Clau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Semi-Pro Soccer Player Work Out

Hello, I'm an athletic body type, around 5-9 130-135lbs or so and 17 years old, just developing a "manly structure".. farily light, and under 10% fat. When I was fourteen I was obsessed with weights, and lifted contstantly, my arms were bigger then they are currently.

My problem is I need to bulk up for next season, I play in a physical mens league where my body currently doesn't cut it.
    I want to not get a "soccer body" I want my arms to be around 16-18 inches,currently around 12/13 probably.. and to get bigger shoulders and chest. Firstly I will need to gain weight on these area's because there is the muscle there, but not the weight.
    My arms when flexed are approx 1.5X larger when flexed, to non flexed meaning I am WAYY TOO SKINNY!

So, can anyone give me some idea's on how to gain, how much to gain and when I work out, what to focus on.

I currently have the 6 pack and defined arms, but not thick and large.. My body is light, but not skinny as you would imagine for my weight.. My legs are very much toned, I can't say the same for my upperbody at the moment.

Help please?

Also-

I started a week ago, by getting back into light workouts with puremass 2600 to get my eating habbits up, I want food much more, a good start.. but not quick enough.
    Last edited by Clau; 09-01-2008 at 09:56 PM.

No thoughts?

Stronger Than Death BlackLabelMafia's Avatar
    BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackLabelMafia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't know where you're writing from, but it's pretty early in the morning. Probably why you're not getting any replies.
    "Fatigue makes cowards of us all."
    -Lombardi 3:24

Originally Posted by BlackLabelMafia View Post
    I don't know where you're writing from, but it's pretty early in the morning. Probably why you're not getting any replies.

Toronto

oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    what position do you play? if you're in middle of the pitch, any time of bulk will give you a decent edge on riding challenges.

Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Attaus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I would rather be quick and light than big in soccer. I can understand if you want to become stronger, but consider this..

Let's say you go from 135-155 by the time soccer starts. Now imagine carrying around a 20lb weight the entire game. Don't you think that would hinder you a little?

Originally Posted by Attaus View Post
    I would rather be quick and light than big in soccer. I can understand if you want to become stronger, but consider this..

Let's say you go from 135-155 by the time soccer starts. Now imagine carrying around a 20lb weight the entire game. Don't you think that would hinder you a little?

well, I am a attacking player, so in order to pass defenders I need to out muscle them and fend them off with riding challenges..

Right now, I can run over 4 hours at a fine pace.. fitness is not my problem, nor is pace.. it's the physical aspect. I understand what you are saying, I just would like to have the ability to stand my own ground against a defender who is 220lbs in a side to side foot race with a forearm across my chin.. the extra weight on my upper body would help with this.

A balance? yes.. I'd asume it would be in the 140/145 range. Just want to know how to get there.

Thanks for the replys.

juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I played semi professional and I would advise against puting on mass. Your from T.O?? I played for Club Roma in the CSL. Who do you play for??

As for your routine I would squat like crazy in the off season and get your legs as strong as possible. Do stiff legged deadlifts for your hams and throw in single leg movements like lunges and single leg romanian deadlifts. Work your core hard too, but try not to put on mass, I'm telling you it won't help at all. I've done that before and it really hurt me. Some of my best seasons I stayed away from weights all together and just ran hills like crazy and stretched all the time. I am not recommending that though because I do think that weight training has its place.

oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10) oceana is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you definitley need strength in soccer. if u wanna go proffesional, unless u have crazy strength on the ball due to skill/balance/footwork (think messi, aguero), you'll wanna toughen up.

its rly not hard to see how a lot of strength can make a BIG difference (see cristiano ronaldo pre-bulk [tricky yet often wasteful winger] and post-bulk [one of the best players in the world]).

good luck mate. if you're already lean and ready to go, i'd go for an allround workout but concentrate on working ur legs.

Thanks guys, I play in OSL right now, I want to play CSL next season where I will be 18 and eligable for contract.

Yeah, thats my problem exactly, the C.Ronaldo thing. I can put the ball by anyone but getting closed off happens too often when I do tricks because of my upperbody power.

Legs are important, yeah.. but really my legs are well off, if anything tone my thighs slightly, and I'm good to go there.. it's the chest and surrounding.

So you guys just suggest working out, and not gaining weight?

juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) juve07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Last season at Roma we had a trainer and he stressed full body workouts in the 5-6 rep range on all exercises. So you could do something like:

Squats 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Pullups 3xfail
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts 3x5

This will give you strength in both your upper and lower body and if you watch your calorie intake you shouldn't gain too much size. Be careful to keep your quads and hams balanced because I suffered micro tears in the past from an imbalance.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Read the sticky for beginner programs, I would suggest something with barbells and basic compound lifts. In particular I am a big fan of Starting Strength/Rippetoe and have made great strength gains on this program. Anything that's pretty similar to that should do you a ton of good.

A strong (low) back and posterior chain (PC) are more important than stronger and bigger arms for soccer imo, and a basic program will cover everything. Just get on a beginner program and get a base of strength, pretty much all novice's needs are the same regardless of their goals, because they are completely untrained w.r.t. weightlifting and need to just get stronger first before playing with variety and other tricks. Getting a stronger PC could also protect you from injury by strengthening the muscles around the knee. ACL injuries are pretty common in soccer.

You don't need to add 20 lbs overnight but I think a heavier weight would help you in a more physical game. And at first you will gain a lot of strength without a corresponding muscle mass gain, it's mostly neuromuscular improvement.

darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darknessWithin has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    True you should do the same program im doing (:
    low reps ....

Thanks for the replys, I will do those things and do more when comfortable, and at a good stage improvment. thanks.

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Clau View Post
    Legs are important, yeah.. but really my legs are well off, if anything tone my thighs slightly, and I'm good to go there.. it's the chest and surrounding.

So you guys just suggest working out, and not gaining weight?
    haha, no. You're legs are well conditioned for soccer but I doubt you'd be able to squat anything decent, it's an entirely different metabolic quality that you haven't been training. The good news is that it will be very easy to increase your strength for quite a while, enjoy it while it lasts.

And at first you will see a lot of strength improvement without as much muscle gain due to neuromuscular improvement, but eventually you will need to add more muscle mass to see strength increases.