Darden123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Why can't I build a chest?!

Hi all,

I'm a relative newbie into the world of body building, so please cut me some slack if I ask any dumb questions

For as long as I can remember, I have not had any sort of chest whatsoever. I've always had decent sized biceps/triceps, but no chest. Heck, I don't even know how to flex my chest.

Which leads to my problem: How do I build my chest? I've been trying to do exercises, but nothing's working. When I do the bench press, I can barely lift 130, and I feel as if my arms are doing all of the work, not my chest. My friends say I'm supposed to be using my chest to lift it, but I just don't know how.

besides bench press, i'm doing just doing dumbbell press and flys for chest at the moment. but i dont feel like i'm getting any benefit out of the bench press, since it feels like my arms are compensating for my inability to lift with my chest.

I think I'm eating ok, I drink a protein shake every day (muscle milk), so what gives? My chest is the only part of me that really bugs me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Darden123 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a relative newbie into the world of body building, so please cut me some slack if I ask any dumb questions

For as long as I can remember, I have not had any sort of chest whatsoever. I've always had decent sized biceps/triceps, but no chest. Heck, I don't even know how to flex my chest.

Which leads to my problem: How do I build my chest? I've been trying to do exercises, but nothing's working. When I do the bench press, I can barely lift 130, and I feel as if my arms are doing all of the work, not my chest. My friends say I'm supposed to be using my chest to lift it, but I just don't know how.

besides bench press, i'm doing just doing dumbbell press and flys for chest at the moment. but i dont feel like i'm getting any benefit out of the bench press, since it feels like my arms are compensating for my inability to lift with my chest.

I think I'm eating ok, I drink a protein shake every day (muscle milk), so what gives? My chest is the only part of me that really bugs me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

is your chest sore afterwards?

To be fair the regular bench press and barbell incline work the shoulders and triceps equally as it does the chest. You need to really focus lifting with your chest and squeezing it at the top. Go nice and slow until you feel your chest working. You could try one of the weider methods and pre-exhaust the muscles with flyes first.

If you have a training parter or spotter you could do the original neck press with elbows flared out, pressing down to the neck with legs up in the air and legs crossed. Do the exercise wrong with your shoulders or arms and simple..you'll die.

Also gironda dips and cable cross overs done correctly will isolate your chest and take the triceps and shoulders out of the movement.

PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10) PUMP2356 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the weight is also probably too heavy

Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Schnitter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    here's how you build a chest

end product:

(gold coins sold separatedly)

If that is too advanced, try starting with:

Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Frau_Deen has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    LULz if you cant build A CHEST its becos you have no tools? Did I guess right?
    I'm fraudin? NO, I am Frau Deen!

Registered User the iron addict's Avatar
    the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000) the iron addict is just really nice. (+1000)
    First you need to worry about getting strong before worrying about what your chest looks like. This means focus on the big lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench presses or dips, chins or rows of both, military presses, and a bit of arm work. You don't need anything fancy, but you do need a good diet and continually increasing poundage's on the bar.

Iron Addict

being skinny fat sucks Want2BeStrong's Avatar
    Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I actually originally built my chest doing pushups. I didn't have a gym membership at the time (or know anything about lifting). I did them every morning upon waking up, and every night before going to bed.

Once I started feeling sore in my chest, it became pretty easy to learn how to flex it.
    March 2007: 190 lb, ~25% bf
    June 2007: 170lb, ~20% bf
    Jan 2008: 180 lb, 18% bf
    Mar 2008: 190 lb, 18% bf
    July 2008: 185 lb, 15% bf
    2009 - 2022: Stopped training due to life circumstances - slowly got fat
    November 2022: 220lb, 30% bf
    January 2023: 200lb, 25% bf

Goal(Long Term): 180lb, 10%bf

Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Drew8889 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Make sure you are using good form also. Keep your elbows out brah!
    I always rep back
    owes me
    for USC vs OSU
    7. Need2LoseFat
    8. IRockNikes
    for Cleveland game
    1.l3ul2n
    for Colorado vs WVU
    1. Tyler44
    2. tstrauss
    5. Mxer_129

Registered User PILGOR-THE-GOAT's Avatar
    PILGOR-THE-GOAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PILGOR-THE-GOAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PILGOR-THE-GOAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PILGOR-THE-GOAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PILGOR-THE-GOAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PILGOR-THE-GOAT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i had the same problem so i started widening my grip a bit

willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willwigg3477 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PILGOR-THE-GOAT View Post
    i had the same problem so i started widening my grip a bit
    x2 I have to use a wide grip or i feel it more in my arms..it helps if you work on your mind-muscle connection