Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Donkey Calf Raises...

I live in a small town & workout at the local YMCA, we are 6 months away from completion of our new facility, so right now it's little to no frills when it comes to equipment (most of it is hand-me downs from sister YMCA's). Anyway, I've been in need of a killer calf workout so I built my own calf-block & fixed up the existing dip belt & VOILA!(sp) In my experience nothing feels better than some donkey calf raises! I remember in the ol' days when I had to convince someone to get on my back & hold a dumbbell/plate. I did compound sets of DCR's & calf presses on the leg press, man it sucks having a straight drive truck on leg day! In honor of TANK, I killed the steel today!
    Just for fun I lift up heavy things until it hurts because it feels so good when I stop!
    =======================================
    To build a temple, you've got to start with a strong foundation!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Donkeys are another forgotten exercise, lost in the maze of machinery in the modern gym. The fact that you start out bent over at the waist, causing your hammies to be pre-stretched, allows you to hit your calves in a unique way. Definitely worth the effort!
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Registered User alec_braithwait's Avatar
    alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ah yes, I remember the days when I was living in Mobile AL, trying to persude a member of staff at the gym to sit on my back so I could do those.

9 times of 10 I'd have to do regular raises, it's not the same though, you really do feel your muscles have that extra stretch when you are bent over.

raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50) raffim will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Donkey Calf Raises is what got me hooked on this sport. After doing them for the first time and feeling that burn in my calves (could barely walk) I knew this was something I would do for a long time.

Yeah, if you have to, get someone to sit on your back or something..... do whatever you gotta do till you get some decent equipment....

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

I don't mind spotting some guy, but riding him, don't set with me.

All you have to do is put a barbell on your shoulders, stand with your toes on a 2 x 4 (flat side down) and do calf raises.

This way you lift your entire body along with the weight of the barbell.

It's not hard to keep your balance either.

---------------------------------------
    HST is my choice of training
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/index.html

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Donkeys are another forgotten exercise, lost in the maze of machinery in the modern gym.
    Try to imagine this; me and my two sons (15 & 17 at the time) working out at home. The oldest decides he wants to do DCRs. The youngest son is told to mount up. I'm standing there watching when the oldest looks up at me. I kinda shake my head like, "this doesn't look right"....and the oldest convulses with laughter, causing the younger brother to fall off . I guess you had to be there, but it was pretty damn funny.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50) alec_braithwait will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by domineaux View Post
    I don't mind spotting some guy, but riding him, don't set with me.

All you have to do is put a barbell on your shoulders, stand with your toes on a 2 x 4 (flat side down) and do calf raises.

This way you lift your entire body along with the weight of the barbell.

It's not hard to keep your balance either.

---------------------------------------
    I have to disagree, if you are bent over at 90 degrees, you are stretching your hams and calves before they are even beginning to do any work.

The whole point of this exercise is to put the weight on the hips directly over the calves and hams. If you have the weight on your shoulders, you'd be flat on your face because you would never be able to keep balance.
    Attached Images

domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50) domineaux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by alec_braithwait View Post
    I have to disagree, if you are bent over at 90 degrees, you are stretching your hams and calves before they are even beginning to do any work.

The whole point of this exercise is to put the weight on the hips directly over the calves and hams. If you have the weight on your shoulders, you'd be flat on your face because you would never be able to keep balance.
    Everyone to his own way of doing it. Here is a video and this dude isn't falling on his face either.

It is easier with dumbbells or a smith machine for sure.

Regardless, I prefer the calf machine where I lift my whole body straight up.
    Last edited by domineaux; 08-25-2008 at 05:01 PM.
    HST is my choice of training
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/index.html

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have to agree with Alec here. Domineaux, what you posted is simply a standing calf raise. Alec's jpeg is exactly what a donkey calf raise is.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) foobar68 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is a very innovative approach this may help if you have problem getting someone to sit on your back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMn_E7Q_dLQ
    Last edited by foobar68; 08-25-2008 at 06:32 PM.
    "The best way to make your dream come true is to wake up" ~ Paul Valery
    So wake up, forget past mistakes,
    forget you ever failed,
    in fact, forget everything.
    Step up and release that animal inside.

Yeah, that's definitely innovative!

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by foobar68 View Post
    Here is a very innovative approach this may help if you have problem getting someone to sit on your back.

Wow, I have GOT to try those. Thanks for finding the video.

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

I'm gonna try that. Thanks. Is it just me or is the guy in the vid inadvertently rounding his lower back? Or is that the correct way to do them? I'd imagine if you kept the lower back straight, you'd get a better stretch on your hammies.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    Is it just me or is the guy in the vid inadvertently rounding his lower back? Or is that the correct way to do them? I'd imagine if you kept the lower back straight, you'd get a better stretch on your hammies.
    I don't think it would make a lot of difference, since the belt is right over the hips, and the lower back isn't directly loaded. A clever way around not having a training partner, or two!

BTW, foobar68, that's a good find on the vid!
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 08-25-2008 at 10:46 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Do it or don't do it... tomdana's Avatar
    tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tomdana is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Great find

I did them on the smith but under the bar with a pad on my low back, and it was not the most comfy way to do it. Thanks
    Do it or Don't do it, There is no try

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tomdana View Post
    I did them on the smith but under the bar with a pad on my low back, and it was not the most comfy way to do it. Thanks
    Yeah, that sounds nasty. One could also try DCR's in a vertical leg press, but I've yet to see one outside the Internet.

Thanks for posting that link, got it in my bb favorites now and will be using it at the gym. I am sure my trainer will enjoy killing my calves with that one

Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Reid04 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Very Innovative!

That was a very unique way of doing DCR's , no doubt , thanks for the video!
    Just for fun I lift up heavy things until it hurts because it feels so good when I stop!
    =======================================
    To build a temple, you've got to start with a strong foundation!

Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000) Do_Somethin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Reid04 View Post
    I live in a small town & workout at the local YMCA, we are 6 months away from completion of our new facility, so right now it's little to no frills when it comes to equipment (most of it is hand-me downs from sister YMCA's). Anyway, I've been in need of a killer calf workout so I built my own calf-block & fixed up the existing dip belt & VOILA!(sp) In my experience nothing feels better than some donkey calf raises! I remember in the ol' days when I had to convince someone to get on my back & hold a dumbbell/plate. I did compound sets of DCR's & calf presses on the leg press, man it sucks having a straight drive truck on leg day! In honor of TANK, I killed the steel today!
    That's a fantastic idea! I may have to try that next calf day. I have a dip belt and the Y I'm at has a platform I do calf raises with and if that isn't high enough for the belt I can try something else to do it with.
    Sharp thinking!

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by alec_braithwait View Post
    Thanks for posting that picture. I'm reading this thread without a clue what a DCR is. Definitely have never seen that in action!
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by domineaux View Post
    Everyone to his own way of doing it. Here is a video and this dude isn't falling on his face either.

It is easier with dumbbells or a smith machine for sure.

Regardless, I prefer the calf machine where I lift my whole body straight up.
    no way to stretch the calves, FTL

dcr's are the boss calf developer
    currently cutting..... again!!

"most people have absolutely no idea what they're capable of" --me

chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chitown70 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Awesome idea! Now I'm debating whether or not to get Smith out of storage and lugging it to the city to complement the power rack.
    Team Kelei

da bears, cubs, bulls

MAGA