BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Prefatiguing shoulders for tricep dips?

Since I use dips as a tricep exercise would prefatiguing your shoulders work better to isolate your triceps?

It only makes sense because the shoulders/upper back are the bigger muscle and would give out sooner than triceps while doing dips.

Am I rite?
    Last edited by BurgerPimp07; 09-01-2008 at 04:30 AM.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BurgerPimp07 View Post
    Since I use dips as a tricep exercise would prefatiguing your shoulders work better to isolate your triceps?

It only makes sense because the shoulders/upper back are the bigger muscle and would give out sooner than triceps while doing dips.

Am I rite?
    Well, normally your triceps would fatigue first.

Second, if your shoulders were comparably weak and fatigued first, pre-exhausting them would serve no purpose.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000) the-craig is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need to pre-exhaust your triceps first. I dont think you need to be doing that anyway. If anything you should be putting most of your effort into this exercise. It's like squats for triceps, big main exercise want alot of energy for.

dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dom996 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If your shoulders give first it means that they are the weakest element in that movement.

So, either change the exercise, pre-fatigue your triceps, and/or strengthen your shoulders more.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Am I rite?
    Bad idea IMO. The shoulders play a key role in stabilizing you on the movement and if your shoulders are fatigued you'll be forced to dip a lot less weight.

My advice would be to make the exercise as strict as possible for triceps: elbows tucked + body vertical. And if you want to exhaust the triceps, think "post-exhaust" rather than "pre-exhaust" and hit them with isos like overhead extensions and pushdowns after your sets of dips.

You might also want to incorporate close-grip bench press into your training if you're not satisfied with the results you're getting from dips.

BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BurgerPimp07 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DJAuto View Post
    Well, normally your triceps would fatigue first.

Second, if your shoulders were comparably weak and fatigued first, pre-exhausting them would serve no purpose.
    Ugh, huge typo, I meant to say that shoulders are the bigger muscle so they would fatigue after tri's.

Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    Bad idea IMO. The shoulders play a key role in stabilizing you on the movement and if your shoulders are fatigued you'll be forced to dip a lot less weight.

My advice would be to make the exercise as strict as possible for triceps: elbows tucked + body vertical. And if you want to exhaust the triceps, think "post-exhaust" rather than "pre-exhaust" and hit them with isos like overhead extensions and pushdowns after your sets of dips.

You might also want to incorporate close-grip bench press into your training if you're not satisfied with the results you're getting from dips.
    I've tried it and I have to say, I did a LOT less weight and had trouble keeping my body steady/a lot of shaking.

Thanks for your replies.

Dr. Animal, OD, Natty Pro The_Animal11's Avatar
    The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_Animal11 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ugh, huge typo, I meant to say that shoulders are the bigger muscle so they would fatigue after tri's.

I've tried it and I have to say, I did a LOT less weight and had trouble keeping my body steady/a lot of shaking.

Thanks for your replies.
    lol thats what makes it hard and effective! performing a movement with strict form often makes it harder. pre-fatiguing the weaker muscle is just gunna make the weaker muscle even weaker for the movement in question though.

i would just suggest working shoulders to bring them up to par with your tris and chest strength and endurane-wise
    Last edited by The_Animal11; 09-01-2008 at 01:33 PM.
    WWJD-What Would Jesus Deadlift?

May God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you really CAN make a difference in this world, so that you are able, with God's grace, to do what others claim cannot be done. -From the Four-Fold Franciscan Blessing

Who Says I Can't Pack on Mass (my log)?
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146406963

richbodyfit.com<--- awesome trainer and workout partner!