bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Eating Late At Night after Workout That Bad?

Alright, well my stats aren't true anymore on my body space thing, im back up to like 290lbs. I have my diet all in order i workout 3 times a week (followed by 15min HIIT) and do a light abb workout with a 20min HIIT on off days. I eat about 2100 Cals a day high protein, mid carb, low fat.

My only problem is that im wondering if i should or shouldn't eat after my workout, for me the thing im looking for is weight loss and weight loss only strength gains are just a bonus (im decently strong 205lbs working set Fbench <-- just as a common reference). I workout REALLY late, 10 or 10:30pm to 12:30 1isham so im just wondering if its hurting me to not eat after workouts.

Im am a rookie, i don't pretend to know what i'm talking about any tips/pointers are welcomed thanks.

Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Pa2ad0x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In my honest opinion, you should ALWAYS eat post-workout...same goes for pre-workout. Get something in your body, a protein shake atleast.
    "I am always doing things I can't do, that's how I get to do them."

-Picasso

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes you should have a recovery meal after if your workout is that long.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) The_WickedyMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    That's the issue with working out so late, during the day is usually the best time to workout, that way you get all those carbs early in the day and go lighter on them later in the night.

But yes, you always need to eat after a workout no matter what.

TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000) TheRealCartman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eat after your workout no matter what time it is, I'd keep it smaller with a good source of protein and some complex carbs, skip the idea of simple carbs.

Question - could you change your schedule so instead of working out at 10 you're getting to bed, wake up 2 hours earlier and then train first things in the morning - take a protein shake when you wake up and then proper meals the rest of the day.

RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10) RobOH is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you stick to the overall calorie deficit for the day!!! Your body still burns calories when you sleep.

tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomahn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by The_WickedyMan View Post
    That's the issue with working out so late, during the day is usually the best time to workout, that way you get all those carbs early in the day and go lighter on them later in the night.
    I think you're misunderstanding something. I know some people want to talk about cortisol/testoterone level changes during the day, but there is no "best time to workout". The reason why most people suggest you stay away from carbs during the night is because most people come home and sit on their asses until they're ready to go to bed. Morning or night, carbs should be ingested when you are most active. That way your body can use the carbs either to fuel your body or restore muscle glycogen.

To the OP, yes you should eat right after your workout. As long as you are eating the meal for function and not because you're having late night hunger pangs, you'll be alright.

in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) in10city has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tomahn View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding something. I know some people want to talk about cortisol/testoterone level changes during the day, but there is no "best time to workout". The reason why most people suggest you stay away from carbs during the night is because most people come home and sit on their asses until they're ready to go to bed. Morning or night, carbs should be ingested when you are most active. That way your body can use the carbs either to fuel your body or restore muscle glycogen.

To the OP, yes you should eat right after your workout. As long as you are eating the meal for function and not because you're having late night hunger pangs, you'll be alright.
    Yeah... the only drawback is if it interferes with sleep due to being "reved up" and cortisol influencing melatonin secretion.

A good pre-sleep routine and PWO nutrition is optimal then.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TinaBee has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I work out late at night too. It is just more convenient for me and i am more likely to make myself work out at night then I am to get up early to work out. I always eat after working out. I find I can't sleep good if I don't, and getting a good night sleep is extremely important when you are working out and loosing weight. But anyway I will usually have something like 1 serving of CC w/ salsa on it or a protein shake or a couple wasa crackers w/ a little peanut butter on them.

And honestly just being consistant about it and staying with in my calorie limits for the day has been much more important then what time of day I eat or work out.

Sometimes people get too caught up in the he said/she said on here and get too frustrated about it and think they are doing everything wrong. I say just do it and if it works for you keep doing and if it doesn't try something else.

Zeus's OTHER Son... CapnPowerMonger's Avatar
    CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10) CapnPowerMonger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tomahn View Post

Couldnt have said it better myself. I work out late and hit the carbs hard post workout just like i would if it was earlier in the day. my second meal post workout is usually pre bed a couple hours later and its fat and protein, no carbs. Works for me.
    "Nil Desperandum"

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity." - Seneca

XBodureX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I had the exact same issue as you dude. I was not sure to eat after my late work out. If i did'nt eat, i was told that was bad. But if i did eat i could'nt get my ass to sleep for hours. And when i did finally get to sleep the sleep i did get was garbage. I felt like i was stuck in a corner. Till for some unknown reason I asked my dad his opinion. Then he started preaching to me about the Bible. Just as i began to dose off in a day dream while my dad was preaching he said "eat food that is still in the same condition god intended it to be in. Dumb ass!" So i though he may be onto something. So from then on out all i ate was raw broc, clelery, cucumber, stuff like that. No dressing or cooking. Just wash and eat. It was a lil hard to swallow the first few days but my sleep is now better than it was even before training and my body still gets the power to heal while i am sleeping.

bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bruce19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for all the responses guys, seems pretty unanymous EAT POST WORKOUT ahah, thanks all.

GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GetBig87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    nope. Intense workouts rev up your metabolism so you should be good
    Some people live to eat. Some people eat to live. I eat to GROW.