cant do more than 7 pull ups.
    Oh dont get me wrong, I'm a fan of calithenics. I do 3 days lifting, 3 days HIIT core/calethenics because I do alot of rock climbing.

GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Marines do a ton of pull-ups, thus making them wide. Most people that lift cannot do 20-30 or more push-ups and even more people cant even do 1 full ROM pull-ups. Apples and oranges my friend they have more endurance/slow twitch and gym rats work more on the hypertrophy of the fast twitch fibers.
    Some people live to eat. Some people eat to live. I eat to GROW.

nmanmpl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you know he's strong because he's a Marine. Trained to be combat ready at all times for life. Marines also have the mental advantage over most people. When you truly believe anything is possible, you will have the advantage over anyone, friend or enemy.
    Death before Dishonour

thanks for responses. i am wondering what caused the tricep tendonitis? any more info?

240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nmanmpl View Post
    you know he's strong because he's a Marine. Trained to be combat ready at all times for life. Marines also have the mental advantage over most people. When you truly believe anything is possible, you will have the advantage over anyone, friend or enemy.
    wow...just...wow.

oh, you also spelled dishonor wrong.
    Drew's Deployed BSN Stack-tacular (NOW WITH EVEN MORE GST!!):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122393951

sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50) sylkkdaskr will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    actually he's right in a way. before i became a marine some things i thought were impossible seemed trivial at most. you figure you can do anything with enough dedication and nuts

brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000) brad71983 is just really nice. (+1000)

i bet he uses the perfect pushup. I hear it gives you ripped arms, a ripped chest and ripped abs.
    see ya at 225

Originally Posted by brad71983 View Post
    i bet he uses the perfect pushup. I hear it gives you ripped arms, a ripped chest and ripped abs.
    lol.

nmanmpl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know 60 and 70 year old Marines that push themselves harder than most "bodybuilders" and even though they may be overshadowed by the huge muscles, I'd put my money on that old man's strength, mental and physical. When you learn that perceived limitations are just that, perceived, your body can be pushed so much further...and there are multiple spellings for many words in the english language.
    Death before Dishonour

timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) timberwolf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It really comes down to the physique goal you're after.
    And even then, there's no reason why you can't mix both. Choosing just one method over the other simply limits you.
    timbahwolffff on Instagram

CONTROLLED LABS - Winning the WAR against GENETICS
    kane@controlledlabs.com
    Sponsored Controlled Labs Athlete
    www.controlledlabs.com
    www.controlledlabsforum.com

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice.

A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250) A & B has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It comes down to two things:

1) What kind of physique you want
    2) What kind of strength / fitness level you want

Weights and calisthenics each will train you differently and give you different kinds of strength and fitness, as well as physiques.

Personally I do both. Weights, plus some calisthenics and pilates/yoga.

I find this allows me to continue gaining cosmetic muscle, while giving me lots of flexibility, endurance and functional strength.

For example the kind of fitness you need to be a Marine you probably can't get in the gym alone.
    Every journey begins with a single step.

i will be honest i think his physique looked better than most weight lifters i see. i imagine its because he always does cardio too and does more calisthenics as opposed to doing cutting or bulking cycles.

i think i will work on just putting on more lean muscle. not really concerned about physique, i am still just trying to build a strong base and will take it from there.

p.s.- why was this moved into teen from excercises? this is about different styles of exercise, and im 26 and not a teen

240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50) 240kat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nmanmpl View Post
    I know 60 and 70 year old Marines that push themselves harder than most "bodybuilders" and even though they may be overshadowed by the huge muscles, I'd put my money on that old man's strength, mental and physical. When you learn that perceived limitations are just that, perceived, your body can be pushed so much further...and there are multiple spellings for many words in the english language.
    no scuba bubble no care.
    Drew's Deployed BSN Stack-tacular (NOW WITH EVEN MORE GST!!):

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122393951

danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50) danmanxx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    a ton of clueless idiots in this thread. Yes, 3 year bump ftw.
    --BuLKinG--

Current stack:
    Source Natural's Life Force
    NOW Ultra Omega-3
    Controlled Lab's Green Magnitude (Electric Lemonade)
    Controlled Lab's White Flood (Electric Lemonade)

gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gymnast739 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    calisthenics will help you on strength. It will help your muscle endurance more than weight lifting and will also allow you to be able to control your own body weight. Use weight lifting for mass and muscle increase, and calisthenics for body control, strength and endurance. At the end of each chest workout always do 3 sets of push ups till failure. For your back, alot of pullups. Also do them slow and steady not fast. after each weightlifting session i always finish it off with calisthenics.
    Last edited by gymnast739; 05-14-2011 at 07:17 PM.

BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BitterBlossom is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by danmanxx View Post
    a ton of clueless idiots in this thread. Yes, 3 year bump ftw.
    What is the purpose of you bumping this thread?
    ~ ♥♥ angelus mortis, et medicus damnatorum ♥♥ ~

pignus aeternae gloriae et honoris