NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Has Anyone Tried Calorie Cycling - 1 Week Surplus, 1 Week Deficit?

Thinking of trying something new: Eating a bulking diet for one week, then a cutting diet for one week, repeat.

Primary goal: gain more muscle
    Secondary goal: lose fat

I'm hoping this plan will help me achieve both. I'm interested in hearing from others who have tried this - and the results you got from it. Even if you haven't tried it, please feel free to share your thoughts about why you think this would work - or wouldn't work.

One of the reasons I decided to give this a shot is because, frankly, I find it difficult to do a long bulk and/or a long cut. I'm not planning any shows/competitions, so I have some leeway with this.
    "If you're looking for a quick fix, you're in the wrong sport. Bodybuilding is a lifetime journey, not an overnight jaunt." - NaturalMsO

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    "Yes, the women are taking over."
    ★☆★★☆

xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000) xXBoStErXx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NaturalMsO View Post
    Thinking of trying something new: Eating a bulking diet for one week, then a cutting diet for one week, repeat.

Primary goal: gain more muscle
    Secondary goal: lose fat

I'm hoping this plan will help me achieve both. I'm interested in hearing from others who have tried this - and the results you got from it. Even if you haven't tried it, please feel free to share your thoughts about why you think this would work - or wouldn't work.

One of the reasons I decided to give this a shot is because, frankly, I find it difficult to do a long bulk and/or a long cut. I'm not planning any shows/competitions, so I have some leeway with this.
    When I was cutting from 205 to where I am now I calorie/ carb cycled. I did a week of carb cycling, but i love carbs too much so than I did calorie cycling. I'm not sure if calorie cycling has any specific benefits other than it's easier to create a deficit.

I'd suggest calorie cycling to you, if you think that it would help you create a deficit longer. IE wouldnt give up on the cut. But, make sure you dont over do the calories on off days etc. I'd suggest a 1 week followed by maintenance or even break it up by the days 3 days a week eat maintenance 4 days eat -500 and your down almost 1 lb of fat a week, probably would be beneficial for maintaining your lean mass too.

Good luck
    The only person I compete against is myself, the cruelest of opponents
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124389261 =Summer Cut Log.

NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NaturalMsO is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thank you for your reply. I'd probably increase everything (protein, fat and carbs - but especially fat and carbs) during my bulk week. During the cut week, I'd focus on decreasing carbs and increasing cardio. And repeat.

Anyone else have any thoughts and/or experience on this?...
    "If you're looking for a quick fix, you're in the wrong sport. Bodybuilding is a lifetime journey, not an overnight jaunt." - NaturalMsO

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆

Son21387 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Son21387 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Son21387 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Son21387 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Son21387 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Son21387 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Son21387 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Son21387 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yea true or during my "maintence" phase I would just cut out the cardio and eat normal and my cutting week eat the same incoporate cardio..

I do both calorie and carb cycling. I guess if you are cutting out carbs u are cutting out calories, but all in all calorie dip/surplus, and usually they came from carbohydrate b/c I had a steady protein intake roughly 1.3-1.5 grams of protein per body weight

imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000) imccarthy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You might have limited results but in all honesty your such a program would leave your body in a constant state of metabolic flux... in the end you would probably make no progress. Very little muscle can be synthesized in 7 days and the bulk would limit any fat loss.

Carb/calorie cycling may allow you to gain a bit of muscle while losing some fat - high calorie/carb days on weight training days will increase protein synthesis while low calorie/carb days on rest days will keep the fat off.

With such extreme protocols you are going to have to experiment.
    Food quality does not change the laws of thermodynamics. Provided you consume adequate protein, EFAs, fiber, and vitamins and minerals you can eat whatever you want.

The only difference between a 'clean' and a 'dirty' food is how much of it you eat.

The Glycemic Index is meaningless unless you eat carbs alone in a fasted state. As soon as you add fat, protein, or fiber to a meal or have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours the GI is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by imccarthy View Post
    You might have limited results but in all honesty your such a program would leave your body in a constant state of metabolic flux... in the end you would probably make no progress. Very little muscle can be synthesized in 7 days and the bulk would limit any fat loss.

Carb/calorie cycling may allow you to gain a bit of muscle while losing some fat - high calorie/carb days on weight training days will increase protein synthesis while low calorie/carb days on rest days will keep the fat off.

With such extreme protocols you are going to have to experiment.
    That's exactly what I plan on doing; and it's what I'm hoping will result from this diet. True, not much muscle can be synthesized in a week, however, if I keep cycling my calories that way for several months, long-term progress will add up. Hopefully...

★☆★★☆
    "MRS tAkin ova?"
    ★☆★★☆