keysers0ze has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much weight should I lift?

I'm new to weight lifting and I was wondering how do I know how much I should lift?

Do I lift weights that are limit me to a certain number of reps before failure? For example on the chest press machine I can do the first set of 12 reps but in my second set I struggle to do the 12 and have to lower my weights a little. Should I set my weights to something where I can do 12 reps successfully for each set?

Thanks!

mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc335e is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It depends what kind of goals you have...

More weight, less reps = Size/Strength
    Less weight, more reps = Your'e going to get lean(er)
    I'm that guy who gets too in to his music at the gym and starts singing and playing the leg drums without even realizing wtf I'm doing.

jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10) jpot is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Train to failure

You should train to failure every set thats what builds muscle also mix the reps up you dont need to do 12 every time anywhere from 6-15 is considered acceptable

being skinny fat sucks Want2BeStrong's Avatar
    Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Want2BeStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lots of people will tell you different things about how much weight, reps, and sets you should do.

I always try to do as much weight as possible, allowing for at least 3 sets of 5 reps. I try and increase the weight every week, especially on major lifts (squat, bench, dips, chins, etc). But if I can't get 5 reps on my last set, I will drop the weight back down next time.

If you are new, I would suggest starting really light so you can focus more on form/technique and start programming your CNS and muscle memory. Then slowly increase the weight each week until you are unable to complete your sets/reps.
    March 2007: 190 lb, ~25% bf
    June 2007: 170lb, ~20% bf
    Jan 2008: 180 lb, 18% bf
    Mar 2008: 190 lb, 18% bf
    July 2008: 185 lb, 15% bf
    2009 - 2022: Stopped training due to life circumstances - slowly got fat
    November 2022: 220lb, 30% bf
    January 2023: 200lb, 25% bf

Goal(Long Term): 180lb, 10%bf

mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10) mpi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It really depends on how comfortable you are with weights in all truth. If you are new but really want to stick with weightlifting for the long term, I'd recommend starting the rippetoe novice barbell training workout program found here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

It is based on low reps and lifting heavy to near failure every week. If you are sacrificing form for more weight, you're doing it wrong and if you're not dead tired, you're not doing enough weight. Great program that should last for quite a while, at least until you plateau on a few exercises. BTW, like the guide says, for building muscle and losing weight, nothing beats training the big muscles (back, legs, chest, shoulders) and using free weights, not that machine crap.