omnomnomnom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Are dumbbell bench presses harder to do per lb than barbell ones?

I'm thinking of getting the powerblock dumbbells that go up to 45 or 50... Is that like a 100lb bench press or is it harder? I'm pretty weak and am looking if I should get dumbbells instead of bench + bar that I can do a complete upper body work out with for sometime without maxing out too quickly.

Registered User thelastpolarbear's Avatar
    thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000) thelastpolarbear is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Only at first because of individual arm stabilisation.

Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50) Neo_Anthony will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    50's will eventually become too light. Go with the barbell and extra plates if you have to choose between the two.
    "Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live."

*MidCal*

NANBF Muscle Mayhem California natural bodybuilding championships July 17th, 2010.

My quest to dominate the Novice in my debut show =)
    contest prep log- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122669781

clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by omnomnomnom View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the powerblock dumbbells that go up to 45 or 50... Is that like a 100lb bench press or is it harder? I'm pretty weak and am looking if I should get dumbbells instead of bench + bar that I can do a complete upper body work out with for sometime without maxing out too quickly.
    The only issue i have with dumbell bench press or any db press for that matter is when lifting heavy or near your limit is getting them into position to actually start the lift, if nobody is there to assist you then it gets a bit tricky and no matter what trick you use, when youre using heavy weight it can go easily wrong. Barbell is far easier to manouver but you still need a bench for barbell or dumbell.

bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    they are super hard at first but after a while you get used to it. i can always do more on a bar bell though. right now i do 205 pounds on bar bell and 2 85# dumbbells (170 pounds).

bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bmk6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by clusternakker View Post
    The only issue i have with dumbell bench press or any db press for that matter is when lifting heavy or near your limit is getting them into position to actually start the lift, if nobody is there to assist you then it gets a bit tricky and no matter what trick you use, when youre using heavy weight it can go easily wrong. Barbell is far easier to manouver but you still need a bench for barbell or dumbell.
    i set them on my legs sitting up and kind of tip my whole body back and pick them up while im landing, kind of hard to explain but works good. its funny that the hardest part of the whole lift is getting them into place to start, on a positive note its much safer to do dumbbells without a spotter.

entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000) entropy1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    generally it's about 80ish% of your BB bench, so if you can bench 200lbs, you can DB press about 80lbs per hand

jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50) jawadams will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah they are harder because they use more stabilizing muscles and also they allow a greater range of motion, and if you use that greater range of motion that will make it harder as well.

Personally I think 50 lbs dumbbells is about equal to 140 lbs barbell for bench press anyway.
    -You have to do what others won't to achieve what others don't.

-There are no reps; only failure

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Depends on what you've prioritized. For some, their DB press is much higher than BB, in comparison.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100) clusternakker is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by bmk6 View Post
    i set them on my legs sitting up and kind of tip my whole body back and pick them up while im landing, kind of hard to explain but works good. its funny that the hardest part of the whole lift is getting them into place to start, on a positive note its much safer to do dumbbells without a spotter.
    I think thats how everyone would get them into place, with incline you have to almost throw them up with your knee, of course its ok if youre in a gym as you can ask someone to put them in your hands whilst youre in position, just at home you dont normally have that opportunity.

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes they are most definitely harder...but its only because your individual arms will need to stabilize the weights. They are definitely more advanced as stabilization takes more of a role, whereas a bar is just grab and go. Dumbbells enable you to get a deeper stretch and therefore tap into more muscle fibers, hence more potential for growth, but a mixture of both is needed to ensure greatest stress. Maybe week on week off between bar and dumbbells.

dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dindysport has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    50's will get light quick...they are a bit more difficult but over time they'll be close in weight depending how much you work with each...good luck though either way...

VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VTBuilderVT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I first started lifting, my experienced workout buddy told me that dumbbell press is harder than bench press. Even though my chest looked big naturally, I was very weak. I could barely lift 65lbs (lol), and I was so embarrassed that I stuck to dumbbell press because it just seemed like you could get away with that easier because people would think dumbbell press is harder. I started with 20s onto 30s and that's basically what I built up with. And I still prefer dumbbell vs barbell.

To me now, barbell is easier than dumbbell. Seems like I can always lift an extra 15 to 20lbs per arm on barbell vs. dumbbell.

Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Cyoungin101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I do my heavy sets using DB's because there is a greater range of motion and it targets all of your chest as long as your arms go at least 90 degrees(parallel with the floor). After incline, flat, and decline DB I go to BB and do a few sets with lighter than usual weights.

Incline, Flat & Decline DB Press: 3 sets each
    80lbs x 10, 90lbs x 10, 100lbs x 8-10

Incline, Flat & Decline BB Press: 2 sets each
    185lbs x 10, 205lbs x Failure(between 6-12)

I finish with a few sets of of cables at each angle.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSk89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Regarding 50lb dumbbells
    These might not last as long as you want for presses.

I managed to increase from (in each arm)
    12.5kg (about 25lb) when starting out [flat / decline / incline]
    to
    27.5kg (about 60 lb) at the moment [flat / decline]
    25 kg (about 50 lb) at the moment [incline]

This was in about 5 weeks of increasing weight.

I am not that strong, but it seemed that the main part of these increases was just getting used to lifting the weight in this manner.

Basically
    I would advise getting a larger range of weights, and strive to lift heavier.