rm269 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cortisone shot for shoulder tendonitis?

I have tendonitis in my shoulder. When I previously had tendonitis in my elbow, cortisone shots gave me relief from the pain for a month or two. My orthopedist is now suggesting a cortisone shot for my shoulder. Anyone have any experience that would give me some guidance?

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cortisone is only a temporary not a solution.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rpaul11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've never actually had a cortizone shot so this is not direct experience...but....these shots are purely to relive pain and lessen inflamation. If there is a physical problem with the shoulder beyond what rest will cure....the shot will not provide any long term benefit. If it is something that can heal on it's own, the shot may provide you with some relief and aid in healing.

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by rm269 View Post
    I have tendonitis in my shoulder. When I previously had tendonitis in my elbow, cortisone shots gave me relief from the pain for a month or two. My orthopedist is now suggesting a cortisone shot for my shoulder. Anyone have any experience that would give me some guidance?
    I think it will help and probably be great if you do not want to lift anymore. It can only do so much as far as healing you so when you go right back to doing the same thing the problem reoccurs.

I suggest you get the shot then wait a couple of weeks and go back to lifting, BUT not before you have a long talk with all the geniuses here about why you are injuring your shoulder. Is it your ego, is it a form problem, are you doing behind the neck presses, etc. The problem with my shoulder occurred because I was doing shrugs so heavy it was pulling that bone on the side down onto the ball. I quit the super-heavy shrugs and it went away. I was just days away from going under the knife when I decided to try the cortisone.

So my suggestion is get the shot and then after it has done it's magic come back a smarter lifter who works around a problem rather than running into the same wall again...If that does not work face the blade.

DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000) DNG is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rm269 View Post
    Presumably this is rotator cuff tendonitis? I'm just getting over the same thing.

The good news - UNlike elbow tendonitis, rotator cuff tendonitis goes away fairly quickly (per my reading, and my experiences).

So I don't see much wrong with getting the shot, and treating the shoulder carefully for a few months. Then - when the cortizone wears off, you'll be in good shape anyway.

A decent alternative is taking Aleve (an NSAID) before your workouts.
    Regards,

Duncan

Workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=6716581

matt1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I have had it!

I had the shot in my left shoulder,My shoulder felt like it would fall off for a few days,Then got progressively
    better I still get an occasional tweek if i move just right.
    I originally was very against having it done But now am very glade that I did......
    Thanx for your time,
    MATT

dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000) dartol is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I just had one on monday this week too. Doc thought I had a torn scubscapularis (internal rotator) but the MRI showed otherwise. One month of PT, one month of my own therapy and nada... he finally did the shot as a last effort before surgery to see what is going on in there. I agree, if it is just inflammation then the shot should help. If it is something else, then it won't. That is what the doc said too.

Here are some great articles that might help you in this post.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...11&postcount=8

Oh, the doc said you have a LIFETIME limit of 2 cortisone shots in the shoulder location though! He said beyond that, it starts to weaken the tissues you are trying to heal.

Darren
    Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki

I'm back, visit my new journal! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=455993991

oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oldsuperman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Cortisone is only a temporary not a solution.
    IME, this is a yes and no. I've had two shot in my right elbow and one in the front side of the left, I think the biceps tendon? Anyway, the first one was wonderful and immediately felt better! Hallelujah! I'M HEALED! Welllllll, not really. Came right back because it wasn't healed. Just the pain was gone. After a few months, got another one and this time I was very careful. Did some light weight training 2 wks after and slowly over the next 6 wks until I was back into full swing. Now, I listen to my body very carefully and keep things iced and if something starts to hurt, then DON'T DO IT! Find another movement that works the same muscles, yet not stress the injured or hurting area. Would I do the shoulder tho? Probably not.

Originally Posted by DNG View Post
    Presumably this is rotator cuff tendonitis? I'm just getting over the same thing.

The good news - UNlike elbow tendonitis, rotator cuff tendonitis goes away fairly quickly (per my reading, and my experiences).

So I don't see much wrong with getting the shot, and treating the shoulder carefully for a few months. Then - when the cortizone wears off, you'll be in good shape anyway.

A decent alternative is taking Aleve (an NSAID) before your workouts.
    With my shoulders, I have had this same experience and the shoulder heals quite easily by icing before and after, anti inflams, and don't do movements that aggravate the hurting area.
    CHECK OUT MY INTERVIEW WITH "SIMPLYSHREDDED"
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/ed-cook-interview.html

2009 Bodyspace Member of The Year!

http://www.********.com/group.php?gid=180967149598&v=info#/event.php?eid=264800703001&ref=nf